DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

dj contract with clubs

Dj1ofakind 2:36 AM - 6 April, 2017
so 2 weeks ago i signed a 30 day contract with a club here locally. so this past weekend was the start date given to me by the owners. witch are on contract (mar 31,Apr 1) $200 each night
now i read over this contract for a week before signing it. even requested some things be added.. witch were. so a week before open night (contract is signed at this point) i get a text from the the owners wife which is on the contract and i quote(we will not be open this weekend (march31,apr1) because the club has not recieved the TABC licence or the occupancy license. but i know i still have to pay you for those 2 days) i replied yes maam thats fine i will collect when i meet with yall this weekend.
Ok she said again the next day she says same thing pretty much confirming the same thing about TABC and paying me for those nights that are already booked. well Saturday i meet them for the 1st time expecting to get pd. and nothing i got an excuse about they have to wait till Monday or Tuesday because theyve hit there limit on pay pal and they dont have cash also keep in mind the live 6 hours away and the club is an hour away from my house.. so come Monday. nothing .tuesday i call and text and no rply till 7pm that i need to call her husband at this time i sent the invoices that she asked for. then today they hit me with line 13 on the contract ( neither club xxxx nor dj (me) is liable for failure to perform under this agreement where the failure is caused by forces beyond the control of dj or club as the case may be include but not limited to government actions. illness , disabilty or weather blah blah blah... now tru.. they dont have control over TABC but they did have control over the start dates and DATES booked on the contract and they assumed the open date wrong . so with all that whats my next step.. PLZ HELP>>>>>
Tommy Deem 3:37 PM - 6 April, 2017
This isn't legal department...
Dj1ofakind 4:15 PM - 6 April, 2017
Sorry seen some post about contracts. Was wandering if anyone had this experience before with club contracts
Culprit 7:58 AM - 7 April, 2017
Small claims court
Rebelguy 1:14 PM - 7 April, 2017
Learn to use spell check on your computer and accept their response. If they screw you over the next date then tell them the contract is void and walk away. You can try small claims but will probably lose given the wording on the contract.
djbasilsealy 3:58 PM - 7 April, 2017
My suggestion to you is to always read the contract thoroughly before signing, and that goes for anything in life.
Having over 30 years in the industry I suggest you count your loses and move on from this opportunity before you get really screwed.
If they are already pulling clauses out of he contract and you have not even played yet looks like REAL TROUBLE to me.!!

I think any experienced DJ in the Forum would tell you the same! Everybody in the DJ business will get screwed over at some point in their career.

I get this may be your first big opportunity but trust me if it starts bad it will end bad.

Best of Luck
Mr. Goodkat 10:57 PM - 7 April, 2017
anytime a club says they're gonna open on a certain date, they are usually a month(to 3 months) out - dont sign any contracts until its open or has all of its licenses.

charge this to the game and just dont work for them. if they do this now, wait til you play on a nite with 10 ppl at the club. guarantee they wont pay or will want you to play for half or less
Laz219 11:18 AM - 8 April, 2017
Quote:

charge this to the game and just dont work for them. if they do this now, wait til you play on a nite with 10 ppl at the club. guarantee they wont pay or will want you to play for half or less

This.

The DJ becomes the bottom rung on the pay scale when a night goes badly,
That's if they don't blame you for having a bad night and it being your fault nobody was there.
Heard that enough times now.
Dj1ofakind 4:02 AM - 10 April, 2017
everyone thank you for your responses. i will be terminating this contract via certified letter,text phone call, and also in person just to be clear.. and i am booked regularly so it didnt really effect any income. but yes this contract was only a 30 day (trial contract) which im glad it wasnt any longer, but yes ive had my share of (we didnt sale enough tickets,or the (twerk contest) winner gets 500 but wanna pay the dj 75 and bar tab($200 night) lol..again everyone thank you for your input
Taipanic 6:58 PM - 11 April, 2017
Probably not much of a legal recourse. You can eat they pay for shifts you didn't work and keep the gig, or walk away from the gig.
Good3go85 3:39 PM - 15 April, 2017
GET PAID BEFORE PRESS PLAY!