Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Looking to buy a mixer......Rane?

akaTRAP 5:49 PM - 2 May, 2017
So by the end of the summer, I hope to have enough to upgrade (again) and want to finally dive into a DVS setup, ditching my MCX8000. I really want a mixer with two USB ports, so that only leaves the 900NXS2 (too expensive and not natively supported), the DJM-S9 (overrated IMO) and Rane mixers.

My question to you guys is would you still buy a Rane mixer today? Why or why not?
Laz219 11:11 PM - 2 May, 2017
Hmm,

That is a good question, I still love their mixers- but one of the reasons everyone loved Rane as a company was because their support was so good.
If you found new stock I think as much as you'd still have warranty, it wouldn't be too easy to actually get Inmusic to do much with it, especially as they've closed down the HQ in America.

On the other hand, I don't know what else I'd buy. Ever since I got my first Rane I haven't looked back- if I needed to buy something new I'd have a hard time looking at other brands.
DeeJay Zero 12:05 AM - 3 May, 2017
I have a Rane Sixty Two at my home club and I love it. Serato features work seamlessly, sound quality is great, 2 USB inputs for easy hot-swapping, and DVS functionality built in. and it ships with a pair of timecode vinyls and CD's.
DJ Sharp since1993 1:10 AM - 3 May, 2017
The DJM S9 is a solid mixer. I love the fact that you can change the feel in the crossfader. It has 2 USB ports, 8 performance pads on both channels, FX etc....I Love it! If you haven't done so you should test it out.
akaTRAP 1:20 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
Hmm,

That is a good question, I still love their mixers- but one of the reasons everyone loved Rane as a company was because their support was so good.
If you found new stock I think as much as you'd still have warranty, it wouldn't be too easy to actually get Inmusic to do much with it, especially as they've closed down the HQ in America.

On the other hand, I don't know what else I'd buy. Ever since I got my first Rane I haven't looked back- if I needed to buy something new I'd have a hard time looking at other brands.

Yeah that's the one thing I'm worried about. There's no way I'd spend almost $2,000 on something that's no longer supported, but I have yet to hear about a Rane mixer failing. Those fader stems on the S9, though........
Laz219 1:23 AM - 3 May, 2017
I've had the same Empath for about 5 years now...and I bought it used. Still like new.
I'd never worry about reliability with a Rane, but just have to factor in that it will be quite hard at the moment to get any help if something did happen.

I haven't seen much about the S9 stems, although I did see Skratch Bastid post a picture a week or so ago of a snapped S9 CF.
akaTRAP 1:47 AM - 3 May, 2017
My friend did the same thing a few months ago, and it was a fairly common issue when they were first released. Also, I don't like anything that incorporates a lot of plastic, especially at that price range.
DJ Tecniq 2:57 AM - 3 May, 2017
Granted all of the stem issues have been fixed on the S9. I have the S9 with a manufacture date of April 2016 and I swear the fader stem is def on their tight I don't see how others are breaking them off. I'm not heavy handed though. If you weigh over 300 pounds you'll prob knock off a few fader stems. Some DJ's are heavy on their scratching but the S9 had such a sharp cut it doesn't take much force.
akaTRAP 3:25 AM - 3 May, 2017
How's your S9 holding up? I'm weary of Pioneer equipment because I switched from the DDJ-RX to the MCX8000, and the Denon sounds much better IMO (more punchy, v-shaped fun sound) than the RX so I'm weary of going back to Pioneer equipment. I also am not fond of anything that's made with a lot of plastic. AND the paint wearing off early.

Long story short, I'm weary of the S9.
DJ Tecniq 3:51 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
How's your S9 holding up? I'm weary of Pioneer equipment because I switched from the DDJ-RX to the MCX8000, and the Denon sounds much better IMO (more punchy, v-shaped fun sound) than the RX so I'm weary of going back to Pioneer equipment. I also am not fond of anything that's made with a lot of plastic. AND the paint wearing off early.

Really can't complain except for the fact my first S9 was indeed defective. Bad booth out & left master xlr was louder than the other and for some odd reason had buzzing/ground issues with the booth output. Even out of my 30 day return policy agiprodj honored the defect and contacted Pioneer immediately and I got a new mixer shipped to me at no extra cost. The replacement has been the keeper. Only negative I will say is the paint does chip it is a Pioneer all of their products paint fades even my old DJM 700 after a year faded. I only paid $1400 with elite pricing w/agiprodj I got a great deal and slapped a 12inchskin over it. The 62 has nothing on the S9 the toggle switches and bigger pads plus the user mode and you can change all sorts of fx in the Pioneer utility. Hands down it is the best battle mixer out now. Can't tell you how many ads I've seen of DJ's selling their Rane mixers to get the S9.
akaTRAP 3:55 AM - 3 May, 2017
A buddy of mine ditched his 62 for an S9. I only know ONE DJ that still uses a 62. Ask me that question two years ago and I would have told you all but two use a 62, and one of them used a 68. Crazy how that flipped on Rane so hard. I'm seriously considering making the jump from my MCX8000 (which I love) to a DVS setup because I love the feel of vinyl so much.

