DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable Tonearm Faces Straight Down

DJHexum 3:06 AM - 25 February, 2017
I posted this on Pioneers site, but wanted to do so here but could not figure out a way to attach pix (included in the link). I have never seen this issue (own 4 other Technics and other models) where the tonearm in resting position faces directly down on the turntable even if I set the height to the highest, take off the weight, and so on. I just noticed this and it still works perfectly fine and the tonearm is straight. If anybody has seen this before (again pictures in the link), please let me know and thanks!

forums.pioneerdj.com
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:33 AM - 25 February, 2017
Your shit is BENT, lol!

How the hell did you do that?? And if you bought it like that send that shit back!!
DJHexum 7:44 AM - 25 February, 2017
The tonearm itself is not bent - the pix may be a bit deceiving to the eye. It is essentially how it now sits in the resting position when clamped. I know it happened in transport with the same turntable cases I have been using with my Techs and others for years. Never happened to those decks and I have never seen this happen in my life. First time for everything I guess ha.
DJHexum 7:47 AM - 25 February, 2017
Thankfully just was able to get this issue resolved as it is "Under Warranty" and got the confirmation to send back/repair. So will go ahead and close this out!
Niro 10:04 AM - 25 February, 2017
It looks bent to me also, so what was actual wrong with it?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:23 PM - 25 February, 2017
Yeah mine definitely do not look like that.

instagram.com
DJ Irv 5:29 PM - 25 February, 2017
The problem is the tonearm is very poorly affixed to the base. One of my PLX-1000 has this problem although not as pronounced. The only way to correct it is to take the whole tonearm assembly off and loosen the screws to the tonearm. Align it properly and retighten the screws.

This would never happen on a 1200 from the factory.
Niro 3:17 AM - 26 February, 2017
I stillam not understanding what is happening. Did the tonearm turn or something?
CMOS 5:05 PM - 26 February, 2017
DJ Irv 11:38 PM - 26 February, 2017
Quote:
I stillam not understanding what is happening. Did the tonearm turn or something?

It did not turn, it was very poorly installed from the factory.
DJHexum 1:40 AM - 28 February, 2017
I am guessing what Irv said above...I use the same crates I have been using for years with my Techs and never once did the tonearm or tonearm assembly ever get damaged in transit.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:13 AM - 28 February, 2017
So you think is from being transported ina flight case??

Haven't ever used mine live yet so they've never been in a flight case. Got scared to put em in the cases now, lol!!
DeeJay*CASPER 3:32 AM - 28 February, 2017
imgur.com

I'm guessing its turned on the inside of where I circled in red, with 1200's back in the days we would just turn them back, not the best idea but we took more chances back then.

take to professional and they can readjust the tonearm
DeeJay*CASPER 3:33 AM - 28 February, 2017
Quote:
Thankfully just was able to get this issue resolved as it is "Under Warranty" and got the confirmation to send back/repair. So will go ahead and close this out!

oh daam, just read this LOL
DJHexum 6:18 PM - 28 February, 2017
All I know is Sunday after the gig everything was packed up as normal and transported. Did not open again until Wednesday and that is when I saw it. Again it still worked absolutely fine. I did speak with one of the local techs here that have been handling all turntable repairs (including Technics) for years and they said that they have had to do 2 tonearm replacements recently with the PLX-1000. But just to note, only 2. However not sure how widely circulated they are at the moment amongst users. The average cost is around $300-360. Technics tonearm repairs were in the similar range. He said that they will be using the same tonearms for Tech repairs as the parts are becoming more and more scarce. I use the PLX alongside my Techs at times because it does allow you the freedom to do some wild pitch ranges, building, trans-down, trans-up, etc. I do feel it is a real solid built deck...minus this issue unfortunately.
Dj Atom Blast 1:29 AM - 6 March, 2017
Has anyone used the 500s or reloop 4000s, or should I just buy used Technics?
DJ CUTLOOSE 7:56 PM - 8 October, 2017
Had exactly the same issue with one of mine
eddyjamez20 12:52 PM - 10 October, 2017
I notice the same.... Damn... I’ve had my decks for almost 2 years... Am I fucked? Can I return them?
Logisticalstyles 4:35 PM - 10 October, 2017
Quote:
The problem is the tonearm is very poorly affixed to the base. One of my PLX-1000 has this problem although not as pronounced. The only way to correct it is to take the whole tonearm assembly off and loosen the screws to the tonearm. Align it properly and retighten the screws.

