DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Critique my wedding website.

The Silver Boombox Thief 4:58 PM - 9 May, 2017
I've hit the wedding circuit pretty hard here in the Tahoe foothills over the last 2 years. This is an open invitation to critique my site, let me know what's good and where I should improve.

Here's the link: www.shesaidyesdj.com

Thanks!
CMOS 9:28 PM - 9 May, 2017
My only suggestion would be to get rid of the WIX banner at the bottom and top of the pages by upgrading your plan.

Also that main graphic is a little bit weak. The purple line drawing of a house or whatever it is, pay someone on fiverr.com to spruce that up for you.

Other than that not too shabby.
The Silver Boombox Thief 10:56 PM - 9 May, 2017
Totally agree.

Upgraded and Wix is gone.

Removed the purple house thing too. I've never liked it but never made the effort to remove it.

Thanks for the critique.
577er 3:44 PM - 10 May, 2017
I would get rid of the landing page, change the black background to white and have available on the first page (for people on their phones to easily scroll to) a quick pitch, rough rates and contact info.
english.bob 1:48 PM - 11 May, 2017
What's up Matt? Firstly I like the site, I've been doing a similar thing in the uk for 10 years or so. Always on turntables but tailored to the event. I don't have an alter ego though. Your old site was good also.

I saw this line in your copy. I wasn't sure it made sense. (Although I am a limey)

"I can create a couple great playlists that matches their style. Overall, there are no surprises."

It just threw me a little

No offence.

Marcus.
The Silver Boombox Thief 6:49 PM - 11 May, 2017
Hi Marcus,

I don't know what limey means, but sounds like the question is regarding playlist and surprises. My clients understand "playlist" a little more than saying I create "crates". I build them based on the atmosphere we're going for, be it 90's R&B or who knows what.

It's is straight playlists via an iPad for pre ceremony, cocktail and dinner, but I need to take some freedom during the party portion. I'm pretty specific when meeting clients about this. I did a gig 2 years ago where the couple said, "here's our list. Only play these songs". Last time I'll ever do that again. Terrible time for their guests and me. It couldn't end quick enough.

Maybe 1 out of 8 weddings I'll use turntables when it's more of a party crowd. I need to look at efficiency for the other gigs.

Thanks for the comments.
Rebelguy 8:57 PM - 11 May, 2017
Quote:
"I can create a couple great playlists that matches their style. Overall, there are no surprises.".

I think Marcus meant that copy itself was written a little weird.

Maybe "When planning a wedding, I work closely with the couple to create playlists that match the exact musical atmosphere they are expecting."
The Silver Boombox Thief 9:38 PM - 11 May, 2017
that makes way more sense. Thanks for the more gooder words...
Dj Rehab 10:37 PM - 11 May, 2017
This is my wedding site. I switched it from a club style and my biz really took off. I have 47 weddings in 2017 and 12 already booked in 2018.

Of course having it SEO'ed helps as I rank in the top 10 in every Charleston DJ search term ......

djrehab.net

that wedding money is addictive. I paid off 2 cars early with it, and I've bought every piece of gear I could dream of
DJ Reflex 12:29 AM - 12 May, 2017
Well, both sites are way better than mine! LoL Good job - very clean and professional.
The Silver Boombox Thief 6:56 PM - 15 May, 2017
Dang, Rehab just made everyone look like interns in the wedding game.
The Silver Boombox Thief 5:55 PM - 22 May, 2017
Just upped my game. Same layout, but adjusted fonts, sizing, color and copy.
Marcus Speaker-Box 2:01 PM - 25 May, 2017
Yes I meant the text by the copy, all looks good now though.

Oh, and Limey is slang for British Person.
Dj Rehab 2:47 PM - 26 May, 2017
Looks great now
577er 3:50 PM - 26 May, 2017
Sight looks great. I like the text:

20 Years a DJ
10 Years of Weddings
Easy to Work With
Professional

On my phone that reads very well and should probably be more prominent on the first page? That's a great start to get people to go further. I would also change the second photo on the main page as it's similar to the top photo and has musicians (not you!) featured in it with their cables very much in sight.

In my experience people either want a "rock star" dj or they want a "wall paper" dj. You can't really appeal to both. So your second photo should be of you at a fun club party not just another ceremony, otherwise your "saying" the same thing twice with similar images.