DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mixed in Key for Top 40 Djs ???

DjManny09 11:14 PM - 9 June, 2009
Whats up Family

I know House Djs are using Mixed in key, and is great for harmonic mixing, but what about Top 40, Hip Hop Djs???
Is Somebody here mixing Hip Hop or Top 40 harmonic. Some times when i mix 2 tracks everything is ok: Pitch, Similar or compatible rythms, etc. But i feel there is something its no good. Could be the harmonic???

I appreciate any comments. Thanks...
sacrilicious 11:17 PM - 9 June, 2009
Yessir, absolutely.
DjManny09 6:10 AM - 10 June, 2009
Anybody else...
Hip Hop or Top 40 Djs. How do you do it ???
Dj Rehab 8:15 AM - 10 June, 2009
I thinks that it is a little overkill, given the top 40 crowd. I mean, they want to hear cupid shuffle and shit, I don't really care to find something in key with that shit-
eder 8:17 AM - 10 June, 2009
Mixed in Key.
eder 8:18 AM - 10 June, 2009
but then of course, I've never had to do a 32bar mix of boom boom pow into calle ocho before...
Zero Day 6:18 AM - 13 June, 2009
How do you mix in key??
I know there is now a "key" section along with comments album and all.
but when i have it showing there is nothing ever there..
help??
eder 8:40 AM - 13 June, 2009
buy the program. it's called "mixed in key". it'll sort your tracks for you automatically and add it however you would like it to add.
C. William 8:22 AM - 14 June, 2009
yea i'm not really concerned about the key of a song after the twentieth request for boom boom pow. i just power down and play the shit so everyone shuts the fuck up. i could give a fuck what key the shit is in.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:41 PM - 15 June, 2009
Quote:
How do you mix in key??
I know there is now a "key" section along with comments album and all.
but when i have it showing there is nothing ever there..
help??

www.scratchlive.net
Turn Table Tennis 8:23 PM - 15 June, 2009
all those auto tuners are all in the same key anyway... the t pain key.
top 40 crowd doesn't care. and if you're getting gigs where people listen to under ground or old school hip hop, they don't care either. just want to hear some dope joints and lyrics.
dj shadow from detroit 9:22 PM - 15 June, 2009
if you care about mixing then you would mix in key.from your on knowledge or a program telling you what key your tracks are in.

i understand when your in the club you get request ( club dj for over 11 yrs ) but mixing in key ( i dont use any software ) sounds smooth and goes for a better over all sound.

i pay attention to how songs mix in together.and that is what a mix dj does.

trust me people pay attention if you can mix or not. and if they dont and you dont then i guess it it what it is :)
Audio1 11:23 PM - 15 June, 2009
^^ I agree with Shadow. I come from a Drum&Bass/Jungle background where playing in key is essential, The same can be applied to hiphop/top 40 music as well. Sure, Most of you dont care but if you want your music to sound good, Its best if you mix harmonically.
Audio1 11:31 PM - 15 June, 2009
The problem here is, Theres DJs who care about how they DJ and some who dont. Personally, Knowing keys by ear or even with the help of RE2 or MIK can help you considerably in a club situation, as to where to take the mix. Keys help you elevate the mood and energy, They help you decrease it? You ever notice when DJ's play one banging track and the energy builds as each track is dropped? There you go. Harmonic mixing is essential in my opinion.
DjManny09 7:32 PM - 20 June, 2009
Ok i bought Mixed in Key Last Week.
And made some test with Top 40. Its true, peopple dont care if youre mixing in key or harmonic, but when you do it, the energy in the transitions is better, the transition sounds real clear and the crowd feel it...
This is a good tool for any DJ...

Thanks for your comments
DJMark 11:36 PM - 20 June, 2009
If you can't or won't mix with any respect for musical values, don't be too disappointed if your crowd responds accordingly.

Cart, horse.

Egg, chicken.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:38 PM - 22 June, 2009
can you use mix in key on batches or do you need to do it file by file
DeezNotes 4:45 PM - 22 June, 2009
batches. i've added a few thousand files, but it seems to crash if you add 10k files.
djchrischip 7:35 PM - 22 June, 2009
does mixed in key work for mp4s?
N is it true it will delete all ur loops and cue points?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:37 PM - 22 June, 2009
Quote:

...i havent heard about that is that true??
djchrischip 7:37 PM - 22 June, 2009
N i heard it might not be too accurate like between 80 n 90% accurate.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:38 PM - 22 June, 2009
Quote:
N i heard it might not be too accurate like between 80 n 90% accurate.

