DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speakers

DJ 6 Foot 6 4:45 AM - 17 July, 2017
I have 2 EV ZLX 15's and I will be doing a grad party of about 350 people or less the hall is mid size or a little bigger than that it can fit 350 people comfortably. This will be my first true gig (I'm nervous) it's about 3 weeks away so I have time... I'm just wondering with my 2 ZLX's will that be enough paired with 2 18inch subwoofers to cover the 350 people supposedly coming? The dance floor will be close to the speakers and the sitting tables where the guest will sit and will be behind the dance floor.
pdidy 4:54 AM - 17 July, 2017
What 18inch subwoofers ? Details are important.....
pdidy 4:57 AM - 17 July, 2017
Two neighboring farmers had a problem with their plow horses breaking through the fence and getting mixed up. They couldn't tell them apart, so they tried various methods to ID them, first cutting off the mane of one...but it grew back.

They then tried putting some paint markings on one but it washed off.

Finally they decided to measure them. That's when they found out that the white horse was 6" taller than the black horse.

Details are important ;)
DJ 6 Foot 6 11:31 AM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:
Two neighboring farmers had a problem with their plow horses breaking through the fence and getting mixed up. They couldn't tell them apart, so they tried various methods to ID them, first cutting off the mane of one...but it grew back.

They then tried putting some paint markings on one but it washed off.

Finally they decided to measure them. That's when they found out that the white horse was 6" taller than the black horse.

Details are important ;)

I have one harbinger 18 V2218s thinking about renting another
Mr.Dj-Jace 6:02 PM - 18 July, 2017
350 people with a pair of zlx tops and one harbinger sub? Hmmm... A graduation party will be loud. I doubt that system will cut through that crowd noise. Even if you rent or buy a second matching sub for your system, 350 teen adults will highly likely drown your set-up. Gonna be limiting your speakers for most of the gig. Specially when you play bass heavy music. This is only my gut feeling from 23 years experience. Personally I would go rent higher quality tops and subs.
DJ 6 Foot 6 7:00 PM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
350 people with a pair of zlx tops and one harbinger sub? Hmmm... A graduation party will be loud. I doubt that system will cut through that crowd noise. Even if you rent or buy a second matching sub for your system, 350 teen adults will highly likely drown your set-up. Gonna be limiting your speakers for most of the gig. Specially when you play bass heavy music. This is only my gut feeling from 23 years experience. Personally I would go rent higher quality tops and subs.

Ok what do u recommend for me to rent? I really thought my 15s tops could be enough for the high end
pdidy 9:08 PM - 18 July, 2017
I think your system will be in inadequate for that size event. I think you will be lacking in output but most likely nobody will complain. I say go ahead and use it anyway and learn from any mistakes.
Mr.Dj-Jace 9:09 PM - 18 July, 2017
Look into the Qsc Kw series like the kw122 for tops and a pair of Kw181 for subs.

Other tops to look into are:
Ev Etx12p
Yamaha Dsr112p
Jbl Srx812p

Other subs to look at are:
Ev Etx18sp
Yamaha dxs18s
Yorkville Ls801p
Jbl Srx818p
Jbl Vrx918sp

These are ideal. Keep in mind these subs have serious weight to them, make sure you can transport them.