Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Allow "THRU" mode for all DVS capable mixers & controllers.

acemc 9:10 PM - 26 February, 2017
Just like the title says, I would like the ability to route my vinyl / cd's "thru" Serato .
This is possible with the Akai AMX where the vinyl or cd is routed through the software allowing the use of Serato effects on the source. I honestly don't understand why it can't be done with all DVS capable mixers & controllers. If Serato is capable of receiving the timecode signal, then it's capable of processing other audio too. So please implement this.
acemc 11:52 PM - 24 September, 2017
Anyone???
acemc 12:34 PM - 14 October, 2017
Although it doesn't seem like anyone is in need of this, just in case anyone stumbles across this post looking for this feature.......
I've found a workaround!!!!!
If you midi map the dvs button, you can then manually edit the midi xml file to toggle the dvs mode between relative, absolute & ....THRU!!!
Now you can play your vinyl directly through serato and apply all SDJ's effects onto your analog source - Soooo stoked to finally have this working.
No thanks to Serato support though!!
Despo 11:54 AM - 15 October, 2017
no way how did you do this exactly.

you realize this would also enable post fader fx for send return mixers
acemc 2:27 PM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
how did you do this exactly

It's as easy as I said...
Quote:
If you midi map the dvs button, you can then manually edit the midi xml file to toggle the dvs mode between relative, absolute & ....THRU!!!

Don't know much about using send/return on mixers, but I'm glad if it helps.
Despo 2:35 PM - 15 October, 2017
what's the dvs button?

do i map the button that says "int" or the one saying rel/abs or the one in the midi panel
acemc 2:48 PM - 15 October, 2017
The one that say's real/abs
Then save the mapping, go into the xml file and edit it to 'toggle' between real & thru.
acemc 2:51 PM - 15 October, 2017
This is a sample from mine (obviously note numbers & decks etc will differ to yours)
<control channel="4" event_type="Note On" control="17">
<userio event="click">
<dvs_playback_mode_request deck_set="Default" deck_id="3" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="static" static_value="Through"/>
</dvs_playback_mode_request>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<dvs_relative_mode deck_set="Default" deck_id="2" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="any">
<alias name="on" value="127"/>
<alias name="off" value="1"/>
</translation>
</dvs_relative_mode>
</userio>
</control>
<control channel="3" event_type="Note On" control="43">
<userio event="click">
<dvs_playback_mode_request deck_set="Default" deck_id="2" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="press" behaviour="static" static_value="Relative"/>
</dvs_playback_mode_request>
</userio>
Despo 10:43 PM - 15 October, 2017
okay i tried this on my sl4 but no luck, it does put the hardware into Through mode and it says THRU in the software decks but when I put effects on that deck, nothing happens. What hardware are you using? Have you tried setting up Send/return effects like this using an SL Box?? This would be a game changer
acemc 10:48 PM - 15 October, 2017
Im using a Denon MCX8000 controller.
I really can't see any reason why you can't apply fx to the vinyl audio.
What version of sdj are u using?
acemc 10:52 PM - 15 October, 2017
Perhaps Serato does some type of switching to the SL4 which bypasses the audio from entering SDJ.
Try activating the through mode, then put on a timecode vinyl, go into settings & look at the scope. That will tell us whether or not the signal (or audio) is still entering SDJ or not.
Despo 11:04 PM - 15 October, 2017
well, the audio still seems to pass through serato dj but I guess at the same time a bypass is applied. activating effects on the through channel still has no effect
Despo 11:04 PM - 15 October, 2017
scope in setup shows signal coming in, no fx working though.
acemc 11:09 PM - 15 October, 2017
This might help, try reading here: serato.com
acemc 11:22 PM - 15 October, 2017
I think what happens on the Rane devices is when you select 'thru' SDJ tells the SL3/4 to switch to Thru mode on the actual sound card. I strongly believe that Serato could quite easily bypass that portion of their code & route the audio through the software so you can apply effects to it. The proof of concept is the fact that the Akai AMX (and my controller) can do it. I think Serato just aren't bothered to look into it. IF.... they were to do it though, you still wouldn't have any post fader effects though. Purely because SDJ wouldn't know when the fader (of whichever mixer used) was open or closed.
Despo 5:08 PM - 16 October, 2017
the software doesn't need to know whether the fader is up or down.

Traktor works with my sl4 just fine, it can do post fader effects on my rane 56 by simply passing audio through the aux into traktor, applying the effect, and sending it back to the mixer return.

This is just serato making life harder than it needs to be, they talk about removing thru mode fx for the purpose of switching to vinyl easier. Who connects a vinyl turntable to the aux in/out anyway? That could be used for fx all the time
acemc 11:23 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
the software doesn't need to know whether the fader is up or down

Like I said, I don't know much about send/return stuff - I've never used it before.
Quote:
Who connects a vinyl turntable to the aux in/out anyway? That could be used for fx all the time

I totally agree, it's actually a lame excuse!