DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So what CONTROLLER has sound equivalent to an SL3/SL4 or better?

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:39 PM - 14 February, 2017
So, I've always DJ'ed with an SL3 with DVS. Recently, I had the "experience" of letting another DJ hook his controller up to my system....

I was like Yo, that sounds horrible...

Same thing when someone hooked up a Pioneer Mixer (DJM-990?) as well....

So JUST for the sake of asking my audiophiles, what is the best SOUNDING Controller out there?

And best sounding Mixer, (other than Rane)?

That way I can set some standards, for guests...lol.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:17 PM - 14 February, 2017
Quote:
So, I've always DJ'ed with an SL3 with DVS. Recently, I had the "experience" of letting another DJ hook his controller up to my system....

Same thing when someone hooked up a Pioneer Mixer (DJM-990?) as well....

So JUST for the sake of asking my audiophiles, what is the best SOUNDING Controller out there?

And best sounding Mixer, (other than Rane)?

That way I can set some standards, for guests...lol.

Which controller was it?
Was it gain staged properly?
Was it flat, muddy, too crisp?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:25 PM - 14 February, 2017
DDJSX
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:26 PM - 14 February, 2017
Sounded mad tinny. Same with the 900.
sl1200 1:09 PM - 15 February, 2017
Quote:
So, I've always DJ'ed with an SL3 with DVS.

Which mixer do you use?
pdidy 1:34 PM - 15 February, 2017
Quote:

Quote:
DDJSX

Never experienced that issue and I've used/heard a lot of them including mine. When I have heard bad sound quality is almost always do to low-quality MP3s a.k.a. YouTube rips.
CMOS 2:44 PM - 15 February, 2017
I played on a DDJ-SR the past two weeks where you cant put the right channel fader all the way up, as soon as the fader reaches 100% the sound cuts out.

Fun.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:35 PM - 15 February, 2017
none.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:32 PM - 15 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
So, I've always DJ'ed with an SL3 with DVS.

Which mixer do you use?

Rane 56S
AKIEM 11:19 PM - 15 February, 2017
...I think you are just shopping for a controller again....
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:39 AM - 16 February, 2017
DJ technology 10 years later...

still no better jogwheel than an SL-1200
no better sound quality than a no-frills Rane analog mixer
no software better than SSL...

and no better DJs than those who started before all that.

Thanks for trying!
AKIEM 7:03 AM - 16 February, 2017
Quote:
DJ technology 10 years later...

still no better jogwheel than an SL-1200
no better sound quality than a no-frills Rane analog mixer
no software better than SSL...

and no better DJs than those who started before all that.

Thanks for trying!
sl1200 10:10 AM - 16 February, 2017
I regularly use different types of setups (always pioneer) sometimes with the SL3, Clubkit with DJM850/900nxs/9000nxs2 or DDJ controllers (SR/SX/SZ).

I find that the SL3 with any DJM mixer combo sounds the best. (In my opinion a slightly fuller phatter sound)

The DDJ Controllers (SR/SX/SZ) and Clubkit with the pioneer supported mixers all sound the same to me, except the DDJ-SR/SX have lower the gain/volume control levels with the SR having the lowest volume control.

I have used the controllers both through the pioneer mixers and directly through to the speakers and the sound quality is good.

I have to agree with pdiddy the issue has to be the quality of the music files used.
DJ Jonasty 10:44 AM - 16 February, 2017
S4 sounds really good
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:57 PM - 16 February, 2017
Quote:

Not even.

I'm about to demand that all guests use an SL3 and CDJ's.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:16 PM - 16 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Not even.

perfectly reasonable
DJ Guayo 9:53 PM - 16 February, 2017
How's the EV system working out Johnny?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:21 PM - 16 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Not even.

Dammit.There goes me ever coming there to play. No CDJ training.
dj_soo 9:54 AM - 17 February, 2017
SZ maybe, but that sounds like a 900nxs which some people (me included) don't like. The NXS2 is supposed to sound way better so if the SZ2 uses the guts of the NXS2 it might be it.

Lots of people say the DJ 808 sounds great and the Denon MCX8000 is a step below, but I've never heard them.

Personally, I like the sound of the S9 - I think it sounds better than the 62 which I think sounds excellent. Haven't heard the nxs2 yet, but if it's anything like the S9, then it'll probably sound good as well. I have never liked the sound of any Pioneer mixers until the S9 tho.

In terms of other mixers, the Allen & Heath Xone:92 sounds good, but it's a bitch to use if you're a scratch DJ. The new M0del1 by them is supposed to sound great, but it's another mixer focused on fiddly mix djs that like to run super long blends and nerd out over EQs and filters.

