Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

New Macbook Pro with Serato?

Mike Sinclair 3:42 PM - 25 May, 2017
I know this has been brought up, but I was wondering: is the new MB Pro working well with Serato? I'm talking about the non touchbar version (I have no use for the touch bar... I think it's gimmicky). I just wanted to see, now that the new ones have been out for awhile if people are using them with Serato without issues. Thanks!
John Calipari 5:47 PM - 25 May, 2017
Quote:
I know this has been brought up, but I was wondering: is the new MB Pro working well with Serato? I'm talking about the non touchbar version (I have no use for the touch bar... I think it's gimmicky). I just wanted to see, now that the new ones have been out for awhile if people are using them with Serato without issues. Thanks!

Rumor is that Apple is going to do another Macbook Pro Refresh at their next WWDC later this year.

While being controversial and pissing off those that plunked down on $2K+ on Macbook Pros last year, the new ones are expected to have the 7th Gen Intel Kaby Lake processors and a Max of 32GB Ram.

In short, if your looking to buy a Macbook Pro, wait until later this year and get a 2017 Kaby Lake or a 2016 at a much cheaper price than they are currently.
Logisticalstyles 12:58 AM - 26 May, 2017
I'm considering selling my 2016 MBP with Touchbar. I do gigs with my late 2013 MBP and it works just fine. The 2016 only has a 256 GB hard drive. If it was a 500 GB or if my music was all on my external then I would just use the 2016 as my DJ laptop. It's worked with my SB2 and AMX using SDJ and I've had no issues. I may wait until right before they announce the new ones to sell it.
Mike Sinclair 3:55 PM - 11 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Rumor is that Apple is going to do another Macbook Pro Refresh at their next WWDC later this year.

While being controversial and pissing off those that plunked down on $2K+ on Macbook Pros last year, the new ones are expected to have the 7th Gen Intel Kaby Lake processors and a Max of 32GB Ram.

In short, if your looking to buy a Macbook Pro, wait until later this year and get a 2017 Kaby Lake or a 2016 at a much cheaper price than they are currently.

Good call. They just released the new ones with kaby lake. So my question is, does the non-touchbar new Macbook pro play well with Serato? Or should I keep my model now (model right before they went with usb-c)?
BoogieDownDJServices 5:12 PM - 11 June, 2017
Same question thinking of upgrading from late 2013 fully loaded to the new new 2016 but I don't like the touch bar feature is that gonna be on the late 2017 ones an if so does that mess up performance with serato.
Mike Sinclair 9:38 PM - 12 June, 2017
Nobody? Maybe no one has bought the new Macbook Pro? I am thinking of taking the plunge. Is the i5 good enough, or should I go i7 ... and 8gb ram or 16? Also, for those who like chroma cables, there is a petition going around to get usb-c chroma cables made... just throwin' that out there.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 9:58 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Nobody? Maybe no one has bought the new Macbook Pro? I am thinking of taking the plunge. Is the i5 good enough, or should I go i7 ... and 8gb ram or 16? Also, for those who like chroma cables, there is a petition going around to get usb-c chroma cables made... just throwin' that out there.

Hey Mike,

I've heard cases of many DJs using the New Macbook Pros(non touchbar version) with Serato DJ without any issue. Just make sure whatever cable or converters you're using are apple certified.

Cheers.
DJ Tecniq 9:59 PM - 12 June, 2017
I have no interest in a newer MacBook Pro. I have a 15" Mid 2014 MacBook Pro w/Nvidia graphics card and performs flawlessly I could give 2 shits about a touch bar. It doesn't offer anything more performance wise than what I already have. I don't need the latest and greatest my shit was $2400 brand new when purchased in 2014 it's already a beast. So can someone tell me what the real advantage is here?
Mike Sinclair 10:03 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Mike,

I've heard cases of many DJs using the New Macbook Pros(non touchbar version) with Serato DJ without any issue. Just make sure whatever cable or converters you're using are apple certified.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. For Serato (which is all I use my laptop for) is the i5 with 8gb of ram enough or would you recommend going bigger on the cpu OR the ram (or both)? And, yeah, I would buy the non touchbar version. I have no use for the touchbar.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:05 PM - 12 June, 2017
Hey Mike,

I personally use an i5 with 8gb of ram. I have PnT DJ enabled, use FX, have my buffer set to 2ms and never run into audio dropouts. I think these specs are fine but more power never hurts :)

Cheers.
Mike Sinclair 10:07 PM - 12 June, 2017
Awesome... thanks again... appreciate it :)
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:37 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
I have no interest in a newer MacBook Pro. I have a 15" Mid 2014 MacBook Pro w/Nvidia graphics card and performs flawlessly I could give 2 shits about a touch bar. It doesn't offer anything more performance wise than what I already have. I don't need the latest and greatest my shit was $2400 brand new when purchased in 2014 it's already a beast. So can someone tell me what the real advantage is here?

Sooner or later you will need to upgrade. Your laptop is already 3 years old.

I'm looking at the new 15s because of the 4gb Video card. I'd be interested to know how they will handle mix emergency and the likes.

My current one is the same mid 14 15 you have.

