Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SZ2 Mapping?

Kristian Valdini 7:07 AM - 5 February, 2017
I went to the darkside with Pioneer Recordbox and picked up the flagship DDJ-RZ last year, and to cut a long story short, using is with RekordBoxDJ is awful.

I see that the controller is fully midi-mappable, and has pretty much the same hardware layout as the DDJ-SZ2... in theory, could I use the DDJ-SZ2 midi map to map SeratoDJ controls to the DDJ-RZ and use it as a SeratoDJ controller?

When I asked Pioneer if they could share the DDJ-SZ2 mapping they went very 'quiet'...

K
DjSyndic8 7:56 AM - 5 February, 2017
Quote:
I went to the darkside with Pioneer Recordbox and picked up the flagship DDJ-RZ last year, and to cut a long story short, using is with RekordBoxDJ is awful.

I see that the controller is fully midi-mappable, and has pretty much the same hardware layout as the DDJ-SZ2... in theory, could I use the DDJ-SZ2 midi map to map SeratoDJ controls to the DDJ-RZ and use it as a SeratoDJ controller?

When I asked Pioneer if they could share the DDJ-SZ2 mapping they went very 'quiet'...

K

I dont know if it is officially possible to map serato cause thats the reason why Pioneer released this controller,

I guess your stuck with it because I wouldve bought the SZ2 and bought recordbox separately best of both worlds
Kristian Valdini 8:14 AM - 5 February, 2017
Hoping someone can shed some light, as IF it is a midi-mapping from Hardware > DJ Software, surely it should be possible?

Sadly I picked up the DDJ-RZ early last year, way before the DDJ-SZ2 was on the horizon (and at the time it looked like Pioneer and SeratoDJ were going separate ways!).

Note: I also have a DDJ-SX and SX2, so can always use them and may have to consider selling my DDJ-RZ if no solution.

K
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:44 PM - 5 February, 2017
How are you planning to access the full Serato DJ performance mode?

the controller acts as the key to the software.

So you are stuck with Rekordbox.

1. Pioneer requests support from Serato and are ready to cut a check.

2. Serato supports and charges users a plug in fee.
deejdave 2:34 AM - 6 February, 2017
The DDJ-RZ is not able to be used with Serato DJ. While you can map SOME functions these do not include the platters and the interface (sound card) can not be used by SDJ at all anyways regardless of any expansion or plugin.
Kristian Valdini 5:37 AM - 6 February, 2017
I guess that answers that then... best look at getting rid of my DDJ-RZ

Given that the DDJ-RZ is for all intents and purposes the 'same' hardware as the DDJ-SZ2, and I do have the usual SeratoDJ licences from my other Pioneer Controllers, I figured a mapping would be all that was required - I stand corrected.

K
DjSyndic8 12:04 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:

Given that the DDJ-RZ is for all intents and purposes the 'same' hardware as the DDJ-SZ2, and I do have the usual SeratoDJ licences from my other Pioneer Controllers, I figured a mapping would be all that was required - I stand corrected.

K

u must have a lot of cash to spend cause I would've done my homework before splashing out
Kristian Valdini 12:25 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

K

u must have a lot of cash to spend cause I would've done my homework before splashing out

Not about homework, I have been Serato since 2006... using RekordBox (USB and Laptop with CDJs( since 2015), owned/used many of the Pioneer Controllers and the DDJ-RZ finally looked like the right option to jump into using RBDJ.

Tested instore etc and all felt fine, but over weeks of using at home small bugs started to appear (track drifts,) etc that I presumed would be fixed with firmware/software updates. Now a year down the line they still exist and Pioneer are simply sticking their head in the sand (which my explain the sudden DDJ-SZ2 release!).

Sometime you get caught out, even after due diligence, and this was one of those times.

K
DjSyndic8 12:37 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
Tested instore etc and all felt fine, but over weeks of using at home small bugs started to appear (track drifts,) etc that I presumed would be fixed with firmware/software updates. Now a year down the line they still exist and Pioneer are simply sticking their head in the sand (which my explain the sudden DDJ-SZ2 release!).

Sometime you get caught out, even after due diligence, and this was one of those times.

K

yer Im sure RB will be fine tuned in years to come look how long Serato took to sort there bugs out also I don't think Pioneer are making that many sales in their RZ controllers probably the reason for the SZ2 release pioneer and serato are partners and thats a good thing pioneer should just stick to hardware and not go head to head with serato vs RB, Serato has over 10 years of experience, Pioneer need serato and serato needs pioneer
Kristian Valdini 12:43 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
pioneer should just stick to hardware and not go head to head with serato vs RB, Serato has over 10 years of experience, Pioneer need serato and serato needs pioneer

This, wanted to have all of my music in one library so took the leap, should never have left the solid Serato Controller base... esp now that Rekord Buddy 2.0 is here and can mirror my Serato Library to RB for when I want to use CDJs with USB/Laptop...

Also keen to see how folks are doing using SeratoDJ with the ClubKit + Pioneer CDJs via the DJM 900 mixer ?

K
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:05 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:

This, wanted to have all of my music in one library so took the leap, should never have left the solid Serato Controller base... esp now that Rekord Buddy 2.0 is here and can mirror my Serato Library to RB for when I want to use CDJs with USB/Laptop...

Also keen to see how folks are doing using SeratoDJ with the ClubKit + Pioneer CDJs via the DJM 900 mixer ?

K

We live and learn

I used the club kit for the first time with Serato DJ, Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus and CDJ 2000 nexus.

I ran into some difficulties at the start.

The venue had been playing a mix on a Rekordbox stick prior to my set, when I plugged in the cables to my laptop it didn't connect.

I had initially done a test run on another day in the same venue with my laptop and it worked fine.

I went into panic mode as the venue was packed and they were all waiting for me to start rocking.

Told the venue to switch to the house Spotify and I power cycled the whole mixer and cdj and boom my laptop recognized the pio hardware.

I also had a USB prepared in rekordbox, noticed it was way louder and the sound was fuller than Serato.

I made the USB with the same files I use in my Serato.

I currently looking at tweaking my gains in Serato. I use the autogain and it's at the default, I will also look at the Master gain to see if that will help.