DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

80's party in Chatsworth, 100 people, topanga hills

DJLorrence 6:16 AM - 5 June, 2006
hi,

anyone want to DJ a 100 person party in chatsworth....use all my gear, except your laptop and hd. 80's music. just throwing it out there. 200 bucks. just drive and plug-in and mix 80's Not sure if i want to do it. so just seeing if anyone is interested.
OG Supernatural 6:46 AM - 5 June, 2006
What's the deal Lolo...why don't you want to do it???
DJLorrence 7:06 AM - 5 June, 2006
dunno, i dont know how to mix 80's, and i dont want to fuck it up for these people. its my land lord, and he insisting i do it. i mean i did last time with 80's and he liked it, but that was rough, cause i had no clue on what i did. id rather want some OG 80's DJ just fuck shit up, cause they'd have a much better time.
DJLorrence 7:07 AM - 5 June, 2006
DjWoody 7:26 AM - 5 June, 2006
When is this?
DJLorrence 7:37 AM - 5 June, 2006
next saturday. 8pm
DJ Unique 8:19 AM - 5 June, 2006
Damn, I love 80's music.
Started DJing in the 80's at a teen club in Van Nuys.
22 years later I'm still DJing.
I still have all my vinyl from the 80's.
Used to play KROQ / New Wave (Flashback as it's called now), Disco, Old School formerly known as Funk and/or Electro Funk, Rap, Chicago House, etc. I even have some of those rare Breakdance tracks.

Next time one of these party's goes down on a Friday let me know.
I will gladly stop by and DJ a couple of hours for free.
OG Supernatural 9:16 AM - 5 June, 2006
Yo Lolo...go on and handle it man, It's just the pre gig jitters.

Call me later this afternoon.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:55 PM - 5 June, 2006
Quote:
Yo Lolo...go on and handle it man, It's just the pre gig jitters.

Call me later this afternoon.

yeah Lorrence... u can do it. just drop all them 80's heaterz/bangers or power jams.
anewsome 9:59 PM - 5 June, 2006
I'll kill it on an 80's party. Lorrence,.. I'll come spin it for you.
Dj K.Smith 10:11 PM - 5 June, 2006
If anewsome can't I will... Holla...
Sim 10:13 PM - 5 June, 2006
u old basturds and ur 80s music :X (not like Im young *chuckles*)
OG Supernatural 10:26 PM - 5 June, 2006
I’m confused… I opened for this cat in front of hundreds of people then watched him mix and scratch his ass off. Two nights in a row that place was so rockin and HOT that I almost took my shirt off…LOL

Lolo… I know you have done 80’s events before… what’s so different about this one?
anewsome 11:11 PM - 5 June, 2006
Yeah I know Lorrence can hold his own,.. I've spun with him. Supernat,.. why don't you guys come to jam session this saturday afternoon...
DJLorrence 11:28 PM - 5 June, 2006
dunno, just feel like if i cant mix super smooth, its not worth it to be at par level. but i guess that's selfish intention as in ,"if i can't do it to the best, i shouldn't do it at all." like the kid that needs to always win. but fuck it. i guess ill do it. i got your call randy, i was in my human sexuality class. learning about the clitoris, and female orgasm. totally awesome stuff. ill call you later. study time.
sG 11:34 PM - 5 June, 2006
we should make a DJ pool by area and genre so in case ppl have gigs they can't do and nobody immediate they personally know of, they can pull from that pool.
DJLorrence 11:44 PM - 5 June, 2006
that'd be dope. i think services like the one you speak of currently exist.
DJLorrence 11:44 PM - 5 June, 2006
what do you mix best sG?
sG 12:01 AM - 6 June, 2006
Hip Hop/R&B... club mixes.
OG Supernatural 12:07 AM - 6 June, 2006
@anewsome...Yeah man, I'll have to head that way soon. Thanks for the invite but most of my weekends are booked and I'd need some travel time from Sac Town. I'll def holla when I'm down that way though.
OG Supernatural 12:14 AM - 6 June, 2006
@Lolo...Dude most of those private retro gigs they could really care less about mixing skills, it's really more about song selection. I was just telling Mike that I recently did a gig (lot's of 70's & 80's) and was mixing my ass off...I was having a blast but I could tell these folks could care less (older crowd). If you were doing a retro nite at a hot club that might be cause to team up with someone just to make sure you have it covered but I wouldn't sweat this private party, especially because you've already rocked a previous gig for him. DO THAT ISH MAAAAAN!
DJLorrence 12:18 AM - 6 June, 2006
lol, your cool man....also...anyone reading this, if you need drops. i would suggest to have Supernatural do a drop for you. he's got a dope ass voice like barry white and shit.

also, what is (older crowd) 34-44?

that is the demo of this group.
OG Supernatural 12:23 AM - 6 June, 2006
Yeah, 34 def being on the young side (34-54).
DJLorrence 12:28 AM - 6 June, 2006
k gotcha.
Dj K.Smith 1:14 AM - 6 June, 2006
Yo sG that was a sweet idea... We need to put together a pool of us and the areas we live by for just such a situation... I'm all the way down for that...