What's the word on USB B to C cables instead of the adapters?
Mike Sinclair 8:07 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I second this question. Anyone recommend any good USB-C to USB-B cables? Or if it has to be an adapter, what's a good one? I chatted with Mattias over at DJ Tech Tools and they are hoping to offer USB-C to USB-B Chroma Cables in a couple of months! Meanwhile, what should I use?
DJ Tecniq 10:20 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Sooner or later you will need to upgrade. Your laptop is already 3 years old.

I'm looking at the new 15s because of the 4gb Video card. I'd be interested to know how they will handle mix emergency and the likes.
True on upgrading however a lot of DJ's are running 2012 MacBook Pro's or before and performance is fine. As for video I'm barely running 10-15% CPU the 2 gig video card is plenty imo.
popnwave 2:35 AM - 14 June, 2017
My mid 2012 still chugs along with Mix Emergency and streaming with under 15% while playing 1080p videos.

Almost 5 years old and no issues. Wish there were more models w/o a touchbar which seems to be the BUS hog so far.
dj ruderoy 10:24 PM - 14 June, 2017
I am needing to upgrade from my mid 2012 model, just wondering if the i5 is going to perform well enough, i currently have an i7 and dont want to feel like im taking a step back? But could do with saving the extra money it cost for the i7. Am i right to say having more memory will serve me better 16gb over 8?
DJ Tecniq 4:11 AM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
I am needing to upgrade from my mid 2012 model, just wondering if the i5 is going to perform well enough, i currently have an i7 and dont want to feel like im taking a step back? But could do with saving the extra money it cost for the i7. Am i right to say having more memory will serve me better 16gb over 8?
Well for starters an i7 is definitely more powerful than an i5. Much faster and you can analyze more files as it's a better processor. As for ram not sure if that would make a huge difference but the processor will and if it's an i7 it should have a dedicated graphics card which is great for video purposes.
Mike Sinclair 11:46 AM - 15 June, 2017
Well for starters an i7 is definitely more powerful than an i5. Much faster and you can analyze more files as it's a better processor. As for ram not sure if that would make a huge difference but the processor will and if it's an i7 it should have a dedicated graphics card which is great for video purposes.

Darn it... I ordered an i5 and it's too late to cancel it. Reading this, I should've gone with the i7. I guess I can analyze on my iMac (which is an i7). Anyone have input on a good usb-c to usb adapter? Is there one DJs are using that works well?
Mike Sinclair 3:02 PM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
Darn it... I ordered an i5 and it's too late to cancel it. Reading this, I should've gone with the i7. I guess I can analyze on my iMac (which is an i7). Anyone have input on a good usb-c to usb adapter? Is there one DJs are using that works well?

Apple lets you cancel for a full refund even if the order has shipped! So, I'm returning the i5. I just ordered an i7 with 16 gigs of RAM... screw it... might as well go big :P
Logisticalstyles 8:43 PM - 15 June, 2017
I wish I would have known that. When I bought my MBP I ordered the 256GB version instead of the 500GB. I didn't realize it until a couple of days after I received it.

As far as USB-C adapters, I've had luck with the Apple adapter, and one from Cable Matters. The one from Cable Matters is pretty dope. It has a USB 3.0, Ethernet, VGA, and HDMI port.

I also have a dock made by StarTech. It has 5 USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, DVI-D, and DVI-I ports plus a headphone jack. It works OK but I'm a bit disappointed with it only having DVI video outputs. They could have at least added a HDMI port. I use the dock in my office. Can't see using it for gigs. The other adapters work fine for portable use.
Mike Sinclair 8:46 PM - 15 June, 2017
I found this one from Cable Matters: www.amazon.com

Hopefully that will do the trick until the usb-c chroma cables are released.
Logisticalstyles 8:54 PM - 15 June, 2017
Nice find. Let us know how it works out for you.
DJMIXX79 3:15 AM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:
I found this one from Cable Matters: www.amazon.com

Hopefully that will do the trick until the usb-c chroma cables are released.

Mike - I ordered one.. did this work for you??
Mike Sinclair 3:28 AM - 20 June, 2017
Don't have the new MacBook Pro yet. Won't have it for a couple of days.
DJMIXX79 3:32 AM - 20 June, 2017
well darn.. okay.. guess I'll be the first to test out LOL.
Mike Sinclair 3:34 AM - 20 June, 2017
I will post once I receive it as well... let us know DJMIXX79
DJMIXX79 10:30 PM - 20 June, 2017
Nope - doesn't work.
Mike Sinclair 10:38 PM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:
Nope - doesn't work.

Really? That sucks! Crap, now what? Some kind of adapter?
DJMIXX79 11:04 PM - 20 June, 2017
I guess.. it's really frustrating to be honest.
DJ Business 11:45 PM - 20 June, 2017
I have tested my 2017 macbook pro 15" touchbar with 2.8ghz i7 500gbSSD 16gb ram with my vestax vci 300 and only used an aukey usb c to usb adapter and it worked consistently for 3 hours. I was not performing at a gig just testing at home.

I ordered some USB 2.0 to USB C Cables from Monoprice to see if those will work.

