Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

UN F#&KING ACCEPTABLE!!!!!

dj vernon nyc 4:10 AM - 30 June, 2017
I USE SERATO DJ 1.9.6 AT HOME WITH MY PIONEER SET UP WHICH IS PLX1000'S AND A S9 MIXER. I PRACTICE AT LEAST 2 TO 4 HOURS EVERY OTHER DAY AND GUESS WHAT NO CRASHES! 1.9.6 PLAYS ALMOST AS GOOD AS SL 2.5! NOW I USE SDJ 1.9.6 IN MAY AT A EVENT WITH MY SX2,GUESS WHAT IT CRASHED 2 TIMES! SO TONIGHT I HAVE A EVENT FROM 6 TO 9 THE SPOT HAS ITS OWN SET WHICH IS A BRAND NEW PIONEER SX2,HOOK UP START PLAYING, 4 FUCKING CRASHES IN THE TIME OF THE EVENT 6 TO 9 PM! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE SERATO! 2 BAD CRASHES ON 2 DIFFERENT SX2? I AM NOT DOING THAT TICKET CRAP CAUSE ITS BULLSHIT! DO FUCKING BETTER SERATO!!! I DO HIGH DOLLAR EVENTS! NOT LOUNGES OR BARS SO YOU GUY'S WITH YOUR UNRELIABLE 1.9.6 ARE FUCKING UP MY REPUTATION! I WILL BE TAKING MY 62 WITH TT AND USE SL 2.5 AT ALL FUTURE EVENTS!!!
pdidy 4:55 AM - 30 June, 2017
Laptop year model specs ?
dj vernon nyc 12:16 PM - 30 June, 2017
pdidy thanks for answering my Mac book pro is used for one thing only music! When I get back home I'll get the specs. Plus I just realized this happened 3 times in the last 2 months! Cause last night was first time I used SDJ at a event cause I have been taking my TT+62 and using SL!
Sony311 3:37 PM - 30 June, 2017
Sometimes - power drops or spikes may cause spikes as well. If it doesn't crash at your house but at venues, it may be a power issue.

Just something to look at.
Sony311 3:38 PM - 30 June, 2017
Sorry meant to say "Crashes" instead of spikes
dj vernon nyc 4:37 PM - 30 June, 2017
Checked that first no spikes! I have a $50 surge protector!
dj vernon nyc 4:39 PM - 30 June, 2017
All 3 different venues had lines just for Dj's! 20 amp breakers!
DJ Tecniq 9:10 PM - 30 June, 2017
Maybe the SX2's are faulty. Quite a few bad units have been coming from Pioneer. My first S9 mixer was defective right out the box. Their quality control is a big problem. Been using my replacement mixer and have not had 1 crash with SDJ. As for Serato Video that's another story lol what a pile of shit...👎🏼
Laz219 2:51 AM - 1 July, 2017
I'd also be checking the firmware on the units.
dj vernon nyc 11:50 AM - 1 July, 2017
On my SX2 everything is up to date. The venue SX2 is brand new.Like i said before SDJ works great at home but, 3 times in the last month multiple crashes at different events!
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:05 PM - 1 July, 2017
these should help with your problem

i5.walmartimages.ca

and have a built in backup apparently
dj vernon nyc 12:15 PM - 1 July, 2017
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂@sparky
popnwave 5:13 PM - 3 July, 2017
Seriously though, there is some variable at your events that is causing the problem. The SX2 doesn't know you're away from home..
dj vernon nyc 5:42 PM - 3 July, 2017
Guys fellow Dj's please read
2 different SX2 and the same crash!
Did some research over the weekend when I didn't have to spin, SDJ 1.9.6 is real glitchy if you have any corrupt files in your library or files that are not there especially when it comes to controllers! Did a all test with my SX2 no crashes! Also you must keep your laptop cool cause SDJ 1.9.6 puts a real strain on your CPU!
DJ Tecniq 5:47 PM - 3 July, 2017
Not sure what laptop you're using mine stays very cool. As for the corrupt files you should know by now they do cause crashes even if the files aren't in your library. What is interesting is you used the same laptop with both units? How do you know it's the controllers and not your computer? If you don't know about SMCFancontrol you might want to download before your machine catches fire. My 2014 mbp doesn't have that problem.
DJ Tecniq 5:55 PM - 3 July, 2017
What other USB devices were you using besides the SX2? If you had two crashes then you need to send the crash reports to Serato they will determine the cause it's highly unlikely it's the controllers and yes corrupt files will ruin your gig or cause glitches with your library. They are corrupt they need to be completely deleted and trashed from your computer. Serato has always been sensitive to them even before SDJ.
dj vernon nyc 6:08 PM - 3 July, 2017
I'm using a Mac book pro 15" 2010 max out on ram and 1 TB memory it's sit on on if those cooling units that's not USB powered. It was just checked by Mac for any problems 2 weeks ago passed with flying colors!
dj vernon nyc 6:09 PM - 3 July, 2017
No other USB hooked up except SDJ
Dj cuervo 6:13 PM - 3 July, 2017
The Turntable setup is totally different setup and it is a lesser load on your macbook. Did you test the SX2 at home before your show? What MAC OSX version? Wifi, Bluetooth enabled? internal drive or external drive? Sounds like a conflict with another software on your macbook or the hard drive or driver issues with SX2? Send the crash log to serato support and they will find the root of the crash. Good Luck!!!
lofty 6:31 PM - 3 July, 2017
Sorry to hear about your crashes
But you said you are playing dollar events which means ....
Where was your backup?

