Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

How I Use Serato DJ - Library Organization pt 2

11:02 PM, 19 Jul 2017
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
kvnkrz 1:29 AM - 24 July, 2017
Is it possible for serato to discover the new tracks added in your folders? without needing to import them. Cause if not they don't appear in SDJ
Nonstophustle 7:36 PM - 25 July, 2017
I love these articles but it would be nice to add an article talking about using a external hard drive for Serato DJ. Cause at times when I open serato dj I go into Netflix mode. Where I can't find what I'm looking for or just stuck. I have all my music on the external drive. So Serato what are your experiences with a external hard drive and separating music that can stay on your hard drive of your computer. I don't have lot space on Macbook Pro 13 retina 256g. What's the advice or the solution beside add more space to my computer? Just want a little insight of different ways to handle your external hard drive when it comes to space. Also management of time with dealing with external hard drives.
Mayeski 10:07 PM - 25 July, 2017
Quote:
What's the advice or the solution beside add more space to my computer? Just want a little insight of different ways to handle your external hard drive when it comes to space. Also management of time with dealing with external hard drives.

In my experience, the only way to use Serato with an external library (flash drive, hard drive, etc) is to actively use the music on your removable device as your Serato library. Meaning you will import the tracks from your USB stick into your Serato library on your laptop. You can then go in and set up your cue points and gain levels and set up as usual. This should save automatically, so there's no exporting, per say, but any time you change any specific track (renaming the file, moving locations, etc) the cue points will be lost and you'd have to reanalyze them. That information is saved to the exact file; though it's typically not a problem. The one downside is it could be quite a bit slower in the software (analyzing, saving cue points and meta data) due to the limitations of USB. To be fair, I haven't used USB3.0 with this technique and it could be no problem. Good luck! This is what I was doing when I was using Rekordbox and Serato simultaneously using the same library of files on a USB stick.
dri 12:24 AM - 26 July, 2017
Quote:
I love these articles but it would be nice to add an article talking about using a external hard drive for Serato DJ. Cause at times when I open serato dj I go into Netflix mode. Where I can't find what I'm looking for or just stuck. I have all my music on the external drive. So Serato what are your experiences with a external hard drive and separating music that can stay on your hard drive of your computer. I don't have lot space on Macbook Pro 13 retina 256g. What's the advice or the solution beside add more space to my computer? Just want a little insight of different ways to handle your external hard drive when it comes to space. Also management of time with dealing with external hard drives.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:22 AM - 28 July, 2017
Quote:
Is it possible for serato to discover the new tracks added in your folders? without needing to import them. Cause if not they don't appear in SDJ

You could use this feature - serato.com
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:25 AM - 28 July, 2017
Quote:

Hey man,

This article is purely my own process of how I use Serato DJ. I don't use an external hard drive but you could use the same method but have your crates saved on your external hard drive, these crates will appear whenever it is connected.

You may find this helpful - support.serato.com

Cheers.
neoless 9:44 AM - 1 August, 2017
It all depends on the quality of the recording. The format of the recording matters too. If you export music in Serato or on other platforms. It is clear to all. Use good acoustics, music center before exporting to digital media.
Darrin Howard 6:33 PM - 2 August, 2017
Can Serato DJ please make there new software version to support prolink connection on the pioneer CDJ's
Neuron132 11:34 PM - 28 September, 2017
Quote:

It should be no different than storage on the OS drive. I have never stored my music internally (except for a basic "rescue" folder with some key tracks, encoded at lower bitrate and in mono, in case of external HD failure). When I started digitally DJing in 2001 or so (using PCDJ), my laptop had a 20 GB hard drive, so external was the only option!

-Ron
vjMeely 3:50 AM - 29 September, 2017
Guess everyone is going to want to organize in whatever way feels comfortable.

Having said that, what feels comfortable doesn't mean efficient. I have seen some real sloppy looking crates.

I organize my library according to what i think makes sense and my workflow.

I think most DJs will play music according to genre then era and so I think starting with that structure, is a great start.
DJ SKaDRE 3:54 AM - 29 September, 2017
Is there a method that allows one to put crates in alphabetical order.