Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is there actually a stable release at all?

djenzyme 1:21 PM - 8 February, 2017
Im not one to complain very often but im ready to explode over the way Serato have been working.

I came to the party late, SDJ 1.7.5 was my first Serato DJ build. There were issues straight away and i was put onto the Serato Latency beta. Since then I have constantly been on beta versions because of various issues. We're now at 1.9.6 and even the beta is unusable for me.

I use CDJs with SDJ so I know im in a minority, but they are supposed to be supported so i expect them to be supported.

Ive noticed with the last few updates that the betas fix some issues but then they put controller integration straight after, into the final build, without beta testing, and then the final release has issues because they didn't test it properly.

Every time I report an issue, support ask me to provide a video which i am not in a position to do. And why the F%$k should I have to prove that the issue exists?? Im a paying customer FFS, if there were no issues i would not need to contact support in the first place.

Im at the point where im even considering giving up DJing because of the bad user experience. All I want is ONE stable release with no issues and then i would stick with that version but so far, it actually doesn't exist!

Anyway, I shouldn't keep ranting, I'd like to be able to say that Serato are doing a great job, but they're not.

Supporting 1000000 different controllers and constantly breaking the code base is not the way forward...
djenzyme 2:10 PM - 8 February, 2017
Sorry for the rant but, under the circumstances, I think its warranted. I've been patiently waiting for a stable release that I can stick with but its not happening :(
deejdave 2:10 PM - 8 February, 2017
I would ask what issue/s you are experiencing but I am assuming I may be asking too much. Unfortunately there is no way to answer your question without knowing this detail/s so I suppose a simple yes there is a stable build should suffice.
deejdave 2:12 PM - 8 February, 2017
By no means perfect but stable yes.
MilkieDJ 2:16 PM - 8 February, 2017
Quote:
Every time I report an issue, support ask me to provide a video which i am not in a position to do. And why the F%$k should I have to prove that the issue exists??

I guess you have never worked in support or tried to find a solution for someone. If you have, you would know how everyone explains something may not actually be what they are doing. A video helps to avoid any confusion/crossed wires.

I also found every Serato release pretty useless, pops/clicks/freezes. I then decided to find a decent guide on setting up a DAW, changed a lot of settings and haven't had any major problems since. Even if you have done this, do it again, it's worth ruling it out. I would go as far as having a separate boot of Windows just for Serato, this is what I would do when DJ'ing professionally, now I don't as I don't "play out" anymore.

I do agree that they could do a better job, but then look at all the alternatives and there are problems with them all. It's just like cars, there isn't a perfect one, even a new one.
izzy y 2:23 PM - 8 February, 2017
MY MASTER VOLUME KNOB ON DDJ SR STOP WORKING WHILE I CAN STILL REGULATE IT WITH MOUSE ON THE COMPUTER. THIS HAPPEN AFTER I UPDATED TO 1.9.5 VERSION. I HAVE ALSO UPDATED FIRMWARE BUT ITS STILL NOT WORKING, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE.
djenzyme 5:00 PM - 8 February, 2017
Thanks for the input guys! I guess I shouldn't be so hard on support, they are actually always willing to work through issues with me. The thing is, most of the time there are no solutions even when working with support.

My computer could be at fault as it is ageing rapidly (2011 MBP), but that doesn't explain how some of the betas work flawlessly until I upgrade to the official release. This has happened a few times in the last 6 months or so. Also, I know there are people with much newer computers that are having issues.

One of the 1.9.3 betas was the last stable build for me, the official release came with added dropouts and every release since has had issues (betas included).
djenzyme 5:18 PM - 8 February, 2017
Quote:
I would ask what issue/s you are experiencing but I am assuming I may be asking too much. Unfortunately there is no way to answer your question without knowing this detail/s so I suppose a simple yes there is a stable build should suffice.

I'm experiencing dropouts with a Pioneer DJM-850 mixer, and HID issues with CDJs.

It could be lack of resources on the computer but that doesn't explain why some of the betas have run flawlessly until they are upgraded to the official release. Sometimes just installing and running a newer build will break stability on the earlier more stable versions so its not always just a case of rolling back.

Thanks for the input though dude! Is there a specific version that is regarded as most stable? Then again I suppose this will vary depending on hardware etc
djenzyme 5:43 PM - 8 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Every time I report an issue, support ask me to provide a video which i am not in a position to do. And why the F%$k should I have to prove that the issue exists??

I guess you have never worked in support or tried to find a solution for someone. If you have, you would know how everyone explains something may not actually be what they are doing. A video helps to avoid any confusion/crossed wires.

