Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Harassed by Cop's about Promoter's License

DJ Bushido 5:47 PM - 15 June, 2009
I am being Harassed by Cop's about Promoter's License.
I am a Weekend DJ at a small hookah lounge in Las Vegas.
I make a small myspace Flyer that is posted electronicly for Myspace only (an Image) and This Investigator comes in with the Flyer Printed and tells me
A.) I need a Business License
B.) I need a Promoters License

Now I do have a DBA but I work for this place like an Employee. But I do this for Fun, and Get Free Hookah, and Free Food and Drinks.

I also Work at another Location on Wednesday for a Motorcycle Cafe for a Bike night once a week. Here I do get paid, but again I work for this Guy.

My Question is:
Do I need a Business License when I am working for the company?
Granted I am going to go get me one, just so that I don't have to worry about the cops asking for my Papers.

and 2

Do I really Need a Promoters License to tell people where I play?

I have many people making flyers for the Cafe I do for the Bike Night, I just hand then out.

Here is the link to the flyer
i24.photobucket.com
I make the flyer myself

One thing about the officer, she did say if I work for someone they should be bonded, Now that just show liability. If I am playing in a Location, The Owner that hired me to work for them, have Insurance, let alone Liability?

I know at the Hookah lounge & The Motorcycle Cafe I work at is all straight.

She wrote me a Fix it Ticket so I have like 10 Days to get it done. I am going Downtown Tomorrow, but wanted to know about this here, I am From Las Vegas Clark County.

Thanks for all and Any Reply
David
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:58 PM - 15 June, 2009
I dont know much about much but my personal uninformed opinion is that is some ole bullshit
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:59 PM - 15 June, 2009
how much would it cost to get these liscenses?
djskiggz 5:59 PM - 15 June, 2009
you type funny
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:00 PM - 15 June, 2009
hahah....from the look of your flier it acutually looks more like your promoting your myspace...shouldnt need a liscense for that
djskiggz 6:07 PM - 15 June, 2009
i like the little quotes from random people talking about the place like a movie review. You should put on there:

"The music is orgazmic"
- Hot chick in pink wearing a black thong but didn't catch me looking.
DJ Bushido 6:09 PM - 15 June, 2009
Yeah, I kinda am promoting my myspace.
lol DJskiggz I am going to use that. That is too Funny lmfao
djskiggz 6:10 PM - 15 June, 2009
ha
djskiggz 6:11 PM - 15 June, 2009
Quote:
"The music is orgazmic"
- Hot chick in pink wearing a black thong but didn't catch me looking.......forgot her name

fixed lol!
DJ Bushido 6:11 PM - 15 June, 2009
Bezzle I agree it is some kind of shit. but I don't need them messing with me, so I try to do the best I can, so I am not fined or something, I just have been working hard to work for a place. Now I have one and the Officers show up. That is hard for business, and or me trying to get myself known. People already know me, yet I need to get out there more.
DJ Bushido 6:13 PM - 15 June, 2009
skiggz that is classic lol there is a chick with pink at least once a week. lol
djskiggz 6:13 PM - 15 June, 2009
hahaha, there you go!
DJ Bushido 6:15 PM - 15 June, 2009
I was looking into ADJA, but the membership is kinda high, I need to read into what all you get. All my music I get from Promo, Funkymix, XMiX, Hrate, MP3Pool, etc.
So Do I need? to play music for the Public?
djskiggz 6:17 PM - 15 June, 2009
What state are you in? I don't think you need a license if you're working for the company. They should have a license for stuff like that already.
djskiggz 6:18 PM - 15 June, 2009
oh wait vegas
lol
djskiggz 6:18 PM - 15 June, 2009
DuH
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:19 PM - 15 June, 2009
do you get paid cash or check??
DJ Bushido 6:19 PM - 15 June, 2009
Well, It is a small Hookah lounge, So I don't think they have that
DJ Bushido 6:20 PM - 15 June, 2009
Cash
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:20 PM - 15 June, 2009
if you dont mind me asking how does the pay work, do you get like an hourly rate, the door, tips, ect ect
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:26 PM - 15 June, 2009
Quote:
I was looking into ADJA, but the membership is kinda high, I need to read into what all you get. All my music I get from Promo, Funkymix, XMiX, Hrate, MP3Pool, etc.
So Do I need? to play music for the Public?

