DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

QSC finally updates the K-series

dj_soo 5:53 PM - 17 April, 2017
DJFree 5:56 PM - 17 April, 2017
Meh....
Rebelguy 5:59 PM - 17 April, 2017
ZzzzzzzZzzzz
Robbie O 6:20 PM - 18 April, 2017
cant lie. I'm a QSC fanboy. I'm interested, but still leaning toward getting Yamaha's thou. My KW 12" are annoyingly heavy.
SELECT 7:59 PM - 18 April, 2017
Lighter and now have digital DSP. Same output so not louder given the "watts". 41 pounds for a 12inch is awesome tho.
NcGai 8:33 PM - 18 April, 2017
The new K.2's are 2000 watts.
Rebelguy 11:07 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
Lighter and now have digital DSP. Same output so not louder given the "watts". 41 pounds for a 12inch is awesome tho.

They are only 2 lbs. lighter and the high frequency driver got reduced from 1.75" to 1.4".
DJ Unique 12:07 AM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

They are only 2 lbs. lighter and the high frequency driver got reduced from 1.75" to 1.4".

Meh...
Only 2 lbs is negligible
577er 12:45 AM - 19 April, 2017
Can't believe they are still using that 2000 watts nonsense 🙄
Mr.Jace 2:04 AM - 19 April, 2017
The updated Ksub is now 90 pounds. :-\
dj_soo 7:04 AM - 19 April, 2017
the originals were supposed to be "2000 watts" too.
DJFree 11:34 AM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:

the high frequency driver got reduced from 1.75" to 1.4".

This is all I needed to see before I was like nah
SELECT 3:50 PM - 19 April, 2017
Watts are just how much juice is needed to get the internal components moving not how loud they get. Some people still fall for that as being some kind of loudness meter. Higher end, lighter drivers need more juice to get them moving. DB peak is what you should look at.

k12- Maximum SPL1 131 dB peak
k.12.2- Maximum Rated SPL1 132 dB @ 1 M, peak 126 dB @ 1 M, continuous
Rebelguy 5:37 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Higher end, lighter drivers need more juice to get them moving.

Huh? There are plenty of high end cabinets that offer high output and are extremely power efficient.
DJ GaFFle 5:45 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

+1 QSC's pimpin' backwards.

Quote:
The new K.2's are 2000 watts.

You must be new to this forum. You'll learn that watts don't tell the story...
SELECT 6:21 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Huh? There are plenty of high end cabinets that offer high output and are extremely power efficient.

Name some, just curious. I want to see how light they are.

I made a general statement. Those 2000 watts are not producing more DB so I'm just giving an example of why they would be 1000 more watts than the previous model.
SELECT 6:25 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rebelguy 6:36 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I made a general statement. Those 2000 watts are not producing more DB so I'm just giving an example of why they would be 1000 more watts than the previous model.

Here are a few...

www.fbt.it

www.rcf.it

m.usa.yamaha.com

All roughly the same weight but less wattage than the QSC.
SELECT 6:37 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But didnt you see they are using a...
HF: 1.4"
"titanium" compression driver

as oppossed to a
HF 1.75”
"diaphragm" compression driver

Is titanium strong and light?
SELECT 6:48 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here are a few...

www.fbt.it

www.rcf.it

m.usa.yamaha.com

All roughly the same weight but less wattage than the QSC.

All use higher end, lightweight drivers and I should have said more advanced DSP.

You'll notice none have DSP like the new QSC, EV ETX. All of those "watts" are just to get things working and moving.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Rebelguy 7:02 PM - 19 April, 2017
All the speakers I listed already use advanced DSP. They just don't offer the user as many preset options as some of the other speakers.
SELECT 7:30 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
All the speakers I listed already use advanced DSP. They just don't offer the user as many preset options as some of the other speakers.

I dont know man. I own the RCF 735a and it has on button, boost, thats it. The yamaha is also very basic.

That new promaxx 114 however does have similar advanced DSP like the new QSC and now older ETX line. Its also using lightweight neodymium woofers which I love. However they are designed for small to medium installs. Super pricey too.
577er 8:29 PM - 19 April, 2017
That 2000 watts is not needed to get "things" moving, other than the imaginations of shoppers.

According to the spec sheet the new amps are 1800 watts peak to the low frequency driver and 225 to the high frequency driver that translates to a realistic 450 to the low frequency and 56 to the highs. Headroom is of course a good thing but at some point you have to realize it's all bullshit.

I'll add the old EV SX360a to the list of more efficient speakers. Stated watts 350 for the lows and 150 for the highs and they are much louder than the old K series I don't care what the spec sheets say.
Rebelguy 9:42 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I dont know man. I own the RCF 735a and it has on button, boost, thats it. The yamaha is also very basic.

That new promaxx 114 however does have similar advanced DSP like the new QSC and now older ETX line. Its also using lightweight neodymium woofers which I love. However they are designed for small to medium installs. Super pricey too.

This doesn't mean that your cabinet doesn't have a lot of DSP action going on. It just doesn't give you all the presets like some of these speakers. Most of them are pretty useless as it is though. An LCD screen on a speaker is just one more thing that can go wrong.
SELECT 2:46 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This doesn't mean that your cabinet doesn't have a lot of DSP action going on. It just doesn't give you all the presets like some of these speakers. Most of them are pretty useless as it is though. An LCD screen on a speaker is just one more thing that can go wrong.

I had the ETX for a few years and I used all of the DSP, including the delay and PEQ so it wasnt useless for me. It helped tremendously just being able to match them with different subs and rooms. The new QSC is literally a clone of it. I'm super curious to see how they sound and project.
R-Tistic 6:15 PM - 20 April, 2017
So I'm still a novice at mobile sound.

Comparing a K12 to a K12.2....what would be the pros and cons of each? What would really make them different? I've read the comments, and I understand some parts of it, and it sounds like the highs won't be as strong on the K12.2s...but that's about all I understand.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:02 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:

Comparing a K12 to a K12.2....what would be the pros and cons of each? What would really make them different? I've read the comments, and I understand some parts of it, and it sounds like the highs won't be as strong on the K12.2s...but that's about all I understand.

They now have a DSP like some of the newer speakers. That might be the only change.
577er 11:59 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:

Without hearing them it's hard to say how the new DSP will affect the sound. Folks complained that the K12 was harsh when over driven, not surprising. The DSP and smaller HF driver might help with that? The K8 has a wedge angle which is pretty cool. The delay feature is very cool if you've ever needed it.