I also found every Serato release pretty useless, pops/clicks/freezes. I then decided to find a decent guide on setting up a DAW, changed a lot of settings and haven't had any major problems since. Even if you have done this, do it again, it's worth ruling it out. I would go as far as having a separate boot of Windows just for Serato, this is what I would do when DJ'ing professionally, now I don't as I don't "play out" anymore.

I do agree that they could do a better job, but then look at all the alternatives and there are problems with them all. It's just like cars, there isn't a perfect one, even a new one.

Hmm point taken, it must be difficult for the support guys to keep up, especially with so many different hardware configurations.

I've already audio-optimised my computer as I use Maschine and Ableton Live on the same computer, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try again.
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:48 PM - 8 February, 2017
djenzyme,

I'd continue to work with Support, i'm sure they'll be able to identify what the issue is.
It could be anything from the Firmware on the DJM850, to the CPU on the mac you have (if its dual core i'd go back to using 1.9.0 version as the newer builds require a higher spec).
Additionally, ensuring you have wifi and bluetooth off for your performances is going to minimize issues as well.

I hope that helps,

Regards
deejdave 6:42 PM - 9 February, 2017
^^^^^ What he said. Also you mentioned that you were involved with the latency build. For me this was actually tied to my library size. Serato ended up fixing it but coincidentally I remember being FORCED to use the Beta as the current (at the time) normal build was not working for me. I know it is frustrating at times but I urge you to work with the team and get as specific as you can. We were able to narrow it down and in the end a fix was found and I have never had the issue again while my library today is even larger than it was!!! The point of videos, specs and even a breakdown of your workflow is for no other reason that for the team to try and reproduce you issue. Short of sending in EVERY element of your setup (Players, controllers, mixers, USB cables, external monitors, keyboards, etc.) this is a way to ensure they are getting as close to your situation as possible which will in turn facilitate the process in getting a fix for you. They do deal with these issues in volumes so understandably things can get confusing and even forgotten at times. If nothing else while getting said video together and posting your step by step process you in fact may find an overlooked variable yourself.
djenzyme 4:01 PM - 10 February, 2017
Yes it looks like Im going to have to make a video somehow. I get the feeling that 1.9.6 is going to be released before I get that far though...

Thanks for the input guys!
deejdave 9:22 PM - 10 February, 2017
Just trying to help but if you can get it done ASAP there is no better time to bring issues up than during a beta where the version in question is not even finalized yet.
WildcardX 10:30 PM - 10 February, 2017
Quote:
Yes it looks like Im going to have to make a video somehow. I get the feeling that 1.9.6 is going to be released before I get that far though...

Thanks for the input guys!

I have to say djenzyme, it was pretty refreshing to see some one come on here with an issue that is obviously griping them and still end up being rational enough to understand it all and approach the potential for a solution in a positive manner instead of continuous ranting and raving with out offering what we can as users to offer our assistance to make this software better. It's already a task as it is. Salute!
djenzyme 1:50 PM - 12 February, 2017
I'll make a video as soon as I can but, unfortunately, Im not in a position to right now.

Again, thanks for the input guys!
djenzyme 4:12 PM - 12 February, 2017
Aha! I managed to make the video, lets see if it actually does any good :)
djenzyme 2:48 PM - 14 February, 2017
Well it didn't do any good whatsoever, Im still being treated like its MY fault and that the error is on my part. What a fucking piss take.
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:51 PM - 14 February, 2017
Thats not fair djenzyme, we've already created reports and reproduction steps of the (multiple) issues you have raised, most of which are currently unreproducible by our team and therefore hard to fix. Your videos have been more than helpful and usually this is the best (and easiest) way to quickly identify what the problem could be. The bugs we have been able to reproduce, we are investigating and working out solutions - most of which are not able to be pumped out in a new build overnight. We do appreciate your patience and hopefully we can get your current issues sorted!

As far as stability is concerned, 1.9.5 is no less stable than any previous versions and I do recommend you update to this for best performance. There are so many other factors that could be contributing to your problems so I suggest troubleshooting with the Support Team is the best way forward.
djenzyme 10:15 PM - 14 February, 2017
Ok, I do apologise for ranting, its not constructive. Sorry!

I do feel as if I keep having to prove myself though. I've just wasted the whole afternoon taking extra videos just to highlight the same issue I originally described. I would not waste time filing bug reports if there wasn't a valid issue. Its taken about 15 tries and computer restarts just to get the 2 videos I've sent today due to a different HID issue that pops up sometimes (i'll save filing that for later)

1.9.5 is not stable on my computer, I get more dropouts with that than any other version. I have an open support ticket so i'll stick with that and forget about any beta versions.