Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Setup CDJ 2000

Bijt-ijs 3:37 PM - 4 April, 2017
So I have one of my first gigs in a couple of weeks. There will be 2 cdj's 2000 and some old mixer. I'm gonna be using serato dj as software on my laptop. So I need to be sure it works when I get there. What do I need to do exactly to make sure of this? I've read that HID mode is the easiest to setup? So I just plug the 2 cdj's into usb's and it's good to go or ... ?
Tommy Deem 5:08 PM - 4 April, 2017
Bijt-ijs 5:27 PM - 4 April, 2017

Yes I have seen this video, but he is using some sort of box, while others don't mention this. This is actually one of the reasons I'm asking this here :p
Tommy Deem 5:33 PM - 4 April, 2017
To use serato dj with hid devices u need serato Dj soundcard. like mixer with serato dj soundcard or rane sl box or denon box. This information is included on that video also. "Connect ur serato hardware directly to ur laptop and cdj's on usb hub"
Bijt-ijs 5:41 PM - 4 April, 2017
Quote:
To use serato dj with hid devices u need serato Dj soundcard. like mixer with serato dj soundcard or rane sl box or denon box. This information is included on that video also. "Connect ur serato hardware directly to ur laptop and cdj's on usb hub"

You HAVE to use one of these? Because other tutorials don't really mentions this, and the cdj's have their own soundcard?
Tommy Deem 8:12 PM - 4 April, 2017
Serato accesories need serato mixer or interface to work. Simple as that.
Tommy Deem 8:13 PM - 4 April, 2017
And are cdj soundcards serato interface or mixer??
Laz219 2:07 AM - 5 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

You HAVE to use one of these? Because other tutorials don't really mentions this, and the cdj's have their own soundcard?

Yep,
Serato will not route audio through the CDJs on it's own- you'll still need an interface to make it work. The CDJs essentially just become MIDI controllers for the software.
I'm guessing the 'some old mixer' won't be a clubkit enabled mixer or a Rane SDJ mixer...so you'll need an interface (SL2, SL3, SL4 or DS1)
DJ JulioYEG 2:08 AM - 8 April, 2017
Quote:
So I have one of my first gigs in a couple of weeks. There will be 2 cdj's 2000 and some old mixer. I'm gonna be using Serato dj as software on my laptop. So I need to be sure it works when I get there. What do I need to do exactly to make sure of this? I've read that HID mode is the easiest to setup? So I just plug the 2 cdj's into usb's and it's good to go or ... ?

please specify what mixer is there and also if you own a sl box because it is needed when you use cdjs in hid mode sound is carried through the usb into the computer and then xlr or booth outs from the mixer, the mixer must be a serato ready mixer or a upgrade ready mixer depending on if u have the full serato license
reif99 2:07 PM - 18 April, 2017
Just do timecode
Tommy Deem 8:53 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
Just do timecode

How he should use timecodes with serato when he don't have serato dvs hardware??
DJ JulioYEG 10:56 PM - 19 April, 2017
Quote:
Just do timecode

if he can use hid mode depends on his mixer and he hasnt specified if he has a sl box so i think he should use usbs drives with record box and bring a ethernet
Laz219 11:02 PM - 19 April, 2017
Between the lines he did say he doesn't have an interface ("using some sort of box")

From another thread the OP made on the same topic, he has neither an interface or a club kit mixer to use.
acemc 12:28 AM - 21 August, 2018
Can someone please help clarify this for me.
I will be using 2 x CDJ2000's + DJM700 + SL2 at the club.
I will be using 2 x STR8-150's + DJM700 + SL2 for private gigs.
I'm about to purchase a SL2, what I need to know before I do this is:
1) When the SL2 & Cdj's are all connected to my Mac via usb, do I still need to route the cdj RCA cables through the SL2 & back to the mixer, or will the audio route through the cdj's?
2) If I still have to route the RCA's through the SL2, what happens when other dj's want to play usb drives on the cdj's, will I then have to unplug & replug the RCA's all the time?
3) Does the SL2 automatically unlock DVS functionality or do I still have to buy the DVS expansion pack.
4) Are there any tutorials or manuals listing the way the 2000's are mapped to serato?
In the video linked above, it shows a 2000NXS which has a slip, sync & master buttons etc..
Many buttons that the 2000 doesn't have, I'd like to know how to activate auto loops (who does manual in & out nowdays) & enable slip & quantize etc... Where would I find this info?
Thanks in advance.
boo-lee 1:55 PM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
I'm about to purchase a SL2, what I need to know before I do this is:

Have you considered buying the Denon DJ DS1 Serato DVS box? It's a lot cheaper.

Quote:
1) When the SL2 & Cdj's are all connected to my Mac via usb, do I still need to route the cdj RCA cables through the SL2 & back to the mixer, or will the audio route through the cdj's?

You do not need to connect RCA cables between the CDJ's and the SL2 unless you want to play regular music cd's through Serato. As mentioned before, Serato uses your CDJ's just to send and receive control signals, not for actual audio.

Quote:
2) If I still have to route the RCA's through the SL2, what happens when other dj's want to play usb drives on the cdj's, will I then have to unplug & replug the RCA's all the time?

You can connect the CDJ's RCA outputs to two other inputs on the mixer. That way you don't have to unplug & replug anything and you can disconnect your SL2 without interrupting the other dj's set.

Quote:
3) Does the SL2 automatically unlock DVS functionality or do I still have to buy the DVS expansion pack.

No, the SL2 (and the Denon DS1 for that matter) unlock Serato DJ Pro + DVS.

Quote:
4) Are there any tutorials or manuals listing the way the 2000's are mapped to serato?
In the video linked above, it shows a 2000NXS which has a slip, sync & master buttons etc..
Many buttons that the 2000 doesn't have, I'd like to know how to activate auto loops (who does manual in & out nowdays) & enable slip & quantize etc... Where would I find this info?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can find a PDF document explaining the CDJ-2000 mappings here: serato.com

I use CDJ-2000's with a Pioneer DJM-250Mk2 mixer, a Denon DS1 box and an Akai AFX controller as my home setup. :)
acemc 6:07 PM - 22 August, 2018
@boo_lee
Wow!! Every single question answered on point!
Thanks a million for your help.
Oh btw, I'm getting a used SL2 for cheaper than the price of a DS1.
So I was thinking it's probably the better choice out of the 2.
Once again, thanks for your help.
Cheers!
boo-lee 6:33 PM - 22 August, 2018
You're welcome acemc!

I had similar questions about a year ago and it took a while to get them all answered.

If you can buy the SL2 for less than the DS1, go for it, they both do the job!
DJ JulioYEG 12:59 AM - 24 August, 2018
if you can get a 850 instead of the 700 and the sl2 and run the cdjs through hid mode instead