Dj K.Smith
hip-hop/R&B/Jazz/70's/80's... let's go...
DJLorrence 1:45 AM - 6 June, 2006
im really liking aarons get together idea.
OG Supernatural 2:04 AM - 6 June, 2006
I am currently putting together some contracts for this very reason. Actually, I am going to expand a bit and start booking for the entire State of CA. I will soon start a new thread for all mobile dj's that are interested and have them submit resumes.

I am going to do this because I have been turning down a lot of gigs in CA because I'm already booked. Recently, I have been contracting out dj's (some from this forum) and it has worked out rather well. Other than the stress of getting that first gig completed by a new dj and receiving performance feedback from the client it's been going good.

I'll be checking out some of the posts and may be contacting you to see if you are interested.
Dj K.Smith 2:08 AM - 6 June, 2006
Actually Lorrence it wass Kerry's idea... Not Aaron's...

lol
DJLorrence 5:28 AM - 6 June, 2006
lol. i like aarons implementation and go getter spirit.
anewsome 5:40 AM - 6 June, 2006
Quote:
we should make a DJ pool by area and genre so in case ppl have gigs they can't do and nobody immediate they personally know of, they can pull from that pool.

i need someone to spin my latino/salsa/merengue/calypso nights.
DJLorrence 5:58 AM - 6 June, 2006
talk to woody.
OG Supernatural 6:42 AM - 6 June, 2006
I dig woody's mixz, I listen to them while workin out all the time. High energy ish!!!
DJLorrence 6:59 AM - 6 June, 2006
yep, but he play cumbia, and spanish rock too. what a pimp!!!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:54 PM - 6 June, 2006
Quote:
I am currently putting together some contracts for this very reason. Actually, I am going to expand a bit and start booking for the entire State of CA. I will soon start a new thread for all mobile dj's that are interested and have them submit resumes.

I am going to do this because I have been turning down a lot of gigs in CA because I'm already booked. Recently, I have been contracting out dj's (some from this forum) and it has worked out rather well. Other than the stress of getting that first gig completed by a new dj and receiving performance feedback from the client it's been going good.

I'll be checking out some of the posts and may be contacting you to see if you are interested.

DJ Mix Masta Maggot reporting to duty!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:54 PM - 6 June, 2006
whoops, wrong thread... my bad :)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:57 PM - 6 June, 2006
www.scratchlive.net.... dang it, its locked!
DjWoody 11:59 PM - 6 June, 2006
Quote:

Thats a fucken awesome idea!!! I can use this all the time.
djzoo 12:06 AM - 7 June, 2006
count me in. where do i send my resume?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:24 AM - 8 June, 2006
Quote:
count me in. where do i send my resume?
www.scratchlive.net
Julls 11:06 AM - 8 June, 2006
Yo Lorrence, you got this gig man! Just quit feeling down. I'm pretty sure you'll rock that shit.
DJLorrence 11:37 PM - 8 June, 2006
yes! grasssy ass julls.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:53 AM - 9 June, 2006
lil gwassshoppa.... u kan kill it yo!
DJLorrence 12:56 AM - 9 June, 2006
yeah. well. Julls iz da man.
Dj K.Smith 1:00 AM - 9 June, 2006
Let us know how it went dude... Any other time if you need a 70's 80's pinch hitter, holla...
DJLorrence 1:03 AM - 9 June, 2006
yeah, ill bee chilling with you SSL forums buddies the same day i do this thing, so yeah!
Julls 1:48 AM - 11 June, 2006
Yo let me know how that gig goes!
DJLorrence 2:31 AM - 11 June, 2006
yes sir, im about to go!
Julls 11:36 AM - 11 June, 2006
Lorrence, how did your 80's gig go? You get any pics?
DJLorrence 8:02 PM - 11 June, 2006
went awesome! did 80's and about the last 1 1/2 hours my employers white trash daughter kept begging for hip hop! so i ended playing mainstream rap for most of the end of it! then i rolled straight to LAX and chilled in the booth with DJ Benji! (good charlottes DJ), then i went outside, chilled with the bouncers, and he showed me a cool trick! he put me in a sleeper hold and i passed out! i woke up all shaking and twitching and shit like i was on PCP or some shit! it was awesome! dude, Benji can pimp Relative mode! Oh yeah and the SSL meet up before that! TOTALLY fullfilling day for rizzle my nizzle!!!! Oh yeah! dope picture with Egyptian lover too!!! haha, oh yeah, now i can go to LAX anytime i want to with no wait!! fucking sick!!
DJLorrence 8:03 PM - 11 June, 2006
no pictures however, lo siento my ssl hermano
OG Supernatural 7:49 AM - 12 June, 2006
Glad to hear it went good!!! Ish... you packed in a weeks worth of dj activity in a day!!!