DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Help Picking next Active Speaker

DJ_Mav 9:02 PM - 6 June, 2017
I am currently shopping for new tops. I have a few I am considering but I am open to input and discussion on other products. I am looking for something that could be scale-able that I can take for small gigs and then also could be used along with my vrx subs for larger gigs.
Here are my top choices:
RCF ART 745a
JBL srx812p
JBL srx815p
EV ZXA5
dj_soo 9:25 PM - 6 June, 2017
Art 745 sounds like the forum favourite right now. ZXA5 gets louder but is easier to blow due to user error so if you're not the only one using it, might want to get an external limiter for it.
Rebelguy 9:38 PM - 6 June, 2017
Quote:
I am currently shopping for new tops. I have a few I am considering but I am open to input and discussion on other products. I am looking for something that could be scale-able that I can take for small gigs and then also could be used along with my vrx subs for larger gigs.
Here are my top choices:
RCF ART 745a
JBL srx812p
JBL srx815p
EV ZXA5

The only box that is scale-able on your list is the ZXA5 in the 60 degree version. All the other would exhibit comb filtering if placed next to each other.
pdidy 12:57 AM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Art 745 sounds like the forum favourite right now. ZXA5 gets louder but is easier to blow due to user error so if you're not the only one using it, might want to get an external limiter for it.

Ive also have this exact debate (with myself) and chose the Art 745 because of aforementioned reasons even though I've owned the zxa5.

Quote:
The only box that is scale-able on your list is the ZXA5 in the 60 degree version. All the other would exhibit comb filtering if placed next to each other.

True, so the next question is will he really need the output of 4 ev zxa5's or is it the wider 120 degree coverage he needs per side ?

DJ_Mav, unless you intend on owning 8 or more jbl vrx918sp subs you wont likely need 4 zxa5's to keep up with them. From my experience and/or opinion it takes 3 jbl vrx918sp to keep up with 1 zxa5 or Art 745 per side as seen here i26.photobucket.com. Even when I use 2 VRX with the RCF745 i26.photobucket.com I need to turn the RCF's down to balance sound.

So if 2 zxa5 or Art 745 can keep up with 6 VRX subs, do you need to get BIGGER than that ?
DJ_Dad 12:03 PM - 7 June, 2017
Also consider FBT Promaxx 114a. They fixed the "uglyness" of the 14a and added a full front grill and slightly better amps. I have the jbl srx815p and prefer the sound of the FBT to those. The JBL will go deeper in the really low range (30-40hz), but the overall response of the FBT is better and they throw for a mile. The SRX might be able to be EQ'd to sound close to the FBT, but I got the Promaxx because they are light and loud. The JBLs are beasts.
DJ_Mav 2:44 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Also consider FBT Promaxx 114a. They fixed the "uglyness" of the 14a and added a full front grill and slightly better amps. I have the jbl srx815p and prefer the sound of the FBT to those. The JBL will go deeper in the really low range (30-40hz), but the overall response of the FBT is better and they throw for a mile. The SRX might be able to be EQ'd to sound close to the FBT, but I got the Promaxx because they are light and loud. The JBLs are beasts.

Which is louder?
DJ_Mav 2:53 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
So if 2 zxa5 or Art 745 can keep up with 6 VRX subs, do you need to get BIGGER than that ?

Probably wont ever get to 6 vrx subs like you lol. At most would add 2 more for large school dances. But probably wont be doing that for another year.
I think I am narrowing it down between the fbt and rcf. I can get both priced about the same. I love the idea of these plastic boxes for portability.

Also dont know a whole lot about the FBT stuff but seems like they have some pretty solid lines of speakers.
ALEX REED 3:02 PM - 7 June, 2017
Bose F1 system
Brian M 3:35 PM - 7 June, 2017
RCF recently updated the HD32 with new processing and a larger high freq driver.

www.rcf.it
pdidy 4:16 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Probably wont ever get to 6 vrx subs like you lol. At most would add 2 more for large school dances. But probably wont be doing that for another year.
I think I am narrowing it down between the fbt and rcf. I can get both priced about the same. I love the idea of these plastic boxes for portability.

Also dont know a whole lot about the FBT stuff but seems like they have some pretty solid lines of speakers.

After switching from ev zxa5 to etx-15p i didnt like the weight of the ETX. So I started searching for something new again and came across the FBT Promaxx14a and loved it, the sound clarity and weight really is amazing Watchwww.youtube.com. But in the end I chose the rcf745 because it had better bass response when used stand alone.
DJ_Mav 5:11 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
After switching from ev zxa5 to etx-15p i didnt like the weight of the ETX. So I started searching for something new again and came across the FBT Promaxx14a and loved it, the sound clarity and weight really is amazing Watchwww.youtube.com. But in the end I chose the rcf745 because it had better bass response when used stand alone.