And no, the NS7II/III is not an option. I HATE HATE HATE the play/pause buttons, the channel faders, and how loops are triggered via the pads.
Laz219 3:58 AM - 3 May, 2017
The S9 is the first Pioneer mixer I've ever looked at and seriously considered. I'd be tempted to hire one for a week and have a play to see what I think.
I've never known exactly what it is, but something has always just felt wrong about the 'feel' of pioneer mixers.

I had a DJM800 for about a month while I was getting a mixer repaired (didn't even need it but the shop offered me a free hire for the time so I figured why not) and while I did have fun playing with it, I never really liked it.
akaTRAP 4:56 AM - 3 May, 2017
The RX made me not like Pioneer equipment. There wasn't anything wrong with IT so much as there were issues with Rekordbox DJ, but I can't help but feel the S9 is overhyped. It basically has no competition right now.
Laz219 5:01 AM - 3 May, 2017
I used the RX one night with my laptop- 3 times during the night when I was touching nothing, the song stopped and went back to the start for no reason.
Not the best first impressions of it.
akaTRAP 6:03 AM - 3 May, 2017
I had several issues with mine, almost exclusively software-related. For one, Rekordbox got to a point where it wouldn't recognize it if it was on when you plugged it in. I had to plug it in, turn it on, restart Rekordbox, THEN go into Performance Mode for it to work. It also reset ALL the colors for my cue points. All THOUSAND of them. No thanks.
DJ Tecniq 6:18 AM - 3 May, 2017
You won't think the S9 is all hype until you actually use it trust me it is "that" good and I'm still learning new things about it.
DJ Tecniq 6:20 AM - 3 May, 2017
Rekordbox is terrible I had the ddjrb and hated Rekordbox got the ddjsb2 and stuck with Serato. RB and Rekordbox software latency was dreadful.
dj Krazey leo 10:38 AM - 3 May, 2017
S9 is a beast.
DJ Tecniq 10:55 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
S9 is a beast.
considering almost every DJ has used it in the 3style battles yes indeed👍🏼
Chino 1:28 PM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
A buddy of mine ditched his 62 for an S9. I only know ONE DJ that still uses a 62. Ask me that question two years ago and I would have told you all but two use a 62, and one of them used a 68. Crazy how that flipped on Rane so hard. I'm seriously considering making the jump from my MCX8000 (which I love) to a DVS setup because I love the feel of vinyl so much.

And no, the NS7II/III is not an option. I HATE HATE HATE the play/pause buttons, the channel faders, and how loops are triggered via the pads.

I own a Rane 62. I love the flexibility in that I can use it with SSL and/or SDJ. I have considered buying an S9 too but Rane mixers just feel right to me. Rane's build quality and customer service is top notch but now that may change since they were purchased by inMusic Brand. You can always wait until NAMM 2018 to see if inMusic releases a new Rane mixer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:42 AM - 4 May, 2017
I've got both mixers.

62 is retired to home use, the S9 is the workhorse now.

It's a great mixer and fun to use. Sounds good too.
DJ Tecniq 1:45 AM - 4 May, 2017
I love how you can change the filter on the S9 from normal to wide. This way you can blend/drop tracks using just the filter as the wide option completely kills the low pass. I'm sure the 62 can do the same I just haven't really tried the 62. Dope shit!
DJ Barticus 3:41 AM - 4 May, 2017
Quote:
I love how you can change the filter on the S9 from normal to wide. This way you can blend/drop tracks using just the filter as the wide option completely kills the low pass. I'm sure the 62 can do the same I just haven't really tried the 62. Dope shit!

please explain the wide filter some more. is it like a wide Q where only the selected frequency and a wide band around it passes?
DJ Tecniq 5:31 AM - 4 May, 2017
@ 4:50 he talks about the filter. The original filter setting doesn't fully cut the sound when you turn it all the way left for low pass fx. However "Wide filter" can completely kill the entire song. So say you want just silence on the other channel. Well when you cut the filter all the way left boom you have immediate silence if you choose the wide filter setting. Which gives you a lot of options to play with. I'll try and find a video where a DJ uses wide filter.
youtu.be
DJ Tecniq 5:32 AM - 4 May, 2017
^ for now that's just a demo of some of the fx which can be applied to the filter.
DJ Tecniq 5:40 AM - 4 May, 2017
Example: at the very beginning of the video he uses the wide filter. youtu.be
akaTRAP 6:15 AM - 4 May, 2017
I'm actually not going to upgrade unless I sell myself on a two-channel mixer. My residency DJ booth is, at max, 4ft and some change. My MCX8000 barely fits, and that inside the hardcase is 32 inches long.

