Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is 1.9.6 finally the replacement for SSL?

ParisCreative 9:54 PM - 27 April, 2017
I have used SDJ for many revisions now, but delegated it to home use because I had some odd random issues during my wedding sets. For that I decided to setup a Mountain Lion + SSL setup.

But I am seeing far fewer complaints about 1.9.6. Has Serato finally hit paydirt on stability? Sure it's much harder to achieve because of all the controllers out there now, and I still do a Rane 62 + Decks setup so more lightweight than other setups.

What say you all?
spofftastic 5:25 PM - 29 April, 2017
I have been on 1.9.1 for the last year for gigs (on yosemite) and have been playing with 1.9.6 at home with Akai AMX and DDJ SX2. Has been stable and fine, not sure when I will make the jump but it may be soon. Lots of differences with these 2 builds and would love to unlock much of 1.9.6
Andrei Matei 1:06 AM - 30 April, 2017
Short answer: no.

Long answer: Still no. Effects still distorted. SQ still not to par with SSL. Waveforms still jerky. Stability still problematic.

Hopefully 2.0 will resolve these issues. Probably won't. They are focused on other things.

Your Mountain Lion / SSL combo is ideal and recommended. It's what I run as well; its flawless. Stick with that.
ParisCreative 4:10 AM - 30 April, 2017
The problem with sticking to ML/SSL is I also use MS OneNote to sync my event notes on the day of, and on the fly changes at the event. I can no longer install OneNote on ML.

I bit the bullet. I have Sierra now and I have both SSL and SDJ. I gave SDJ a go tonight and it performed flawlessly. I don't use Serato effects (I use my Rane 62). Waveforms were on par with SSL. Ran 8 hours straight today no issues. It's running on a pretty bare bones machine too.
CMOS 7:22 PM - 30 April, 2017
Ive been on SDJ for the past 3 weeks as i bought a Pioneer S9. So far so good, havent had any issues other than a few screen momentary screen freezes when i move around too fast in the library.

Waveforms are moving just fine for me. Running on a macbook air with yosemite with pitch n time enabled.

Cant really go back unless i hookup my sl3, plus anywhere i go i can just use the club kit if i cant bring the S9 as most places have a 900 somewhere.
DJ Tecniq 9:33 PM - 30 April, 2017
Quote:
i bought a Pioneer S9. So far so good, havent had any issues other than a few screen momentary screen freezes when i move around too fast in the library
Join the club same here except I get most screen freezes from opening tabs like Prepare, history, etc same thing happens with my SB2 I have boiled it down to SDJ it's just not as smooth as SSL is and sadly I don't think it ever will. The screen freezes concern me cause I'm worried the whole program will freeze eventually but I always have real vinyl as a backup in case I need to restart...shit out of luck with the SB2 though if that ever happens. Oh yeah and echo-out fx in SDJ still aren't fixed shots been broke since the beginning #izotopefail #fixit
DJ Tecniq 9:34 PM - 30 April, 2017
"Shit's" been broke #getaneditbuttonalready
djcrap 2:55 PM - 1 May, 2017
Quote:
Ive been on SDJ for the past 3 weeks as i bought a Pioneer S9. So far so good, havent had any issues other than a few screen momentary screen freezes when i move around too fast in the library.

Waveforms are moving just fine for me. Running on a macbook air with yosemite with pitch n time enabled.

Cant really go back unless i hookup my sl3, plus anywhere i go i can just use the club kit if i cant bring the S9 as most places have a 900 somewhere.

Ha

I have had screen freezes followed by audio dead space after loading a song to the next deck while another is playing

Reported it during the beta but no reply by the modes so I said to hell with it
serato.com
ParisCreative 9:51 PM - 14 May, 2017
Well after a couple no-issue performances with 1.9.6 I had a brief freeze up (frozen waveforms and sound). Guess it's back to SSL.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:48 PM - 14 May, 2017
Quote:
Well after a couple no-issue performances with 1.9.6 I had a brief freeze up (frozen waveforms and sound). Guess it's back to SSL.

Hey man,

Did the dropout indicator light up? What are the specs of the computer you're using?