Was it a large difference in response and besides the bass response did one sound better than the other?
pdidy 6:40 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Was it a large difference in response and besides the bass response did one sound better than the other?

When 2 speakers are this great describing differences is more like nitpicking and almost impossible to tell which sounds better unless they are side by side. But if we are going to ignore bass response and max spl, I would have chosen the FBT Promaxx14a. There's this little extra sparkle of clarity on the FBT Promaxx14a that no other speaker in this price range has.
DJ_Dad 10:52 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When 2 speakers are this great describing differences is more like nitpicking and almost impossible to tell which sounds better unless they are side by side. But if we are going to ignore bass response and max spl, I would have chosen the FBT Promaxx14a. There's this little extra sparkle of clarity on the FBT Promaxx14a that no other speaker in this price range has.

Fbt technically has a higher rated spl and a more powerful amp than the 745. Both throw sound for a mile. I'll give you the low end bass is better on the 745. If you are using just two speakers then the 745s are hard to beat. The promaxx paired with subs are insane for the money.
Rebelguy 11:52 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
RCF recently updated the HD32 with new processing and a larger high freq driver.

www.rcf.it

The driver is new but the same size as before. The Thing I didn't like is that they replaced the powercon input with IEC.
pdidy 11:57 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Fbt technically has a higher rated spl and a more powerful amp than the 745.

I've learn not to put much faith in advertised spec used for marketing, almost all speaker companies lie at least a lil bit.
DJ_Dad 1:02 AM - 8 June, 2017
I don't put faith in advertised specs either, but FBT is dead on to my ears. They don't play marketing games like most companies that only list max power output. They also give the continuous SPL rating which is more "pro". Class H A/B amp for the tweeter is also better then a digital amp for clarity. They don't cut corners to save a buck.

Admittedly I have not heard the 745 next to the 114a to compare. My guess would be that the deep bass would be a bit better on the 745, but when cranked the 745 would not overpower the 114a. You had both right? Did you think the 745 was louder than the 114(14a)?
pdidy 1:55 AM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
I don't put faith in advertised specs either, but FBT is dead on to my ears. They don't play marketing games like most companies that only list max power output. They also give the continuous SPL rating which is more "pro". Class H A/B amp for the tweeter is also better then a digital amp for clarity. They don't cut corners to save a buck.

Admittedly I have not heard the 745 next to the 114a to compare. My guess would be that the deep bass would be a bit better on the 745, but when cranked the 745 would not overpower the 114a. You had both right? Did you think the 745 was louder than the 114(14a)?

No I had the EV ZXa5 to EV ETX-15p to RCF745. But I was able to demo both the rcf745 vs the FBT extensively side by side. There's no question that the FBT gets very loud and probably louder than I will ever have to use it 90% of the time so I have 0 complaints about the FBT.

But when you sit it next to a rcf745 and push them both to the max its clear the 745 is louder with a little headroom to spear. Now the fact that the 745 is louder is not that big a deal to me because its rare I would every need that much output from just 2 tops, it was the fuller bass response of the 745 that was the deciding factor.

By the way, the EV ZXa5 that i used to own is also louder that the FBT and a little louder than my RCF745 believe it or not...lol But the EV ZXa5 does not have great internal protection which I need when providing sound for other dj's.
DJ_Dad 2:07 AM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

No I had the EV ZXa5 to EV ETX-15p to RCF745. But I was able to demo both the rcf745 vs the FBT extensively side by side. There's no question that the FBT gets very loud and probably louder than I will ever have to use it 90% of the time so I have 0 complaints about the FBT.

But when you sit it next to a rcf745 and push them both to the max its clear the 745 is louder with a little headroom to spear. Now the fact that the 745 is louder is not that big a deal to me because its rare I would every need that much output from just 2 tops, it was the fuller bass response of the 745 that was the deciding factor.

By the way, the EV ZXa5 that i used to own is also louder that the FBT and a little louder than my RCF745 believe it or not...lol But the EV ZXa5 does not have great internal protection which I need when providing sound for other dj's.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I have heard before that the ZXa5 was louder than the 14a. It's hard to find a "speaker on a stick" that's going to beat the output of a ZXa5. I might need to save up to get a pair of 745s as well.
pdidy 2:20 AM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
I might need to save up to get a pair of 745s as well.