I will also be testing them on CDJ2000nxs djm900nxs and nxs 2 setup as soon as I get them
DJ Business 11:46 PM - 20 June, 2017
i meant vci-380
DJ Tecniq 1:06 AM - 21 June, 2017
I would play it safe and get a Mac w/o Touchbar. Fuck plugging in an adapter mayne... #ifitaintbrokedontfixit
Mike Sinclair 1:07 AM - 21 June, 2017
DJMIXX ... do you have touchbar version or non touchbar?
DJMIXX79 3:55 AM - 21 June, 2017
touchbar and the Roland 808 DJ :(
DJMIXX79 3:57 AM - 21 June, 2017
I can't get anything to work.. it's pissing me off
DJMIXX79 4:05 AM - 21 June, 2017
I would sell my 2016 touchbar 500GB i7 16GB ram 15 inch for one without a touchbar but I don't believe I can get one with a dedicated video card and 15 inch if I go less than a pro .. not sure what to do really, at this point.
DJ Tecniq 5:07 AM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
I would sell my 2016 touchbar 500GB i7 16GB ram 15 inch for one without a touchbar but I don't believe I can get one with a dedicated video card and 15 inch if I go less than a pro .. not sure what to do really, at this point.
Try Bestbuy.com you can also order a Mac on the Apple Store or have them custom make one w/o touchbar.
DJMIXX79 5:09 AM - 21 June, 2017
I already have this one and just got it about a month ago.. I don't have 1-2k to drop on another one..
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:03 AM - 21 June, 2017
Perhaps you should try a dock instead of adapters.

I use an elgato thunderbolt 2 dock with my 2014 MBP. I believe they have released a thunderbolt 3 version

other brand include Kanex, OWC, Belkin
DJ Tecniq 6:03 AM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
I already have this one and just got it about a month ago.. I don't have 1-2k to drop on another one..
I understand but shouldn't of jumped the gun and went with a Mac w/touchbar I'm sure there's a fix there are others users using the touchbar Macs w/o issue. Hope you get it solved.
DJMIXX79 1:52 PM - 21 June, 2017
Didn't know there were any issues
DJ Tecniq 3:23 PM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
Didn't know there were any issues
This isn't the first post regarding touchbar/Serato on the forum there's a few of them. I think using the correct adapter is the key though.
popnwave 5:08 PM - 21 June, 2017
It's nice that they DO make non-touchbar 15"s but non come with dedicated gfx so that's instant disqualification for any video DJ. Audio guys should be able to roll with them no problem though.
DJMIXX79 1:39 AM - 22 June, 2017
Will Serato keep working on this issue to try and fix it with the touch bar? or are they done and moving on to other things?

What doggle or hub do I need to buy that works? Anyone in here have a 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar using Roland 808 DJ and thunderbolt ports? what are you using to get the damn software to recognize and connect the controller to Serato DJ
BoogieDownDJServices 11:30 PM - 22 June, 2017
Thinking of buying New 2016 with touch bar wondering how serato is working with Sierra an video.
popnwave 2:51 PM - 23 June, 2017
Quote:
Will Serato keep working on this issue to try and fix it with the touch bar? or are they done and moving on to other things?

What doggle or hub do I need to buy that works? Anyone in here have a 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar using Roland 808 DJ and thunderbolt ports? what are you using to get the damn software to recognize and connect the controller to Serato DJ

This is something Apple will need to address on the OS.

Do you not remember the El Capitan fiasco?
Mike Sinclair 9:45 PM - 23 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Nope - doesn't work.

My new MB Pro came today. I plugged the cable in and it works perfectly. I plugged the cable in before opening Serato. But yeah ... works great on the 13 inch none Touch Bar Mac!
Mike Sinclair 10:49 PM - 23 June, 2017
NON touchbar...
DJBenski 2:53 AM - 26 June, 2017
Hi,

I have a new Macbook Pro and it works amazing with Serato. However, I bought last years model that has more legacy ports because I wanted to have regular USB connections, audio jack for headphones and HDMI port.
John Calipari 2:34 PM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
It's nice that they DO make non-touchbar 15"s

I may be mistaken, but I thought Apple only made 13"'s Non-Touchbars while all 15" iterations had Touchbars.
popnwave 2:57 PM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
It's nice that they DO make non-touchbar 15"s

I may be mistaken, but I thought Apple only made 13"'s Non-Touchbars while all 15" iterations had Touchbars.

I was just going by a quick look at this, it might be a 2015 they have as a new option with the 2017s?

www.apple.com

2.2GHz Processor
256GB Storage
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
256GB SSD storage1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
$1,999.00
R-Tistic 11:34 PM - 10 July, 2017
Wait, so what is the touchbar and why does it suck?

Also, what's the newest model that has regular USB?

Is it smart to buy a 2015 or 2016 model that's brand new and not refurnished?
Serato, Support
Dave. 2:45 AM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:

Apple released new Macbooks that feature a touchbar strip along the top of the keyboard area. These models of Macbook are known to be problematic while using Serato primary hardware that is NOT class compliant (requires specific, manufacturer drivers).

More info here: support.serato.com

Quote:
Also, what's the newest model that has regular USB?

I believe you'll need to purchase a 2015MBP if you wish to avoid USB-C ports

Quote:
Is it smart to buy a 2015 or 2016 model that's brand new and not refurnished?

