Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Touch Screen Display Mode

VP 6:45 PM - 19 May, 2017
some of us use touch screen monitors and would like to be able to use the touch screen monitor for minor quick functions. there's a lot of wasted space that could be used be used to add buttons. The interface could also use bigger buttons.

1. toggling btwn REL and INT mode: The drop down arrow slows this process. especially since we don't have this on the mixer (djm-s9) or not easily remappable.
2. big 2 LOAD buttons on the interface to load songs to deck A and B. there's currently only eject buttons on the interface.
etc

we touch screen users would generally appreciate the serato dj interface to get touch screen friendly during updates..
VP 6:02 PM - 25 May, 2017
with the wasted space under the INT mode in horizontal, vertical and extended (that i use) mode, we touchscreen users would greatly appreciate if you could have REL and INT as different larger buttons because some of us turntable users need to get to these buttons quick at the touch of a button/keyboard without having to use the mouse.

We would also appreciate a track big LOAD button since there's already an unload button.
Laz219 5:42 AM - 4 June, 2017
I feel like this would only really be much benefit to people using touchscreen tablets (and with the surface not being recommended for use at all, that becomes a pretty narrow market) - in the case of touchscreen laptops, everything you want can easily be achieved with keyboard shortcuts anyway.
VP 11:11 AM - 6 June, 2017
Quote:
I feel like this would only really be much benefit to people using touchscreen tablets (and with the surface not being recommended for use at all, that becomes a pretty narrow market) - in the case of touchscreen laptops, everything you want can easily be achieved with keyboard shortcuts anyway.

laptops and computers are getting more powerful and touch based. where are you getting that the surface isn't recommended and why would it not be recommended?
the reality is that we're headed that way..

apple is behind when it comes to hardware technology but serato is a multi platform software and there's plenty of pc users with touch laptops and [small] touch monitors like myself.

i use my 13" monitor right by my djm-s9 mixer.. similar to a pioneer dm-tour1. hardware are already starting to have touch screens on them.. we're already headed that way. numark, pioneer have touch screen hardware.
serato having a touch interface view or touch friendly interface isn't asking for much.. it would be easier than implementing any feature.
software like virtualdj allows users to create their own skins and there are plenty of options...
touch is about work flow. even for you mac guys it could allow you to hook up a another [cloned] small or touch screen monitor to the side of your set up for requests...
Cwite 5:01 PM - 6 June, 2017
I agree with VP

I have been rockin a touch screen laptop for 3 years with Serato. Some updates work better than others. Some versions cause a screen freeze when you drag and drop, some causes issues with drop down menus. The latest version is better than most of the recent ones. But it still glitches. Even if they don't add specific features, they should at least eliminate the bugs. I have said this before but was told I'm not in the majority. That's absolutely right, I'm thinking ahead!

I regularly open the sampler and sync samples by touch, to a playing track. It's so quick and easy with the screen, and there are no shortcut keys to do this. But, things such as rapid scrolling a play list by touch really should be there by now. Why not swipe left or right to load a deck. Or hold a track to see the artwork, or even just to be able to scroll the text left or right in a play list or on the loaded deck to see the remix name that is just out of the text box. Using the slide bar seems very restricted when I already have the technology in place to make things easy.

I use the touch screen almost exclusively in the off line player. So yeah, more touch screen stuff please!

You want an idea of what is possible, just look at the new Denon 5000. That is ticking all the boxes in this department :-)
VP 6:45 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
I agree with VP

I have been rockin a touch screen laptop for 3 years with Serato. Some updates work better than others. Some versions cause a screen freeze when you drag and drop, some causes issues with drop down menus. The latest version is better than most of the recent ones. But it still glitches. Even if they don't add specific features, they should at least eliminate the bugs. I have said this before but was told I'm not in the majority. That's absolutely right, I'm thinking ahead!

I regularly open the sampler and sync samples by touch, to a playing track. It's so quick and easy with the screen, and there are no shortcut keys to do this. But, things such as rapid scrolling a play list by touch really should be there by now. Why not swipe left or right to load a deck. Or hold a track to see the artwork, or even just to be able to scroll the text left or right in a play list or on the loaded deck to see the remix name that is just out of the text box. Using the slide bar seems very restricted when I already have the technology in place to make things easy.

I use the touch screen almost exclusively in the off line player. So yeah, more touch screen stuff please!