If I owned the FTB I don't think I would sell them for the 745, I don't think the loss in resell is worth the upgrade in bass plus a few db.
desmorider 2:52 AM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I might need to save up to get a pair of 745s as well.

If I owned the FBT I don't think I would sell them for the 745, I don't think the loss in resell is worth the upgrade in bass plus a few db.
Rebelguy 2:59 AM - 8 June, 2017
Any thoughts on just getting the Yamaha DSR112s? They are great sounding speakers with an excellent warranty and you can pick them up for around $800 each. They are on par with the JBL SRX 812s as far as output and sound quality.
SG SOUNDS 11:45 AM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How would you compare the bass response of the rcf745 to the srx815? I've never heard the rcf but the srx815 has incredible bass even the srx812 bass sounds amazing stand alone
pdidy 6:55 PM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How would you compare the bass response of the rcf745 to the srx815? I've never heard the rcf but the srx815 has incredible bass even the srx812 bass sounds amazing stand alone
to be honest i excluded the srx815 as an option due to weight alone. I never done a side by side of the 2 speakers but ive used the srx815 on many occasions and prefer the sound quality and bass of the rcf.
DJ_Mav 9:13 PM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
to be honest i excluded the srx815 as an option due to weight alone. I never done a side by side of the 2 speakers but ive used the srx815 on many occasions and prefer the sound quality and bass of the rcf

See this intrigues me because one would think with the wood enclosure it would sound better.
pdidy 11:25 PM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
to be honest i excluded the srx815 as an option due to weight alone. I never done a side by side of the 2 speakers but ive used the srx815 on many occasions and prefer the sound quality and bass of the rcf

See this intrigues me because one would think with the wood enclosure it would sound better.

Its a common and long standing belief that wood sounds better than plastic but according to many respected speaker design engineers this is a myth and has been debunked. Most professional sound guys are unaware of this fact and the rest simply refuse to believe it so educating them will never happen :)

Bill Fitzmaurice is a well respected speaker design engineer, pay special attention to his posts on this particular topic www.avsforum.com

There are many more discussions about this if you choose to dig deeper www.google.com
Richard Penrose 12:41 PM - 5 August, 2017
I'm currently using Yamaha DXR15's which are surprisingly good for their price! However, RCF are coming out with a wooden cabinet version of the 745a called the NX45a and it isn't too heavy at 23kg/50lb's! Sadly it doesn't have a HPF built in when using a sub and my QSC KW181's don't one either. The obvious RCF subs to use with this speaker are the 8003asII or 8004 and they are too heavy for me!
DJKayce 1:30 PM - 5 August, 2017
You can get an external crossover to go with your set if u buy the RCF.

I have 745A & Yorkville LS801P which dosent have HPF either. I use external crossover or sometimes I use DBX GoRack. There's a setting in there that slightly cut off bass. That's works too.

I wish you good luck.
Taipanic 8:37 PM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:
Any thoughts on just getting the Yamaha DSR112s? They are great sounding speakers with an excellent warranty and you can pick them up for around $800 each. They are on par with the JBL SRX 812s as far as output and sound quality.

These are my go to powered tops at the moment. Stay clear when cranked up and they get very loud. Have to use subs with them as they don't have much low end but I've been impressed with mine so far. Sound great with my Yorkville LS800p or the JTR Orbit Shifters.
My ZXa5s have been relegated to monitor duty due to a seemingly "unfixable" rattle I keep hearing in one of the cabs. Sent it out 3 times for repair, still hasn't been resolved...
JDforKing 12:59 AM - 8 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

These are my go to powered tops at the moment. Stay clear when cranked up and they get very loud. Have to use subs with them as they don't have much low end but I've been impressed with mine so far. Sound great with my Yorkville LS800p or the JTR Orbit Shifters.
My ZXa5s have been relegated to monitor duty due to a seemingly "unfixable" rattle I keep hearing in one of the cabs. Sent it out 3 times for repair, still hasn't been resolved...

I'm looking at a pair of the dsr112 along with a pair of rcf art 732 or the hd12a to use with a sub outdoors. Do you think I'll get similar results when using a sub crossed with all of these tops?
Richard Penrose 7:46 PM - 27 November, 2017
I tried the FBT Promaxx 14a next to my DXR15’s and thought the DXR went louder and had greater depth of bass. After reading various user reports on the FBT’s I’m beginning to wonder if I possibly did something wrong when comparing them!?

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has compared the FBT Promaxx 14a or 114a to the DXR15? Also interested if anyone has changed compared the RCF 745a to the DXR15?