With the Mixars LTA being about 28 inches, that only leaves about 5 inches left before I start running out of room in the booth.
DJ Tecniq 6:27 AM - 4 May, 2017
I have a small controller for my small gigs but my tables and mixer stay at home on occasion I use them for big gigs.
Jvine 3:26 PM - 4 May, 2017
Quote:
I'm weary of going back to Pioneer equipment. I also am not fond of anything that's made with a lot of plastic. AND the paint wearing off early.

All of this, especially after owning the 909 and playing on multiple 700s and 800s. I just don't like Pioneer. All of their products feel so cheap and like they are not built to last when you compare them with Rane(RIP) products. Don't get me started on the paint. I'm still not sold on SDJ either, so I would recommend a 62 as well.

I owned a 61 and didn't like the cueing system though. So, I sold that, and I'm back to a redline 57 with dicers for the road. I have a (14 year old still working perfect)56, a 56s and an SL3 with dicers for home. If the 57 mk II had SSL compatibility like the 61/62 it would have been my mixer of choice. I would probably still strongly consider it over a 909 if I was on SDJ instead of SSL.
DJ Tecniq 4:12 PM - 4 May, 2017
Quote:

All of this, especially after owning the 909 and playing on multiple 700s and 800s. I just don't like Pioneer. All of their products feel so cheap and like they are not built to last when you compare them with Rane(RIP) products. Don't get me started on the paint. I'm still not sold on SDJ either, so I would recommend a 62 as well.
I would have to agree with this. Yes Pioneer products aren't being made like they used to the quality control is terrible and they are no longer made in Japan now. I have seen defects with S9, SR, SX etc. it is mind blowing how many reports I've read. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it and pretend Pioneer is the greatest. Tons of lemons out there the key is finding a good one. I think it's the end for Rane mixers so I chose the next best thing. Even though I'm a fan of Pioneer I'm not going to be biased as their products have manufacturing flaws. Just being honest. The proof was when I received my first S9 and it was defective. It is no conspiracy. Pioneer is not what they used to be.
akaTRAP 8:24 PM - 5 May, 2017
Quote:
I have a small controller for my small gigs but my tables and mixer stay at home on occasion I use them for big gigs.

I already own the upper echelon when it comes to controllers. The only other options are the NS7II/III (again, hate some of the buttons and channel faders) and the DDJ-SZ2, which is way too damn big and completely eats up my residency DJ booth.......and it's pretty damn heavy.
DJ dVO 9:50 PM - 5 May, 2017
I am in the same boat. I am looking for a quality, native, DVS enabled mixer. I really like the performance pads on the S9 cuz it's something I use a lot. My other choice is a Sixty-Two but I am not sure it's wise to get one now as something, I think, is in the making from Rane.

Pretty much I am waiting out to see what Rane/InMusic will release as the next mixer. If it's good, I'd grab if not then it's Rane Sixty-Two for me.

I do a lot of mobile so I still need a controller. Thankfully, my Vestax VCI-380 is still rocking. I am looking at a replacement soon too.
Ragman 10:28 PM - 5 May, 2017
Quote:
[...]

I have the NS7III and although I love that controller, that is a huge negative about it. I wish it had separate looping section like Pio.
Ragman 10:32 PM - 5 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I already own the upper echelon when it comes to controllers. The only other options are the NS7II/III (again, hate some of the buttons and channel faders) and the DDJ-SZ2, which is way too damn big and completely eats up my residency DJ booth.......and it's pretty damn heavy.

Ok this is confusing. If you purchase a DVS mixer, the decks or tables you use with it will make it heavier than the SZ. Please explain.
DJ Tecniq 1:27 AM - 6 May, 2017
Quote:
Ok this is confusing. If you purchase a DVS mixer, the decks or tables you use with it will make it heavier than the SZ. Please explain.
Disagree the SZ is a one piece unit and it is quite heavy. With turntables you can have them in cases and just put the mixer in the middle or stack the cases. I would find it much harder to carry the SZ around of course you can put it in a flight case but that fucker will be big.
Ragman 5:06 AM - 6 May, 2017
I have the SZ2 and I have an S9 with 2 SC3900s. The S9/SC3900 combo is heavier and bulkier than the SZ2. Not counting the additional wire hookups with DVS.

