Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon DS1

Banjojohn 9:20 AM - 19 April, 2017
Hi All ,

I'm thinking of getting this dvs system real soon , are there any software restrictions with it compared to owning a Rane product ?

Or will the same serato software and features be the same with the denon ds1 compared to the rane ... hope that makes sense and many Thanks ,
Kind Regards ,
DJ Levv 10:00 AM - 19 April, 2017
The Denon Ds1 and the Rane Sl series are timecode vinyl interfaces, they do exactly the same thing. They both come with a working license of DVS. Only difference is that the DS1 is 2 channel only and has no separate power supply so cannot be used in a standalone configuration.

Rane discontinued the SL series some time ago so you may not be able to find any anymore. Sound quality of both units is impeccable.

Software wise there is no difference, DVS is a timecode plugin for Serato DJ and both systems come with a working license so plug and play.

I have been using the Denon DS1 for quite some time now and all I can say is that appart from my NI Kontrol S8 it's probably hands down the best investment I made in some time.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:49 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Software wise there is no difference, DVS is a timecode plugin for Serato DJ and both systems come with a working license so plug and play.

The rane boxes allow you to use the older serato scratch live software which in my opinion is a well better product then serato dj but lacks some of the newer features
Banjojohn 9:36 PM - 19 April, 2017
Huge Thanks for the reply , I'll be ordering it Tomorrow for sure as the new Serato DJ supports My Reloop RP8000 :)

I did try Serato scratch a few Weeks back but not sure it supports the RP8000 and it did look a bit Dated compared to the new Serato DJ but I guess its down to personal choice ,
Many Thanks again ,
Kind Regards ,
John ,
DJ Levv 6:45 AM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

The rane boxes allow you to use the older serato scratch live software which in my opinion is a well better product then serato dj but lacks some of the newer features

I did not know that, but I don't think this is relevant to the topic starter since from what I get he has no or limited experience with Serato. Can you point out what version you use that seems to work better with the Rane's?
Laz219 7:30 AM - 20 April, 2017
Still is a common thought that SSL is more stable than SDJ.
SDJ is definitely more resource hungry (especially when you start working with expansion packs) but on a 2012 MBP- I've never had an issue with it.
katmoda 12:41 PM - 20 April, 2017
I Have the DS 1 - a couple of things to think about.

The DS1 is not compatible with SSL
The DS1 won't allow you to record in Serato DJ.

The DS1 has never failed me yet ;)
I use it for HID with CDJ900 and sometimes use it with SL1200's depending on my mood
Banjojohn 1:35 PM - 20 April, 2017
Thanks All for the input , Really appreciated ,

I've never used Serato at all but seen both ssl and sdj working on Youtube ( not sure if I can use it as a demo without hardware , )

This is purely for Home use and My Laptop is Windows with an i7 , 8gb and an ssd drive so should run smooth enough ,

As for recording , I have no plans on doing this but it can be done outside of Serato like Audacity etc ... but I dont really have any interest in that just yet ,

Heres a faq I just found too denondj.com
Djohn Smoke 7:41 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
I

really?? Denon DJ isn't serious on this point.
Laz219 9:48 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I

It's no different than the Rane SL2- it doesn't have enough input to be able to route the post-mixer audio back into the soundcard.
It's not like it's a disabled feature, just a limitation of the hardware.
DJ Tecniq 12:44 PM - 21 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I

It's no different than the Rane SL2- it doesn't have enough input to be able to route the post-mixer audio back into the soundcard.
That and it's a cheap soundcard which is why the SL3 is a huge seller as it has the aux for recording but you still need a rca cable routed from mixer to aux for this to work. I used to have an SL3 but sold it for the Pioneer S9. Best decision I made👍🏼
katmoda 12:44 PM - 21 April, 2017
Quote:

Thats a better way of putting it. ;)
Laz219 1:03 PM - 21 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I

That and it's a cheap soundcard which is why the SL3 is a huge seller as it has the aux for recording but you still need a rca cable routed from mixer to aux for this to work. I used to have an SL3 but sold it for the Pioneer S9. Best decision I made👍🏼

It's the exact reason I moved from the SL1 to the SL3 (besides also being able to output the sampler on a dedicated channel)
Whether you need that third channel likely depends on where you're at as a DJ though- if you're just starting out, you may not think you need recording because you're not going to be putting mixes anywhere anyway...but one of the best ways to learn is to record everything so you can listen back and learn from it.
If you're experienced...well, would you not want the option to easily be able to record your sets?

I get the idea of simple '2 deck and a mixer' interfaces..and that you have the option to record through audacity etc.
For me though...the minimal extra outlay required to have it all in one is worth it.
Especially when Rane interfaces are basically bulletproof so picking up a used one for a good price is far from a gamble.
DjKingBee 4:31 PM - 30 November, 2017
Can you play Regular Vinyl (Not Timecode) with the DS1 ? Does anyone know
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:27 PM - 30 November, 2017
Quote:
Can you play Regular Vinyl (Not Timecode) with the DS1 ? Does anyone know

you can but you need the device connected to a laptop to power it / the rane devices allow for a plug to be connected to use without a pc