Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pitch Drift in 1.9.6

BlueStar 4:12 AM - 9 June, 2017
Im using 1.9.6 and I selected pitch drift and I am still having the same issue, where the Tempo and BPM fluctuate alot. I have tried to change needles, control records and double checked the wiring. Everything looks good. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
WildcardX 11:23 PM - 9 June, 2017
Quote:
Im using 1.9.6 and I selected pitch drift and I am still having the same issue, where the Tempo and BPM fluctuate alot. I have tried to change needles, control records and double checked the wiring. Everything looks good. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

What i have found is that most older music with live instruments doesn't lock. I also notice just a few newer contemporary tracks not locking but that is just the few instances I have come across and nothing I could have done about it.
DJ Tecniq 10:16 PM - 10 June, 2017
Which t-tables are you using? I have a set of Technics 1210 mk5's and they drift quite a lot. Thinking it may be my needles. I do know that newer t-tables cause less drift.
DJ Tecniq 10:18 PM - 10 June, 2017
However I can confirm with Scratchlive I hardly noticed much drift at all and the bpm was quite steady. SDJ is completely different. I believe it was a flaw in SDJ w/DVS from the beginning. Why add a feature for Pitch drift now🤔...
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:11 PM - 11 June, 2017
Quote:

Hey,

It could very well be the turntable themselves, I'd suggest trying to use another turntable to see if the problem persists. There are so many variables that can occur when using turntables.

Cheers.
inputoutput 3:24 AM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Which t-tables are you using? I have a set of Technics 1210 mk5's and they drift quite a lot. Thinking it may be my needles. I do know that newer t-tables cause less drift.

This is an old thread I know, but I am wondering about your mk5 pitch drift you experience? After years of CDJs and midi controllers I recently picked up some pristine mk5s from a vendor in japan. I put some brand new m447's on em and bought some brand new control vinyl. The last time I used turntables I was on some beatup mk2's, cheapo stanton needles and scratchlive. However, I remember the pitch being solid. However these mk5s both wobble consistently 3/10th of a percent in either direction (i.e. -0.1, 0.0, +0.1, 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, +0.1, etc...) that's most of the time, but sometimes they go as far as a whole half a percent from 0.0 to +0.5. This is not a huge deal and im guessing it is either the nature of SDJ or the mk5's. The decks look and feel mint, the needles are brand new as well as the control vinyl. If it was one of the two decks i'd think it was a pitch control or needle or something but they both act identically. So i guess im just a bit surprised that this is normal? Its not enough to really affect that much but it is a bit annoying having my bpm constantly flipping around as its just kind of distracting. Anyways was just curious... thx
WildcardX 11:40 AM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

This is an old thread I know, but I am wondering about your mk5 pitch drift you experience? After years of CDJs and midi controllers I recently picked up some pristine mk5s from a vendor in japan. I put some brand new m447's on em and bought some brand new control vinyl. The last time I used turntables I was on some beatup mk2's, cheapo stanton needles and scratchlive. However, I remember the pitch being solid. However these mk5s both wobble consistently 3/10th of a percent in either direction (i.e. -0.1, 0.0, +0.1, 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, +0.1, etc...) that's most of the time, but sometimes they go as far as a whole half a percent from 0.0 to +0.5. This is not a huge deal and im guessing it is either the nature of SDJ or the mk5's. The decks look and feel mint, the needles are brand new as well as the control vinyl. If it was one of the two decks i'd think it was a pitch control or needle or something but they both act identically. So i guess im just a bit surprised that this is normal? Its not enough to really affect that much but it is a bit annoying having my bpm constantly flipping around as its just kind of distracting. Anyways was just curious... thx

That drift seems normal actually. In releases up to the recent 2.0.5 there is the option to turn on Anti-drift in settings that works pretty good to lock the BPM.
17tr2 11:58 AM - 12 October, 2018
You have an issue with your TT's speed control. There's different ways to go about fixing it. Here's a link to a company that has some of these options.

www.kabusa.com
inputoutput 2:03 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
That drift seems normal actually. In releases up to the recent 2.0.5 there is the option to turn on Anti-drift in settings that works pretty good to lock the BPM.

Awesome, that did it. Thanks!!
inputoutput 4:55 PM - 13 October, 2018
So i thought i'd give an update. The anti drift, while it does solve the problem to an extent it makes subtle pitch bending difficult as the software wants to lock in that bpm so Ive since turned it off. I wanted to test this further so I tried some old control vinyls, different needles (ortofon and stanton) all produced the same results. Finally I downloaded Scratchlive to see if the problem existed there and it did but it was far more stable with only wobbling a little here and there. As a final test I busted out the old beatup mk2s and guess what... same. I guess I just got spoiled with CDJs and controllers perfect pitch. It was fun to revisit scratchlive though, man makes you realize how far this software has come in just 10 years. Haha
DJ Tecniq 6:13 PM - 13 October, 2018
Quote:
So i thought i'd give an update. The anti drift, while it does solve the problem to an extent it makes subtle pitch bending difficult as the software wants to lock in that bpm so Ive since turned it off. I wanted to test this further so I tried some old control vinyls, different needles (ortofon and stanton) all produced the same results. Finally I downloaded Scratchlive to see if the problem existed there and it did but it was far more stable with only wobbling a little here and there. As a final test I busted out the old beatup mk2s and guess what... same. I guess I just got spoiled with CDJs and controllers perfect pitch. It was fun to revisit scratchlive though, man makes you realize how far this software has come in just 10 years. Haha
Turntables are analog devices they have wow & flutter which caused bpm drift. Cdjs/controllers don’t have bpm drift but i do agree the drifting is more stable on Scratchlive.