Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Recording Resources and Crash Potential

Dj Stylz-1 4:20 PM - 5 April, 2017
First off, I did try looking for a thread in regard to what i'm about to ask, so feel free to direct me.

I have been a bit skeptical about recording during my live set however, recording through Serato seems to allow for a pretty good recording. My only worry is that having the recording in the background might cause a crash. I have a solid Friday and Saturday night gig and want to be sure I don't jeopardize it.

I guess i'm looking for some comfort/confidence that I can use this function without putting strain on the program itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comp Specs:
MacBook Pro (Mid 2014)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB Ram
Sierra with Serato 1.9.5
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:37 PM - 5 April, 2017
Audacity
Dj Stylz-1 4:46 PM - 5 April, 2017
Are you suggesting that I bring another laptop to record? Or that Audacity uses very little resources on the computer?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:47 PM - 5 April, 2017
Little resources. I mean you have 16GB RAM you should have no problem
Dj Stylz-1 4:49 PM - 5 April, 2017
Thanks for the info,

How do you set audacity to record?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:50 PM - 5 April, 2017
Just set it to your soundcard. Very simple
Dj Stylz-1 4:52 PM - 5 April, 2017
Can you go through your process of recording your mixes? Do you set it at a certain level and normalize after? I used this program long ago, and my MIC gets recorded and often times it caused the recording to clip.
DJ Frank Stallone 7:57 PM - 5 April, 2017
This has been an ongoing issue. Why can't Serato just fix this??
Dj Stylz-1 8:00 PM - 5 April, 2017
What is the ongoing issue?
DJ Tecniq 8:03 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comp Specs:
MacBook Pro (Mid 2014)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB Ram
Sierra with Serato 1.9.5
I have this exact laptop it's an i7 with 16 gigs ram that laptop is a beast you don't need to use audacity? Just record with SDJ? I have no problems and I stream and record my set with fb live. That computer should use no more than 15% CPU with Serato it is top of the line.
Dj Stylz-1 8:44 PM - 5 April, 2017
Thanks @djtecniq. Does your computer/serato freeze for a moment when the file has reached it maximum? I think it records a little over 2 hours if i'm not mistaken. When it's processing the file, it seems to freeze for a second (thankfully the music doesn't cut out). I only know this because I've done while practicing.
DJ Tecniq 9:56 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Thanks @djtecniq. Does your computer/serato freeze for a moment when the file has reached it maximum? I think it records a little over 2 hours if i'm not mistaken. When it's processing the file, it seems to freeze for a second (thankfully the music doesn't cut out). I only know this because I've done while practicing.
haven't noticed however I'm using Yosemite not Sierra and did a recording of an hour.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:12 PM - 5 April, 2017
Hey there,

Plenty of us record inside Serato DJ with no issue. I use a computer less powerful than yours and run a small buffer size and record with no dropouts. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Quote:
This has been an ongoing issue. Why can't Serato just fix this??

What ongoing issue are you referring to? I'm intrigued.

Cheers.
DJ Frank Stallone 11:20 PM - 5 April, 2017
I find that you have to record at a very low level or experience distortion. Then I amplify using Audacity. Not sure why it distorts so easily. Am I the only one experiencing this??
Laz219 12:37 AM - 6 April, 2017
I'm on a 2012 non retina MBP and record through SDJ without any issue.
Dj Stylz-1 2:17 PM - 6 April, 2017
Ok this is good to know! I've always been so confused with recording. Honestly just looking for the best way to record a mix and post it/ share with friends. I think I'll try it during the first two hours and see how it goes. Thank you to everyone who chimed in here.

Quote:
I find that you have to record at a very low level or experience distortion. Then I amplify using Audacity. Not sure why it distorts so easily. Am I the only one experiencing this??

When I have used SDJ to record (at home anyway), I haven't experienced this. Even when my mic has made the master volume red line, it still didn't distort on the recording. I was definitely expecting it to.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:42 AM - 7 April, 2017
Quote:

Nope, haven't experienced this at all. Feel free to hit up our support channels if you want to look at the issue further.

Cheers.
DJ Tecniq 11:48 AM - 7 April, 2017
I have noticed in my SDJ recordings they sound flatter than other music. For example when I play any song other than a mix through my card Bluetooth it just has more "umph" to it. More bassy and punchy but the recording is not? Is this because the limiter or auto gain?
DJ Tecniq 11:48 AM - 7 April, 2017
Car I meant*
Dj Stylz-1 6:17 PM - 25 May, 2017
Wanted to provide an update. I have had 0 issues when recording from Serato. Thanks for the confidence!
mixgoonie 7:27 AM - 26 May, 2017
I do agree with DJ Tecniq and i have seen many posts on the topic, the internal recording is fine BUT basses are slightly reduced and the high frequencies are a bit more developed.

If you have a good soundcard in your miidi controller (Since f***ing serato doesn't allow external soundcards), recording external is really advised.