DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

shots fired? Pioneer DJM 250 MK2 - 2 channel Rekordbox DVS mixer for $350

dj_soo 2:14 AM - 2 March, 2017
djtechtools.com

In addition to full access to Rekordbox DJ and the DVS plugin, it also includes maglev crossfader and balanced XLR outputs.

Wonder if we'll see Serato support on it one day, but even then - that's still a $150 club kit required to use it.

Seems very much like a mixer meant to entice DJs to Rekordbox DVS at a ridiculous price point.
DylanVE 3:15 AM - 2 March, 2017
It amazes me that there still isn't any mid-range 2 channel SDJ mixers out there. Sure there's the Duo, but its still fairly expensive considering it's lack of features.
SwiftRhythm 7:44 PM - 16 March, 2017
I'm picking one up. Why not? Full DVS, Ease of setup & XLR outputs!!! While I prefer Serato, there is nothing wrong with Rekordbox.
Mr. Goodkat 8:19 PM - 16 March, 2017
i dont know why 2 channel mixers seem quicker, but for some reason mentally i like em over 4 channel mixer. this does seem like a pretty good option for the price
tariq 12:37 AM - 4 April, 2017
I think over the next few years you might see a decline in Serato if they don't bring out some lower budget mixers. I just got the DJM750 for about $600US brand new. It's incredible. I always loved the 57sl but just couldn't justify one of the newer models.
Laz219 1:12 AM - 4 April, 2017
Quote:
I think over the next few years you might see a decline in Serato if they don't bring out some lower budget mixers. I just got the DJM750 for about $600US brand new. It's incredible. I always loved the 57sl but just couldn't justify one of the newer models.

Unless Serato start manufacturing their own hardware, this isn't really their choice.
Despo 10:09 AM - 4 April, 2017
Quote:
i dont know why 2 channel mixers seem quicker, but for some reason mentally i like em over 4 channel mixer. this does seem like a pretty good option for the price

That's because you're mostly only mixing 2 decks anyways, the mixer takes less space and the buttons are more nicely spread out on the surface on the mixer. And beat juggling is actually possible due to the smaller size between your turntables, you can do cuts with the line faders without bumping other shit. There's a plethora of reasons I prefer 2 channel mixers over 4 channels. I ESPECIALLY HATE 4 CHANNEL DJM MIXERS FUCK THOSE

Quote:

Unless Serato start manufacturing their own hardware, this isn't really their choice.

They could just slap club kit support on the DJM 250, but for some reason serato can't or is unwilling to sell us or let us use a 2 channel mixer that costs under 1000 bucks. It's really really stupid.

Honestly they should just up the price a little for a "club kit+" that let's you use ANY sound card on any mixer, I would pay a lot for that. Imagine using a Traktor Z2 with SDJ via usb.
Mr. Goodkat 4:02 PM - 4 April, 2017
Quote:
I ESPECIALLY HATE 4 CHANNEL DJM MIXERS FUCK THOSE

i always compare it to a suburban to a sports car.

ive actually got really comfortable with a djm 900 but id still rather a 2 channel rane
Laz219 1:17 AM - 5 April, 2017
Never been a fan of DJMs either, I'll happily use them but I would never actually buy one for myself.