Look forward to hearing back.
Scott Campbell 10:04 PM - 15 May, 2017
NO....it is not.
Chino 10:07 PM - 15 May, 2017
Quote:

I'm definitely an advocate for the use of SSL because of it's ROCK SOLID STABILITY!!! That being said…. I have used SDJ 1.9.6 for the last month or so straight without a hiccup(knock on wood!!).

I use SDJ 1.9.6 with a Denon MC6000mkII & a Roland DJ-808. I think the key to SDJ stability is finding the right OS & specs to run stable on your particular computer. I use a…..

mid 2012 MBP OSX 10.11.5 2.6 i7 quad core 16GB RAM 750GB internal HD
ParisCreative 10:18 PM - 15 May, 2017
Yeah I thought I had a "good thing" going, and luckily the issue was very brief. But in any performance, especially in a wedding setting, the demand for flawless is just there.

And since I run a Rane 62 and decks overhead on the app should be a minimum (compared to a controller).

early 2013, MBPr, i5, 8GB, 512GB SSD
Scott Campbell 10:26 PM - 15 May, 2017
I am running 1.9.1 on my Late 2010 17" MBP on a Denon MCX8000 without issues using El Capitan. Most of my other gigs I am still using SSL with a Rane 62 and 2 Denon 3900's on a partition with Snow Leopard and it is still rock solid for me!
Andrei Matei 12:39 AM - 16 May, 2017
Would be curious to hear from the serato team if the 2.0 codebase will be a complete rework. It seems the stability just can't get to rock solid status since SDJ was released almost 4 years ago. SSL still king.
DJ Tecniq 4:50 AM - 16 May, 2017
In short no it is not a replacement for SSL my main reason the GUI freezes esp when opening tabs, scrolling and sometimes searching it lags. S9 and SB2 same problem previous versions have just been smoother. Just from my experience.
vj tech.sys 8:24 PM - 16 May, 2017
Not sure how it happened, but in the middle of a gig, 1.9.6 decided that it didn't want to search for files. I could browse folders just fine, but searching wasn't an option. It only happened once, but that once was enough. Back to SSL I went.

and before asked:

Serato DJ 1.9.6
Serato Video
Rane SL-4

macOS Sierra
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Automatic Graphics Switching is turned off
DJ Baby Boy 3:56 AM - 17 May, 2017
I'm extremely torn with how to answer this because I have one machine that's working 100% flawlessly and another that is having major issues but only while running video (MixEmergency & Arena) with just audio both are completely fine and no problems

The machine that I'm able to run flawlessly on with video is a 2012 15" 2.3 i7 512mb NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 16gb ram MBP with a 512gb SSD for the OS & 2tb HDD in the optical bay for storage

The machine that I'm having major FPS & CPU issues on with video is a 2015 15" rMBP 2.5 i7 2gb AMD Radeon R9 M370X 16gb ram with a 512gb SSD for the OS

My music/video library is external on a 4tb MyPassport Pro connected via thunderbolt which I use for both computers

I have noticed that on the 2015 rMBP if I step back to SDJ 1.9.4 I can spin video just fine with ME & Arena but for some reason 1.9.6 kills FPS & spikes the CPU like crazy

So your machine may have a big effect in how it runs and newer/stronger doesn't necessarily mean it'll run better (which is really irritating)
DJ Tecniq 8:34 AM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:
I'm extremely torn with how to answer this because I have one machine that's working 100% flawlessly and another that is having major issues but only while running video (MixEmergency & Arena) with just audio both are completely fine and no problems

The machine that I'm able to run flawlessly on with video is a 2012 15" 2.3 i7 512mb NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 16gb ram MBP with a 512gb SSD for the OS & 2tb HDD in the optical bay for storage

The machine that I'm having major FPS & CPU issues on with video is a 2015 15" rMBP 2.5 i7 2gb AMD Radeon R9 M370X 16gb ram with a 512gb SSD for the OS

My music/video library is external on a 4tb MyPassport Pro connected via thunderbolt which I use for both computers

I have noticed that on the 2015 rMBP if I step back to SDJ 1.9.4 I can spin video just fine with ME & Arena but for some reason 1.9.6 kills FPS & spikes the CPU like crazy

So your machine may have a big effect in how it runs and newer/stronger doesn't necessarily mean it'll run better (which is really irritating)
Wow that is weird. Could it maybe be certain videos?
DJ Baby Boy 8:37 AM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that is weird. Could it maybe be certain videos?

