Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Using the Pioneer DDJSB2 as audio card in other software?

DJ Tecniq 10:22 PM - 4 April, 2017
Trying to record video/audio stream with OBS (open broadcast software) when I choose the SB2 as the audio source it doesn't record any sound? Is this because the SB2 is strictly used for SDJ? Thanks for any help.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 1:50 AM - 5 April, 2017
Hey man,

Are you trying to DJ on the SB-2 then use the SB-2 as the audio input for OBS at the same time?
DJ Tecniq 6:02 AM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Hey man,

Are you trying to DJ on the SB-2 then use the SB-2 as the audio input for OBS at the same time?
Yes shouldn't this work? My rca to 1/4 is connected from controller to monitors but since the SB2 is a USB audio card OBS should be able to capture the audio? Or is this not possible cause I don't have another booth/rec/channel output on the controller?
DJ Tecniq 6:06 AM - 5 April, 2017
My guess is it won't work because SDJ is using the audio card? What is interesting I am able to use Screenflow with my SB2 but I can't use the audio card as selection I'm able to use the "computer audio" option in Screenflow which is fine.
DJ Tecniq 6:08 AM - 5 April, 2017
What I'm trying to do is use OBS with Facebook live to stream my set with the SB2 but since my controller is only rca out and only one output it won't work?
Hanginon 12:27 PM - 5 April, 2017
Have you tried feeding the output of the SB2 into the mic/line input of the laptop to capture the audio? If that works, a couple of simple RCA "Y" connectors would allow you to do that, plus still listen to the output.
popnwave 3:19 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Have you tried feeding the output of the SB2 into the mic/line input of the laptop to capture the audio? If that works, a couple of simple RCA "Y" connectors would allow you to do that, plus still listen to the output.

Hmm my DDJ-SX shows up as an audio device in OBS with no problem..
Hanginon 4:02 PM - 5 April, 2017
A few caveats if you try feeding audio back to the laptop -

1) It works best on older PC laptops with 2 separate 1/8" jacks, one for "mic/line in" and one for "headphones out".

2) Ground loop noise. Lots of current on the USB connector ground to the laptop. Be prepared to cut some grounds off of the RCA connectors back to the laptop.
DJ Tecniq 5:07 PM - 5 April, 2017
Mine is a mid 2014 MacBook Pro with only headphone port it is not switchable like the older Macs. However the SB2 does show up in OBS as a recording device but no audio is being recorded or sent through OBS? My only suggestion I may need a USB/mic adapter. I've tried running an audio cable from my headphone out on SB2 then into my laptop but no go it just records microphone quality👎🏼
DJ Tecniq 5:07 PM - 5 April, 2017
Aux cable*
DJ Tecniq 5:09 PM - 5 April, 2017
I have ordered this as a solution so hopefully it will work www.amazon.com
DJ Tecniq 5:11 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
my rca output is already being used for my KRK monitors.
popnwave 5:27 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Man, the more I read about folks needing things like this the more I know I need a Thunderbolt dock with proper IN/OUT when I upgrade my 2012.
DJ Tecniq 7:03 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, the more I read about folks needing things like this the more I know I need a Thunderbolt dock with proper IN/OUT when I upgrade my 2012.
Well here's the worst part I also use my Pioneer S9 with OBS and no matter what OBS will not record the audio in relative mode without recording the control tone over audio with it. Internal mode works but then you can't use your decks so it's pointless so instead I have to use my behringer UCA 222 USB audio interface. I run the RCA's to the master rca on mixer and into the rca input on the device and into USB. Viola! OBS records the audio from the card. It's just crazy that I have to use another sound card just to record a audio/video stream or record and clip of me DJ'ing. And a rca to 3.5 aux cord won't work either cause my Mac has no line-in so it's a bit of headache.
DJ Tecniq 7:06 PM - 5 April, 2017
You would think a $1700 Pioneer mixer would work as a soundcard in other software. Is it a Pioneer/SDJ limitation or OBS? I have no clue but have yet to figure it out.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 10:46 PM - 5 April, 2017
Hey.

While some drivers may allow multiple connections we do not support multiple audio connections in Serato DJ and you could encounter audio quality issues if you try to perform using this setup.

I would suggest routing the audio out of your hardware via cable.
DJ Tecniq 10:56 PM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Hey.

While some drivers may allow multiple connections we do not support multiple audio connections in Serato DJ and you could encounter audio quality issues if you try to perform using this setup.

Yeah that's what I do with the S9 by using an ext USB midi audio interface. As for the SB2 it's not possible. So in reality it is a SDJ limitation.
DJ Tecniq 1:17 AM - 6 April, 2017
So I pulled out my old 2010 MacBook Pro which has line-in audio. Ran a 3.5 aux cable from the sb2's 3.5 mm stereo headphone out and into the line in on laptop..the results viola it worked! However since it's such an outdated machine the video feed was minutes behind the audio so it was synced up. But it's a solution for those with newer machines w/line-in audio using OBS.
Hanginon 12:02 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:

I actually do this, but for a different reason - to overcome Serato DJ's limitation of not having a dedicated pre-listen function. For some reason, they think adding this to the software is going to open Pandora's Box.

By feeding my controller's headphone output back into my laptop, and having my headphones connected to my laptop (instead of the controller), it becomes real easy to pre-listen to files using "Cntrl O", which turns on my laptops default audio player (I use Foobar because of it's small footprint).

I can que up songs in all the decks, don't have to de-que or re-que anything, no worries about accidentally showing the song as played, and easily pre-listen to more songs. Once I find what I want using Foobar, I hit "Cntrl P" twice, and it's in Prepare. In short, you now have a pre-listen function that works like all the other major DJ software's.

You don't need this if you're just mixing to death a dozen songs, but if you're a mobile DJ with a 10K plus library, this can be a lifesaver when you're jammed up.
popnwave 3:28 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
So I pulled out my old 2010 MacBook Pro which has line-in audio. Ran a 3.5 aux cable from the sb2's 3.5 mm stereo headphone out and into the line in on laptop..the results viola it worked! However since it's such an outdated machine the video feed was minutes behind the audio so it was synced up. But it's a solution for those with newer machines w/line-in audio using OBS.

You can tighten that up with which output you're using to feed video to OBS. If you select the SV/ME output window for it's video feed, I even get sync issues on my 2012. However, if I am outputting fullscreen to an extended desktop it does just fine if the whole second desktop is the video feed.
DJ Tecniq 4:30 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

You can tighten that up with which output you're using to feed video to OBS. If you select the SV/ME output window for it's video feed, I even get sync issues on my 2012. However, if I am outputting fullscreen to an extended desktop it does just fine if the whole second desktop is the video feed.
In OBS I just use display capture and record off the videomix screen (2nd display) if you choose the output window in OBS there will be a huge delay which I don't suggest but display capture is the key. I also found out it's very easy to sync audio with video in screen flow so that's another option.