Depends on your budget and how you intend on using Serato DJ. We always recommend buying a new laptop that leans towards the higher range of our system requirements. More info here: support.serato.com
Logisticalstyles 3:45 AM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:

A gimmick. It serves no realistic purpose. The fingerprint scanner is a nice convenience but it's nothing that hasn't already been implemented in the PC market.
jevo9 7:16 AM - 11 July, 2017
MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 with touch bar.
Works perfect for me with the djm s9, Serato sl2 box, denon box.

All I did was buy the Aukey adapter. Works perfect
( I Dj every weekend too)
litothekid 11:01 PM - 22 July, 2017
Hi Guys,
I've recently got my new macbook pro 13" (no usb ports, no touch bar) running Sierra 10.12.5.
I own a SL1 box.
I've installed Scratch Live 2.5 with the workaround and it works analyzing files and setting cue points, when I connect the SL1 box trough an adapter thunderbolt/usb (dodocool) the track just plays distorted and audio comes and goes repeatedly, both in internal and relative mode.

Anybody has overcome this yet? I Just wanna make this SL1 work!

May it be the adapter/cable?

I've tried SL1 + Scratchlive on usb macbook pro running Sierra and works just fine.
DJ Tecniq 1:56 AM - 23 July, 2017
In all honesty you should of did some research before purchasing a new MacBook Pro esp when Scratchlive is no longer supported nor is it officially supported for Sierra. The last stable OS for Mac was Yosemite.
DJ Tecniq 1:57 AM - 23 July, 2017
Stable for Scratchlive* that is
popnwave 3:48 PM - 24 July, 2017
You -might- be able to pull it off with an SL2/3/4 but those SL1s are for older machines.
pedro81 5:48 AM - 2 September, 2017
Hello Everybody
I arrived at home now to playing in a disco a 7 hours set and I will show you my experience with Serato 1.9.7 OS X Sierra and Apple MacBook Pro 15" con Touch Bar Core i7 2,9GHz | 16GB RAM | 500 SSD PCIe | Radeon Pro 460 4GB

Sorry Im fucking angry because I work with akai amx and afx and I never had problems in old MacBook Pro retina 2015.

I show you the problems :

Suddenly I can see the yellow or red circle cpu alert during my set and the audio crash 1 second ,,, it is very fast and aleatory in the time I can't know when It will crash

Last day I send a Serato support a ticket ... they recommend me turn off : wifi , bluetooth and other energy option ,,, ok I do all and my problem continued ,,, it suddenly crash audio 1 second and led cpu yellow or red Suddenly appears.

i had try change latency cpu in Serato ... 2 second 5 seconds 10 seconds and the same problem.

I show you how I have connected my set :

Akai amx is connect with cable usb b to usb c
Akai afx is connect to LMP Mini Dock Hub USB-C ... I had other hub and the same cpu problem ( Satechi Adapter Pro Hub USB-C )

Power macbpook pro cable is connected in the third thunderbolt 3 and finally I have connected HDD lacie d2 thunderbolt 2 4TB with Atikio thunderbolt 2 conversion in the fourth Thunderbolt 3 (www.akitio.com)

I have the theory about my cpu problerm:

During my set I have tried many things and I thinking that the problem is ly acie d2 and Conversor atikio thunberfolt 3 a 2 because I use video clips saved alls videos in the lacie hdd ..... the video size is 100 or 150 megas each ,,, Perhaps Serato have a communication problem with adapter o I don't know

I never had this cpu craches In macbook pro 2014

Im angry because I love Serato since first version and I can't work now with my new MacBook Pro tough bar which it cost me 3200€ guys!!!!

Tonight I will work avoiding to connect Lacie D2 ... I hope cpu problems fix and I could buy usb c HDD

If you have old MacBook Pro and work with Serato please you dont buy macbook .... you must hope more time
DJ Tecniq 6:06 AM - 2 September, 2017
Quote:
Hello Everybody
I arrived at home now to playing in a disco a 7 hours set and I will show you my experience with Serato 1.9.7 OS X Sierra and Apple MacBook Pro 15" con Touch Bar Core i7 2,9GHz | 16GB RAM | 500 SSD PCIe | Radeon Pro 460 4GB

Sorry Im fucking angry because I work with akai amx and afx and I never had problems in old MacBook Pro retina 2015.

I show you the problems :

Suddenly I can see the yellow or red circle cpu alert during my set and the audio crash 1 second ,,, it is very fast and aleatory in the time I can't know when It will crash

Last day I send a Serato support a ticket ... they recommend me turn off : wifi , bluetooth and other energy option ,,, ok I do all and my problem continued ,,, it suddenly crash audio 1 second and led cpu yellow or red Suddenly appears.

i had try change latency cpu in Serato ... 2 second 5 seconds 10 seconds and the same problem.

I show you how I have connected my set :

Akai amx is connect with cable usb b to usb c
Akai afx is connect to LMP Mini Dock Hub USB-C ... I had other hub and the same cpu problem ( Satechi Adapter Pro Hub USB-C )

Power macbpook pro cable is connected in the third thunderbolt 3 and finally I have connected HDD lacie d2 thunderbolt 2 4TB with Atikio thunderbolt 2 conversion in the fourth Thunderbolt 3 (www.akitio.com)

I have the theory about my cpu problerm:

During my set I have tried many things and I thinking that the problem is ly acie d2 and Conversor atikio thunberfolt 3 a 2 because I use video clips saved alls videos in the lacie hdd ..... the video size is 100 or 150 megas each ,,, Perhaps Serato have a communication problem with adapter o I don't know

I never had this cpu craches In macbook pro 2014

Im angry because I love Serato since first version and I can't work now with my new MacBook Pro tough bar which it cost me 3200€ guys!!!!