RCF recently brought out a mk4 version of the 745a which supposedly improves clarity even more!.
dj_soo 9:36 PM - 27 November, 2017
where did you have the volume at? 12:00? Different speakers set the 0db mark at different volumes. A proper test would be to push the speaker until the limit light starts to kick in - that's when you'll find out the overall output of the box.
Richard Penrose 10:01 PM - 27 November, 2017
From memory I had them both at 12 o’clock to start with and in the end I had the Promaxx up full at +6 dB to match the DXR15.
pdidy 11:02 PM - 27 November, 2017
Quote:
where did you have the volume at? 12:00? Different speakers set the 0db mark at different volumes.

+1
Quote:
From memory I had them both at 12 o’clock to start with and in the end I had the Promaxx up full at +6 dB to match the DXR15.

dj_soo was correct, the DXR15 is 0db at 12oclock vs FBT Promaxx 14a is 0db turned all the way up. Also the FBT Promaxx 14a does not have a +6db gain setting as 0db is its max.

Now with equal gain structure its my belief the FBT Promaxx 14a will outperform the DXR15.
dj_soo 11:40 PM - 27 November, 2017
basically, you want to drive the signal to the speaker until you see the limit light going - that will tell you which one is louder...
Richard Penrose 7:43 AM - 28 November, 2017
Sorry my mistake. The FBT was turned all the way up not 12 o’clock. I forgot that 0dB was at max.
I couldn’t get the limit light to flicker on either of them as they were both too loud for my hearing in the space I tested them!
DJ GaFFle 12:34 AM - 29 November, 2017
Quote:
They don't cut corners to save a buck.

Looks like FBT did replacing Powercon with IEC power connectors.

Whoever mentioned the RCF NX45A, thank you! www.rcf.it
DJ_Dad 2:18 AM - 29 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
They don't cut corners to save a buck.

Looks like FBT did replacing Powercon with IEC power connectors.

Not sure that really saves much at all. I think it has more to do with the typical user of that line and availability of IEC cables for that group. All their higher end pro lines have Powercon.
pdidy 2:34 AM - 29 November, 2017
Quote:
THAT'S a rcf 745 but in wood with POWERCON.
pdidy 3:43 AM - 10 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

to be honest i excluded the srx815 as an option due to weight alone. I never done a side by side of the 2 speakers but ive used the srx815 on many occasions and prefer the sound quality and bass of the rcf.

JBL SRX 815p Vs RCF ART 745a
Watchwww.youtube.com
pdidy 3:45 AM - 10 October, 2018
But lets be honest, the jbl OBVIOUSLY looks better........
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:54 AM - 11 October, 2018
RCF RCF! RCF! :P
I am a believer :)
DJ Guayo 1:35 PM - 12 October, 2018
Mang that RCF HDP 45a looks like the business. Don't think it's available stateside yet.
DJ Guayo 1:37 PM - 12 October, 2018
www.ymusic.kz

page 14
pdidy 1:02 AM - 13 October, 2018
Quote:
Mang that RCF HDP 45a looks like the business. Don't think it's available stateside yet.

Dam you right! I dont even want to look at it LOL
Richard Penrose 7:43 AM - 13 October, 2018
Yep I’ll definitely be picking up a pair of those HDP 45a’s to try when they become available!
DJ_Dad 10:30 AM - 13 October, 2018
It doesn’t look that different than a 745 mk4, just with a nicer grill. The power spec is mileadkng because they list peak now instead of RMS. The dB output is exactly the same and I suspect the amp snd drivers are exactly the same as well.
Richard Penrose 10:33 AM - 13 October, 2018
The HDP-45a has a slightly larger 1.5” compression driver compared to the 745a’s 1.4”.
DJ Guayo 4:17 PM - 13 October, 2018
Quote:
It doesn’t look that different than a 745 mk4, just with a nicer grill. The power spec is mileadkng because they list peak now instead of RMS. The dB output is exactly the same and I suspect the amp snd drivers are exactly the same as well.

Spec wise they are similar but it does address things people don't like about the 745 mk4. Full grill and lack of powercon. They is also the RCF NX 45 which is full grill, power con, and wooden box (for those that prefer wooden boxes). Options are always good and we can all agree specs don't always tell the full truth. I doubt any of us mobile DJs would utilize the RDnet capabilities on the HDP 45a.
DJ GaFFle 2:00 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
The HDP-45a has a slightly larger 1.5” compression driver compared to the 745a’s 1.4”.

That's the horn exit size. The compression drivers are both 4".