Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

QSC K12.2 Vs. KW152 ????

Dj AR1 5:12 AM - 20 June, 2017
hey guys I'm thinking on getting rid off my KW152 and get a pair of the new K12.2...
what you guys think?
opinions and advise are all welcome.
thanks
DJ Tecniq 5:20 AM - 20 June, 2017
I think that's a good choice. I have K10's and power them with subs. The KW152 is a 15" speaker so it's not as easy to transport. The 12" is lighter but can still pack a punch. I would first compare the two or at least hear the K12.2 on your own then decide. I was originally going to get the K12's but instead I chose my K10's because they have a wider coverage. I've had them for a few years but they still sound wonderful.
Dj AR1 5:23 AM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:
I think that's a good choice. I have K10's and power them with subs. The KW152 is a 15" speaker so it's not as easy to transport. The 12" is lighter but can still pack a punch. I would first compare the two or at least hear the K12.2 on your own then decide. I was originally going to get the K12's but instead I chose my K10's because they have a wider coverage. I've had them for a few years but they still sound wonderful.

I heard the k12.2 are 2000 watts. But are those rms or peak?
I also own 2 kw181.
My only concern it was the look on the set up, if the speaker would look too small for the subs.
DJ Tecniq 5:49 AM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I also own 2 kw181.
My only concern it was the look on the set up, if the speaker would look too small for the subs.
Not at all I use a ksub and kw181 with my K10's and they look fine. Personally I really don't like big 15"s it is also not recommended to have 15"s on a speaker pole cause of the weight. The original ksub/kw181 are meant to hold 8" or 10" speakers. Not 12"s or 15"s but some users do.
dj_soo 9:46 AM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I also own 2 kw181.

listed watts are meaningless these days. Most reports are they are about the same volume as the previous ones. The KWs will have better bass on their own although the k12.2 reportedly have better bass than the k12s.

I'd just go have a listen and see if they sound good/better/worse than your existing speakers.
Dj AR1 5:01 PM - 20 June, 2017
I'd just go have a listen and see if they sound good/better/worse than your existing speakers.

Good idea. Im on it.
Thanks.

Right now my only concern is the wattage output.
dj_soo 5:33 PM - 20 June, 2017
Again, the listed wattage are basically lies/exaggerations. I wouldn't worry about what they say the wattage is and just listen to real world reviews from working djs.
Dj AR1 5:47 PM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:
Again, the listed wattage are basically lies/exaggerations. I wouldn't worry about what they say the wattage is and just listen to real world reviews from working djs.

Thats what im looking for. Real comments and real reviews.
SirForce 9:05 PM - 21 June, 2017
The K12.2's will weigh less than your KW152's. The wood box of the KW152 will help with a rich deep bass response. The DSP of the K12.2 will compensate and give the KW152 a good run and I think compare nicely.

Another major consideration is the K12.2 has a wider coverage angle compared to the KW152. Taken from zzounds website: www.zzounds.com

Quote:
Consistent Coverage for Large Venues. KW series speakers are made to be splayed. While K.2 series speakers project sound in a cone-shaped pattern, KWs project an axis-symmetric pattern with a more square cross-section. In plain English, K.2 speakers work best as standalone speakers, while KWs lend themselves to being grouped in a cluster of 2 or more speakers, because the square pattern edges match up with each other -- helping to blanket a large venue in consistent sound.

It will really come down to your listening preference, your desire for a lighter speaker and if you want to spend the money to update. Of course a new six year warranty is included.
Andrei Matei 5:11 AM - 26 June, 2017
Compared QSC K10.2 to my K10s and was dissapointed with the new DSPs and EQ curves. The .2 series will not go as low as the gen1 do in deep mode. If you will always use a sub, go for them. If you want to sometimes use standalone, listen first.
Jzzen 1:28 PM - 29 June, 2017
Quote:
Compared QSC K10.2 to my K10s and was dissapointed with the new DSPs and EQ curves. The .2 series will not go as low as the gen1 do in deep mode. If you will always use a sub, go for them. If you want to sometimes use standalone, listen first.

