Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Apple macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta

John Calipari 5:29 PM - 3 July, 2017
Downloaded the Beta this morning. I'm sure it will be the first of many as I hae used nothing but Apple Beta OSes since Yosemite

Did a Time Machine Back-up of my current Drive and unplugged the Time-Capsule Drive for safe keeping.

Going all in with the full APFS File System implementation as APFS is the main draw of High Sierra.

Going to create a USB Installer and do a Clean-Install, then migrate all of my Apps and Settings from my Sierra Time Capsule Back-up.

I'm an experienced Beta Tester using a 2nd Macbook Pro. My prediction is that the OS itself will work with expected results.

I'm testing Software: Serato DJ w/Ableton Link, Ableton Live 9.7 Beta, Logic Pro X, some Major VST's/AU's, Final Cut X, Adobe CS6, and some other major apps all under High Sierra.

I'll also be testing Hardware: Ableton Push 2, DDJ-SZ2, NS7III, MCX4000, and anything else I can get this Macbook Pro Hooked up to.

If anyone needs to know specific behavior of any of the above, let me know, I'll be making notes.
popnwave 10:16 PM - 3 July, 2017
Interested to see what results you get. Unlike the iOS implementation of APFS, which has been pretty darn awesome. I have heard complaints from my friends on lots of oddities with backups and other day to day operations using the new file system.
John Calipari 5:44 PM - 4 July, 2017
All my software except ADOBE Encore and an older version of Final Cut X work.

But High Sierra is a memory hog unlike I've never seen. A 16GB Machine and it's using about 8GB right from the boot, before running anything . . . and spotlight is disabled.

I'm thinking that efficient memory compression has not been implemented yet or APFS is learning the machine and my apps.

But regular tasks as fast as hell. Safari is as fast as I've ever seen it.

Still much testing to do but nice to see that SDJ and Ableton apparently work fine under APFS filing system.
John Calipari 2:19 PM - 13 July, 2017
The initial High Sierra 10.13 Beta 1 17A269M build was a resource hog right from the restart.

But 10.13 Beta 2 update is exactly the opposite. After I did the update latest, I had almost 14GB free with MacOS HS B2 only using a little over 2GB of RAM.

And it's super fast App to App, Serato and Live 9.7 Beta apparently run rock solid at least for the 2 hours that I used them. Even while running Serato alongside Safari, I maintained almost 13GB free and minimal CPU usage.

Being this is the APFS Filing System and my Macbook has never ran better & faster, High Sierra may be the last MacOS that I have on this particular MacBook.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:03 AM - 13 September, 2017
Hi John

Thanks for these reports. I actually read them some time ago and meant to get in touch, but hey, here we are now :)

Just wanted to see if you've run into anything along the way, and of course if you've had any issues with BETA 9 (17A360a)? We've been doing some initial testing and are waiting for the GM/RC to do our official sweep, but are always keen to hear about people's experience.

Cheers, Aaron
John Calipari 2:15 AM - 17 September, 2017
Quote:
Hi John

Thanks for these reports. I actually read them some time ago and meant to get in touch, but hey, here we are now :)

Just wanted to see if you've run into anything along the way, and of course if you've had any issues with BETA 9 (17A360a)? We've been doing some initial testing and are waiting for the GM/RC to do our official sweep, but are always keen to hear about people's experience.

Cheers, Aaron

No issues at all thus far. Smooth as silk
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:34 AM - 18 September, 2017
Awesome, thanks!
dj.kinetic 6:30 PM - 18 September, 2017
The GM (Golden Master) Build was just released a couple days ago..which is what the final release build will be usually..has anyone tested for issues?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:57 PM - 18 September, 2017
It's still GM 'candidate' (rather than GM 'seed') at this stage unfortunately. Apple's cutting it very fine this year...
Niro 5:03 PM - 19 September, 2017
I'm hoping we get a fix for the hot plugging issue with the MBP Touch bars :)
popnwave 10:56 PM - 19 September, 2017
If it's anything like iOS 11, you're best off waiting for the first update..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:32 PM - 19 September, 2017
FYI for anyone interested, there have been changes made in High Sierra that affect device connection -> support.serato.com
Dj Ricky Redz 11:40 AM - 20 September, 2017
glad to hear things are looking positive here!
John Calipari 5:43 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
FYI for anyone interested, there have been changes made in High Sierra that affect device connection -> support.serato.com

In a NON-Serato/Controller situation, I unfortunately found that getting rid of old installed drivers of any kind that I no longer need can be next to impossible. High Sierra's security measures or protection from User tinkering is at an all time macOS high.

Some of these drivers had existed since Mountain Lion and just been migrated over the years via Migration Assistant post-macOS annual updates.
Caley Martin 5:50 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

In a NON-Serato/Controller situation, I unfortunately found that getting rid of old installed drivers of any kind that I no longer need can be next to impossible. High Sierra's security measures or protection from User tinkering is at an all time macOS high.

Some of these drivers had existed since Mountain Lion and just been migrated over the years via Migration Assistant post-macOS annual updates.

Are you able to bypass that roadblock by disabling SIP?
John Calipari 6:10 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you able to bypass that roadblock by disabling SIP?

I did once from the terminal, but that was on early Dev Beta 1 or 2. The last time I tried it, I got the "xxxxx cannot be deleted because macOS cannot function" or something like that. Apparently some drivers install in different extension directories depending on the nature of their duties and how critical they seemingly are to macOS.

