DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

First Mobile Gig Equipment?

DJ 5DF 5:56 PM - 22 June, 2017
Hey Everyone,

I've been playing out at a couple small clubs and outdoor spots but got asked to DJ a fundraiser event at a Synagogue for pre-school parents and they're expecting around 200 people and a bunch of vendors. I have a SZ and flight case but obviously will have to rent speakers, mic etc. Any ideas on my best bet for 200 people at a synagogue? Will 2 K12's do the job? Still not sold on taking it either, they're only offering 200 but it's a spot where parents are setting up their kids bar/bat mtzvahs, so could be good exposure for new clients.

Thanks!
DJ Reflex 2:10 AM - 23 June, 2017
The two K12's will work, but you'll probably need a sub as well.
DJ_Dad 7:31 PM - 23 June, 2017
For $200 , I wouldn't bring a sub. The K12s will "do". The music is what will matter most. If they were willing to pay more then you could possibly rent a decent sub. I would maybe look into renting some 15" speakers also. You can get near sub bass with very slight reduction in midrange quality. Keep the music fun and they won't notice the missing sub. Rent a sennheiser or shure mic. Bottom range of both of those brands will work fine.
DJ 5DF 12:18 AM - 24 June, 2017
Quote:
For $200 , I wouldn't bring a sub. The K12s will "do". The music is what will matter most. If they were willing to pay more then you could possibly rent a decent sub. I would maybe look into renting some 15" speakers also. You can get near sub bass with very slight reduction in midrange quality. Keep the music fun and they won't notice the missing sub. Rent a sennheiser or shure mic. Bottom range of both of those brands will work fine.

I was able to negotiate up to 350. You think at that rate renting a sub is preferred? Haven't got any quotes but from what I've read the 2 K12's will be around 80 total, not sure on mic or sub but i'm guessing around 150 total for everything.
DJ_Dad 2:15 AM - 24 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I was able to negotiate up to 350. You think at that rate renting a sub is preferred? Haven't got any quotes but from what I've read the 2 K12's will be around 80 total, not sure on mic or sub but i'm guessing around 150 total for everything.

A lot of places have packages with sub and mic that should be around the $150 range. I would probably add the sub if they are offering $350. A sub will get more people dancing which will make it more enjoyable for you as well. It's hard to ever have too much bass.
Aegis 2:36 PM - 24 June, 2017
I am very happy with the price/performance value of my Harbinger HA300 setup for medium-sized events.

Denon MC6000MK2 is my mixer of choice since it's both a Serato controller and analog mixer, and is all-metal so very sturdy. Also compact.