I don't care what your specs are or how stable yiur system is IF YOU ARE PLAYING A GIG THAT MATTERS HAVE A BACKUP WIRED AMD READY .

Im not meaning any negativity towards you but it makes me laugh of people who have a system crash and blame the software
I've been in this game for over 25 years ever since the beginning always a backup plan
Extra turntables in the car extra needles plug speakers wires s*** can happen and if you are professional you need to be prepared

I know my system is Rock Solid but I still wire in a wego3 with an iPad running djay at any gig that matters (wedding / corporate)
If it's just a crappy bar gig I still have the backup case with me. Stuff happens

Anyways
Just my thoughts and ramblings

Cheers
DJ Tecniq 6:36 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:
I'm using a Mac book pro 15" 2010 max out on ram and 1 TB memory it's sit on on if those cooling units that's not USB powered. It was just checked by Mac for any problems 2 weeks ago passed with flying colors!
Most 2010 Macs had faulty graphics cards I know from experience my old Mid 2010 Mac would shutdown and restart on its own it was a piece of shit. My 2014 is way faster than my old 2010. The 2010's def have a problem with struggling. Any 2012 or above Mac would piss all over it just being honest. I would upgrade that old Mac soon with later versions it will run like shit just being honest.
popnwave 7:04 PM - 3 July, 2017
The 2010 15"s were first gen core i5/i7.

MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 15" Mid-2010
2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-520M)MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.53 15" Mid-2010
2.53 GHz Core i5 (I5-540M)MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.66 15" Mid-20102.66 GHz Core i7 (I7-620M)MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.8 15" Mid-20102.8 GHz Core i7 (I7-640M)

I'd run the oldest version of SDJ that will support the SX2 until you can upgrade your hardware.
dj vernon nyc 8:10 PM - 3 July, 2017
Thanks guys!!!
dj vernon nyc 8:12 PM - 3 July, 2017
Lofty I used to carry back ups but I got lazy thanks to technology! Not no more!
Marv Incredible 9:42 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:
The Turntable setup is totally different setup and it is a lesser load on your macbook

In my experience, DVS is a lot more taxing on the system than controllers/INT mode.
pdidy 11:11 AM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
Laptop year model specs ?

www.cnet.com
Dave. 4:53 AM - 5 July, 2017
@dj vernon nyc

Sorry to hear about the issues you ran into with Serato DJ crashing.

As you've experienced crashing issues across different hardware, it's safe to say that the issue is not hardware related.

I recommend double-checking that your Serato library is free of corrupt files.

The best way to do this is to completely analyze your library (this may take a while if you have large library), then remove any corrupt files and refresh your Serato databaseV2 file as suggested here:

- support.serato.com

If you're using an external drive, be sure to complete the databaseV2 refresh steps for the _Serato_ folder located on there too.

Let us know how you get on.
DJ Nostalgia 5:30 PM - 5 July, 2017
dj vernon nyc -

You start by saying you use "...PLX1000'S AND A S9 MIXER..." at home, then a Pioneer DDJ-SX2 'for gigs'...

Does SDJ 'crash' at home when using the 'SX2'? Are you using your own cables with both the SX2s you say you have tried, or are you using cables supplied by the venues?
dj vernon nyc 7:15 PM - 5 July, 2017
My cables at home are all new!
My cables going out with me are new! If you read the whole post the second crash was on a Brand new SX2 with new units come new cables! Plus yesterday it crashed at home on my SX2! Not as bad a crash the SX2 froze up! Once I cut it off and turned it back on no problems! Going to do what Serato said to do already delete corrupt MP3 files going to do any MP4 files and close all programs when using SDJ
Whatthewhat 2:00 PM - 7 July, 2017
Newbie with Serato and learning a lot. Im using decks with my setup but:

1) Have you tried other versions of Serato? Can you pinpoint that its 1.9.6? I see your other setup works fine with 1.9.6 but you never know.....

