Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Having a bug with play button

Mark Asseh DJ 1:22 PM - 22 June, 2017
Hi everybody

I have a issue with my serato software/controller lately.
I work on serato 1.9.6 and a Pioneer DDJ SB2 controller.
These days, i have bugs when I hit the play button or trying a scratch. The app shows that I hit it, or that I move the jog but it doesn't play the track at all.
I always have to disconnect-reconnect from the mac to have it back. And that's not cool when you're mixing.
Have you ever experienced anything like that?
Whatever, I really need your help.
Thank you.

P.S: The Macbook Pro mid-2012 is running on Sierra 10.12.3, 2,5Ghz i5, 16Go DDR3 and the buffer at 20ms.
DJ Tecniq 1:53 PM - 22 June, 2017
20ms is way too high of a buffer lower that to 5. The lower you have the buffer the better the controller responds to movement. You want low latency. 20ms won't help.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:39 PM - 22 June, 2017
Quote:
Hi everybody

I have a issue with my serato software/controller lately.
I work on serato 1.9.6 and a Pioneer DDJ SB2 controller.
These days, i have bugs when I hit the play button or trying a scratch. The app shows that I hit it, or that I move the jog but it doesn't play the track at all.
I always have to disconnect-reconnect from the mac to have it back. And that's not cool when you're mixing.
Have you ever experienced anything like that?
Whatever, I really need your help.
Thank you.

P.S: The Macbook Pro mid-2012 is running on Sierra 10.12.3, 2,5Ghz i5, 16Go DDR3 and the buffer at 20ms.

Hey there,

Regardless of the buffer you shouldn't need to disconnect to have the play button working correctly. Please open up a help request from the link below and we'll look into it.

support.serato.com

Cheers.
Mark Asseh DJ 1:09 AM - 23 June, 2017
Thanks to DJ Tecniq and Jordan L.
I am going to apply all of your advices right now.
Deejay Patron 2:01 AM - 23 June, 2017
What Firmware do you have?
Mark Asseh DJ 2:06 PM - 29 June, 2017
Quote:

Sorry, what is the firmware ? The OS or the version of SERATO?
DJ Tecniq 2:24 PM - 29 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

firmware is for the controller however the SB2 doesn't need firmware so something else is going on.
Mark Asseh DJ 5:06 PM - 29 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

firmware is for the controller however the SB2 doesn't need firmware so something else is going on.

Exactly. Thank you.
DJ Tecniq 9:37 PM - 29 June, 2017
Did you lower the USB buffer? Is the controller not able to scratch?
Mark Asseh DJ 9:52 PM - 29 June, 2017
Quote:
Did you lower the USB buffer? Is the controller not able to scratch?

Yes DJ Tecniq,
Thank you, I did it to 5ms.
I scratch but I don't know when I will have the problem.
I can scratch and mix an hour long, and then plaf
DJ Tecniq 9:54 PM - 29 June, 2017
That's odd but to rule this out have you tried an early 1.9 version like 1.9.5 or below?
Mark Asseh DJ 10:06 PM - 29 June, 2017
Sure I didn't have that problem before.
May be a downgrade would be the solution.
Support team sent me an app to record serato and controller activity. I'm on it.

Would you please show me how to do a downgrade of Serato?
The Ferg 12:14 AM - 11 July, 2017
Hi Mark,

It seems like I'm having the same issue as you are - randomly the right deck will stop. Play button shows a solid green light, play button on serato shows that it's playing, except it isn't. Pressing the button gains a response from both the device and serato (play button light flashes on device and serato responds accordingly) but the music won't play. Scratching works, as does holding the cue button. If I switch to deck 4 i am able to play music, although I can't scratch (as if the vinyl emulation has been turned off) - I can only pitch bend with the jog wheel. I can sometimes mix for over an hour without the problem popping up, although other times it will occur numerous times within half an hour. If you roll with decks 1 & 4, deck 2 will sometimes kick back in to action after a while.

I'm not sure if you've had a response but I thought I'd share since it sounds pretty similar to my problem. Tbh it seems mine is likely to be a hardware issue as I have this issue in dj intro, dj (trial) and rekordbox (trial), and have also tried different USB sockets and cables, as well as trying to play music only from the hard drive (I.e. Not an external hard drive) and keeping the trim down (suggested by a friend, although I'm not sure why).

