Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pitch and Time Sync question

CMOS 4:02 PM - 11 June, 2017
Im new to Sync and PnT. Loving the crazy time stretching.

Is there any way to force a song to sync up instead of down?

For example, im playing a song at 120bpm. Then try to sync a song thats lets say 80bpm. When i press sync, the 80bpm song syncs down to 60bpm.

I understand why its doing it as its less of a jump in bpm to sync it to halftime, but is there any way to force it to sync up to 120bpm?
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:03 PM - 11 June, 2017
Hey,

There isn't any current option for this. That would be kind of cool though.

Maybe create a thread in the feature suggestion area?

Cheers.
Telony Ex 10:04 PM - 11 June, 2017
wat version of serato r u running. Thaerr was a bug in earlier version that did similar.

Upgrade to lateast version. I know once u hit sync on whatever deck it copy the bpm from the opposite deck.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:13 PM - 11 June, 2017
Hey CMOS,

Just expanding on Jordans answer - sometimes it will sync up and sometimes it will sync down, it depends on what the gap in tempo is. Sync calculates which way will result in the least BPM difference of the original track and changes to that. For example:

Song playing is 120 bpm, sync a song which is 80 bpm and it will drop to 60 bpm.
Song playing is 120 bpm, sync a song which is 100 bpm and it will up to 120 bpm.

I hope that helps explain things :)

Cheers,
Michael.
CMOS 11:40 PM - 12 June, 2017
Im on the latest version and i know this is what its supposed to be doing. The gap between 80 and 60 is smaller than the gap between 80 and 120.

However does anyone ever sync down? I would think most of the syncing when dealing with large gaps like this are synced up, as faster can sound good, but the 80 song playing at 60 makes you want to shoot yourself, so depressing.

Would be great if there was an arrow selector that would allow me to double or halve the sync at will.

Will create a feature request. Thanks fellas.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:44 PM - 12 June, 2017
I can see where you're coming from, and that probably makes more sense with large BPM changes. However I'd say you definitely want to sync down if say you were syncing a 70 bpm track to a 60 bpm track (-10 bpm) rather than ramping it up to 120 bpm (+50 bpm!). That said, this is obviously personal preference ;)

But yes, feature request is a great idea!
Mr. Goodkat 11:57 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
but the 80 song playing at 60 makes you want to shoot yourself, so depressing.

the pnt stretch is good, so sometimes i make a big swing for the last 2 bars of a mix. of course you have to have a tt/cdj with +16+50
CMOS 9:00 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, and that probably makes more sense with large BPM changes. However I'd say you definitely want to sync down if say you were syncing a 70 bpm track to a 60 bpm track (-10 bpm) rather than ramping it up to 120 bpm (+50 bpm!). That said, this is obviously personal preference ;)

But yes, feature request is a great idea!

Yeah this came about from spinning a house set and dropping in hip hop acapellas. Thought i hit a bug when i tried to drop below like 90bpm and sync up to 120ish.

Its not a bug its a feature lol.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:22 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Its not a bug its a feature lol.

Exactly :P