That's a real shame that the newer version has lost some of its bass response.
Asu 12:00 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

That's a real shame that the newer version has lost some of its bass response.

That is def user error since the new K12.2 sends more power to the LF driver...This is from QSC; "K Series amplifiers were measured on a test-bench to deliver up to 500W+500W into an optimal load, with Peaks of 1000W. In contrast, the new K.2 amplifier has been measured in-system to deliver 900W into the LF driver, with Peaks of 1800W. This smarter power distribution of 1800W+225W results in almost twice the power delivered to the LF driver compared to legacy K (basically 1800W vs 1000W Peak just to the LF driver)....and the K12.2 is def 3db louder due to this fact in real world tests oh and they fixed that HF driver that got horrible as you played louder...it's def a better product.
Andrei Matei 1:38 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:

That is def user error since the new K12.2 sends more power to the LF driver...This is from QSC; "K Series amplifiers were measured on a test-bench to deliver up to 500W+500W into an optimal load, with Peaks of 1000W. In contrast, the new K.2 amplifier has been measured in-system to deliver 900W into the LF driver, with Peaks of 1800W. This smarter power distribution of 1800W+225W results in almost twice the power delivered to the LF driver compared to legacy K (basically 1800W vs 1000W Peak just to the LF driver)....and the K12.2 is def 3db louder due to this fact in real world tests oh and they fixed that HF driver that got horrible as you played louder...it's def a better product.

Well, have you listened to them and compared them side by side like I have? User error? Thats funny.

Yes there is more power, yes it's clearer at higher DBs, yes it doesn't distort as quickly, but all of that doesn't mean there is the same bass response or that the EQ curves or DSPs are designed in a similar fashion. They aren't. And that was confirmed directly by the QSC engineers I spoke with.

I always chose gen 1 over gen 2 when I can and don't have subs. They just sound better *to me* and smoother for _low_ DB applications. But yes the gen 1 are more of a scooped EQ vs. a flat EQ of the newer ones. Not everyone wants this.
DJ Fairground 2:05 PM - 13 March, 2018
You will always need a Sub with the newer K12.2s. The highs and mids are very clear, but the low end is sad. I'm thinking selling or trading mine for the originals.
Dj AR1 4:21 PM - 13 March, 2018
Quote:
You will always need a Sub with the newer K12.2s. The highs and mids are very clear, but the low end is sad. I'm thinking selling or trading mine for the originals.

I stay with my originals.
Andrei Matei 9:20 PM - 23 March, 2018
DJ Fairground and DJ AR1 know what's up. Gen1s for me still too. I hope they don't stop manufacturing them. So far, they still seem to be.
DJ Joe K 4:22 AM - 11 August, 2018
Quote:
DJ Fairground and DJ AR1 know what's up. Gen1s for me still too. I hope they don't stop manufacturing them. So far, they still seem to be.

Where can we still get the generation 1 K12's?
DJNitro12 5:18 PM - 15 August, 2018
I have a pair of the 12.2's paired with a pair of kw-181's and they sound amazing when using the built in crossover. However when run without the sub and run full range the bottom end is lacking. But that being said, when paired, it's beautiful.
DJ Joe K 5:32 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
I have a pair of the 12.2's paired with a pair of kw-181's and they sound amazing when using the built in crossover. However when run without the sub and run full range the bottom end is lacking. But that being said, when paired, it's beautiful.

How loud does it get? Is it enough for 300-350 guests? I would be willing to add even another pair of 12.2's for a total of 4 if needed.
DJNitro12 5:35 PM - 15 August, 2018
It's definitely loud enough for 350 guests but I would still recommend using 4 speakers. I do just so I'm not killing the people on the dance floor just so the people in the back can hear. I use a pair of Mackie 450 V3's as a second pair. Will the hear it in the back with another set, would it overly loud on the dance floor, probably. Really depends if it's an indoor facility or outdoor and shape of room.
DJ Joe K 5:39 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
It's definitely loud enough for 350 guests but I would still recommend using 4 speakers. I do just so I'm not killing the people on the dance floor just so the people in the back can hear. I use a pair of Mackie 450 V3's as a second pair. Will the hear it in the back with another set, would it overly loud on the dance floor, probably. Really depends if it's an indoor facility or outdoor and shape of room.