Tonight I will work avoiding to connect Lacie D2 ... I hope cpu problems fix and I could buy usb c HDD

If you have old MacBook Pro and work with Serato please you dont buy macbook .... you must hope more time
Sorry to tell you buddy but the Macs w/Touchbar do not play well with Serato there's actually a whole post on the forum about it. Something to do with the adapter dongle for the new Macs.
pedro81 12:47 PM - 2 September, 2017
DJ Tecniq hi man

can you send me post link about it please???

thanks
DJ Tecniq 3:20 PM - 2 September, 2017
Quote:
DJ Tecniq hi man

can you send me post link about it please???

thanks
Sure here hope it helps serato.com
Niro 8:58 PM - 2 September, 2017
I'm using a 2017 15" mbp with touch bar and love it. I'm using it with an S9, only issue I had was the hotplugging issue, which is a easy issue to deal with.
deejdave 11:56 PM - 2 September, 2017
Quote:
I'm using a 2017 15" mbp with touch bar and love it. I'm using it with an S9, only issue I had was the hotplugging issue, which is a easy issue to deal with.

Enjoying the newest 3.1ghz myself. Love it. Touch bar is pretty useful too ............. with other apps.
itsDJTP 11:31 PM - 31 October, 2017
I have a 2016 MBP 13” w/touch bar

Had a total nightmare. Whilst it works with my S9 and also my DJM 850 at home, it doesn’t work on the road with DJM 900/900nexus 2 and caught me short at some high profile jobs which was pretty annoying. Luckily I still have my 2011 MBP, but this is on its last legs and the graphics card will fail soon (my second 2011 MBP, graphics card failed on last one).

It’s incresibly frustrating as apple won’t take it back because it’s custom with a 1TB SSD.

Can anyone confirm the 2017 MBP WITHOUT touch bar works on various set ups?

Would really appreciate the help
Logisticalstyles 12:16 AM - 1 November, 2017
I gave up and sold mine. There were some other audio glitches outside of working with Serato. I didn't trust it for Doing with.
deejdave 12:43 AM - 1 November, 2017
I did not expect much of the 2017 as it is still 2017. I go with a new MBP every two years at most and this is generally how I do it. For now I stick to the 2012's and 2013. Anyways due to this I have not done much more than brief connection tests with my hardware. I have quite a bit so perhaps when I have time I will get some thorough testing done and report any inconsistencies etc.
popnwave 3:18 PM - 1 November, 2017
Quote:
I did not expect much of the 2017 as it is still 2017. I go with a new MBP every two years at most and this is generally how I do it. For now I stick to the 2012's and 2013. Anyways due to this I have not done much more than brief connection tests with my hardware. I have quite a bit so perhaps when I have time I will get some thorough testing done and report any inconsistencies etc.

I've seen little issues with the 2015s now that you can at least bump internal storage (albeit not being cheap) aftermarket.. Of course you'd need to get that 16GB from the start:

eshop.macsales.com
Aptidda 4:00 PM - 1 November, 2017
first and foremost DJ Tech Tools products are complete garbage, I have had to exchange almost every "chroma cable" I have ever had as it went bad in a matter of months. Also Ean Golden is "special". I met with him in person and he is like a sloth the way he moves around. I would go to Guitar Center all day versus buying from him.

second off I am using a late 2012 mac mini with an i7 16gb ram fusion drive. Still mobbing SDJ with zero issues with all EFX packs and add ons.

Any mac later than 2012 will run SDJ, the new mac pros are overpriced pieces of garbage.
itsDJTP 11:08 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I've seen little issues with the 2015s now that you can at least bump internal storage (albeit not being cheap) aftermarket.. Of course you'd need to get that 16GB from the start:

eshop.macsales.com

In an early 2015 MBP (13inch) can you manually upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16gb?
popnwave 2:39 AM - 4 November, 2017
Quote:

In an early 2015 MBP (13inch) can you manually upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16gb?

Nope, once Retina came along, the RAM pretty much -had- to be ordered in the amount you wanted at purchase.
itsDJTP 9:10 AM - 4 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, once Retina came along, the RAM pretty much -had- to be ordered in the amount you wanted at purchase.

Damn. But you can upgrade the hard drive right?
deejdave 12:05 PM - 4 November, 2017
Please note this applies to retina only as the 2015 13" MacBook Pro can certainly be upgraded in both SSD and RAM.

And yes if you follow link provided above the SSD is now upgradable but not with typical SSD.
popnwave 4:09 PM - 4 November, 2017
Everything post 2013 was Retina though? 2012 was the last year you could get unibody non retina which is of course why so many of us love the mid-2012s with the optibay.

MacBookPro9,1
MacBookPro9,2

Were the last with user upgradable RAM I always thought.. have I been living a lie?

Of course the only variations now are Touch-Bar and non Touch-Bar but they are all still Retina and non user upgradeable with RAM.
Esteban Ticora 3:32 AM - 5 January, 2018
Hello friends.