Ive heard this too but as ive been told it dosent matter because it gets you in the same range with all the songs, in other words a song a be off a bit but other songs with that same key wuold be off the same so the outcome is equivilent
djchrischip 7:43 PM - 22 June, 2009
yah but it would be nice to just hope for the best and well be right all the time lol. jk
dj_soo 7:44 PM - 22 June, 2009
learning to hear in-key and out-of-key blends is essential whether you use a program or not.

should be a pre-requisite for djing in public.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:31 PM - 24 June, 2009
Quote:
does mixed in key work for mp4s?

BUMP...Does anyone know if mixed in key erases loops and cue points??
DeezNotes 7:31 PM - 24 June, 2009
No, it doesn't. I have it running right now.
Audio1 7:35 PM - 24 June, 2009
It doesnt. and shouldnt.
dj shadow from detroit 7:36 PM - 24 June, 2009
does mixed in key work with apple?
DeezNotes 7:37 PM - 24 June, 2009
Quote:
does mixed in key work with apple?

Yes.
DeezNotes 7:38 PM - 24 June, 2009
What are the down-sides you ask? The newer version of Mixed In Key requires an internet connection while it analyzes your files. I think it sends the file name/song info to Mixed in Key? I don't know, but this requirement sucks. Older versions don't require this, but I'm not sure if the older versions will write to the key tag (only to the comment tag)?
MSF 7:52 PM - 24 June, 2009
I had MIK when it first came out .. (V1.5 for MAC). That version removed loop points and cues.

those issues have been fixed awhile ago.. the latest version I have is MIK 4.01 and it does not remove the loops/cue points.

and to be honest, I have not found an 'auto-key-analyzer' that is 80%-90% accurate.. not even MIK.

The only way to test the accuracy of the analyzation (sp?) results of the software is to use an instrument and your ear.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:27 PM - 24 June, 2009
not too big of a deal since 80% accurate is better than having nothing in that field LOL, i figure its like BPM, it dosent need to be 100 as long as it gets you in the ball park of where it is,
DJMark 11:56 PM - 24 June, 2009
I tried mixed in key once, and found I could go through a batch of music manually both faster and with much more accuracy.

Plus I just object to dumbing-down something as basic as keys with those "codes". To anyone with the most basic musical knowledge, the cryptic codes are less informative/helpful than looking at the actual key information.

And just as importantly, the "camelot" system (if followed strictly) kind of locks one into ONE style of "harmonic" mixing. Creating musical-sounding mixes is not just about following points on the "circle of fifths".
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:55 PM - 25 June, 2009
Quote:
I tried mixed in key once, and found I could go through a batch of music manually both faster and with much more accuracy.

True but i dont have plans on manually going through 50000+ songs and manually keying in the key
PolishPat 2:45 PM - 25 June, 2009
With hiphop and Top 40 and all that shaith, it's all about mixing through the BPM's and maybe mixing through looping, because traditional house mixing that last 32, 64, or sometimes even more bars, doesn't exist in hiphop...

So all I worry about is mixing through the BPM range...

When it comes to house, or dubstep, or dnb, all those genres are ONE set of BPM for the most part, so THEN I'll mix through keys...

But yeah. No Key mixing with hip hop and top 40 for the most part.
Audio1 3:39 PM - 25 June, 2009
^ I guess Im the opposite of you. I key mix everything I DJ at clubs and raves... hiphop/top 40, jungle/DNB/ragga, Dubstep, Electro/House.
dj_soo 7:39 PM - 25 June, 2009
people who think that key mixing doesn't apply to hiphop and top 40 are delusional.

You don't have to do it, but it sounds so much better.

Just like you don't have to play high-quality files, but it sounds so much better when you do.
PolishPat 7:55 PM - 25 June, 2009
When you're doing a lot of cutting... It really doesn't matter, because you're not having harmonies and melodies, as well as multiple vocals being mashed up for more than maybe 8 bars... Having it in key is that extra icing on the cake, but it really depends on how you choose to mix...
dj_soo 8:14 PM - 25 June, 2009
doesn't matter - cutting between to complimentary keys sounds much better than cutting between two tunes which the keys don't transition well.

Tunes don't have to be blended to be mixed harmonically.

It would be akin to chord changes in a single song.
DJLSD 10:46 AM - 6 July, 2009
i would say marking keys on records is wack, you should hear that with your ears. and ain't this why we use headphones to cue tracks, that should tell it before you blend. and if the outcome sounds horrible then you don't do that kind of blends.

i have a classical training on piano so it might be a bit easier on me still i would say if you're any bit musical you should hear it;
a good example i remember one dude doing a kelis 'trick me'/'coco jambo' mashup in a club by playing them together and taking the bass out of mr president - right now i don't remember if they're on different keys or the same key and he forgot to put the master pitch on, anyway...it sounded f*n horrible! i just remember thinking can someone working with music seriously be this tone def!?! the whole dancefloor had a sour face on!

if the dancefloor can hear it so should you. no need for this kind of software mumbo jumbo!