Im sure theres a way around this but its really on you to way the cost of doin so VS not doing so...if its in your budget to get the liscenses then of course that would be the easiest route but i would research it if i were you, it sounds to me like something that could come up durring tax time or other random occasions to bite you in the ass. It acutually sounds like the busniess should be the one with the liscense but i can see how getting them to pay for one would mabye put your gig on hard terms....if it were me..(AND MIND YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IM DOING AND IM NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THE LAWS HERE)...I would just tell them i dont need a busniess liscense because im doing it for free, its a lounge and their just giving me a space to come play, and as far as the promoters licscense...its not my party im just letting people know my schedule and add me on myspace....do you need a promoters liscense to send out invites to a graduation, wedding ect ect im pretty sure you dont. As long as your not getting paid i dont see how you can be required to have this stuff and as long as your paid quietly with cash i dont see how they can prove your getting paid......unless they google your name and read this and in that case im simply brainstorming and take no legal responsibility for any information proveded here and take no responsibility on how people may interperit or apply sed ideas.......just my 2 cents, im not big on authority
djskiggz 6:32 PM - 15 June, 2009
DJ Bushido 7:16 PM - 15 June, 2009
yeah sorry, legelzoom is not what I am looking for. I just got off the Phone with ADJA so far they say I just need to get a Sales Tax License then work on getting my Business License together, as far it goes with the Promoters Deal, that means I am in charge of the whole Venue. in which I am not.

But to work as a Mobile DJ I would need this. He classified me as so, due to the Fact I am in an outside area, with Mobile Equipment. So If I am bringing my gear, then I am Mobile. If it was setup there then I would not have to worry.

So It is funny that All this is happening, So that I can get all this done, I hope everyone learns what is going on and check your local area, This is just for Las Vegas and Clark County. and Bezzle, for someone what does not know you sure have a lot to say. It is best to check your fact before giving your personal opinion, cause it could cost other people time, money, and a lot of frustrations. Just my 2 cent.
But I thank you for you assistance over all.
djskiggz where you spin bro?
DJ Bushido 7:22 PM - 15 June, 2009
Bizzle I just reread your post again
ADJA Stated that the Location pay the royalties for the Music. AKA
BNG and ASCAP.org

When I go to the Wynn, they PAID this Fee, due to the Crazy amount of Shows they already have there. So This kinda falls on the Venue, or Location. This is a Grey Area I am hearing, but the fact that the 2 Officers keep following me must mean I am either doing something right, and someone is just hating on me.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:26 PM - 15 June, 2009
Quote:
yeah sorry, legelzoom is not what I am looking for. I just got off the Phone with ADJA so far they say I just need to get a Sales Tax License then work on getting my Business License together, as far it goes with the Promoters Deal, that means I am in charge of the whole Venue. in which I am not.

But to work as a Mobile DJ I would need this. He classified me as so, due to the Fact I am in an outside area, with Mobile Equipment. So If I am bringing my gear, then I am Mobile. If it was setup there then I would not have to worry.

So It is funny that All this is happening, So that I can get all this done, I hope everyone learns what is going on and check your local area, This is just for Las Vegas and Clark County. and Bezzle, for someone what does not know you sure have a lot to say. It is best to check your fact before giving your personal opinion, cause it could cost other people time, money, and a lot of frustrations. Just my 2 cent.
But I thank you for you assistance over all.
djskiggz where you spin bro?

if i had facts to back it it would no longer be an opinion, it would be a fact, and the fact that i very clearly labeled it an opinion should save people the need to personally decide wether they should take what i have to say as an opinion or fact. Im just brainstorming for you making sure you dont miss anything, giving you things to ponder. It does sound like someones hating on you because i would assume in vegas the cops have better things to do than check up and verify every flier they find.
DJ Bushido 7:36 PM - 15 June, 2009
yeah I agree, Did not mean to say anything by that, It was just an observation of what I was reading. Nothing more. It is pretty much close to what I am finding out. So it is much common scene then anything else. yet getting everything done in a timely manner is what's going on. I really just need to get the basic's and move on. if they come back again I have the facts. So that they do not have to write me a fix it ticket. But everyone thanks for your help in brainstorming, and making a great laugh.
This was the first time really using this site. So I will make time to be on here more.
Ja Matane
DJ Sniffles 7:39 PM - 15 June, 2009
My guess would be to talk to others with experience in LV
djdalite 2:26 AM - 16 June, 2009
talk to a lawyer, that sounds like some bullish to me
SUBSTANCE 3:15 AM - 16 June, 2009
you mean actual police? I would be asking for their identification cos yeah, sounds like bullshit.
what are the actual consequences of telling these guys to fuck off?
why are you doing that is getting all this unwanted attention?
They could be reaching you outside of your actual DJ hours too, it's poor form to harass you while you're working.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 PM - 16 June, 2009
I just reread this, they handed you a flier that was printed from myspace?? I would definatly fight this, are you trying to tell me that official police logged onto myspace found a flier printed it out and came to harass you. That dosent sound legit in any sort
DJ Sniffles 3:56 PM - 16 June, 2009
Did you pull any pranks on anyone recently?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:12 PM - 16 June, 2009
I think those cops may have been strippers, were they carring a boombox.
DJ d.range 8:03 PM - 16 June, 2009
maybe a competitor knew these cops and sent them over to harass you

Fight the Power!