You want an idea of what is possible, just look at the new Denon 5000. That is ticking all the boxes in this department :-)
what does your set up look like? what computer are you using? what mixer or controller?
i use a 13" touch screen on windows 7 64-bit and i7 quad core processor 32gb memory, ssd etc... i'm not experiencing any real bugs. i do experience some buzzing issues with the s9 but they've greatly reduced with this latest version. i'm old with scratch live but somewhat new to sdj.
i upgraded when i got the s9 mixer. beginning of this year...

with updates it's all about pointing them out and backing by other users.

all we're asking for is for seratodj to be more touch screen friendly. that's not asking for much. anything that way.. we're not asking to overhaul the interface or make a new skin or view just yet. all we're asking is use up a lot of the wasted space and make buttons larger..
Cwite 9:21 AM - 8 June, 2017
I just checked my own "more touch screen stuff" thread, and it was 27 April 2015. Things aren't moving as fast as I'd hoped lol

I'm using a Sony Vaio 10 point touch 17". 16gb i5 64bit blar, blar, blar with an SZ controller and a Neon.

For the most part. It is rock solid.

Each update brings slightly different responses from the touch screen. 1.9.6 is actually quite good. Every now and then the screen will freeze if I drag and drop a track to a deck, but a quick swish on the touch pad clears it, and the audio and controls never stop so it's something and nothing. But it shouldn't be there.

Even on this website, when using it on my laptop, the community drop down box won't select by touch, it has to be done by the mouse cursor lol

When I've tackled the team about the software before, they just say that they don't support touch screen, it's just a bonus that somethings work, which is insane! One version (1.8.1 I think) was really bad. I stopped using the screen totally for a while.

Most people are used to interfacing with a touch screen phone or tablet, surely it's better to be ahead of the game on this?

So yeah, I totally support this.
Laz219 5:41 AM - 9 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

laptops and computers are getting more powerful and touch based. where are you getting that the surface isn't recommended and why would it not be recommended?

Straight from Serato themselves.
support.serato.com
deejdave 2:59 AM - 12 June, 2017
Touchscreen is very much a part of the future but as mentioned Microsofts big touch screen line is cut off at the feet and with the new touch-bar for Mac it is pretty clear we won't be seeing any touchscreen MBP's anytime soon (Thank the lord) and without that this won't gain much traction for obvious reasons............. In other words I wouldn't hold my breath on this one and if we are being honest there will be no real loss as a result of this. Financially or functionally. It is funny seeing so many doing all they can to remove the laptop from the equation entirely and here are some trying to integrate them even further. BOTH being the future depending on who you ask :)
deejdave 3:01 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Straight from Serato themselves.
support.serato.com

BTW I love when it's that easy.
VP 8:59 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Touchscreen is very much a part of the future but as mentioned Microsofts big touch screen line is cut off at the feet and with the new touch-bar for Mac it is pretty clear we won't be seeing any touchscreen MBP's anytime soon (Thank the lord) and without that this won't gain much traction for obvious reasons............. In other words I wouldn't hold my breath on this one and if we are being honest there will be no real loss as a result of this. Financially or functionally. It is funny seeing so many doing all they can to remove the laptop from the equation entirely and here are some trying to integrate them even further. BOTH being the future depending on who you ask :)

NEWSFLASH! SERATO IS A IS A COMPUTER BASED SYSTEM! it'd help serato to move with computer hardware technology. SERATO has NOTHING to gain with "laptops" being taken out of the equation.

the pc monitor industry and operating systems has been moving very slow to touch display but it's here now. there are studio mixer systems that are touch screen based.

serato is a multi platform software with just as many if not more windows users.
hardware like multi thread cpu have far surpassed software. most software is just designed for single or duo processors. would be nice for these "professional" programs to catch up to the times...
VP 9:01 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
I just checked my own "more touch screen stuff" thread, and it was 27 April 2015. Things aren't moving as fast as I'd hoped lol

I'm using a Sony Vaio 10 point touch 17". 16gb i5 64bit blar, blar, blar with an SZ controller and a Neon.

For the most part. It is rock solid.

Each update brings slightly different responses from the touch screen. 1.9.6 is actually quite good. Every now and then the screen will freeze if I drag and drop a track to a deck, but a quick swish on the touch pad clears it, and the audio and controls never stop so it's something and nothing. But it shouldn't be there.

