Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

3 decks

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
jeffm 12:32 PM - 30 November, 2004
why not 3 decks? It’s easy to program I’m sure and would instantly give an advantage over any other turntable control system. anyone know of plans of for a 3 deck version?
nik39 2:22 PM - 30 November, 2004
Show me how you want to use 3 decks with 2 inputs on the SSL amp... A simple h/w restriction, which makes sense IMHO, as only a few would use 3 decks, but the price for the scratch amp would be higher. But I agree, it would be nice though...
Adion 2:34 PM - 30 November, 2004
There already are systems which give you control over 3 decks.
One of them is djDecks ( www.djdecks.be )
jeffm 6:00 AM - 1 December, 2004
two rca inputs and outputs and an extra phono preamp circuit would be so negligable a price difference that it would certainly make sence. not to mention that rane could justify the mark-up on the amp and make more $.
BassChamber 9:59 AM - 1 December, 2004
problem is most djs just use two turntables, so then rane should make a new hardware interface just to please a minority.

mmm market rules... anyways, after being playing three decks techno sets during several years, i finally understood that quality of the music is more important than mix track over track... but is just my honest opinion :P
bartaug 10:08 AM - 1 December, 2004
Quote:
problem is most djs just use two turntables, so then rane should make a new hardware interface just to please a minority.

It is a goog suggestion for possible future hardware... An extra output would also be good to play loops and samples through (make a build-in Cycloops like device)

Quote:
that quality of the music is more important than mix track over track... but is just my honest opinion :P

I agree on that.
DJ Yaz 10:35 PM - 1 December, 2004
RE: Market Rules, would it really be that expensive to add some imputs?

While most DJ's have two turntables, more an more guys are using 1 or 2 CD players with their turntables (including me). I would really like to see an SSL amp with 4 inputs, and the ability to assign any of them to either line or phono (as exists now with the two inputs).

One of the big deterents to going with 3 (or 4) tables is the difficulty of switching the records (or CDs). SSL makes it much easier to assign tracks to all these tables efficiently and could make for live sets that were next to impossible without the software.

If you build it, they will come.
radish 11:11 PM - 1 December, 2004
I agree it would be a nice option, but I think you understate the expense. It's not just "adding a couple of inputs" - you need extra ADCs, extra amps. There may be issues with bandwidth on USB1, so maybe a switch to USB2 would be required. You'd need more power to run those amps - more than USB? Maybe. So mandatory external PSU. And that's without even considering the software changes.
djpetey 1:29 AM - 2 December, 2004
if youre running two turntables and one cd table, isnt it pretty easy to bring your laptop and a book of cds? that would allow you to do everything are wanting to do without waiting for a new build of the ssl box
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 3:46 AM - 2 December, 2004
I have the ability to use 2 TT's and 4 CD players I would love to see a 4 input interface.
skutch 5:28 PM - 2 December, 2004
again----you could just buy another laptop and another ssl. I know its expensive, but reallistically that's going to be the only way to do it for a long while if at all.
SpinThis! 4:37 PM - 3 December, 2004
or at least another scratch box. it might be entirely possible to run 2 ssl boxes on one computer...
Xspringe 4:40 PM - 4 December, 2004
3 or 4 deck support is a big deal for me as well, I'd really like to see support for this asap!
DJ Yaz 7:52 PM - 9 December, 2004
Quote:
if youre running two turntables and one cd table, isnt it pretty easy to bring your laptop and a book of cds? that would allow you to do everything are wanting to do without waiting for a new build of the ssl box

I have been doing that actually, but CD's are a clumsy way to handle music. I would like to be able to use SSL as my single point source for music. My main motivation is so that I can access samples for scratching very quickly, and mix two instumentals over one accapella.

Radish is probably right when he says that I am underestimating the expense. It would likely be a big deal. Maybe if SSL wrote the software to allow me to buy and install a second amp I could do that. I really wouldn't mind the additional $500 expense to be able to use 4 tables. I also wouldn't mind having the redundancy of 2 different amps in case one fails or is unplugged or something. This way all the people who are fine with 2 decks would be insulated from the expense of this more elaborate setup.

It would be nice if all of the users and the Serato/Rane people could start thinking in terms of the extreme user who wants things like midi, 4 tables, firewire, etc. etc. and the entry level/"I don't want 500 buttons" guys who are fine with the basics. It would be nice if we could direct our suggestions to say "a premium SSL" that spared no expense to include all of the state of the art technology and ideas. Then also direct suggestions to the basic model, were the focus would be to execute the fundemental tasks of SSL reliably & inexpensively.

It seems to me that a lot of the debate in the forums is between the users who want K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and those who want to make SSL into the most elaborate (read: complicated) system possible so that it can do just about anything one could think to do. I would say I am part of the second group, but I certainly understand the goals of the K.I.S.S. people. We should really have a way to accomodate everyone.
nik39 8:54 PM - 9 December, 2004
Quote:
Maybe if SSL wrote the software to allow me to buy and install a second amp I could do that.

Yeah, I also own two SSL right now, and allready tried to run SSL twice... but doesnt work :`(
Revolutionary 9:00 PM - 9 December, 2004
Hmm. Might sound stupid, but what about getting two laptops and letting them share one external HD? Would that work?
radish 10:20 PM - 9 December, 2004
The only way you could share the external drive would be on ethernet I think, but it should work. Otherwise, just sync up 2 drives with the same files.

Yaz - I agree, SSL Lite and SSL Gold may be the way forward :)
djpetey 12:33 AM - 10 December, 2004
thats not a bad idea..... I dont know if its feasable for rane/serato, but it would solve a lot of problems..... I love ssl and my only fear is bloat.....even if the system works as well as it does now with bloat, Id like it if they kept the computer specs somewhat low (like they are now)..... i have two mediocre laptops right now that work great with ssl and id prefer that to spending the same amount on one amazing computer to run ssl gold
DJ Yaz 5:10 AM - 14 December, 2004
Yes SSL Gold! Great name Radish! They could package it with special stickers and a button or something. Maybe paint the amp gold too! ;)

Also, props on your program for getting playlists into Word, you Rock man! Serato should give you some free stuff for that!
Revolutionary 6:07 AM - 14 December, 2004
Bling bling! Love that.
TGK 7:12 AM - 14 December, 2004
This is my idea. :-) about 3 decks.

I think if u use 4 channel mixer this would be possiable.
then SSL can play tunes internal mode with line input channels and able to play regular vinyl from phono input channels.
radish 6:09 PM - 14 December, 2004
Quote:
Also, props on your program for getting playlists into Word, you Rock man!

My pleasure - glad it's working out for you.
nik39 6:15 PM - 14 December, 2004
Your app saved me from writing down all tracks manually :) Good work again.
dave h-bomb 10:45 PM - 9 March, 2005
well, do we know if it will happen or not?
mods?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:54 PM - 9 March, 2005
Quote:
well, do we know if it will happen or not?
mods?

www.scratchlive.net

Quote:
Q) When will <Insert Feature/Version Update Here> be released, I need it really badly because <Insert Reason Here>????

A) If we knew we would post a date, if no-one has posted a date we simply *can't* tell you. So there's no point in asking.

Cheers :-)
dave h-bomb 11:59 AM - 11 March, 2005
awwwwwwwww!( in spoilt kid whining tone)