Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

1.9.0 Used to work now doesn't.

Whatthewhat 3:44 AM - 15 June, 2017
Older laptop running win7 home prof. Serato 1.9.0 loaded using Vinyl decks, SL3 box. Worked fine the last time I powered it all up but tonight No turntable view. Can only load one song and play through laptop speakers. Uninstalled, installed 1.9.1 Same thing happened. Uninstalled and installed 1.9.2 then Serato froze and had to hard boot the laptop. Uninstalled and installed latest version, everything loaded, got the turntable view, loaded a song, then everything froze never recovered. Hard start laptop, uninstalled installed 1.9.0 again and same as before, no turntable view. Not sure whats going on or why 1.9.0 worked before but not now. PC optimized, Unplugged, plugged back in all connections, same result. Cant figure it out and need help before I sell everything and get into something else.......(Please don't ask if i'm selling anything. That's probably for another post anyways.... I'm just frustrated at the moment after spending way too much time on this!).

Thanks,
Tony
popnwave 5:05 AM - 15 June, 2017
Any recent Windows Updates that might has messed with things?

Hell, every patch tuesday I scramble to fix the silliest stuff at work.
DjSyndic8 6:47 AM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
Older laptop running win7 home prof. Serato 1.9.0 loaded using Vinyl decks, SL3 box. Worked fine the last time I powered it all up but tonight No turntable view. Can only load one song and play through laptop speakers. Uninstalled, installed 1.9.1 Same thing happened. Uninstalled and installed 1.9.2 then Serato froze and had to hard boot the laptop. Uninstalled and installed latest version, everything loaded, got the turntable view, loaded a song, then everything froze never recovered. Hard start laptop, uninstalled installed 1.9.0 again and same as before, no turntable view. Not sure whats going on or why 1.9.0 worked before but not now. PC optimized, Unplugged, plugged back in all connections, same result. Cant figure it out and need help before I sell everything and get into something else.......(Please don't ask if i'm selling anything. That's probably for another post anyways.... I'm just frustrated at the moment after spending way too much time on this!).

Thanks,
Tony

u need to update your laptop if you want to use serato seriously instead of trying to use an outdated version of serato
Hanginon 12:09 PM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
No turntable view. Can only load one song and play through laptop speakers.

You are describing "Analysis Mode". Your SL3 has lost communication with your laptop.

Try different USB cable, different USB port, SL3 power supply, and make sure SL3 is NOT default soundcard in Windows audio preferences.

Only try with Serato DJ 1.9.1 or older
Whatthewhat 2:34 PM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:

u need to update your laptop if you want to use serato seriously instead of trying to use an outdated version of serato

I may need to update the laptop, but Serato 1.9.0 was working fine the last time I ran it. This time, not so lucky.

Quote:

You are describing "Analysis Mode". Your SL3 has lost communication with your laptop.

Try different USB cable, different USB port, SL3 power supply, and make sure SL3 is NOT default soundcard in Windows audio preferences.

Only try with Serato DJ 1.9.1 or older

Laptop speakers are default for sound, SL3 shows connected in "My Serato", but I will change the USB port and cable tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.
Hanginon 3:47 PM - 15 June, 2017
Cool, also check this out -

dj.rane.com
Whatthewhat 8:59 PM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
Any recent Windows Updates that might has messed with things?

Hell, every patch Tuesday I scramble to fix the silliest stuff at work.

No recent windows update and as a general rule, automatic updates are turned off for this very reason. I rather install on my own time rather than just before a gig.
Whatthewhat 11:09 AM - 17 June, 2017
UPDATE: Changed USB Cable with two different cables, swapped USB port two different times, Uninstalled and reinstalled the SL3 Driver, Made sure default sound was laptop speakers, clicked on My Serato and SL3 was connected, Logged into Serato.com and went to my products and only thing listed is Wolf Pack FX. Not sure if the SL3 should be listed here as well??? Restarted my laptop, No go. uninstalled 1.9.0 Installed 1.9.6 And froze again.

Why would Serato work before and all of a sudden not work at all for me when nothing changed? Nothing got unplugged or swapped, nothing was moved. Literally my setup sits in my home office untouched and the one time I go to play, its not working. I dont gig with this setup so I dont know why its not working. I have had this issue before and figured it out, but now its mind boggling.

