Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

WWDC 2017 announces Apple MacOS High Sierra 10.13

John Calipari 3:54 PM - 7 June, 2017
Sierra OS 10.13 was announced at the WWDC 2017. I'm sure Serato had developers at the conference and are preparing accordingly.

Apparently what makes this macOS version update vastly different is the Apple's new AFS File system which will replace the HFS that Apple has used forever.

AFS is optimized for SSD and supposedly dramatically increases performance.

I'll be testing the High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta on a partition when it releases.

Anyone else?
EAZYATM 9:58 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Sierra OS 10.13 was announced at the WWDC 2017. I'm sure Serato had developers at the conference and are preparing accordingly.

Apparently what makes this macOS version update vastly different is the Apple's new AFS File system which will replace the HFS that Apple has used forever.

AFS is optimized for SSD and supposedly dramatically increases performance.

I'll be testing the High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta on a partition when it releases.

Anyone else?

Dont hold ya breath its good to keep up the good spirit but i dont think serato dj software will be ready for that os when it drops, i hope there on just as much as u!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:20 AM - 8 June, 2017
Hey guys,

We will start testing as always when the beta drops, but we strongly recommend that you don't upgrade your OS straight away - especially if DJing is your livelihood!

Cheers,
Michael.
fsant 7:34 PM - 14 June, 2017
So far for me DVS broke, the rest of Serato DJ seems to work fine. I have a support request in to see if this is just me or actually the Beta. waiting to hear back before i try uninstall and reinstall of Serato DJ to see if that helps.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 8:51 PM - 14 June, 2017
Thanks for the report fsant. We have the beta here and are beginning testing, but we've found in the past that a lot of things are broken in the early beta's that get resolved by Apple before release.
fsant 1:04 AM - 15 June, 2017
Michael, thank you for your reply, and I do get it, it’s not a Serato issue more a compatibility issue which I know will be resolved in the long run. What I would please like to know is if this DVS not working is also experienced by your testing team. This way I know for sure it’s not something small like reinstalling Serato, rather a definite issue caused by the Beta incompatibility. Then I can decide if I am willing to wait for it to get fixed in the next several weeks, or if I should just get off the MAC OSX beta so I can enjoy my Serato DVS.

Thank you very much.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:13 AM - 15 June, 2017
Understood. Probably best to keep working with Support now, they can keep you posted on any updates :)
fsant 1:47 AM - 15 June, 2017
Yeah, the thing is they have not yet responded with the answer to that question. is it happening to them also? this way i can restore my computer back because i much rather continue using my DVS.

thank you
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:25 AM - 15 June, 2017
Support won't be up and running on the beta yet, they'll be waiting for us in Dev to start the testing. They'll probably let you know more when we tell them more :)
Rebelguy 2:29 AM - 15 June, 2017
Cmon folks. The update is not even released yet. Why install something that's not officially supported or released yet and expect the Serato Team to provide support on it?
fsant 4:05 AM - 15 June, 2017
Hey Rebelguy, Nobody is asking for Serato to support it, if you read my post, I am just letting all here know that DVS is broken but all else works, and I am just asking Serato and anyone else who may have the beta if they too are experiencing the same just in case it’s just an isolated issue and maybe I just needed to uninstall and reinstall Serato as a fix. I stated I am prepared to go back off the beta if it’s confirmed as an issue related to the beta. Not sure why it’s so difficult to let me know if they installed it as well, and are testing all they have to do is fire up DVS and either it works or does not work. Not that big a deal. I came here to the forum to share my experience and ask for same.
popnwave 5:06 AM - 15 June, 2017
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

*bangs head against the wall*
Trackfeen 1:12 PM - 15 June, 2017
I've been messing around with High Sierra on my back up laptop (Early 2015 MBP 13in') outside of minor audio hiccup I was able to get through 2 hours of straight testing. When I checked diagnostic logs it seems the hiccup was driver related and not related to Serato DJ.. outside of that it worked well.

I know that you guys aren't supporting High Sierra, But I think with Apple File System (APFS), Serato will see some major performance gains.

For shits and giggles I did the "Sleep While HD is connected test". Closed the laptop for about 15 mins while Serato was still up and running, Aside from unplugging the mixer. As soon as I opened back up, There was almost 0 wait time to load another track from my external. Either Apple has finally gotten their shit together or Serato has developed a semi future proof piece of software. Either way, I'm excited.

One thing I will say to anyone who is messing around with this new OS. Reinstall any audio drivers before you start testing. It will give you a semi "known good" platform to work on so that you can trouble shoot easier... as I find out more, I'll keep you guy posted, currently have Serato DJ running on auto play, time code on loop overnight to see if anything crashes.. will report back laterrrrrrrr
John Calipari 3:41 PM - 28 June, 2017
Quote:
I've been messing around with High Sierra on my back up laptop (Early 2015 MBP 13in') outside of minor audio hiccup I was able to get through 2 hours of straight testing. When I checked diagnostic logs it seems the hiccup was driver related and not related to Serato DJ.. outside of that it worked well.

So Serato seems perfectly usable under High Sierra? Maybe even better??

Have you tried Ableton Live 9 and/or Logic and Final Cut under High Sierra?

Just Curious
djfreefall 11:19 PM - 18 July, 2017
Ableton 9 works great, haven't tried Final Cut 9 or Logic. Serato DJ does work, but functionality for recording live sets and adding/saving crates is unstable. I would assume the new APFS is the cause. My platinum notes is not working either. I would probably wait until Serato releases a beta for High Sierra before risking anything unless you have 2 machines.
Im currently on High Sierra Developer Preview 3.
DJ Yaitanis 10:29 AM - 22 August, 2017
On Beta 7 now with Serato DJ 1.9.7 (god they are milking 1.9.x) all is fine creates etc except for DVS support It could be Pioneer

Still no support for platinum notes 4 (error -1)
John Calipari 1:39 PM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
On Beta 7 now with Serato DJ 1.9.7 (god they are milking 1.9.x) all is fine creates etc except for DVS support It could be Pioneer

Still no support for platinum notes 4 (error -1)

Have you noticed how much more efficient High Sierra is with Memory Management? I'm also running the latest Developer Beta with APFS w/o Encryption. I have about 13.5GB RAM still free after booting, and still over 12GB RAM free after when running Serato in standalone. In fact, I can run Serato, iTunes, and Safari all at the same time and still have around 11GB RAM free.

I'm thinking this may be the best MacOS yet
douglas.nordgren 3:39 PM - 20 October, 2017
So I just bought my first mac and Pioneer DDJ SR2 and cant use it. any word on when it will be compatible?
John Calipari 5:43 PM - 20 October, 2017
Quote:
So I just bought my first mac and Pioneer DDJ SR2 and cant use it. any word on when it will be compatible?

Is the SR2 USB Complaint (does it need a macOS Driver)?