That's not really how club kit support works though, it's not just Serato picking and choosing which mixers they want to support. Compared to something like VDJ who just work out their own support for it with little or no involvement from the manufacturer- Serato only put the support on mixers they've worked with the manfacturer to test and support.
Pioneer have made a pretty big impact purely as a cheap rekordbox DVS enabled mixer, so I doubt they'd be trying to get Serato to support it when they can use it as a cheap entry point to get more people onto their own software.
Mr. Goodkat 3:53 AM - 5 April, 2017
wish they could get one of those q bert mixers or dj tech for under 500
bkdude 5:38 AM - 10 April, 2017
If y'all could help me answer this though...Would you still be able to use an SL3 with this mixer when you wanted to?
Mr. Goodkat 7:03 PM - 10 April, 2017
yes
bkdude 9:40 PM - 10 April, 2017
Thanks. Preciate that yo.
DJ Jam-Is-On 5:14 PM - 14 April, 2017
Will it work with an SL2 box? And if so will the features of the mixer itself work the same? Meaning the channel filters and stuff?
DJ BreeL 1:38 PM - 29 May, 2017
Would it be ok to plug my laptop into the line jack opposed to USB if I wanted to use a program other than Rekordbox? In other words, can this just be used as a standard mixer, considering the USB port sound card?
DJ Irv 2:54 PM - 29 May, 2017
250 for a mixer with a magnetic crossfader and DVS. There's no way this won't make a dent in the DVS market.
DJ BreeL 3:05 PM - 29 May, 2017
So, it's worth it or no? Or Roland 99? It's in the budget at the moment. My mixer blew over the weekend. I just need to know if it's ok to use without Rekordbox, just as a standard mixer.
goldarn 5:22 PM - 29 May, 2017
Quote:
250 for a mixer with a magnetic crossfader and DVS. There's no way this won't make a dent in the DVS market.

wow, thats pretty impressive. I'd definitely look at one. The only reason I own Rane is cause I worked there, never could of afforded one.
DJ Irv 5:45 PM - 29 May, 2017
My bad $350. Still a great deal.
kip 11:12 PM - 29 May, 2017
Quote:
Would it be ok to plug my laptop into the line jack opposed to USB if I wanted to use a program other than Rekordbox?

Yes. What program? You can plug your laptop in usb even if you don't use recordbox.
dj_soo 5:14 AM - 30 May, 2017
won't be able to use DVS tho
kip 4:06 PM - 30 May, 2017
Quote:
won't be able to use DVS tho

Why not? There are free dvs programs.
Dj Classic One 5:53 AM - 13 June, 2017
Please I need a straight and forward answer, will the DJM 250 MK2 work with Serato Dj
Despo 7:41 AM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Please I need a straight and forward answer, will the DJM 250 MK2 work with Serato Dj

no
Dj Classic One 11:12 PM - 13 June, 2017
So I guess adding a SL2 interface box will not help as well
pdidy 1:15 AM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
So I guess adding a SL2 interface box will not help as well

Yes it can be used with and sl2 box but some would argue that it defeats the purpose/reason for choosing this mixer.
dj_soo 3:21 AM - 14 June, 2017
considering it's only $350, it's only about $150 more than a DJ Tech DIF-1 and it includes XLR outputs and dedicated filters per channel on top of the included DVS support.

DJ Tech has a nicer fader tho.
Culprit 7:23 AM - 16 June, 2017
It includes Rekordbox DJ with DVS License so it's DVS ready.
DJROBOMIX 4:22 AM - 27 June, 2017
It works with serato dj?
GusGomez 7:59 PM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
It includes Rekordbox DJ with DVS License so it's DVS ready.

You still need to find somewhere those illusive Rekordbox DJ Control Vinyl though
dj_soo 11:27 PM - 27 June, 2017
pretty sure Serato records work
GusGomez 2:19 PM - 28 June, 2017
Quote:

Inconsistent tracking though
Vee Kay 8:20 PM - 29 June, 2017
I'm also thinking of making the switch to the djm 250mk2. I was looking at the mixars duo (simply due to the fact that I already run serato) but as price is an important option for a "bedroom dj" this is looking very appealing.
£320 for a well built, well know brand mixer with decent crossfader, rekordbox dj license that's also dvs ready and a pair of rekordbox control vinyls.
Compared to £700 for the duo. OK, the duo's serato dvs ready, but it's still a relatively new brand (unknown entity) and twice the price !!
Yes it's got a few pads down the sides for hot cues / samples etc that the djm doesn't have BUT let's face it.... most of us have an sp1 or a pair of dicers anyway for those functions.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the 250mk2, that could give me any pros and more importantly cons before I lay out the cash on one ?
Culprit 6:04 AM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Inconsistent tracking though

Hey Gus,

I spoke with a pioneer representative at NAMM 17 who told me to keep my serato records and use them with Rekordbox DJ and I should have zero issues.
goldarn 3:55 PM - 3 July, 2017
I wonder if there is a better speed for better tracking, 33 or 45?
Chris Deluxe 4:51 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:

Hey Gus,

I spoke with a pioneer representative at NAMM 17 who told me to keep my serato records and use them with Rekordbox DJ and I should have zero issues.

