Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

RCA to xlr for speakers

tuf91128 3:20 PM - 14 July, 2017
I have a ddj-sb2 which only comes with master rca. Im trying to use rca to xlr to use my speakers, but i heard that the longer the wire, sound quality will be lost. Is there a way to balance it without losing sound quality?
DJ Tecniq 5:14 PM - 14 July, 2017
Never ever heard of that what kind of speakers are you using? I use Hosa dual RCA to 1/4 TS cables with no issues at all. It Depends on what speakers you use my QSC's XLR connections are cross compatible with 1/4 TS so it's not an issue for me. www.amazon.com
tuf91128 6:52 PM - 14 July, 2017
Im using behringer b112d. It has a typical xlr output, im just tryin to connect them to my ddj.
DJ Tecniq 7:23 PM - 14 July, 2017
Quote:
Im using behringer b112d. It has a typical xlr output, im just tryin to connect them to my ddj.
Yours are just like my QSC's they are cross compatible. The 1/4 end connects into the middle. The cables I linked you to will work as well.
DJ Tecniq 7:29 PM - 14 July, 2017
The XLR inputs are combo inputs which XLR or 1/4 will connect. So you can use RCA to Male XLR cables or RCA to 1/4 TS cables. Either or work the same. I have the SB2 and use RCA to 1/4 inch for soundboards and my speakers. Hope that helps.
tuf91128 10:38 PM - 17 July, 2017
Great also how would connect 2 of the b112ds together too? Here is a link if how the back looks.
www.amazon.com
DJ Tecniq 12:05 AM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
Great also how would connect 2 of the b112ds together too? Here is a link if how the back looks.
www.amazon.com
the only way to do this is feed the left rca cable to one speaker and the right rca to the other. The SB2 only has one master rca output so that's the only way.
Laz219 2:35 PM - 3 September, 2017
I think you've missed the initial point of this thread Tecniq.

You controller does have unbalanced outs which does mean with longer cable runs you will lose quality.
If you don't need to use long cable runs it won't be an issue, otherwise if you want to increase your signal quality for long runs you'd want to look at an external mixer (connected by a short cable run) or a balance box.

I can't find a high enough resolution photo of the behringers to be able to read their connectors, I'd expect they have a link cable though that allows you to feed signal to one and then output it to the second speaker.
DJ Tecniq 10:31 PM - 3 September, 2017
Quote:
You controller does have unbalanced outs which does mean with longer cable runs you will lose quality
Interesting I didn't think a longer cable run would make a difference in audio quality I mean how long are we talking? I only need a good 10-12ft my sound system is usually right next to me.
Laz219 2:28 AM - 4 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
You controller does have unbalanced outs which does mean with longer cable runs you will lose quality
Interesting I didn't think a longer cable run would make a difference in audio quality I mean how long are we talking? I only need a good 10-12ft my sound system is usually right next to me.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 2:46 AM - 4 September, 2017
But in this video he mentions the TRS 1/4 connection is a balanced signal. Even though the controller is a rca output (unbalanced) aren't we still converting the signal to balanced because of the TRS end or am I missing something. Rca to rca would be unbalanced. RCA to TRS would be balanced. right?
Laz219 3:04 AM - 4 September, 2017
Changing the connector on the end doesn't change the signal that went into the lead though. If the output was unbalanced- it is an unbalanced signal going through that cable no matter what connector is on the end.

To convert it to a balanced signal you'd need to run it throughal something that can actually create the balanced signal (a converter box or an external mixer) preferably with the shortest unbalanced run possible before the mixer/box.
DJ Tecniq 6:12 AM - 4 September, 2017
Quote:
To convert it to a balanced signal you'd need to run it throughal something that can actually create the balanced signal (a converter box or an external mixer) preferably with the shortest unbalanced run possible before the mixer/box.
So running it through a sound board would make no difference?