Past those, you're getting into the high end rotaries like Bozak and Urei and the like for the classics and some current companies like E&S and Rodec. Then there are a bunch of boutique companies out there putting out small-run and custom-built rotaries like Isonoe, Meza, Condesa, Super Stereo, and Alpha.

Apparently the Rane MP2015 sounds amazing - this German event company did a rotary shootout couple years back and found that the 2015 holds up to even the classic Urei and Bozak mixers: www.facebook.com

and

www.facebook.com
SG SOUNDS 10:42 AM - 17 February, 2017
Best sounding controller is the Roland Dj 808..i have a rane 62 and a s9 and the Roland 808 sounds quality is on par with both...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
How's the EV system working out Johnny?

The EV jawns are SMOKING....

HENCE the reason for me creating this thread...

People NOTICED the difference in sound when I had on guests....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not even.

Dammit.There goes me ever coming there to play. No CDJ training.

I"m saying for those who DON'T want to use Turntables....lol...

Come thru anything partna!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:55 AM - 21 February, 2017
So actually it was a Pioneer DJM 800.

Any known sound issues?

It might have been gain staging miscalculation on my part, as I'm just used to the Rane 56s sounding GREAT with lots of headroom...
DJ Guayo 4:53 AM - 21 February, 2017
I went from a DJM 800 to Rane 62. Noticed and immediate improvement in sound. The 800 runs hot. make sure to check the attenuator setting
dj_soo 5:11 AM - 21 February, 2017
Pioneer stuff just doesn't sound that great. Hopefully they turned a corner with the S9/NXS2, but I remember hating their shit since the djm 600 days.

Another thing that bugs me about pioneers is the EQ crossover points - the lows and highs are unusually small leaving this huge midrange EQ.

I believe the lows cut at 80hz and the highs at around 12k hz which is unusual.
Jader 5:59 PM - 21 February, 2017
so i recently got an sx2 to use for quick bar gigs during the week and i actually really liked it. for my main residency, the club has a 62 which i used for a few years. recently, the 62 had to get serviced so i decided to bring the sx2. i used it for 3 weekends. it sounded ok, but i did notice that the sound in the club was not as loud and the bass seemed kinda low. we got the 62 back but i decided to keep using the sx2 just because i was getting used to it and i really liked the convenience of it. still, i was having to really push it to get the loudness that was used to. this past weekend, i decided to leave the sx2 at home and use the 62 again to see if there was a difference.

holy shit what a difference. the 62 sounded so much fuller and louder without even hitting reds. next time, if i really want to use the sx2 i would definitely send its output into the 62 and run the sound from there into the club system.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:41 PM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
I went from a DJM 800 to Rane 62. Noticed and immediate improvement in sound. The 800 runs hot. make sure to check the attenuator setting

That may be it.....

Thank u sir.
DeeJay*CASPER 3:48 PM - 22 February, 2017
Fully agreed.....the SX2 sound card (I call it P.A.) sounds terrible.......I've been able to make adjustments to make it sound clearer and even teamed it up with a DBX Go-Rack to make it sound fuller. Oh and DON'T even think about hooking up a wireless mic to it......jeesh.
Joee 8:48 PM - 22 February, 2017
this little thing works wonders when using controllers

www.allen-heath.com

i never carried one when i was on the ttm56/ttm57/rane 62, but i did notice it's a must for these controllers that have average sound cards , night and day difference
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:15 PM - 24 February, 2017
I use a Zed10 FX to route all sound through, and normally it's straight HiFidelity.

It couldn't do anything to save the DJM-800, but again it was probably the expectation that it would sound good, vs. familiarity with the mixer and proper gain staging, especially if it runs hit.

I also spoke to my guy and he was under the impression that you could take any lower bit rate file, say 192, and basically re-encode it at a higher bitrate 320, and he'll be good.

I advised him that no such software exists.

So who really knows what his library is made of.

Good points in this thread, thanks!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:43 AM - 27 February, 2017
Quote:
I also spoke to my guy and he was under the impression that you could take any lower bit rate file, say 192, and basically re-encode it at a higher bitrate 320, and he'll be good.

I advised him that no such software exists.

So who really knows what his library is made of.

iruntheinternet.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:36 PM - 27 February, 2017
Yeah, I know.....
Mr. Goodkat 9:10 PM - 27 February, 2017
Quote:
holy shit what a difference. the 62 sounded so much fuller and louder without even hitting reds. next time

Quote:
Pioneer stuff just doesn't sound that great. Hopefully they turned a corner with the S9/NXS2, but I remember hating their shit since the djm 600 days.

cosign

i think the roland controller is the only controller i haven't heard loud but hear good things about from a few friends that have one.