They do work, but the tracking is not good. LOTS of sticker drift. All tracking problems disappear when you use rekordbox vinyl.
Laz219 8:51 PM - 3 July, 2017
Good to know - I trialled Rekordbox DVS with my SL3/SSL TCVs and I thought it was horrible. The sticker was drifting about 1/8 on every rotation.
Culprit 12:27 AM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Gus,

They do work, but the tracking is not good. LOTS of sticker drift. All tracking problems disappear when you use rekordbox vinyl.

understood, thanks for the tip.
djkool978 5:47 PM - 24 August, 2017
just got one today , its a pretty solid little mixer nicely laid out. i tried the rekordbox dvs with a pair of old cdj-800 mk2's and it worked perfectly. the only thing i found was the red and
white phono connectors have to go into the right sockets on the mixer if you put them in the other way round (ie white into red ) the cdj plays only in reverse !!
Logisticalstyles 7:50 PM - 24 August, 2017
Quote:
the only thing i found was the red and
white phono connectors have to go into the right sockets on the mixer if you put them in the other way round (ie white into red ) the cdj plays only in reverse !!

That happens with Serato interfaces and mixers as well.
kip 10:55 PM - 24 August, 2017
There has to be some phase setting in the Rekordbox.
MrLode 9:46 PM - 26 August, 2017
If someone could answer me this I would be deeply thankful.
If i were to purchase this
www.thediscdjstore.com
apart from other obvious hardware such as 2x Turntables, speaker and a laptop.
What other hardware / software would i need to start playing?
Many thanks
Mr Lode
MrLode 9:48 PM - 26 August, 2017
Quote:
If someone could answer me this I would be deeply thankful.
If i were to purchase this
www.thediscdjstore.com
apart from other obvious hardware such as 2x Turntables, speaker and a laptop.
What other hardware / software would i need to start playing?
Many thanks
Mr Lode

Pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted to double check
dj_soo 10:46 PM - 26 August, 2017
you'd just need control vinyl and cartridges/needles.
MrLode 12:44 AM - 27 August, 2017
Quote:

So no extra traktor scratch or rane. Literally good to go if i have working turntables already? plus the control vinyl?
Mr. Goodkat 1:59 AM - 27 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

So no extra traktor scratch or rane. Literally good to go if i have working turntables already? plus the control vinyl?

you would have to use rekordbox for dvs(records).

you could probably use traktor without dvs(ie internal mode only)
dj_soo 2:18 AM - 27 August, 2017
it only works with rekordbox DJ. You'd need a box if you want to use serato or traktor dvs
Mr. Goodkat 3:11 AM - 27 August, 2017
couldnt you use it with just a controller and the sound card though? (w/ traktor)
dj_soo 12:53 AM - 28 August, 2017
Yea - that's why I said "DVS"
kip 7:57 AM - 28 August, 2017
Will it work with Mixvibes dvs or Mixxx or DPP?
Mr. Goodkat 6:33 PM - 28 August, 2017
website says cross dj will

'It’s like having every MP3 pressed on a record.
Cross can be controlled using timecode vinyl records or CDs.
Get the feel of real records with all the benefits of digital.
Plug & play system.
1300 Hz timecode for accurate scratching.
Absolute and relative modes.
Typical DVS setup.
Requires 2 timecode records + soundcard.
Also works with CD.

Works with any soundcard. Even NI and Rane.'
kip 3:04 AM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
website says cross dj will

That was before djm250mk2 was released. I read something like the dvs might be locked to Rekordbox only.
MrLode 12:12 AM - 31 August, 2017
I have one more question please before I order this.
If I was playing a tune via the dvs and rekordbox on turntable a, would i be able to mix in a standard vinyl on turntable b? I feel that because of the laptop/ line button this wouldnt be possible? any help ?
Gio Alex 1:40 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
I have one more question please before I order this.
If I was playing a tune via the dvs and rekordbox on turntable a, would i be able to mix in a standard vinyl on turntable b? I feel that because of the laptop/ line button this wouldnt be possible? any help ?