2) Have you checked the Firmware on the SX2? Looks like the last firmware update was from 2015.

www.pioneerdj.com

PS: That's a pretty bad dig for those folks who do DJ at lounges or bars. A paying gig is a paying gig and not everyone does residencies at clubs or have steady high end gigs. ;)
dj vernon nyc 4:18 PM - 7 July, 2017
Ok
Things done to help stop crashes on 1.9.6
1-analyze all your files MP3 and MP4 in your laptop and ext drives! Almost a all day thing if your library's are large
2- delete all corrupt files even if it's music or videos you use! Just get new files!
3- make sure your USB cables is top of the line and not for USB 3! All units from pioneer and rane are not usb3!
4- get a cooling stand for your laptop it helps a lot!
5- Have a back plan! Don't get lazy because of technology!😂😂😂😂
6- if you have the time do a party at home for a least 4 hours! Do everything you would do at a event! That way you can see the problem stress free!
djBern 4:41 AM - 8 July, 2017
My 2012 15" Macbook Pro USB ports started to get flaky and started causing intermittent crashes with SDJ and SSL (but more so with SDJ). I have been playing gigs with it for at least 4 years. I guess all those years of plugging/unplugging devices eventually wore them down or made the solder points flaky. I got a new 2015 Macbook Air which is not nearly as powerful as my old MBP but no crashes ever since then.

If you can, try a newer machine to eliminate flaky USB ports.
DaveVerne 7:38 AM - 9 July, 2017
I agree 100. Serato Di is fucking Trash! My DJ rep is fucking up at new residency, last night I played and the same issue again - Turned Master Tempo off on deck - Right Deck works - Left Deck no scope and all scrambled - Turn on Scratch Live straight away everything is working fine. And the loops are shit they have a mind of their own And automatically jump 4 bars before where you start the loop!

Scratch Live is just a million times more solid and reliable then SDJ. I will be deleting SDJ and sticking to scratch live from now on.
Dave. 9:47 PM - 9 July, 2017
@dj vernon nyc - great to hear analyzing your library and removing corrupt files worked for you.

@DaveVerne - sorry to hear about the trouble you're running into with Serato DJ. What version of Serato DJ are you running? What Serato DJ compatible hardware are you using? Mixer? Interface? What OS are you running on your computer?

Are you able to reproduce the same scope views on the opposite playing deck if you swap over your needles?

In the meantime, I'd suggest diagnosing the scope view you're seeing using our Diagnosing Scope Views article: support.serato.com
DaveVerne 1:59 AM - 10 July, 2017
Quote:
@dj vernon nyc - great to hear analyzing your library and removing corrupt files worked for you.

@DaveVerne - sorry to hear about the trouble you're running into with Serato DJ. What version of Serato DJ are you running? What Serato DJ compatible hardware are you using? Mixer? Interface? What OS are you running on your computer?

Are you able to reproduce the same scope views on the opposite playing deck if you swap over your needles?

In the meantime, I'd suggest diagnosing the scope view you're seeing using our Diagnosing Scope Views article: support.serato.com

This is in a club using the newest models of the CDJ 2000's, not turntable's so no needle's. Mixer is the DJM 900. Laptop I use is a macbook pro. Serato DJ always works at home fine as soon as go to this set up it's struggling, don't understand why Scratch Live worked, but Serato DJ didn't
Dave. 2:37 AM - 10 July, 2017
@DaveVerne - thanks for the further info and clarification.

What version of SDJ do you have installed on your computer?

Do you have the same setup at home? If not, what setup do you use?

Are you using HID mode or DVS in the club? How about at home?
DaveVerne 4:36 PM - 10 July, 2017
At home I have CDJ 800-5K's & a 2 channel pioneer DJM mixer. I don't use DVS I just mix music. I use Controll CD's (don't use HID mode) ....Im running latest version of SDJ 1.9.6 ....the main point here is that Scratch Live worked fine, but Serato DJ messed up (again)
Dave. 10:49 PM - 10 July, 2017
Quote:
I don't use DVS I just mix music. I use Controll CD's (don't use HID mode)

Control CDs = DVS

Can you please check that the CDJ2000s you're using have the most up-to-date firmware installed (v4.33).
- www.pioneerdj.com

I'm assuming you own a Rane SL interface - please check the firmware on this is up-to-date too (via the Rane Driver Panel).

Let me know if this helps.