I was going to try another laptop but I realized that I need to have the turntables plugged into the SL3 and move the license to the other PC and I just dont want to go through all of that and then not have it work. Point being it should work like it did the last time I touched it. So frustrating!
Hanginon 12:48 PM - 17 June, 2017
Quote:
I was going to try another laptop but I realized that I need to have the turntables plugged into the SL3 and move the license to the other PC and I just dont want to go through all of that and then not have it work. Point being it should work like it did the last time I touched it. So frustrating!

I think Serato allows two installs per license - you should be able to try (and install it) by moving your SL3 to another laptop for testing, without having to de-activate it from your existing one. That would certainly be the next step. You don't need the turntables either, a working SL3 should switch SeratoDJ out of Analysis mode without them.
DJ Tecniq 1:13 PM - 17 June, 2017
I was unaware we needed a license for the SL3🤔 I never got one it should be plug & play.
DJ Tecniq 1:17 PM - 17 June, 2017
May want to look under "downloads" to make sure you have the correct drivers. I think the drivers that came with 1.9.0 were old. -> dj.rane.com
deejdave 2:15 PM - 17 June, 2017
Sounds like 1.9.2 changed a value/s in your system registry which does not get fixed by a simple uninstall. I am willing to bet if you reformatted and reinstalled Windows WITHOUT installing 1.9.2 you would be fine. If you are happy with just getting things to how they were in 1.9.0 then updated drivers, licenses, etc. are not your answer as like you said you were running fine until the new installs. Since you are running an older OS another obvious question is are you running a Core2Duo machine as the support was dropped in recent versions.
AddamXavier 8:05 PM - 17 June, 2017
SL3, as with all Rane soundcards, do not need a license to unlock the software. So you can try the box out on any computer you can get your hands on without having to worry about license transfers or anything.
Whatthewhat 8:17 PM - 17 June, 2017
Thanks for all of the replies. Hanginon, I should have used the word Activation. SL3 is a plug and play device, but it said something about deactivating something so that I could move it to another computer. Im going to try and move it to my other laptop and see what happens.

DJ Tecniq: Laptop is too old to run the latest version of Serato and before all of this, Serato 1.9.0 worked perfectly. I shut it down one day, and then when I tried to get back on it, problems. Now I cant get the turntable view despite every attempt at trying to fix this. The newer versions of Serato freeze my laptop up and I cant recover it. I need to do a hard shutdown (Which is not good for the HD BTW).

Deejdave: I can just go into the Reg editor and delete the Serato files instead of reformatting and installing windows again. Much easier and less time consuming.

I opened a ticket with Serato support. If worse comes to worse and I cant get Serato SL3 to work, then I may think about upgrading my Laptop and sell the older ones to help offset the cost.
DJ Tecniq 9:39 PM - 17 June, 2017
Sdj 1.8 and above all require an iprocessor if your laptop is anything below that you can always download a 1.7 version of SDJ that will work fine. Good luck
Whatthewhat 4:38 PM - 18 June, 2017
[IMG]i36.photobucket.com[/IMG]
Whatthewhat 4:44 PM - 18 June, 2017
Don't know how to delete messages on here but above was to show the image of my Laptop specs. The thing I am not understanding, with all of these specs etc is why in the world would SDJ 1.9.0 work great without issue then one day take a shit and not work at all? Does Serato continue to update and tweak older software? I would think not. So why did 1.9.0 just stop working for me? So Frustrating. Even if my laptop specs show that I don't have enough Processing power to run SDJ's latest software, I must reiterate that 1.9.0 worked great and now nothing. No Win updates, no other use except for Serato, so I just don't get it.

