Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon MC 7000 is better than the SX2?

KateUptonNYC 4:21 PM - 26 April, 2017
I'm curious of everyones thoughts about the MC 7000. For a controller that launched pretty much in secret since its announcement, the amount of content covering the controller is very sparse.
Smartus 5:07 PM - 26 April, 2017
I own one and am very happy with it. There aren't any exciting new features compared to other controllers in the market (apart from offering 2 USB ports maybe) which is probably why noone was making a big deal of its release, but: it's a fine piece of controller.
Mike Sinclair 9:54 PM - 26 April, 2017
Has anyone compared the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 to the MC7000? Specifically sound quality? I've heard that the Denon has a better sound card. Would love to hear from someone who has heard both and compared them.
DJ Round 10 2:45 AM - 27 April, 2017
I just got to play with both at my local GC. IMO, the 7000 felt sturdier and sounded better. For what it's worth, half the knobs on the SX2 were missing, too. It just felt cheap. Of course, that could be bc it's been out on display a lot longer with it being an older model. But yeah, I decided to buy the 7000 after my experience with both.
ATLVJS 2:50 AM - 15 May, 2017
I just bought this controller last week. I used it for an hour in my studio and for 1 gig for 4 1/2 hours so take that in mind. Now, prior to buying it, I was using the SX2 and prior to that, the SX. I wasn't happy with Pioneer over the MIC input on the SX (which made me buy the SX2).

I bought the MC7000 for the following that the SX2 didn't have
1. Dual USB (Ability to connect 2 computers "at the same damn time")
2. Two dedicated MIC channels (which leaves 4 dedicated channels for the DJ)
3. MIC echo effect
4. XLR for Booth output (wondering why it took so long for anyone to do this)
5. Two navigation/load knobs (one for each side)
6. Metal Casing

So far I like these features and I find the wheels on this closer to my liking. It will take some getting use to the mirror layout but its not the end of the world.

What I don't like is that you have to use the SHIFT with the in/out button to manually do looks (advantage SX2).

Overall, I think it is a great controller. It will take some getting use to coming from a pioneer controller but I'm happy with my purchase.
ATLVJS 2:50 AM - 15 May, 2017
IN SHORT, IF THE SZ & SX2 HAD A BABY, IT WOULD BE THE MC7000!!!!!!
Mike Sinclair 11:58 AM - 15 May, 2017
Are the mic levels too hot? I know on a lot of Denon controllers, you have to buy attenuators to back the volume down (MC6000 MK2, MC4000)...
dj rickc 2:57 PM - 15 May, 2017
hey atlvjs, i also have sx and sx2. what is your opinion on the sound quality of the music and the mic?i am considering the 7000 or the roland 808. let me know. thx rick
iernei 1:30 PM - 18 May, 2017
Yesterday I've tested mc7000. Mic levels are on the loud site but you can easily set them little lower. There's no distorsion, the mic sound is clear even with shouting and at maximum master volume. I really like the overall feeling of the controller, sound quality is much better than sx's.

Jogs are nice and precise. For me only acceptable option is one outer ring's blue led indicator on. Whole ring on and indicator light off is just too bright, especially with blue color being the only option. The jogs are also little too light for my taste, but that's all just personal preferencies.

What I really don't like and will make me nervous if I'd buy this controller is the quality of usb ports. Both A and B were not particulary convincing. When you plug the cable in, there's no particular click. My terminal mix 8 still connects firmly after 3-4 years of constant abuse with nice click (but has other problems). With mc7000 there's no click and you don't know if you put the cable in far enough. What's worse, when I've tried to add another small device moving it close to the usb ports I've touched the usb cable/plug lightly and controller lost the connection. I can't imagine another dj connecting and during this simple process ruining your show. Or for example adding another audio source through rca's and accidently causing silence because of lost usb connection. Of course it could've been just the test unit, but the fact that both ports were behaving similar makes me skeptical.