Yes, it's still a regular mixer. It has a computer/line/phone switch, so you can go back and forth from dvs to vinyl.
Gio Alex 1:44 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
If I was playing a tune via the dvs and rekordbox on turntable a, would i be able to mix in a standard vinyl on turntable b?

I know this works fine with Serato Mixers. For instance on the 57 you have one switch on Digital and the other on Analog. That was the easy way of switching out back in the day, just bring a couple vinyl records. I don't see why this would be any different, but it's rekordbox so I'm not 100 sure. I'd imagine you would just switch to phono.
sl1200 9:07 AM - 7 September, 2017
Despo 11:38 AM - 7 September, 2017
wtf why not simply give club kit support for the existing 250mk2
Qbaas 1:13 PM - 7 September, 2017
Because this one has blue lights and a Serato sticker (and €550 instead of €350)
Gio Alex 2:01 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
DJM-S3

www.pioneerdj.com

Damn, at least throw 4 midi buttons on it, AT LEAST lol - back in the day we were using serato to strictly mix as a vinyl alternative. Now people use all sorts of buttons, short cuts, cue points, and FX. You'll still need a controller. I thought we moved passed this and started including the features on the mixer.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:06 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
DJM-S3

www.pioneerdj.com

Damn, at least throw 4 midi buttons on it, AT LEAST lol - back in the day we were using serato to strictly mix as a vinyl alternative. Now people use all sorts of buttons, short cuts, cue points, and FX. You'll still need a controller. I thought we moved passed this and started including the features on the mixer.

Yeah but most of us already Dicers or an SP1 or something along those lines.
Gio Alex 2:08 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DJM-S3

www.pioneerdj.com

Yeah but most of us already Dicers or an SP1 or something along those lines.

I had dicers and they've been collecting dust since I got them. Used them once. Nothing I hate more than extra pieces, components and dongles.
Laz219 12:00 AM - 8 September, 2017
Reading the Pioneer press release they actually do directly state 'you can connect the DDJ-SP1 controller3 and use its large Performance Pads for tactile control of many Serato DJ features, including its FX.'

Even before I looked at the S3, the name just made me think- they're leaving room for an S6 (S3,S6,S9) Seeing as the S3 is now the basic entry model- I'd expect them to slot something in between it and the S9 that may have some performance features.
kip 12:24 AM - 8 September, 2017
S6 could be djm450 for serato.
Laz219 12:30 AM - 8 September, 2017
Yeah, I'd forgotten the 450 existed until now, probably a safe bet- although I still do expect Pioneer would like to minimize the amount of non-RB products in their lineup.
Gio Alex 12:45 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Reading the Pioneer press release they actually do directly state 'you can connect the DDJ-SP1 controller3 and use its large Performance Pads for tactile control of many Serato DJ features, including its FX.'

Why wouldn't you be able to though??? The DDJ-SP1 is a Serato DJ accessory. AM i missing something here, or did I misunderstanding to point you're making?
Gio Alex 12:46 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

And cost more than most serato enable mixers most likely So like over 1K? LOL
Laz219 1:07 AM - 8 September, 2017
I'm just saying that pioneer themselves are basically saying "we didn't put any midi controls on this because you can just buy an SP1"
kip 1:10 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

And cost more than most serato enable mixers most likely So like over 1K? LOL

About the cost of a club kit more.
Gio Alex 3:36 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
I'm just saying that pioneer themselves are basically saying "we didn't put any midi controls on this because you can just buy an SP1"

Oh ok I gotcha
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:30 AM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:

mind blowing I know
Despo 12:17 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

mind blowing I know

It's like paying for the serato licence over and over again. FFS i already got the club kit, an SL4, Rane 62, S9 and then they would charge me again 150 bucks if i bought the s3 basically.