I currently have Macbook Pro Mid 2011 and I have good performance but when I use Video, Visuals or some like that I use 80% - 100% of CPU and the videos look slow and they look frozen

I've had thinking to buy a New Macbook Pro 2017 13" whitout touch bar
2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

Is it good to buy it? or better 2015 retina?
DJ Tecniq 4:14 AM - 5 January, 2018
Here’s my suggestion I run a 15” Mid 2014 MacBook Pro and it is fast as hell with i7 processor, 16 gigs ram and nvidia graphics card with about 15% cpu in SDJ which is super low. Your 2011 is struggling cause it prob doesn’t have a dedicated graphics card in which Video mixing is best with a better graphics card. Personally i don’t see what the hype is about the touchbar or any of the new Macs esp the ones that have 1 USB port...no thanks. Good luck in whichever you choose. For the record any 2012 MacBook Pro/Air will run SDJ perfectly fine. If you want a Mac strictly for video mixing then get a 15” MacBook Pro they have a secondary graphics card for video mixing/multiple tasks. Hope it helps.
Deejay ATL 10:12 AM - 5 January, 2018
I've got the 2017 Macbook pro 15" with touch bar and here's my experience so far:

My SL3 box wasnt connecting with my laptop in anyway.
If i had it connected when i switched on the computer then the blue light on the box would come on but the software wouldnt show the two decks.
If i connected the SL3 box to the computer while it was on then it wouldnt see it.

I reinstalled the OS then it was okay.

But now i have an issue with the screen where it would for a tiny split second freeze now and again while i was deejaying.
Feels crazy to say this but i think its to do with where you place the laptop while you deejay!
When i picked up the laptop with my hands to isolate it from loud noise and bass then it seemed fine!
John Calipari 5:13 PM - 5 January, 2018
Quote:
Personally i don’t see what the hype is about the touchbar or any of the new Macs esp the ones that have 1 USB port

I agree with most of this.

With USB-C being able to push 3 5K monitors, 40GB Data Transfers from external TB3 devices, etc, all while being able to be charged through the same cable, 2016/17 Macbooks are geared for Desktop use, that's where their value is.

Even then, '16/'17 Touchbar Macs contradict themselves. If your at a desk with 1 or multiple 4k or 5k LG Monitors, Genelic Studio Speakers, all hooked to a MOTU Sound Interface, . . . . Would you really want to use the Macbook's new short-travel keyboard just to be able to also use the Touchbar? Using a Magic Keyboard and leaning forward to view and reaching arms length at the Touchbar is impractical.

On the other hand, in a truly mobile setting, unless one lugs around 5k Monitors around with them, all of the pricey '16/'17 tangible features evaporate as they get left back at the desktop/home studio, because all you really pack with your MBPr in a WiFi Cafe (or DJ Gig) is a charger cable. And some would argue the convenience of the Touchbar is offeset by the nuisance of the new keyboard.
Deejay ATL 6:19 AM - 8 January, 2018
update:

I had the same issues with glitchy waveform displays while using Serato.
I thought it was the placement of my laptop but thats not the case anymore.

however i tried using SL4 with Technics decks and my problems was gone.

so i am thinking i might have an issue with HID mode using CDJs with the USB hub
Logisticalstyles 2:33 AM - 11 January, 2018
I had the 2016 MacBook Pro with touch strip and I ended up selling it and reverting back to using my late 2013 MacBook Pro.

I had some trouble initially using SDJ with Sierra but I eventually figured things out and got it working. I did however have audio issues outside of using SDJ. The audio would stop working randomly and the only fix was either a reboot or running a sudo command in terminal. I didn't feel like I could trust it when it came to audio and I didn't want to risk having any issues while DJing with it. I also did not like using the dongles and adapters for USB-C. They were bulky and ugly. Lastly, I ordered the wrong size hard drive and couldn't take it back or swap it out. I thought I ordered the 500GB model but instead I ordered the 256GB model and you can't upgrade these newer Macs. All of that was enough for me to go back to the old reliable 2013. It's already maxed out and has given me zero issues.
mister_wilson 12:57 AM - 19 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I second this question. Anyone recommend any good USB-C to USB-B cables? Or if it has to be an adapter, what's a good one? I chatted with Mattias over at DJ Tech Tools and they are hoping to offer USB-C to USB-B Chroma Cables in a couple of months! Meanwhile, what should I use?

i would only use the Apple USB C converters right now to insure they are up to the highest standards
Mike Sinclair 12:58 AM - 19 January, 2018
DJ Tech Tools now has USB-C Chroma Cables and they work perfectly. store.djtechtools.com
John Calipari 4:43 AM - 19 January, 2018
Quote:
DJ Tech Tools now has USB-C Chroma Cables and they work perfectly. store.djtechtools.com

Serato would get serious revenue if they even put their insignia on "Serato Approved" cable(s) from Belkin,, OWC, Wireworld, Monster, Mogami, or Canare high end cable.

I think Wireworld Starlight is the best out there right now but it cost
popnwave 4:18 PM - 19 January, 2018
Quote:

Those look great!

