Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ/DDJ-SZ Problems

E0910 8:17 PM - 26 February, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm going to try to explain this the best I can without getting too confusing. I am currently running Serato DJ along with video. I have a macbook air early 2015 model with 1.6 ghz intel core i5 processor, 4 gb of ram and I have a 250 gb hard drive with 80 gb free space. I keep all my videos on an external western digital hard drive. I am running serato dj 1.9.4 because if I upgrade it shoots my processor green bar way up, so I am staying on 1.9.4 and also on OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. I have had zero problems with serato, but all of a sudden it seems like if I get too loud on my board I get the limiter light and then I will get audio dropouts and everything freezes on my board for about 5-6 seconds and then it all kicks back on if I hit the play button and then I have to turn it back down. I keep my master set at 50% and my gains each around 40-45% turned up. The system I am plugged into has xlr cables running out of a mixer for each input in the back of my ddj-sz and each xlr cable runs into a mixer that has two subs and a horn. Not sure why I am having these issues. Is it possible my board is damaged or defected? I also sent it into the pioneer before bc I had board freezing issues and pioneer fixed it and the said at the factory in california that I had a factory default, but I am thinking my board is still messed up since I can't turn it up too loud.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 8:58 PM - 26 February, 2017
Hey there,

Best step from here would be to send our support team a help request from the link below. They'll assist you in getting to the bottom of the issue you're experiencing.

support.serato.com

Cheers.
djmacklong 8:58 PM - 26 February, 2017
Is your firmware up to date? Also - and I realize that half the forum will freak out when I say this - but update your OS and get on the latest version of SDJ. Everything will run infinitely better. I'm fully UTD with the latest version of Sierra on my '13 MBP Retina, SDJ 1.9.5, current drivers and firmware on both my S9 and SZ and have zero issues. Literally the only time I ever have bugs is when I play on a Rane mixer with out-of-date firmware, and holds true for virtually every DJ I know.

Of course, you should also backup your MBP before doing anything.
E0910 9:17 PM - 26 February, 2017
I actually tried to update everything to current for serato dj and I had to go back down to yosemite because the new serato I guess uses too much processing power so my macbook air can't run the newest update. I think I may have to just get a whole new computer to be honest which really sucks...
DJ Tecniq 10:21 PM - 26 February, 2017
Quote:
I actually tried to update everything to current for serato dj and I had to go back down to yosemite because the new serato I guess uses too much processing power so my macbook air can't run the newest update. I think I may have to just get a whole new computer to be honest which really sucks...
I do not agree updating your OSX. Stick with Yosemite. Your computer is an i5 with only 4 gigs ram. To get the best performance out of SDJ an i7 with 8 gigs ram or more is best. A MacBook Air is the bare minimum. A MacBook Pro would be a better solution. Updating OS will only cause more issues esp if you are already having them. It will just make it worse. Hope you take my advice cause new operating systems just add more CPU. Good luck
E0910 10:26 PM - 26 February, 2017
Thanks I def will take your advice! I just can't figure out why I am having all these issues. My buddy has the exact same setup as me and has had zero problems and he can also crank his board up and no problem with volume or anything. I try it on mine and all hell breaks loose. Its embarrassing too when playing a gig.
E0910 11:58 PM - 26 February, 2017
I just went ahead and ordered a new macbook pro with touch bar 15 inch display 2016 model intel core i7 processor with 16 gb of memory along with 512 gb flash storage. I should hopefully be good now! I guess if it messes up now its my SZ controller lol
DJ Tecniq 4:02 AM - 27 February, 2017
Quote:
I just went ahead and ordered a new macbook pro with touch bar 15 inch display 2016 model intel core i7 processor with 16 gb of memory along with 512 gb flash storage. I should hopefully be good now! I guess if it messes up now its my SZ controller lol
Wow any 2012 or above MacBook Pro would of been fine. You really didn't need a 2016 model. It's great that you got a new one but I would of took your old Mac to an Apple Store for testing it's possible it was just defective. Let us know how the new laptop does cause I think the controller may of been culprit also.