Thanks for the info. I'm using a pair of srx815p and srx818sp speakers. Their nice, and sound great. I feel that 15's don't get as loud when it comes to the highs. The low's are not that amazing to me either.
Johnnynights 10:35 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm using a pair of srx815p and srx818sp speakers. Their nice, and sound great. I feel that 15's don't get as loud when it comes to the highs. The low's are not that amazing to me either.

What settings are you using? because these sound better and louder than the qsc series..

I own a pair of srx815p and srx818sp at the moment

I used to own qsc k12 and kw181 before,I do use a k12.2 at the bar i work and even the owners of the bar when I have took my jbl srx system said it sounds way better and louder.

Just remember these srx800 series required some hotter signal...I'm not bashing qsc they are some really good speakers also very reliable.
DJ Joe K 10:43 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:

Just remember these srx800 series required some hotter signal...I'm not bashing qsc they are some really good speakers also very reliable.

I've been looking for someone that is familiar with these speakers.

I use a DDJ-SZ mixer (Serato/Pioneer). I have to keep my signal in Serato green. My trim's on each channel are usually around 10 o'clock so the input signal stays in green. My master output on the DDJ-SZ is at about 2 o'clock, and that puts me at around 0 db.

At the speaker, I have the input level at about -5 to -3 and it's set to Consumer. If I set it to Line, I don't get nearly enough signal. The other option is to use an external mixer, and that way, I can use the Line setting on the speaker.
The output at the speaker is set to +8 to +9 or so.
Johnnynights 12:05 AM - 16 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I've been looking for someone that is familiar with these speakers.

I use a DDJ-SZ mixer (Serato/Pioneer). I have to keep my signal in Serato green. My trim's on each channel are usually around 10 o'clock so the input signal stays in green. My master output on the DDJ-SZ is at about 2 o'clock, and that puts me at around 0 db.

At the speaker, I have the input level at about -5 to -3 and it's set to Consumer. If I set it to Line, I don't get nearly enough signal. The other option is to use an external mixer, and that way, I can use the Line setting on the speaker.
The output at the speaker is set to +8 to +9 or so.

If I can help you out I will.

You can run your channel gains to yellow and you will still not clip the signal...I run mine at yellow but no red..I use a sx2 and since you use a sz you should have better sound quality and a bit louder....also on the master the highest I go is also 2 o clock like you said...i would just run your channel gains to yellow but not red to get the hottest output and master to 2 o clock(0db)...now that we got the mixer part good let's go to the speakers.

On the jbl srx815p I use input level(sensitivity) I believe is called to 0db,then on the master out run +6db...

The highest the srx815p on master goes to +12db so I found out after playing and experiencing the speaker that +6db is like its 0db on these speakers..

Now on the subs I run them wide open(all the way up)...this is a jbl thing...jbl vrx918 are the same when you run them all the way up..

Another thing I want to ask you are you using the internal crossovers?
Johnnynights 12:12 AM - 16 August, 2018
My srx815p I set them to srx sub and the srx818sp I set them to srx top...and with your settings the tops at +6db and subs at +12db you have one of the best settings for your speakers..

Jbl doesn't say what crossover settings they are using but from what I found that crossover setting off srx top and srx sub settings are 80hz

With those settings you should be happy..

Try that out and let me know how it goes.
DJ Joe K 12:16 AM - 16 August, 2018
Ok, so you have the input level a little higher than I do. ) 0db is the highest that goes to. But one thing you didn't mention is if you set the speaker at consumer or Line. It also has a Mic option which amplifies even more. If I use a mixer, I can set it as line, but from the SZ, I have to set it as consumer to get a little more amplification. Otherwise, it's just not nearly loud enough. If you set it to Consumer, You'll be fine running everything on the mixer in green.

