DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

how to DJ with ddj-sr controller 4 channells with 2 decks??

MC Apollo 3:18 PM - 29 April, 2017
I was thinking a lot about this topic today. I was wondering how you guys do it?
_To be pecific, i would like to use 2 channells live simultaniusly:
1)- so for example: playina song in deck 1 (left side) and playing a song in deck 2 right side) simultaniusly would be easier since you would not need to remember the settings of controllers(knobs) that it is hidden under deck 3).
so lets think this through: you play song in deck 1 and start free stying with some other song in deck 2 while you play them together.. ok so far so good. But then how do you transition to another song?
Les say you choose deck 3 on the left side) and deck 4 on the right side , load two diffrent songs on this deck: make some nice camelot wheel based configured loops. with one loop shorter and one loop bigger..
ok so now we have a song playing n 1. and 2. deck and we woul like to transition to the song in deck 3. and 4. how do we do that?
we could lower the fadders of the 1 and 2 deck
( so first we need to select 1. and 2. deck lower the faders on the 1. and 2. deck. )
then choose 3. and . deck to control those faders and bring that song up a bit) so this is one way to do it. )
what do you think about this technich? p.s. for any other smal change of the knob in one deck to transition to another deck y simultaniusly adjusting the other knob of a 3 deck would make this transition really long. since we would have to repeat that changing decks process for every little detail of transition.

2.) let say we play a song in deck 1 (left deck) and then add a song in deck 3 (left deck)
Controlling the mix in this way would be then even crazier to just mix two songs on decks 1 and 3 deck both on left side on left decks would not be a good idea.. since you loose all the capabilities that deck 1 and deck 2 gave you: like for example mash with pads on both decks at the same time and the transition to deck 2 and deck 4 would become even crazier unless you use the crossfder. but still what you loose in controlling them in comparison to mixing them in deck 1 and deck 2 its a big lose.
The only thing which i find good here is that you could use the crossfader to go from left to right and you could do a transition using the cue points by suddenly ending a song on deck 1 and playing a song on deck 2, but still you can only choose one chanell(right deck (2) and 4)) to start a song, and you can only choose one channell to end a song (left deck (1 and 3))

3.) we could also try this possibility:
putting a song into deck 1 left deck and adding a song into deck 4 right deck.
Doing it like this you dont loose the two channe mixing freestyle, all the pads are available and loop s too.
Now lets look at transition:
so we would then choose channell 3 on left deck put a song there ,and channell 2 on right deck and put a song there!
but how woul we transition? using the crossfadder would not work.
we would lower the volume or do what ever with any other knob on deck 1 (left side)and deck 4 (right side) .

i Would really like to know:
Is there a fourth possible way you guys do it?
Which one is the simplest and where you don't need to remember a lot of settings!
(since serato doesn't have the screen to see all your high,low,an d mid knobs on display)???

It would be really useful to understand how and why was the DDj-sr produced? what was the logic in it to use 4 channells in the way they made it! Since i haven't found any good ways to actually use 4 channell on it. Bc it just messes up with your mind memory or just messes up the whole gig by letting out sounds when you don't wish to hear them!!!

Please tell me if there is a setting in serato that enables you to use ddj-sr with four channells so you would be actually able to use all the functions in seato by using two channells live and then switching to other to channellsr live with all possible transitions that exist in dj industry? Bc other then that the price for DDJ-Sr serato should be the same as for
any other two channel controller!

Lets say use option nuber 3) from above:
put a song in deck 1) and put a song in deck 4 in deck 2.. mix a bit.. and the transition with the crossafder into songs on deck 3 left side and deck 2 right side.
thi option in serato mentioned above is not possible?

It would work if you could assign channells from which the crossfader actualy travels from and too.
now as i know about there is only from left deck to right deck. (left deck 1 and 3 channel and right deck 2 and 4 channel)
Is there a way to change that so crossfader travels from 1 and 4 channell into 2 and 3 channell
or maybe 1 ad 2 channell to 2 and 4 channell?

this would solve a part of the problem:
there is still an issue if you suddennly end a song in first two chanells and stat the song other two channells at the same time: or just using the pads.
I uess this could be solved by using the midi channells to assign some pads to work simultanuisly on both channells. Or not???
For example is it possible to make pad1 on channell 1 deck 1) start a song in deck 3 too if you press the pad only in deck 1 , by using new midi configurations of the controller and similar stuff for knobs(hig,mid,low)?

ty