PS: THIS I'M NOT A ROBOT CLICK ON EVERY POST IS RIDICULOUS! I'm a registered LOGGED in user Why would I need to click this darn thing every TIME?!?
DJ Tecniq 4:57 PM - 18 June, 2017
From looking at your screenshot it's an intel celeron processor which is a very outdated processor. Newer technology like an (i3, i5 or at best i7) machine is what you need SDJ requires a lot of CPU power. I would suggest downloading the last 1.8 version and you should be okay. As a FYI if you look at the top right of SDJ you should see a (CPU bar) if this anything near max that means your processor is struggling and you need to upgrade your pc. You should always read the system requirements for SDJ before purchasing or using a laptop. Not every pc is going to work it's not Virtual DJ it's more advanced. Hope that helps.
deejdave 5:44 PM - 18 June, 2017
I must reiterate that upon installing newer versions items get changed and simply uninstalling and reinstalling older version will not change it back. These changes are not always visual btw.
DJ Tecniq 9:10 PM - 18 June, 2017
Dude is rocking 3 gigs of ram SDJ requires 4 and it's prob not even decent ram. It's 2017 time to upgrade that old Celeron it can't handle any multiple application processes. Good luck is all I can say. Sure it worked with 1.9 but that doesn't mean it's always going to it under spec for any version of 1.8 or above.
deejdave 12:51 AM - 19 June, 2017
I will admit it is very curious he was able to run SDJ at all but who are we to question this right? If he says it was running it was probably running although the term "running" is often very loosely translated.
DJ Tecniq 1:18 AM - 19 June, 2017
Quote:
I will admit it is very curious he was able to run SDJ at all but who are we to question this right? If he says it was running it was probably running although the term "running" is often very loosely translated.
Running till he experienced malware on his pc lol.
Whatthewhat 1:07 PM - 19 June, 2017
Apparently people got jokes. hahafknha!

No I don't have Malware on any of my computers as I maintain them and keep them running good which is why I don't upgrade. Serato ran fine and even that little CPU bar was fine and not maxed out, not even close to it.

And when I say it was running, I meant that I was playing music, scratching, mixing, blending, so i'm not using that term loosely. I didn't just turn it on and said "Oh look its running fine" I was USING it.

I'd like to believe that the forum is used to help people with issues, not for an opportunity to jab or joke about someones setup because you think it will gain you popularity. If you cant help or offer any suggestions on how to fix the issue, then keep to yourself.

I will deal with tech support on this. Thanks for those of you who tried to actually help.
deejdave 1:22 PM - 19 June, 2017
Not sure who that is meant towards but I did say who are we to questions it. Just stating it is surprising you had it running and was curious how it was performing when it was running. Didn't mean to offend. I'm guessing the buffer was set high (10ms+) but whatever if it worked for ur needs it's all good. As far as tecniq I'm sure he is just having some light fun but do we really need to keep it all that serious? I still maintain my opinion and firmly believe the 1.9.2 install specifically changed some background settings potentially to where an older machine may struggle. It of curiosity have you tried this SL3 on an alternate machine to eliminate that variable?
deejdave 1:24 PM - 19 June, 2017
And btw jokes aside I haven't seen one person here post anything just to take stabs at you. Even tecniq provided some decent troubleshooting so I don't think some lighthearted humor is out of line here and there.
DJ Tecniq 6:05 PM - 19 June, 2017
It was a joke so I apologize. But the facts are it is still 2017 and an intel celeron processor is not going to cut it for SDJ now Scratchlive on the other hand would have no problem. with SDJ 1.8 or higher you're risking a lot esp performance. You can try 1.8 which you may have better luck the truth is you will have to upgrade that machine if you want to stay current and use newer versions as the more features added will require more CPU power. You can take the advice or keep using that machine which is not recommended for SDJ. I was not trying to insult you for my own benefit. We see this all the time on the forum when the best way to resolve it is use a computer that at least has the minimum specs. Good luck
DJ Tecniq 6:19 PM - 19 June, 2017
It is something about SDJ newer versions that requires an iprocessor (i3, i5 or best i7) personally I think they just want use spending more money lol I agree it's frustrating not every processor is recommended for newer SDJ but that is just how it is. This is mainly why I still love Scratchlive it doesn't require the more expensive computers with iprocessor technology. I can almost guarantee you even an i3 machine w/4 gigs ram being the lowest of the processors would run SDJ fairly well. Looking forward to see how you resolve this sometimes using fx or other features can really drain these old processors. I used to be a pc guy I'm not saying get a Mac but the truth is they run so much smoother than pcs.
Whatthewhat 3:39 PM - 20 June, 2017
UPDATE: Tech support cant help me and stated that I need to update my laptop, even though I was running Serato fine at one point in time. :-/

So reluctantly, I just purchased a used HP EliteBook 2560P i7 Intel laptop with more than enough power/memory to run Serato. Its no Macbook Pro, but it will have to do for now until Serato updates their software again to run on an even more powerful chip set or something decides to take a dump again......
popnwave 4:11 PM - 20 June, 2017
Gotta love backhand comments.
Whatthewhat 4:43 PM - 20 June, 2017
Backhanded comment? There are probably hundreds of them on here. Me? I'm only stating the obvious in what I'd like to call reality, unless Serato is done updating their software?