Don't believe the Hype!

Can't Truss it!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:04 PM - 16 June, 2009
it is vegas, there were probably expecting you to just bribe them instead of acting like a do gooder and running out and getting a lisence haha. they probably just wanted free drinks or a skip the line pass, free bottle service ect ect
SiRocket 9:58 PM - 16 June, 2009
Quote:
it is vegas, there were probably expecting you to just bribe them instead of acting like a do gooder and running out and getting a lisence haha. they probably just wanted free drinks or a skip the line pass, free bottle service ect ect

the day there is a line at a hookah lounge is the day i quit business... this whole thing sounds like bs... either way have the property "BUDDY buddy" pay for the "performance" license deal. If you are doing this for free or little to no pay, then it might be a reality check to charge more so you can cover your ass for having to deal with these things ;)
Audio1 10:27 PM - 16 June, 2009
You want my personal opinion? The venue should be taking care of this, Not you. I am unsure how some cities are. Here in SF, The venue most of the time takes care of these issues and absolutely never leaves it up to said DJ's and/or promoters to handle.

You should have probably bribed him/her, knowing its Vegas and all.

It might be too much trouble dealing with this venue.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:16 PM - 17 June, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

the day there is a line at a hookah lounge is the day i quit business... this whole thing sounds like bs... either way have the property "BUDDY buddy" pay for the "performance" license deal. If you are doing this for free or little to no pay, then it might be a reality check to charge more so you can cover your ass for having to deal with these things ;)

but if hes not getting paid then hes not a busniess.....why would he need a busniess liscense?
SiRocket 4:38 PM - 17 June, 2009
another example on why doing free gigs ='s LOSE.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:29 PM - 17 June, 2009
Quote:
another example on why doing free gigs ='s LOSE.

if he was doign free gigs he wouldnt have to worry about this stuff
SiRocket 5:40 PM - 17 June, 2009
i'll put money on it that free hookah, free food, free drinks, is basically peanuts or "FREE" nuts compared to even $100.00 compensation.. :-/ Is it worth this hassle? i would rather spend my time getting paid a decent amount of cash, enjoying myself, and not having to deal with this..... ;)
SUBSTANCE 9:04 PM - 17 June, 2009
free hookahs is pretty sweet for a DJ gig
SiRocket 9:07 PM - 17 June, 2009
for the correct amount of compensation, you could rent out a hookah bar for a few hours for a bunch of your friends, or buy 6-8 hookahs for your house... LOL
bourbonstmc 10:22 PM - 17 June, 2009
Quote:

Maybe if they load it with hash...
Bigga Bounce Ent 2:13 AM - 18 June, 2009
Quote:

Fight the Power!

Don't believe the Hype!

Can't Truss it!

And 911s a JOKE !!
Caramac 10:09 AM - 18 June, 2009
Sheeeeit I can't do nuthin for ya man
Bigga Bounce Ent 2:28 PM - 18 June, 2009
You want 6 dallaz fo what !?!? Man you betta kiss ma butt !!!
FunkyRob 3:22 PM - 18 June, 2009
Don't they have hooker bars too somewhere around Vegas?
DJ Overpour 5:20 PM - 18 June, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe if they load it with hash...

And Im still thinkin thats not that sweet
SUBSTANCE 12:06 AM - 23 June, 2009
I was having a play with hookah/hooker. Free hookahs is no big deal, that communal fruity smoke tastes shit.
Tunecrew 1:12 AM - 23 June, 2009
don't know about the laws in NV, but I would consult an attorney- a lot of that doesn't sound right
DJ Bushido 10:47 PM - 10 September, 2009
Here is the skinny,
In Vegas you do not need to have any license to be a DJ.
a DJ is just like a Job.
If you are running a venue then it is a different story.
as for the cops, I told them to check with the owners.
The Owners have all the proper paperwork.
as for me, i am in the clear for anything. all is good.
Thanks for all the comments, and jokes, they where fun to read.
DJ Josh V 11:15 PM - 10 September, 2009
Quote:
Whats state are you in......oh wait vegas
lol

Vegas is not a state DJ skiggz,LOL!

Just fuckin' withcha ;-)
Audio1 11:28 PM - 10 September, 2009
Quote:
Free Hook Ups, he meant. LOL