I had to do some homework to learn about doing the gain levels correctly. But the key was the consumer setting on input channels on the speaker. I think you set it by clicking on either the channel 1 or channel 2 knobs on the back of the speaker.

About your cross over question, I do connect to the subs and then to the tops. I have the subs set to use the SRX815 top setting, and the same with the tops. I have them set to use with the SRX815SP Subs. That did help as well.

I haven't pumped my subs all the way up yet. Usually I set them at around +8. You're saying to go up to +12?
Johnnynights 12:19 AM - 16 August, 2018
Quote:
Ok, so you have the input level a little higher than I do. ) 0db is the highest that goes to. But one thing you didn't mention is if you set the speaker at consumer or Line. It also has a Mic option which amplifies even more. If I use a mixer, I can set it as line, but from the SZ, I have to set it as consumer to get a little more amplification. Otherwise, it's just not nearly loud enough. If you set it to Consumer, You'll be fine running everything on the mixer in green.

I had to do some homework to learn about doing the gain levels correctly. But the key was the consumer setting on input channels on the speaker. I think you set it by clicking on either the channel 1 or channel 2 knobs on the back of the speaker.

About your cross over question, I do connect to the subs and then to the tops. I have the subs set to use the SRX815 top setting, and the same with the tops. I have them set to use with the SRX815SP Subs. That did help as well.

I haven't pumped my subs all the way up yet. Usually I set them at around +8. You're saying to go up to +12?

Are you close to LA areas?

If you are I would be more than happy to help you out.
DJ Joe K 12:20 AM - 16 August, 2018
I'm in Granada Hills. Where are you located?
Johnnynights 12:28 AM - 16 August, 2018
Quote:

Yes I do this is a recommended setting by jbl...sorry for the confusion...I use line input...if i were to use consumer i would leave the master output at 0db since it's a higher gain just like you said...yeah I get you I had the same issue back in the day when I got them.

Yeah those settings are really good I know those crossover settings have the fir filters in them.

+8 on the subs is actually still good but i run them all the way up +12db....
Johnnynights 12:29 AM - 16 August, 2018
Quote:
I'm in Granada Hills. Where are you located?

Your like an hour away from me I'm in the city of Bell..
DJ Joe K 12:39 AM - 16 August, 2018
Luckily I drive all over the place. I think I'm going through that area on Friday. I have a wedding in the OC. Lol
Dj Ace 3:29 PM - 11 March, 2019
I like the bass response of the k12.2 especially in dance mode. I just purchased them last week and they sound beefier IMO
Dj Ace 3:30 PM - 11 March, 2019
The k the OG k12
Dj Ace 3:30 PM - 11 March, 2019
Sorry for the typo
ABETTERDJ 3:57 PM - 13 March, 2019
I have been breaking in some new sets of K12.2's for the past 9 days and doing my 1st wedding with them tomorrow. I have been a wedding DJ for 20 years and have owned and used a lot of great speakers. I have always used QSC amps with my passive speakers and I've run; 3 different models of E.A.W.'s, 4 models of Yorkville's, JBL JRX 125's, Yamaha's, and some of the better Peavey's.

I think the K12.2s may be the best speakers I have ever owned. Properly EQ'd in the dance setting I think these will be fine for weddings without a sub. I've pretty much settled in with running the highs at -1, the upper mids at -2.5, and the lows at plus 2. Those settings have sounded perfect in my studio and should do well at tomorrow's indoor wedding with a few minor tweaks.

I don't put much faith in stated output from any manufacturer but these speakers are loud, REALLY LOUD! In one of my sound tests I was playing "Yeah" by Usher and I walked up to a speaker that was set at chest height. The lows were so strong it took my breath away and made me cough LOL. I've had these cranked up all the way for a few minutes several times and so far no clipping and no noticeable distortion. Hats off to QSC for making a fantastic speaker.