DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Lowballer on the loose, What to do?

Deejay Patron 9:15 PM - 9 June, 2017
Ok here is the story, I was djing at a Grad party. I then spot an old friend from high school. He introduced me to his wife. We started talking, then he told me that he was looking for a dj for his next weekend Grad party. We talked about details of the party, I told him my normal rate but I gave him a lower rate to hook him up since we haven't see each other in a long time (10 years). Then his wife asked me if I could do it a bit cheaper, I was not expecting that question at that time since it was already a good deal (for them). I agreed (worst thing I ever did). Next weekend came by quick, I did the event, they loved my set up, music, everyone at the event had a great time. A lot of people complimented me all night. I saw more old friends from high school, it was a nice event. They love my service that asked me to stay longer (2 hours more). I stayed. They payed me, they payed me the extra 2 hours as well, they even tip me $60dls. I can't complaint on that event. Another guest gave me a $20dls tip for playing his 2 requests. Overall, I came out getting the lower rate I gave them in the first place plus the tips. Now, I just got a message from his wife saying she needs me for another event, it's her dad's birthday on October 28, which is Halloween weekend. she tells me the details and I gave her my normal rate, then she freaked out and started telling me that I told her I was going to hook them up again. I was ok, I could drop my price a bit, but she wanted me to gave her the same quote as for her husband party. The price is almost half of my current rate. I told her that I could not do every event at that rate. That it was a one time only but she keeps asking and asking, she even agreed to my current rate with the discount but for an extra hour. My question to you guys, should I let it go? Or just do the event? I mean they are good people but I'm in this business to make money not to just charity work. lol
eder 11:42 PM - 9 June, 2017
Don't do it for less than what you'd feel comfortable charing them as the hookup rate, ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend.
Mr. Goodkat 11:48 PM - 9 June, 2017
dont do it.

tell them that you can help them find another dj for less. then dont do that either
Deejay Patron 2:53 AM - 10 June, 2017
Quote:
Don't do it for less than what you'd feel comfortable charing them as the hookup rate, ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend.

I won't do it, I always get better pay events on holidays anyways. I can't do business with someone trying to beg for more price reduction. I mean I could adjust a bit for a friend but not half price. I can't afford to get profit like that. Gear is not cheap either
Deejay Patron 2:53 AM - 10 June, 2017
Quote:
dont do it.

tell them that you can help them find another dj for less. then dont do that either

Thanks man, I appreciate your input.
Laz219 12:47 AM - 11 June, 2017
Yep, I'd be saying no- it'll always just become "oh we have another event" and the cycle will continue.

Can either be broken now by them agreeing on your normal rate, or they can find someone cheaper and get the lesser service.
No point ripping yourself off on a weekend it shouldn't be hard to secure bookings at your normal rate.
Deejay Patron 7:38 AM - 11 June, 2017
Quote:
Yep, I'd be saying no- it'll always just become "oh we have another event" and the cycle will continue.

Can either be broken now by them agreeing on your normal rate, or they can find someone cheaper and get the lesser service.
No point ripping yourself off on a weekend it shouldn't be hard to secure bookings at your normal rate.

I kept them at my normal rate and they went for it. They had no choice after 2 more days of talking and talking.
Mr. Goodkat 9:17 PM - 12 June, 2017
for anyone that encounters this, its always a bad idea. there is always going to be more excuses and more asks for cuts no matter what they agree too.

REMEMBER THIS ALL SERVICE INDUSTRY INCL DJS

if you do a great/good job you should get your fee PLUS a tip.

of course if its a corporate event with a payment thru corporate offices, you shouldt/wont, but if its a person paying you for a event like a small party, realistically they should be tipping you something.
Deejay Patron 1:40 AM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
for anyone that encounters this, its always a bad idea. there is always going to be more excuses and more asks for cuts no matter what they agree too.

REMEMBER THIS ALL SERVICE INDUSTRY INCL DJS

if you do a great/good job you should get your fee PLUS a tip.

of course if its a corporate event with a payment thru corporate offices, you shouldt/wont, but if its a person paying you for a event like a small party, realistically they should be tipping you something.

I have never experience a costumer that put up a fight about my rate. I believe I have fair prices when it comes to my events.
Deejay Patron 2:08 AM - 13 June, 2017
She gave me a review, this is what she said:
Dj Patrón was the first Dj we had ever hired for a party and he made it an excellent first time experience for us. He not only had reasonable prices, but was very acomodating to all of the people who attended our party. He also had some extra services that he provided that made our party more memorable. We had guests asking for his information and we already will be hiring him again for future events. Finally, Dj Patrón had a great vast selection of songs and he knows how to read the crowd. If anyone is looking to hire a Dj, we highly recommend Dj Patrón for their next party.

I reply to her review like this, Thank you (costumer name), I had fun Djing at your husband's graduation party. Looking forward for future events. 🎉👍🏼

This is what happens when I try to be a friend and hook them up. I have had 3 events booked from her event her event, 1st event which I couldn't do because they called me 3 days before the event and I was out of town (Las Vegas). 2nd event I booked it, one of her friend which she also try to have me do her event at the same price I did her friend (former client). I know her friend as well from school (10 years ago) but I did gave her my normal rate which she agreed. 3rd event which is her dad's birthday on October, normal rate as well.
Due to my experience, from now on, I will be keeping all my costumers the same rate.
deezlee 4:46 AM - 13 June, 2017
Actually, it sounds like it went well if you're u got three full rate referrals from it already.
Deejay Patron 1:02 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Actually, it sounds like it went well if you're u got three full rate referrals from it already.

Yes, the party was a success. All of the guests were in the mood, they party, they dance, they were taking shots. A lot of folks ask for my info and most told me that they were gonna call me when they need a dj. I have 2 events booked, I had to drop one but they called me 2 days before the event and I was in Vegas, I could not make it. I asked them to book me in advance, I try to have a fellow dj friend do the event but it was out of his hand since they felt it was too expensive for them.