Thank you Mike for another great example of someone interjecting an unuseful comment. :)

I've been around forums enough to know that they can be a great tool and have very knowledgeable people who help others, but its certain groups of people who make it suck. Its like any other social platform.
Whatthewhat 4:44 PM - 20 June, 2017
PS: Mods/Admins can you please lock the thread? Issue has been resolved and its gone off topic.

Thanks!
DJ Tecniq 5:02 PM - 20 June, 2017
They told you exactly what I told you. Should of just took my advice I wasn't trying to steer you wrong. Congrats on the new laptop.
Mike Butler 7:30 AM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:

I think the point here is it was working ok but stopped working so the problem should have been fixable. A knee jerk "upgrade everything" isn't always the answer. Obviously that assumes nothing else had changed. Maybe a Windows update had broken something?

Personally once I have a stable system on my laptops I leave them as long as I can. No Serato updates, no Windows updates etc.

Mike
deejdave 7:56 PM - 21 June, 2017
Again this is all a matter of needs, standards and preferance. The "if it ain't broke" philosophy leaves no room for advancement or progression. By this logic there was never a need to leave vinyl as it still works as the day it was created. I have had a pretty stable history with serato but if I stopped once I had a stable system I would be missing out on a ton of new features both app and os related.
deejdave 8:02 PM - 21 June, 2017
I would be missing out on even more if I stuck with windows only and even more if it was an older version of windows. SO that being said as I said earlier it is all about preferences and the term running is open for interpretation. While this may seem off topic trust it only seems that way as this could/should be a lesson for others who may stumble onto this as we all know threads don't get locked around here even when the problem had been solved.
DJ Tecniq 8:19 PM - 21 June, 2017
It's 2017 what year did you purchase the laptop🤔
deejdave 8:36 PM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
It's 2017 what year did you purchase the laptop🤔

In all fairness I am certain he is fully aware of how old his machine is. It is not like he was was asking for the impossible he was just looking to get things back to how they already were.

In hopes I don't sound like a broken record I will say it one last time. Things got messed up when he installed 1.9.2 and removing it the re-installing the older version is not enough to change it back. Not the first time we have seen this with Serato.
Mike Butler 8:37 PM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
Again this is all a matter of needs, standards and preferance. The "if it ain't broke" philosophy leaves no room for advancement or progression. By this logic there was never a need to leave vinyl as it still works as the day it was created. I have had a pretty stable history with serato but if I stopped once I had a stable system I would be missing out on a ton of new features both app and os related.

I'm not saying never upgrade, I just personally don't upgrade unless there's a need to which is a very different thing. If you want/need shiny new features then upgrade for sure. Personally I don't need them for what I do which is mainly weddings and birthdays. Why would I take a perfectly good working system and risk destabilising it for something I don't need? On the other hand if I was playing clubs or venues where I had to match with other DJs who use lots of sample and effects then sure I'd have upgraded to a DJ-808 or similar for the sequencer and other onboard effects etc.

Upgrading because something that's been working perfectly suddenly stopped working isn't something I'd do though - I'd want to know why it stopped so I can make an informed decision on whether to upgrade. That'd save me the cost upgrading to a new PC/Mac and the latest software just to find it was possibly a hardware fault on an interface that caused the problem.

Mike
deejdave 8:42 PM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
Why would I take a perfectly good working system and risk destabilising it for something I don't need? On the other hand if I was playing clubs or venues where I had to match with other DJs who use lots of sample and effects then sure I'd have upgraded to a DJ-808 or similar for the sequencer and other onboard effects etc.

It is not always club DJ's who benefit. Older versions do not support Streaming and trust it is not club DJ's who is benefiting from this. You do absolutely have a point but let's keep in mind there are just as many features which would benefit mobile DJ's as club DJ's. It is true mobile DJ's do not need near as much performance as Club DJ's but the fact remains.
Quote:
Upgrading because something that's been working perfectly suddenly stopped working isn't something I'd do though

Could not agree more. These type of decisions make every update a very high risk.