Just enable the 250mk2 for the club kit, users already paid the 150 bucks for that. I have a hard time justifying this price increase for the S3
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:16 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mind blowing I know

It's like paying for the serato licence over and over again. FFS i already got the club kit, an SL4, Rane 62, S9 and then they would charge me again 150 bucks if i bought the s3 basically.

Just enable the 250mk2 for the club kit, users already paid the 150 bucks for that. I have a hard time justifying this price increase for the S3

This!! 🔝

It's a revolving door that just doesn't seem to end!

It's there company though so good luck to em 🤙🏾
Mr. Goodkat 3:45 PM - 8 September, 2017
exactly why pioneer will have an edge going forward.

why buy mixer that need 100$ upgrades when you get RKB free with the mixer.

its not gonna be overnight, but these companies are relying on the new customer. I can sit back on my mixer forever but to the new kid that wants to dj or the guy that is already paying 7-10% in sales tax 100-150$ in licenses make 0 sense.

i'm personally vested in serato since ive been using it since 06 but if i were a new dj and had to pick out of rkb, serato, and traktor, i def wouldnt be using serato simply for the extra costs/fees
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:44 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
exactly why pioneer will have an edge going forward.

why buy mixer that need 100$ upgrades when you get RKB free with the mixer.

its not gonna be overnight, but these companies are relying on the new customer. I can sit back on my mixer forever but to the new kid that wants to dj or the guy that is already paying 7-10% in sales tax 100-150$ in licenses make 0 sense.

i'm personally vested in serato since ive been using it since 06 but if i were a new dj and had to pick out of rkb, serato, and traktor, i def wouldnt be using serato simply for the extra costs/fees

I wonder how many licenses one can possibly acquire lol. I got a free Pitch licence with my 808.

Free - I'm pretty sure this was added to the cost

I think its time for serato to start a stand alone license sale since they don't even have a primary hardware partner again.

There should be a choice of
1. Hardware only
2. Bundled with Serato
Despo 9:37 AM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
I think its time for serato to start a stand alone license sale since they don't even have a primary hardware partner again.

1. Hardware only
2. Bundled with Serato

Technically they already sell stand alone licences:

store.serato.com

They just keep charging you on new hardware whether you bought it or not, which is BS
Gio Alex 3:00 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

1. Hardware only
2. Bundled with Serato

store.serato.com

They just keep charging you on new hardware whether you bought it or not, which is BS

Yeah but it's not compatible with any mixer. I think he means what traktor did/does. If you have a capable mixer just sell the damn license. Correct me if I'm wrong please with the interpretation.
ratoa 3:59 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Hardware only
2. Bundled with Serato

store.serato.com

Yeah but it's not compatible with any mixer. I think he means what traktor did/does. If you have a capable mixer just sell the damn license. Correct me if I'm wrong please with the interpretation.

Isn't Rekord+DVS open to any capable mixer or interface soundcard already?

As far as I know you have to manual configure our I/O like Mixxx and you are good to go
Gio Alex 5:09 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
Isn't Rekord+DVS open to any capable mixer or interface soundcard already?

As far as I know you have to manual configure our I/O like Mixxx and you are good to go

We're talking about serato here.
Culprit 5:13 PM - 9 September, 2017
If the mixer sells, it will sell. If it don't it will go end of life. I see it has Pioneer and Serato just doing what they are built to so. Sell software and hardware. That's the whole point of them being in business in the first place.

Do you guys think this gear is for us Serato vets? I think it's geared towards people wanting to upgrade or get into DJing.

You can get 2 PLX 500 Turntables and a DJM S3 for around $1200, and throw in some dicers and you got a decent setup with some minor midi. The mixers xfader are also midi so you can video mix as well.

Whish I had this much cool cool gear when I started at that price. It's a good time to be a DJ I think.
Culprit 5:14 PM - 9 September, 2017
Sorry for the typos, need my coffee
Mr. Goodkat 5:28 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
You can get 2 PLX 500 Turntables and a DJM S3 for around $1200, and throw in some dicers and you got a decent setup with some minor midi

pretty much the same price as used techs and a cheaper mixer, computer would be the cost of how many records you need