Even on this website, when using it on my laptop, the community drop down box won't select by touch, it has to be done by the mouse cursor lol

When I've tackled the team about the software before, they just say that they don't support touch screen, it's just a bonus that somethings work, which is insane! One version (1.8.1 I think) was really bad. I stopped using the screen totally for a while.

Most people are used to interfacing with a touch screen phone or tablet, surely it's better to be ahead of the game on this?

So yeah, I totally support this.

i googled and see you have been on this for a while. poor you lol. it takes support from other users. so we have to be nice to them to have them join our fight lolol.
deejdave 2:50 AM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
NEWSFLASH! SERATO IS A IS A COMPUTER BASED SYSTEM! it'd help serato to move with computer hardware technology. SERATO has NOTHING to gain with "laptops" being taken out of the equation.

NEWSFLASH I never said I agreed with the concept of removing the laptop the point was there are two sides to this and both sides think THEY ^^^^^ (as in other know-it-all's) ^^^^^ are both the majority and the ones who are right aka "the future" of DJing. I would give you a pointer as to why these threads do not get any traction but I suspect you may deep down already know why.

NOW Serato being a SOFTWARE based developer (not a computer based one as we are aware of Remote & Pyro correct?) would absolutely 100% have something to gain by utilizing laptop-less systems as there can be software integrated into the hardware itself just as much as it is the iOS devices and computers they currently develop for correct? Need I remind you of a little thing called Rekordbox which is software (for MacOS & Windows) based as well as hardware and some may consider Pioneer DJ to be a slight success.

I do not claim to know which way the industry will be heading but there is room for all and it would be wise of any/all SW developer or HW manufacturer's to be ready for it all. Luckily for us Serato has already stepped beyond the boundaries you originally thought they were confined to.

I won't address the rest of your statement as this may be enough to process on its own but suffice to say it is not any more accurate than the first part.
VP 9:57 PM - 16 June, 2017
deejdave 4:09 AM - 17 June, 2017
What is that supposed to be? They are even further into iOS than Serato. They have VERY poorly developed Windows version of a very successful Mac DJ app.
VP 4:12 PM - 19 June, 2017
Quote:
What is that supposed to be? They are even further into iOS than Serato. They have VERY poorly developed Windows version of a very successful Mac DJ app.

i'm just putting out there where touch apps are.
as for their stability and quality... all programs have their up and down versions.. serato included. no program is perfect out the gate or with upgrades.
VP 4:54 AM - 23 August, 2017
smartphone like scrolling for touch screen monitors.
acemc 12:06 AM - 11 September, 2019
I have to +100 this thread in support of jacking up the touch screen support in SDJ. I recently got a really nice 13" i5 laptop with a touch screen (it's kinda like a tablet & laptop in one). I decided to make this my back-up laptop in case something happens to my mac. Being a mac user for the past 7/8 years now, I was really surprised at how well Serato worked with it. But when I tried to utilise the touch screen, it was disappointing. No audio issues or even screen freezes, it was just the basic stuff that I couldn't get to work. Scrolling through my crates, doing a search or loading a track just wouldn't work properly using the touch screen!! I honestly don't think that it would be a big task for Serato to just fix the basics. There really is no excuse to have such a poor touch screen implementation. Honestly, this would only benefit the software. Please Serato, make a small effort & just fix the basics.
Teeo 12:09 PM - 11 September, 2019
A +100 from me to. Using a 24" touch screen
NoCo 7:40 PM - 9 October, 2019
Yes pls - a touchscreen display mode, for use with my convertible touchscreen laptop.

Really, the most important part would be scrollbars and scroll buttons 3-4x wider and higher than the current ones.
Teeo 10:41 AM - 10 October, 2019
Another important feature for me, is when the search field is focused, then the touchscreen keyboard should appear.
DAVIES 1:15 AM - 13 October, 2019
I'd like to add my support for Serato to operate with touch enabled devices. I'm running a Surface Pro 6 which generally works 'ok' but as others have noted I still need to use a mouse which always feels a bit wrong.
NoCo 4:18 PM - 13 July, 2022
Reviving this suggestion based on the brand new crop of 12th gen Intel machines which are becoming increasingly Surface-like.

Using my convertible laptop's touchscreen is often an exercise in needless frustration. There's no reason for Serato DJ to inflexibly stick to the same keyboard+mouse interface that was first implemented 20+ years ago.

Moreover, with the advent of M1 iPads, it's likely only a matter of time before the demand for a touchscreen option turns it into a vital necessity.