Nope The FPS & CPU start acting super weird with 1.9.6 along with ME & Arena even if I don't connect my external and only have a handful of files directly from SmashVision but not with 1.9.4 ... I've exhausted everything and it's only an issue on the 2015 not the 2012
DJ Tecniq 8:43 AM - 17 May, 2017
Okay so is the 2015 the one with the USB-C port? I have a Mid 2014 but I'll have to check the fps. I have a support ticket open for an odd problem. Lately I've had the "ILoveQSC/quartz files crashing my shit as soon as the visual is applied/attached. Here's the crazy thing it's not all of them it is only certain quartz files. Serato has confirmed this from my crash reports. I don't recall that ever happening with versions before 1.9 though. 9.5 & 9.6 have both crashed SV. SDJ does not crash but SV is with error report.
DJ Baby Boy 8:51 AM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:
Okay so is the 2015 the one with the USB-C port? I have a Mid 2014 but I'll have to check the fps. I have a support ticket open for an odd problem. Lately I've had the "ILoveQSC/quartz files crashing my shit as soon as the visual is applied/attached. Here's the crazy thing it's not all of them it is only certain quartz files. Serato has confirmed this from my crash reports. I don't recall that ever happening with versions before 1.9 though. 9.5 & 9.6 have both crashed SV. SDJ does not crash but SV is with error report.

Nope last version before the touch bar macs so I have all the same ports as yours. I don't use any qtz files from ILoveQSC at all and the only ones I have are in MixEmergency as custom transitions and I've even tried taking them out of ME to rule them out too. 1.9.5 & 1.9.6 have the same problems with the 2015 but not on the 2012 which is much weaker.
DJ Tecniq 8:56 AM - 17 May, 2017
Wow. I think you found a major bug then that is only an issue for the newer Macs.
DJ Tecniq 8:58 AM - 17 May, 2017
Take a look at this thread I've been following it mentions fps drops serato.com
DJ Baby Boy 9:04 AM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:
Wow. I think you found a major bug then that is only an issue for the newer Macs.

Quote:
Take a look at this thread I've been following it mentions fps drops serato.com

I think I have I just wish I had this laptop during the betas so it could have possibly been addressed and mine has nothing to do with SV (I refuse to use it because of stability and lack of features) ... I will be following that thread though to see if there is any more developments in it
DJ Tecniq 9:07 AM - 17 May, 2017
Does the 2015 have a diff graphics card than the 2012?
DJ Baby Boy 9:10 AM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:

Yes the 2012 has the 512mb NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and the 2015 has the2gb AMD Radeon R9 M370X ... Everything I do with video is much faster and better on the 2015 from Final Cut Pro X to After Effects and even Arena on it's own
DJ Tecniq 7:24 PM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yes the 2012 has the 512mb NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and the 2015 has the2gb AMD Radeon R9 M370X ... Everything I do with video is much faster and better on the 2015 from Final Cut Pro X to After Effects and even Arena on it's own
Okay that's interesting cause the thread I pointed to you was indeed also an AMD graphics chip. I'm wondering if it's because of the diff graphics cards?
eugguy 7:47 PM - 17 May, 2017
SSL still as stable as ever. SDJ isn't bad either, just too much emotional attachment to SSL, ahaha.
DJ Tecniq 1:21 AM - 18 May, 2017
Quote:
SSL still as stable as ever. SDJ isn't bad either, just too much emotional attachment to SSL, ahaha.
This ^^^^
R-A-C 6:32 PM - 28 May, 2017
Quote:

that is because performance wise a core2duo and everything newer has more than enough juice to run an even half-way properly written dj program. so if problems show up it's either a bug or a compatibility thing.
Ragman 10:42 PM - 28 May, 2017
I own 4 Serato systems. An NS7III, DDJ-SZ2, S9 (w/SC3900s) and V7s. I gig out commercially with the SZ2 and S9 setup running SDJ 1.9.6 on all systems. I don't use Serato Video out on gigs but do use it in the lab. I haven't had not one issue with 1.9.6 since it's release. I'm loving it right now.