Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

VJing and DJing at the same time.

KateUptonNYC 2:32 PM - 27 March, 2017
For the past year or so I've exclusively been booked at private events as a VJ working alongside a DJ to do music videos that line up with the the music the DJ is playing. Lyric videos, original music videos, looped people dancing, select kid friendly movie scenes, all that stuff.

My boss is stepping up the production end by creating a "VJ setup" and is working alongside me to basically make my vision of a setup that we go out to parties and to pitch to clients.

That set-up was settled upon about a month ago and he is putting me out in the wild to do VJ and DJ work at the same time at parties for the first time this week. For what its worth, I guess its important to mention here that this is all for kids parties.

With the nature of the gigs in the past year when I got booked for VJ work only, I just use Serato Video since its quick easy, and I'm not mixing in audio unless its for a photo montage so I have not had to worry about much. I use MixEmergency for practice but never for performance.

I'm comfortable with the software but there are some small things that I'm unsure how to go about it.

On music that does not have video content I plan to cut back to the Logo of the party provided by the client. The only thing I'm unsure of is how to go about doing that on MixEmergency. Below I'll list my hardware setup for the hope of helping make sense of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Question is this: Is there a way in Mix Emergency to have a JPG set as the master filter that I can fade in and out at anytime? Currently I've been manually adding the JPG to the channel side not affected and cutting it to that side, however it would be nice to set a knob that I'm not using (i.e that Beats knob that I NEVER use) to a master filter to fabe a logo in or out as I please.

_____
Here is my controller and channel "config"

Channels 1 and 2 are Video Channels, where I mix music videos in and out.
Channels 3 and 4 are for audio tracks, so I can mix music in that does not have a music video associated to it.

All of the channels are set to Thru and XF Link is on.

It would be great to have a master filter of the logo for the party and adjust the opacity in and out when I cut to a track without audio. As I said I have the JPG ready to set to either side to do that but it would really solve an issue where sometimes in practice I would get stuff mixing on channel 1-3 or 2-4.

Thanks guys
popnwave 9:51 PM - 27 March, 2017
I think ME can do that easy peasy. Ask on the inklen.com forums and Nick will probably clarify it for you quickly (if someone here doesn't chime in first).
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:14 AM - 12 April, 2017
there is an overlay window in ME where you can load Quartz files, Text, Live video Jpeg.

I think that's what you are looking for.

Just load the image you want and map the wet/dry knob. There are other settings in the Overlay window too
KateUptonNYC 3:06 AM - 24 April, 2017
Quote:
there is an overlay window in ME where you can load Quartz files, Text, Live video Jpeg.

I think that's what you are looking for.

Just load the image you want and map the wet/dry knob. There are other settings in the Overlay window too

Yeah, turns out I was severely overcomplicating an incredibly easy thing to do.

I just have all of my channels set to Thru and use MixEmergency, which is a far superior platform for VJing IMO.

Took like...a 24 hours to really get it down.

I wish there was a physical button I could set to adjust image or quartz, but I use every push/knob combo on the controllers I take out for gigs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:04 AM - 24 April, 2017
you can buy a small midi controller.

I use a Numark Orbit. I use it to trigger Visual Samples and FX Sequences.
KateUptonNYC 4:25 PM - 24 April, 2017
Quote:

I can map that so it functions within Mix emergency while running SV?
KateUptonNYC 4:26 PM - 24 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I can map that so it functions within Mix emergency while running SV?

Serato DJ*
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:28 PM - 24 April, 2017
Yes you can.

I use a APC MINI
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:37 AM - 25 April, 2017
Quote:
Yes you can.

I use a APC MINI

Akai yeah? how are you getting on with that controller.

I had to return one I purchased, can't remember exactly what the issue was as it was a very long time ago.

I think they didn't have a Midi editor program.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:49 PM - 25 April, 2017
Well it sucks with ME because I could never get the lights to work but as far as a controller for Resolume it's pretty badass.