This would never happen on a 1200 from the factory.

One of my 1200's does the same thing. Granted it's much older but it can happen.

Quote:
I'm guessing its turned on the inside of where I circled in red, with 1200's back in the days we would just turn them back, not the best idea but we took more chances back then.

That's what i do with my 1200.
DJ Irv 4:53 PM - 10 October, 2017
Quote:
One of my 1200's does the same thing. Granted it's much older but it can happen.

This happened after the factory. Most likely due to it being upside down in a not so great TT case. The QC from the factory in Japan was very good.

One of my PLX-1000 also has a poorly aligned tonearm.
Dj A Dre 9:36 AM - 18 October, 2017
Hey guys, so I'm in the same boat, i got my pix 1000s a year a go and brand new flight cases from odyssey for them and after the first time using the cases boom a bent tone arm, not as bad as ops though.

BUT here is my thinking and hopefully some of you will tone in on this (pun intended). but do you think that the foam platter holders in the flight cases are to weak to hold the turntable in place in the case. Im not reckless and put my cases to where the turntable will be upside down either, it's the only thing i can think of that might be causing the problem.

any thoughts?
deezlee 4:09 PM - 20 October, 2017
The flight cases with the round foam have too soft of foam and shouldn't be used for actual air travel and shouldn't be turned upside down.
The flight cases with the hard foam bars inside instead of the round foam piece are ok. Best to get those.
Ghostwhip 9:57 PM - 22 October, 2017
I have the exact same problem. Tried taking out the screws and swivel it, but can't seem to get it right. This is killing me! Also anyone know of a service manual?
Ghostwhip 10:23 PM - 22 October, 2017
Quote:
Had exactly the same issue with one of mine

How did you fix??

This issue happened after I brought it to a gig, meticulously transported with the platic cover secured over it, so there is no way it could have been bent. That said, I can't get my head around if it is bent or twisted in a way that I am unable to rectify. I suppose I could take off the my other tone arm and compare to see if they are exactly the same, but would rather not as that one is aligned perfect.
Ghostwhip 4:20 PM - 26 October, 2017
Some helpful information:

It would be next to impossible for the S arm to be twisted inside as there the screws are threaded through the tonearm.

Pioneer doesn't sell individual parts, just the complete tonearm assembly. Which is $420 Canadian.

For anyone considering buying these tables, buyer beware, you'll spend just as much on repairs as Techs if not more. The whole reason I bought these in the first place was the fact that this was a new product and therefore, parts would be readily available and cheaper. Wrong. Hopefully Pioneer gets their act together or they will not be the industry standard and everybody will jump ship as I am about to.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:56 PM - 27 October, 2017
Quote:
imgur.com

take to professional and they can readjust the tonearm

His sh!t is BENT, like from the bend of the arm right before the headshell bent. If the issue was at the red circle, then the arm would be twisted to either the left or right as you're only rotating the tube, not forcing it down. Also, the tube is screwed in at that point, so no twisting play should be possible.

Also, if it was twisted, either to the left or the right, he wouldn't be able to play any records, assuming he has a Shure [block] cartridge, but then again if he has something like a concord, he MIGHT get a way with it, depending on the length of the cantilever.

That was a Win with them saying it was under warranty tho.

Somebody sat on your sh*t.
Ghostwhip 5:49 AM - 21 November, 2017
I'm considering ordering this replacement tonearm pipe

www.ebay.com

Messaged DHC (manufacturer) and he stated that it works with the PLX-1000.

therefore saving from buying the entire assebmly at a ridiculous cost.

Anyone else do this yet or replace just the pipe with a technics tonearm?
DJ Irv 3:18 PM - 21 November, 2017
@Ghostwhip - The wiring in the tonearm is difficult and annoying to do. Even for me and I soldered quite a bit in my life. I'm curious to see some pics of your PLX's tonearm.
Ghostwhip 6:48 AM - 25 November, 2017
Cheers, I appreciate the feedback. It's bent, no question about it.