Quote:
I think Wireworld Starlight is the best out there right now but it cost

I do like their flat cables, but oof yeah ROI for that is debatable.
Mike Sinclair 4:46 PM - 24 January, 2018
You guys got me researching cables now. Is there a noticeable difference in sound? I was scoping out the AudioQuest Carbon, but 128 bucks for a cable? Is it really worth it? The chroma cables seem to work fine, but should I be using something better?
monkeyfunk 9:55 PM - 24 January, 2018
Quote:
You guys got me researching cables now. Is there a noticeable difference in sound? I was scoping out the AudioQuest Carbon, but 128 bucks for a cable? Is it really worth it? The chroma cables seem to work fine, but should I be using something better?

No, mate.
deejdave 2:17 AM - 26 January, 2018
Not a sound difference thing. OEM Apple cables (when available) have historically been the only cables to last and when I say last I am talking forever as opposed to third party (belkin, griffin etc.) only lasting for a short period.
trninired 12:36 AM - 22 March, 2018
I just got 2012 Mac with a i7 16 gigs and a 1 tb sshd just wondering if I am safe with serato dj pro
deejdave 2:49 AM - 22 March, 2018
Should be fine for a bit.
trninired 3:12 PM - 22 March, 2018
Thanks got kind of nervous
John Calipari 3:50 PM - 22 March, 2018
Quote:
I just got 2012 Mac with a i7 16 gigs and a 1 tb sshd just wondering if I am safe with serato dj pro

It sounds like you have the Mid-2012 non-Retina Macbook Pro either 13" or 15.4". Is that correct?
trninired 5:37 PM - 22 March, 2018
Yes
trninired 5:38 PM - 22 March, 2018
1 yepp 15 in
Selector 3D 10:07 PM - 29 March, 2018
Greetings,

I have the new MacBook pro (touchbar) and I am having an issue with connection to the Pioneer ddjsx (several of them) which is puzzling.

It seems as if something is stopping/blocking the controller from connecting to the Serato application once the application is loaded up. Let me know if I had explained the issue properly below .

Scenario 1- If I power on my computer, open serato dj application (allowing it to load library/crates), load up a song and THEN try to connect to the controller (standard way) it would fail to connect.

Scenario 2 - I power on my laptop.... I connect to the controller first, which obviously means the Serato dj drivers connects behind the scenes, based on the light flash on the controller, THEN open the Serato DJ application. Once serato dj is opened the controller is connected.

I know the hub is recommended, which I already use. but just checking with you guys to see if any further thoughts on this. Quite a few djs i know experience this issue.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:41 PM - 30 March, 2018
I have been using "scenario 2" method since Serato DJ 1.7/1.8

That's the only way I know that guarantees connection.

Though I have noticed that SDJ Pro 2.0.x connects better with Scenario 1 method but I'm used to Scenario 2 method now.
Selector 3D 2:46 PM - 30 March, 2018
Quote:
I have been using "scenario 2" method since Serato DJ 1.7/1.8

That's the only way I know that guarantees connection.

Though I have noticed that SDJ Pro 2.0.x connects better with Scenario 1 method but I'm used to Scenario 2 method now.

Yeah I thought the 2.0 fixed this glitch initially as well, then I noticed I experienced the " fail to connect" while the serato dj pro application was open. I am not sure whats the trigger to this.
Terrence Stokes 4:23 PM - 30 March, 2018
Here is how I got mine to work on macs.
1. Turn on your sound card ie. Mixer, controler,
2. Go to your system preferences
3. Go to sound
4. Select your device as the sound output.

That is all
Now whenever you cut on your device it should work.
Selector 3D 7:08 PM - 30 March, 2018
Quote:
3. Go to sound

That is all

I don't believe thats the issue. The device is the sound output already so no worries there, however the program itself is still not connected (split) for use/showing as connected to the controller.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:17 PM - 30 March, 2018
My only device that connects 100% every time I try it irrespective of Scenario, hot plugging and unplugging is the Wego3 (class compliant)

Every other device I have is a lottery (DJ 808, Rane 62, S9, MCX8000 now sold, MC6000)
Terrence Stokes 12:09 AM - 31 March, 2018
Quote:
My only device that connects 100% every time I try it irrespective of Scenario, hot plugging and unplugging is the Wego3 (class compliant)

Every other device I have is a lottery (DJ 808, Rane 62, S9, MCX8000 now sold, MC6000)

Trust me it worked. Just try it. I don't think the MacBook is going to that sound card.
Terrence Stokes 12:10 AM - 31 March, 2018
Quote:

Trust me it worked. Just try it. I don't think the MacBook is going to that sound card.
Selector 3D 1:17 AM - 31 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Ok I will try it out and let you know. Thanks man
Selector 3D 9:30 PM - 31 March, 2018
Quote:
3. Go to sound

That is all

Tried it but it didn't change anything, I think my issue is slightly diff unless I'm doing something wrong. when I connect the controller and go to the system preferences sound... the controller is already listed as the sound output it seems....yet the Serato dj pro program itself is still not splitting/showing as connected to the hardware.
Terrence Stokes 10:08 PM - 31 March, 2018
Just highlight your driver description then turn off serato and turn back on.
Terrence Stokes 10:09 PM - 31 March, 2018
You are telling the MacBook to go to that option when you have that driver in the option.
deejdave 12:57 AM - 1 April, 2018
Try this:

1. Connect/power on hardware
2. Open Audio MIDI setup > Window> Show MIDI Window
3. Re-set the Change Configuration drop down from 'Default' to 'New Configuration'
djambesa 6:54 PM - 20 June, 2018
Quote:

yo i have this same system, and using Serato Dj Pro. Just recently i got a black screen. I did a gig on a friday, when i was done, i closed the laptop in sleep mode. Opened it up two days later, it opened up fine from sleep mode with serato dj pro still there, i closed the app, and a minute later, the display went black. I rebooted, the apple logo was present then it dimmed and went black, i did all the tips and tricks, and nothing. i booted up to safe mode, and it opened just fine. Tried a regular boot, and black screen. I decided to reformat and reinstall, and erase the disk with a fresh install(did this 3 times). When it was completed, the problem still remained, black screen, but safe mode it worked. Did the dj Pro do something to make it go haywire? i did have that 'Retina option' checked. i wonder if that did something. i have never had an issue till now.
popnwave 7:29 PM - 20 June, 2018
Sounds like your video card is going bad, I'd get it checked out by Apple.
djambesa 7:32 PM - 20 June, 2018
Quote:
Sounds like your video card is going bad, I'd get it checked out by Apple.

Thank you! yes, i immediately took it to them for repair. Just really sucks that these things are not covered, Especially if its out of our control.
Aptidda 8:55 PM - 20 June, 2018
I just purchased 3 new Macbooks the new 13inch fully spec'd, the new 13inch touch bar with touch ID fully spec'd, and the 15inch touch bar with touch ID fully spec'd. So far so good with performance across all fronts.

I have been using the touch bar 13 and 15 inch plugged into my Rane 72 because I like to roll with a backup computer at all times. Nothing but buttery smooth lightning fast things happening in my life boys, too bad you clowns are rocking old school crap books. I'm good.....
djambesa 8:57 PM - 20 June, 2018
Quote:
I just purchased 3 new Macbooks the new 13inch fully spec'd, the new 13inch touch bar with touch ID fully spec'd, and the 15inch touch bar with touch ID fully spec'd. So far so good with performance across all fronts.

I have been using the touch bar 13 and 15 inch plugged into my Rane 72 because I like to roll with a backup computer at all times. Nothing but buttery smooth lightning fast things happening in my life boys, too bad you clowns are rocking old school crap books. I'm good.....

ok, thats pretty damn ignant to be calling people names because you like to flash like a clown.
John Calipari 1:26 PM - 21 June, 2018
Quote:
ok, thats pretty damn ignant to be calling people names because you like to flash like a clown.

It seemed abrasive at first, but nowadays it's like a Badge of Honor when you unexpectedly get "Aptidda'd"
djambesa 3:51 PM - 21 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

It seemed abrasive at first, but nowadays it's like a Badge of Honor when you unexpectedly get "Aptidda'd"

LOL, i hear you
Marco Palazzo 88 2:36 AM - 3 July, 2018
Hi guys i have i new macbook pro 13 no touch bar, i connect djm 850 in usb ub from aukey and working without any problem and also the external hard drive it connect to untill now no issue and workung grate
monkeyfunk 4:59 PM - 4 July, 2018
I figured out that the issues I have had come with my Touch Bar MacBook come from connecting to a specific type of Wifi router, but what router that is, I have no idea.
John Calipari 11:01 AM - 6 July, 2018
Quote:
I figured out that the issues I have had come with my Touch Bar MacBook come from connecting to a specific type of Wifi router, but what router that is, I have no idea.

Then how did you come to that conclusion?
deejdave 2:35 AM - 8 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I am assuming he knows the network name etc. but the router is not his thus does not know they type of router.
deejdave 2:35 AM - 8 July, 2018
AKA open network with no passcode.
monkeyfunk 7:22 AM - 17 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Deduction.
Rebelguy 11:35 PM - 17 July, 2018
Quote:

It must be nice to have rich parents who buy you all these expensive toys to use in your bedroom.
deejdave 1:41 AM - 18 July, 2018
www.apple.com

Ouch times three?!?!? Life has a funny way of sorting people out.
deejdave 1:42 AM - 18 July, 2018
It's like Apple saw his post and decided to take action LOL
DJ Tecniq 5:42 AM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:

You should use one of those new MacBooks to show us your skills for once. We might believe you then.
Aptidda 5:02 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

It must be nice to have rich parents who buy you all these expensive toys to use in your bedroom.

LOL @ "Rich Parents". I am self made NO HANDOUTS. BTW I ended up returning those 3x MacBooks as soon as I heard of the new ones. Instead I opted for 2x of the new Macbooks with 32 GB of Ram and 4TB SSD's with top shelf processors. One for me and one for the wife, it ran me about $15,000.00. But hey, money is just a bunch of numbers with decimal points right?
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:27 PM - 18 July, 2018
You're full of shit, I've only seen you on your YouTube vids with a Mac mini, you talk so much shit you start to believe it yourself

Probably got that 72 on finance too
Aptidda 5:33 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
You're full of shit, I've only seen you on your YouTube vids with a Mac mini, you talk so much shit you start to believe it yourself

Probably got that 72 on finance too

lol, jealous again Sparky?