Hopefully you get sorted, or the above may be of some use to you/ serato!

Ferg
Serato, Support
Dave. 1:45 AM - 11 July, 2017
@The Ferg - sorry to hear that you're running into similar issues as @Mark Asseh DJ - are you using a DDJ-SB2 as well?

Have you had a chance to get in touch with us via a Help Request? If not, I recommend doing so with a video of the issue you are describing above, log files of your most recent SDJ session where you encountered this issue and your computers system report file.

Here's an article that will help you get your computers system report file:
- support.serato.com

Here's how to get your log files:
- Mac - Mac HD/Users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Music/\_Serato_/Logs
- PC - C:/Users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Music/\_Serato_/Logs

Cheers,
Dave.
The Ferg 9:22 PM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:
@The Ferg - sorry to hear that you're running into similar issues as @Mark Asseh DJ - are you using a DDJ-SB2 as well?

Hi Dave,

Yes, I am also using a DDJ-SB2. I am going to open up Serato now and start mixing and should hopefully get the report and log file I need to submit a help request.
Mark Asseh DJ 12:01 PM - 19 September, 2017
Hi everybody,
Im so sorry i was off all that time.
Didn't give you any feedback.

I found the problem: my power adapter cable was defectuous.
I changed it.

Now it's fine for this issue.

@ferg, now my problem is yours. This is happening to me plus the fact that after a hour of mix sync goes mad!

Thanks all of you!!!!
dwhly 5:19 PM - 6 October, 2017
I just want to also say I was having this same issue. My issue was because I had the USB cord plugged into the back of my Thunderbolt display, which was then in turn daisychained into another monitor and then only finally to my Mac.

Plugging the USB cord directly into the mac fixed it.

So, most likely USB protocol issues that were degraded by multiple connections were involved.

Advice, make sure you're directly connected to your computer's USB port.
ertert8 8:48 PM - 24 March, 2018
Hi everybody! I just found this and i have exactly the same problem, same deck (right) and same laptop. In my case i have a Pioneer DDJ SB L mixer, and i cant find a solution for the issue. Does somebody have a concrete solution for the problem? I have tried to plug the mixer in both USB connectors, but no difference. Sometimes happens, and sometimes not, and there is no power cable in this model, just an usb to the computer.

Im running now serato pro 2.0.1
Benji488 1:36 PM - 25 March, 2018
I've figured out why my controller is playing up.
I grabbed the plastic non conductive edge of the platter, then twisted it a bit. It somehow paused the track. When I experience the issue whist using the controller I do what I just said to get the play button to work again.
I think it's all down to the degradation of the grease that is used on the shaft of the decks.
I swapped mine around and the problem switched sides.
I then cleaned all grease off and the issue got even worse.
Try cleaning yours and add some fresh conductive grease.
Have a look at this:
serato.com
Serato, Support
Dave. 7:58 PM - 25 March, 2018
@etert8 & @Benji488 - I strongly recommend getting in touch with directly with the support team by opening a help request. Please include a video of the issue you are describing above, log files from your most recent SDJ session where you encountered this issue and your computers system report file.

Here's an article that will help you get your computers system report file: support.serato.com

Here's where to get your log files:
- Mac - Mac HD/Users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Music/_Serato_/Logs
- PC - C:/Users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Music/_Serato_/Log
Djayy 10:11 PM - 29 September, 2019
When I DJ my left deck play button usually stops while playing and I don't know why at all but it really pisses me off.
Jimmy z 3:18 AM - 28 November, 2019
Inspired by the "hold hard down on the platter" solution - which actually kind of worked - progressing from there, I found an odd succession of
1. Get out of vinyl mode, press VINYL to go back to standard/CD mode
2. Continually hitting the PLAY button while jiggling/scratching the jog wheel above, around, can swing the deck back into PLAY action. Don't need to press hard, avoid damaging your deck unnecessarily.
Would like to know what the actual solution is, haven't time to search everything, is it a firmware upgrade or just a known issue (that I've been plagued with for years) that will never get solved? Sending in support tickets doesn't help the rest of us who quickly need to search and find the definitive solution. Many thanks J