DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Let's talk upgrade or simply buying a newer macbook.

kvnkrz 5:41 PM - 14 March, 2017
What is up Djs

I'm currently and have been using my:
Macbook pro late 2011
Running 10.10.5 OSX yosemite
16 gb or ram
2.8 Ghz Intel i7
Graphics 512mb.
750 gb Hd with 350 free space.

I used to be on traktor for 7 years I recently switched to serato. Now the waveforms are not as smooth as a retina display(maybe the graphics card is better?)

anyways my latency is at 5 and the cpu is 5 6 pixels wide..

If i upgrade my SSD what difference will that make on serato dj ?
at this point upgrading to an SSD would it be better or eventually still would want to buy a newer mac? but the newer mac go for 3400$ CAD with the same if not better specs I have right now.
JDforKing 6:16 PM - 14 March, 2017
An ssd would make a world of difference
JDforKing 6:16 PM - 14 March, 2017
if you're only running Serato dj and no Serato video
kvnkrz 6:19 PM - 14 March, 2017
Quote:
An ssd would make a world of difference

Yap I think that's what going to happen!
popnwave 7:16 PM - 14 March, 2017
I agree SSD will give you some more legs.

I am holding off on upgrading my mid 2012 non retina a little longer. I'd like to move to a 2015 (and avoid the USB-C hiccups) but I'd have to move my library to external since I'd lose my 2TB in my optibay right now :(

But hey, in 24 months if the kinks are worked out the new models (2016+) just might be the ones to jump to.
Logisticalstyles 8:07 PM - 14 March, 2017
Quote:
I'd have to move my library to external since I'd lose my 2TB in my optibay right now

I'm seriously considering doing this myself. My main DJing laptop only has 500GB of space and that is running out quickly. I also have a 2016 Macbook Pro with Touchbar but it only has 256GB of space. I'd like to be able to just switch between laptops for DJing and the only way I can do that seamlessly is if I have all of my music on an external. I already have a 2TB external that I use for my videos and some music.

I'm trying to find the easiest , most efficient way to move all of my music to the external.
popnwave 10:30 PM - 14 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I'd have to move my library to external since I'd lose my 2TB in my optibay right now

I'm seriously considering doing this myself. My main DJing laptop only has 500GB of space and that is running out quickly. I also have a 2016 Macbook Pro with Touchbar but it only has 256GB of space. I'd like to be able to just switch between laptops for DJing and the only way I can do that seamlessly is if I have all of my music on an external. I already have a 2TB external that I use for my videos and some music.

I'm trying to find the easiest , most efficient way to move all of my music to the external.

I think I have resigned to dropping $200-250 on a Thunderbolt dock, then I have all of the ports I want (right now my controller and webcam take up the 2 USB and video out is using the Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport) and less stuff hanging directly off the laptop when DJing.
DJ_Interval 3:43 PM - 15 March, 2017
I think I have resigned to dropping $200-250 on a Thunderbolt dock, then I have all of the ports I want (right now my controller and webcam take up the 2 USB and video out is using the Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport) and less stuff hanging directly off the laptop when DJing.

So a thunderbolt dock will be able to handle all the data transfer for your controller, webcam, and video? I'm curious to know if many other DJs do this. It would be nice to free up 2 USB 3.0 slots.
DJ_Interval 3:45 PM - 15 March, 2017
was trying to quote the previous post.
popnwave 4:21 PM - 15 March, 2017
Yep, that's why the damn things are so expensive!
Logisticalstyles 6:12 PM - 15 March, 2017
I have this dock. It's cool for home use. It has enough USB 3.0 ports but not having HDMI kinda sucks.
www.startech.com

This dongle is cool for my mobile gigs but it only has 1 USB 3.0 port. I could buy a second one but it looks very cluttered with all of those hanging off of my laptop.
www.cablematters.com

I may try to find some decent USB-C cables and just do without the adapters.
popnwave 8:34 PM - 15 March, 2017
Quote:
I have this dock. It's cool for home use. It has enough USB 3.0 ports but not having HDMI kinda sucks.
www.startech.com

This dongle is cool for my mobile gigs but it only has 1 USB 3.0 port. I could buy a second one but it looks very cluttered with all of those hanging off of my laptop.
www.cablematters.com

I am looking at -eshop.macsales.com

And they have a nice Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C model coming out soon.
DJ_Interval 9:12 PM - 15 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
www.startech.com

www.cablematters.com

I am looking at -eshop.macsales.com

And they have a nice Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C model coming out soon.

Dope. I'm getting this.
kvnkrz 5:54 PM - 16 March, 2017
I have successfully updated my HD to a 1tb SSD it was a piece of cake with timemachine. Don't forget to deactivate your serato dj on the old HD before..

Incase you forget to when you load up your mac hold option while turning it on.

Once it is boot it up from the original HD and there you go :)
Mr. Goodkat 9:29 PM - 16 March, 2017
what im wondering is what am i looking at in terms of how long will i be able to use the 2012 mac.

if i continue to upgrade the hd, maintain the battery, keep tabs on the logic board, etc, what will be the component that fails. or most likely to fail?

i really want a new laptop, but i dont want the usb c thing yet, i want an optical drive for ripping cds (even though i might add a second ssd drive), and in general, i just like my laptop. I've always switched mixers(djm 500-ttm57-800-z2-900srt-rane 62), went from tts, to cds back to tts and have a controller, but i'm 100% fine with my 2012 basic laptop.
popnwave 9:39 PM - 16 March, 2017
Quote:
what im wondering is what am i looking at in terms of how long will i be able to use the 2012 mac.

if i continue to upgrade the hd, maintain the battery, keep tabs on the logic board, etc, what will be the component that fails. or most likely to fail?

i really want a new laptop, but i dont want the usb c thing yet, i want an optical drive for ripping cds (even though i might add a second ssd drive), and in general, i just like my laptop. I've always switched mixers(djm 500-ttm57-800-z2-900srt-rane 62), went from tts, to cds back to tts and have a controller, but i'm 100% fine with my 2012 basic laptop.

