Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Trouble to play videos

DJ PAULO VITA 7:30 PM - 11 March, 2017
Hi. I'm having trouble trying to play videos on Serato VJ.

My notebook has the following settings:
*Windows 7 (X64)
*Intel Core I7 2ghz
*4GB RAM DDR3
*GFORCE 840M NIVIDIA - DEDICATED PLATE

All the videos that I put, in any accepted format, will lock or display the black screen in the "output" window.
Sometimes it crashes so hard that I need to access the Windows task manager and shut down Serato Video over there.

I would like to know the ideal setting for playing the videos, as well as the best formats, since the instructions and guidelines for using the "Handbrake" were not enough to end with my problem.

If you need more information, I'm at your disposal.
DJ PAULO VITA 7:56 PM - 11 March, 2017
I'm doing some tests to convert files by "Handbrake", but the conversions are very time consuming. If anyone knows the correct format, I will use other software for conversion.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:33 AM - 19 March, 2017
I'm not an expert but for starters you can try to add more RAM to your laptop. 16gb RAM seems to be general consensus.

Another common knowledge is that Virtual DJ works better than Serato for video or karaoke on Windows.

If you are serious about video djing with Serato, then you should consider getting a macbook-pro 15 with the dedicated NVIDIA video card. Any 15 inch from 2012 to date will do. Does not have to be the latest and greatest machine. Jury is still out on this 2016 machines.
DJ PAULO VITA 12:54 AM - 20 March, 2017
OK thank you.

I will try to put more RAM to see if the problem is over, since it is not in my plans to buy a macbook now.

Besides I spent a lot with Serato VJ and would like to use it to take advantage of all the features that the DDJ-SX provides.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:24 PM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
I'm doing some tests to convert files by "Handbrake", but the conversions are very time consuming. If anyone knows the correct format, I will use other software for conversion.

Why not join a video pool?

I reckon the conversion time will depend on the specs of your system with Handbrake.

Takes me about 4 mins to covert an HD video on my mac. I only do videos that the post don't have such as Afrobeats and other non mainstream stuff.

And that's not taking into consideration the initial audio remuxing and edits I have to do in final cut pro. I always replace the audio with the best quality I can find.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:24 PM - 20 March, 2017
I use a Macbook pro.