To sum up mc7000 is a great controller but that usb flaw could be one too many.
DJ2dmax 1:58 PM - 18 May, 2017
Quote:
hey atlvjs, i also have sx and sx2. what is your opinion on the sound quality of the music and the mic?i am considering the 7000 or the roland 808. let me know. thx rick

If you're looking for a great upgrade that will last a while, get the Roland DJ-808 instead, look for DJ Chino's review on this amazing equipment. I just bought my SX2, didn't have enough for a 808... hopefully in 5 yrs jeheheehhe
Mike Sinclair 2:19 PM - 18 May, 2017
The 808 looks bad ass. I have an SX2 right now and I like it, but I am considering an MC7000 AND an MC4000 ... for second, smaller setup, I think the 2-channel 4000 will do the job. Does anybody know if the 7000 and 4000 have similar sound cards, or did they go cheaper on the 4000?
james richie 5:06 PM - 8 June, 2017
sold my sx2 after issues with warranty apparently a little drop of moisture under a platter caused a fader to snap ???? bought the mc7000 all i can say is wow sounds better looks amazing, the pitch sliders are on the outside unlike pioneer i like this as owned the ns6 before , handy having 2 usb as backup, 2 separate mic inputs speaks for itself it makes it a true 4 channel not 3 like the sx2 and bonus it fitted into my swan case with only cutting 2 1inch cube of foam as it a little taller
KateUptonNYC 5:20 PM - 8 June, 2017
Since posting this I've used both at the events I do. I get more compliments on sound quality from the Denon Unit than the SX2. That may have to do with the fact that it's just a newer player=newer sound cards.
The Lazy One 6:24 PM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
Since posting this I've used both at the events I do. I get more compliments on sound quality from the Denon Unit than the SX2. That may have to do with the fact that it's just a newer player=newer sound cards.

I've read DDJ SX2 soundcard it's average. Denon is making it right.
boskee 9:44 PM - 16 November, 2017
iernei.Thanks for your comment about usb ports.Thought to that time that only me have an issue with them. Its realy bad,cant stand how its possible in such a good equipment to make them so. Sometimes disconecting from serato by just touch,no way that you can move controller during play,no problem if thats at home but imagine on gig at club or wherever. No click,they loose even when connected,it feels like the whole port is moving. I could shake my old numark with no worries, in denon once i start playing i have to keep it in mind that any unexpected moves or shakes will end the set. Thats the only one and very big con of that controller from my experience.
iernei 11:13 PM - 18 November, 2017
Quote:
iernei.Thanks for your comment about usb ports.Thought to that time that only me have an issue with them. Its realy bad,cant stand how its possible in such a good equipment to make them so. Sometimes disconecting from serato by just touch,no way that you can move controller during play,no problem if thats at home but imagine on gig at club or wherever. No click,they loose even when connected,it feels like the whole port is moving. I could shake my old numark with no worries, in denon once i start playing i have to keep it in mind that any unexpected moves or shakes will end the set. Thats the only one and very big con of that controller from my experience.

No problem. That was the only reason I didn't buy it.

I've bought Roland DJ-808. Eventhough it has its own quirks as you can see in big *My first Weekend with the Roland DJ-808* thread started by Chino. And I'm enjoying it. Just waiting for Roland to release a firmware update.

Obviously at the moment there's no "perfect" controller in the market. And probably there's not going to be any in the future considering manufacturers' sloppy quality control and firmware development. But that's just how it is and I've chosen the optimal product for me or in other words, the product with the least annoying issues for my workflow.
Dog Baker 2:27 AM - 23 October, 2018
I own both.

On the whole, I have found the MC7000 to be the better of the two.

Two true mic inputs with discrete VC control, leaving the 4 Line level inputs separate.
IMO More dynamic sound.

The two USB inputs are a must, after using them. They lock in real tight, you know that there are not going to wiggle out.

Better build quality - a little heavier as a result.

Layout more symmetrical and logical IMO.

Larger buttons, have become a comfort, when i am flying around the surface.

Overall, more engaging to the eye and hands and more to use.

Price is truly in the pocket.
popnwave 3:21 PM - 23 October, 2018
With the quirks the SX3 (no that it has replaced the 2) has been having I def think the MC7000 is the best of the two.
Dog Baker 4:50 AM - 24 October, 2018
Just bought a MCX8000

Nice machine. Just like the MC7000 with two screens.

Lots of room, things are spaced out more in the channel strips.

Only one disappointment. Only channels 1 & 2 can be assigned Denon's Engine. All 4 should be.

As a result, I will never use the system as a standalone. What is very cool however, is that the displays output the waveforms and prime data from Serato - very handy and looks awesome.