I'm riding my maxxed out (board wise) mid-2012. It does 1080p video mixing just fine, audio is no where near as intensive so unless there's controllers that come out that need more oomph you should be fine.

I think my next logical upgrade is an OWC Thunderbolt dock so I can expand storage past the 2TB I have in the optibay.
DJ_Interval 9:44 PM - 16 March, 2017
Because I have been having so much trouble with Serato and my MacBook pro (2010 Core duo) using a Rane SL2, I've been forced to upgrade to something slightly newer (2012 i7 MBP). I'm hoping that I will be ok for a while longer as well.

So my setup will consist of a 2012 MBP with i7, 8gb ram, 750 HD running DVS with SL2 and using a Pioneer DDJ-SP1.

I'm really hoping I don't have to upgrade any ram or HD in the near future. Currently installing Yosemite, and plan on running SDJ 1.7.8.
JDforKing 9:46 PM - 16 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I'm riding my maxxed out (board wise) mid-2012. It does 1080p video mixing just fine, audio is no where near as intensive so unless there's controllers that come out that need more oomph you should be fine.

I think my next logical upgrade is an OWC Thunderbolt dock so I can expand storage past the 2TB I have in the optibay.

Did you use the OWC data doubler for your expanded storage in your Macbook? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and had videos on my second hard drive in the optibay. After about a 3 years I started to have problems with the hard drive disappearing or disconnecting while djing. I decided to go back to using a firewire 800 external to store my videos but was unsure if my generic optibay was the problem or the hard drive itself.
JDforKing 9:47 PM - 16 March, 2017
*MacBook Pro
popnwave 10:15 PM - 16 March, 2017
Quote:

Did you use the OWC data doubler for your expanded storage in your Macbook? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and had videos on my second hard drive in the optibay. After about a 3 years I started to have problems with the hard drive disappearing or disconnecting while djing. I decided to go back to using a firewire 800 external to store my videos but was unsure if my generic optibay was the problem or the hard drive itself.

Sure did, and I do know that there were hiccups with those 2011 models and optibay use. I remember a lot of folks putting the BIG drive where the system drive was and putting the SSD in the optibay as a work around.
popnwave 10:16 PM - 16 March, 2017
Sure did: as in I do use the OWC data doubler, if that wasn't clear.
JDforKing 10:29 PM - 16 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Sure did, and I do know that there were hiccups with those 2011 models and optibay use. I remember a lot of folks putting the BIG drive where the system drive was and putting the SSD in the optibay as a work around.

It worked well for three years so I'm going to assume it was the hard drive but I'm purchasing the owc data doubler to give it a try
popnwave 10:31 PM - 16 March, 2017
Good thing is, yes the OWC bracket might be more than a generic one, but their support is pretty darn good. The quality of the hardware they sell is worth the piece of mind.
JDforKing 10:51 PM - 16 March, 2017
Quote:
Good thing is, yes the OWC bracket might be more than a generic one, but their support is pretty darn good. The quality of the hardware they sell is worth the piece of mind.

Ive purchased many things from them. It's currently $30 but it was $60 back when I bought the generic for $15
kvnkrz 3:23 PM - 12 July, 2017
Finally, after a few months.

I upgraded to a Samsung evo 850 1TB SSD.

AND WOOOOOOOOOOW.

Internet/videos doesn't give it justice!

Might consider upgrading for a newer and retina MacBookP until what year are they upgradable?

Anyone has the newers ones with usbC ?
popnwave 3:44 PM - 12 July, 2017
Mid 2012 non retina is the last of the easy upgrades. OWC does make upgrades for the newer models (up through 2015) but it's $600 for the 1TB drive. You're still stuck going external for everything else.
DJ GaFFle 4:26 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
Mid 2012 non retina is the last of the easy upgrades. OWC does make upgrades for the newer models (up through 2015) but it's $600 for the 1TB drive. You're still stuck going external for everything else.

So is going with a 2017 or upcoming 2018 model just bad news? What if you're fine with a 1TB internal SSD and maxing out a current Retina, touch-strip model's RAM?
popnwave 6:20 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:

So is going with a 2017 or upcoming 2018 model just bad news? What if you're fine with a 1TB internal SSD and maxing out a current Retina, touch-strip model's RAM?

You just have to fork out for the INTERNAL storage you want off the shelf. It's one of those things we deal with now.

Down the road there will probably be a way to upgrade the SSD, but as mentioned it's going to be pricey, it's not going to be cheaper than Apple like we used to be able to do.

That can make your purchase push the $4000 realm at this point.
Rebelguy 7:10 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:

Just did a quote on one today that was close to this price and my mind was blown.
kvnkrz 7:51 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Just did a quote on one today that was close to this price and my mind was blown.

yap same here.. I'm so happy with my 600$ MacBook i7 16gb and 1tb that cost me 500$..