lol to be honest once again it doesn't matter how you do your job as long as you do it well. but musical work happens with and between the ears, not on the computer screen, and every creative part of the work you give the computer lessens the possibility of 'something funky and unorthodox' happening. worst case scenario you have your songs listed on the screen by key and you select the next song by that.

anyway at least know that for example a song on C-major and a song on A-minor could blend perfectly. but if you know that much about chords you should be able to tell it without aide anyway.
one thing also i've noticed we usually remember the songs in our heads in the right tune. so most times when you start to think 'hey this would go perfectly on top of this' it is correct.
dj_soo 10:58 PM - 6 July, 2009
^ of the opinion that the theory training, although it helps, isn't necessary. What is necessary is to use your ears and recognize an out-of-key blend and then *not do it*

Sadly, it seems that a ton of DJs out there are not only completely tone deaf when they play, but are completely tonedeaf even when they make these mashups or remixes.

The amount of out-of-key pre-produced tracks out there are unforgivable.

And it just worse when you hear all these people saying "oh harmonic mixing doesn't matter in x genre." It's bullshit - it matters in every genre...
dj shadow from detroit 11:10 PM - 6 July, 2009
i agree.

mixing in key is a most but not all the time.getting on the mic helps transitions.and scratching in tracks that are out of key. and then start in that key if different :)

i feel alot of beginning djs are using this without knowing whats correct. "not all" but alot.

me personally i dont need mixed in key to dj for me.its just a tool that helps me get to where i wanna get.and thats being myself :)
Twilight Notes 12:15 AM - 7 July, 2009
Does mik work on aiff files?

Also, what field does it show up in ? Grouping?
Audio1 1:12 AM - 7 July, 2009
You have to set it up within Mixed In Key. I usually have mine on the Comments section, tho on 1.9.1, Ive been able to add them to the SSL Key section.
DJ Ritmo 2:44 AM - 7 July, 2009
If the mix doesnt sound right when I cue it up then always move on to something that flows better. I dont mix in purposely but I think I naturally do it based on how the music sounds when its mixing together. If it sounds like ass or something is off with the melodies I just dont mix it.

whatever happened to using your ears and all that stuff alot of the forum members preach on here?
Audio1 4:11 AM - 7 July, 2009
The DJs with more experiencce arent the ones with these issues. Its more or less the younger/newer generation of DJs who are walking right into a DJ world full of gimmicks and gadgets... I dont blame some DJs for not wanting to learn the basics. They can just pay $50 for a program to tell em whats right or wrong. MIK is a great program but only gets the keys right about 50% of the time. Your ear is the ultimate key finder.
Audio1 4:11 AM - 7 July, 2009
The same for RE2. Only works so much of the time.
DeezNotes 2:06 PM - 7 July, 2009
Quote:
You have to set it up within Mixed In Key. I usually have mine on the Comments section, tho on 1.9.1, Ive been able to add them to the SSL Key section.

Options are:
- in front of artists name
- end of song name
- in front of comments
- overwrite comments

as well as

- update initialkey tag (Key tag column in SSL)
DVDjHardy 3:05 PM - 7 July, 2009
Quote:
Does mik work on aiff files?

yes.
Quote:
Also, what field does it show up in ? Grouping?

^what deez said.
Twilight Notes 5:55 PM - 7 July, 2009
Thanks- is that only the newest version of mik? I have 2.8 but I don't reme,ber ot being integrated with ssl.
dj_soo 6:09 PM - 7 July, 2009
Quote:
The DJs with more experiencce arent the ones with these issues. Its more or less the younger/newer generation of DJs who are walking right into a DJ world full of gimmicks and gadgets... I dont blame some DJs for not wanting to learn the basics. They can just pay $50 for a program to tell em whats right or wrong. MIK is a great program but only gets the keys right about 50% of the time. Your ear is the ultimate key finder.

this is the thing with djing that I just don't get. In almost any other art, flagrant refusal to actually learn the basics gets you ridiculed or at the very least stuck in some sort of fringe avant-garde niche. But in DJing, these people not only still find work, but often get booked over people who actually spend time perfecting their art.

Someone who can't tell they're trainwrecking every mix or mixing out of key should be akin to those idiots on American Idol who can't sing worth shit and should never make it out of their bedrooms.

And this is ultimately the problem with all theses gimmick programs that do shit for you. These kids who never learned off anything else are so used to the program doing it for them, they have no idea during that 40% of the time that the program is actually wrong...
Chad Pranke 1:09 AM - 8 July, 2009
Quote:
MIK is a great program but only gets the keys right about 50% of the time. Your ear is the ultimate key finder.

50% is pretty low. I've actually found it to be much higher, I think it depends on what type of music you are keying. FTR, what are you keying that your results are so low?