The combined weight of 2 Turntables and a S9 = Roughly 56 lbs
The combined weight of 2 SC3900s and a S9 = 34 lbs
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----
The weight of the DDJ-SZ2 = 23 lbs (equivalent to just one turntable)

So your guesstimation is off.
akaTRAP 6:45 PM - 6 May, 2017
Quote:
I have the SZ2 and I have an S9 with 2 SC3900s. The S9/SC3900 combo is heavier and bulkier than the SZ2. Not counting the additional wire hookups with DVS.

The combined weight of 2 Turntables and a S9 = Roughly 56 lbs
The combined weight of 2 SC3900s and a S9 = 34 lbs
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----
The weight of the DDJ-SZ2 = 23 lbs (equivalent to just one turntable)

So your guesstimation is off.

You're forgetting about a hard case. Even with the hard case for all of that equipment, an SZ2 would still, with a hard case, weigh as much, if not a few pounds lighter, than all of that equipment. AND it would completely eat up my tiny DJ booth. Don't get me started on the DDJ-RZX. That damn thing is over 70 pounds with a hard case, depending on which one you get. The one from Pioneer, if I remember correctly, brings the combined weight to 75 pounds. My MCX8000 with the hard case is only 40 pounds.
Ragman 2:52 PM - 7 May, 2017
Actually I have hard cases for both my SZ2 and my DVS setup and the case for the decks plus S9 weighs a little more than my SZ2 case. I'm telling you from experience the DVS solution is a heavier option with or without cases. And if you're gonna use turntables the weight is ridiculous. Yes you probably can't use the SZ2 because of the bulk but a DVS solution is even bulkier. I'm surprised I even have to tell y'all this, It should be pretty obvious.
Ragman 2:56 PM - 7 May, 2017
Correction:
Actually I have hard cases for both my SZ2 and my DVS setup and the case for the decks plus S9 weighs a little more than my SZ2 + case. I'm telling you from experience the DVS solution is a heavier option with or without cases. And if you're gonna use turntables the weight is ridiculous. Yes you probably can't use the SZ2 because of the bulk but a DVS solution is even bulkier. I'm surprised I even have to tell y'all this, It should be pretty obvious.
Ragman 3:24 PM - 7 May, 2017
Okay I just weighed S9 & SC3900s in the case and it came in at 74 lbs. I also weighed my SZ2 in the case and it weighs 58 lbs. I use Magma cases and the DVS case weighs 40 lbs. My SZ2 Magma case weighs 35 lbs.

If you use turntables with that S9, the Magma case for that weighs 45 lbs bring the total weight of case plus equipment to 101 lbs.

Let's recap:

Weight of equipment without cases
2 Turntables and a S9 = 56 lbs
2 SC3900s and a S9 = 34 lbs
DDJ-SZ2 = 23 lbs

Weight of cases:
Case for T/T's plus S9 = 45 lbs
Case for SC3900 plus S9 = 40 lbs
Case for SZ2 = 35 lbs

Weight with cases:
2 Turntables and a S9 = 101 lbs
2 SC3900s and a S9 = 74 lbs
DDJ-SZ2 = 58 lbs

So again going back to my original question. Why are you switching to a DVS solution which is way bulkier and extremely heavier than an SZ2 solution when you have limited space in that booth?
teemac111 4:16 PM - 7 May, 2017
Quote:

Yeah that's the one thing I'm worried about. There's no way I'd spend almost $2,000 on something that's no longer supported, but I have yet to hear about a Rane mixer failing. Those fader stems on the S9, though........

The S9 fader stems are probably stronger than the ones on your MC8000 tho
Prestoe 1:57 PM - 9 May, 2017
I got Rane TTM57 Mk2 and Pioneer S9.. both lovely mixers..

The S9 has a lovely feel all round, great workflow, those faders too.. :-)

However.. The Rane feels much more solid (material wise) and does sound noticeably better, in fact the clarity and warmth of the 57 mk2 sound is fkn amazing on my setup.
skampy 3:12 PM - 9 May, 2017
Shame you don't see the 57mkII that often in action. I think it has a very appealing and intuitive layout.
IAMDJDK 6:40 PM - 13 July, 2017
S9 is dope but the 62 has a better build quality.