I probably could uninstall a DDJ-SZ driver in 30 seconds, but a driver for an old Thunderbolt/USB/Ethernet Dock? Best of luck
Caley Martin 6:54 PM - 21 September, 2017
That's odd... I have previously disabled SIP, and, have full access to moving/deleting old kexts from either of the two locations where they reside in macOS High Sierra ( /Library and /System/Library).

I would verify that SIP is indeed disabled, it may have been re-enabled for whatever reason via one of the subsequent Beta updates.
John Calipari 7:15 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
That's odd... I have previously disabled SIP, and, have full access to moving/deleting old kexts from either of the two locations where they reside in macOS High Sierra ( /Library and /System/Library).

I would verify that SIP is indeed disabled, it may have been re-enabled for whatever reason via one of the subsequent Beta updates.

Could be. I may have re-enabled it right after I deleted the kext so as to keep everything secured from outside forces.

I do know that High Sierra stopped the ASIX automated uninstall scripts dead in it's tracks, whereas Sierra, El Cap, and Yosemite weren't so guarded & heavy handed.
Caley Martin 7:19 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Could be. I may have re-enabled it right after I deleted the kext so as to keep everything secured from outside forces.

I do know that High Sierra stopped the ASIX automated uninstall scripts dead in it's tracks, whereas Sierra, El Cap, and Yosemite weren't so guarded & heavy handed.

The joys of SKEL protection. ;)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:45 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
High Sierra's security measures or protection from User tinkering is at an all time macOS high.

Agreed. maciOS anyone...? ;)
SpinDoctor 2:14 PM - 9 January, 2018
When connecting Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 hardware to 2017 Mac Book Pro, (macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2) both decks show for split second then message says "ERROR: failed to connect to audio.

Then only 1 deck shows as if Serato DJ is not connected.

I did click on bottom right (MY SERATO) says device is connected.

Please recommend how I can fix this issue.
John Calipari 2:33 PM - 9 January, 2018
Quote:
When connecting Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 hardware to 2017 Mac Book Pro, (macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2) both decks show for split second then message says "ERROR: failed to connect to audio.

Please recommend how I can fix this issue.

I would file an error report with support . . .

but it does sound like SDJ is in standalone mode implying that it sees no hardware.

Is the Cable/Dongle reputable?

Have you installed the latest Pioneer Drivers for the SZ2? Re=Install & follow Pioneer's Driver install instructions to the letter. Maybe macOS is blocking the installation of the evasive driver or not signing it. Not sure if Pioneer is the same but I think you should try not having the SZ2 connected when installing the driver, at least that's how it works with Focusrite Interfaces.

After all that, I like to have the Hardware connected and on prior to opening SDJ. Not sure if it makes a difference, but that is my superstitious routine and I've never had an issue with SDJ not recognizing my hardware.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:35 PM - 9 January, 2018
Hi SpinDoctor

Quote:

Yes, this suggests it is the audio connection that is failing (and the MIDI connection is successful).

I would suggest re-installing the driver and make sure you have followed the steps in this guide: support.serato.com

If that doesn't work, starting a help request like John suggested (thanks John :) by hitting the green button next to the comment box would be the best idea.

Cheers, Aaron
SpinDoctor 4:11 AM - 11 January, 2018
Yes, this suggests it is the audio connection that is failing (and the MIDI connection is successful).

I would suggest re-installing the driver and make sure you have followed the steps in this guide: support.serato.com

If that doesn't work, starting a help request like John suggested (thanks John :) by hitting the green button next to the comment box would be the best idea.

Cheers, Aaron
======================================================================
HiAaron,

I did submit a help request.

So far I have done the following:

- Reset MacBook Pro to factory setting
- Reinstalled Serato DJ lastest version
- Uninstalled and Reinstalled Pioneer Drivers
- Confirmed Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 Firmware is updated

Restarted laptop, turned on DDJ-SZ, and opened Serato DJ - then below happened all over again.

When connecting Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 hardware to Mac Book Pro, (macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2) both decks show for split second then disappear. Receive message bottom left corner in Serato DJ saying "ERROR: failed to connect to audio.

Please let me know if you have instructions to correct this issue?
John Calipari 1:20 PM - 11 January, 2018
Quote:

Cheers, Aaron
======================================================================
HiAaron,

I did submit a help request.

So far I have done the following:

- Reset MacBook Pro to factory setting
- Reinstalled Serato DJ lastest version
- Uninstalled and Reinstalled Pioneer Drivers
- Confirmed Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 Firmware is updated

Restarted laptop, turned on DDJ-SZ, and opened Serato DJ - then below happened all over again.

When connecting Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 hardware to Mac Book Pro, (macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2) both decks show for split second then disappear. Receive message bottom left corner in Serato DJ saying "ERROR: failed to connect to audio.

Please let me know if you have instructions to correct this issue?

Did you try a new USB Adapter/Dongle and/or Cable?
SpinDoctor 12:41 AM - 12 January, 2018
Yes, i have new of everything...cables, adapters, whatever I could change out...I did. All original name brand .
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:45 AM - 12 January, 2018
Thanks for the info - what's your ticket number, man?

I'll take a look at it with whoever's on it.

Aaron
SpinDoctor 2:05 AM - 12 January, 2018
Ticket #384091