Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can you edit samples in Serato DJ (2 questions)?

Cut-A-Rug 2:52 AM - 1 February, 2017
How can you clear the samples in the sampler and can you edit the samples. For instance, can I cut a portion or loop of of a song to use in the sampler? Is this something you can do with Serato FLIP?
Marv Incredible 10:58 AM - 6 February, 2017
1) By pressing the Eject button or replacing the existing sample with a new one. Serato haven't seen fit to give us a way to load or eject an entire sample bank at once and not only can you not midi-map the Eject button, they've recently hidden it away behind the Advanced Options button [*], making it even more awkward.

2) No, samples can't be edited inside of the software. You can choose which cue point to start from but sadly, not where to stop.

3) Yes, you can drop a loop from a playing deck into the sampler. There is no other way to 'cut' only a portion of a song.

4). No, FLIP has nothing to do with the sampler at all. FLIP is a macro recorder / mini-sequencer which can only currently be used to capture cue point and censor triggers in real-time and then play them back.

5) RTFM! ;)
spike12 5:48 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
1) , they've recently hidden it away behind the Advanced Options button [*], making it even more awkward.

3) Yes, you can drop a loop from a playing deck into the sampler. There is no other way to 'cut' only a portion of a song.
)

I hate the fact that the cue/loop choice is also in the advanced section. Why have so many steps to choose the sample within the song? We don't always want to sample the first cue point.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:39 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
or instance, can I cut a portion or loop of of a song to use in the sampler?

Actually yeah you can do this. By highlighting the area you want to, make a loop for the length you desire, then load it to the sampler. only the looped section will play if you have selected the "loop" option as the trigger point.

That might be a bit hard to understand. Should be a video for that ;)
Cut-A-Rug 12:40 AM - 7 February, 2017
Good stuff, thanks all! How do I load a loop in to the sampler?
Marv Incredible 12:44 AM - 7 February, 2017
Quote:
How do I load a loop in to the sampler?

This should be good. :)
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:48 AM - 7 February, 2017
Quote:
How do I load a loop in to the sampler?

Loop it on a playing deck and drag to the sampler :)
(turn on instant doubles in the DJ preferences tab in setup for best effect)
Marv Incredible 1:06 AM - 7 February, 2017
Quote:
drag to the sampler

That's the bit I was on about. ;) Come on guys, we need a better way. I appreciate it's a bit tricky when it comes to keyboard shortcuts but for many controllers and sub-controllers it shouldn't be too difficult.

How about...?

For Controllers:
While in sampler mode, hold down pad for desired empty cell and press load button.
If a sample cell is already occupied, the sample will trigger as normal. Continue holding and use load to overwrite.

For keyboards:
Pick an empty slot by holding down one of the sample keys 'Z X C V B N M , ' and then pressing shift and <-- or -->.

For all:
If a loop is playing, that loop will be loaded and continue looping in the sampler. If no loop is selected, the track will be 'instantly doubled' to the chosen sample cell and continue playback from where it was, just as if it was another virtual deck.

If 'playback from -x- cue point' is already selected in the sample cell, the track will play from there instead.

Something like that anyway.

??

Questions / Objections:
Q: What happens if you hold down a pad from one deck and press the other decks's load button? A: The other deck is loaded to the sample cell. Unlike virtual decks, the sample pads are the same for both left and right sets of pads.

Q: How do you load a track from the 3rd or 4th deck? A: Switch deck focus (tilde ~ key) and the left or right deck will be loaded as normal.

Q: Why haven't Serato done something like this already? Why put all this emphasis on hardware controls and then force us to go back ten years and use the mouse/trackpad?

A: Over to you. :)
LSy 10:20 AM - 23 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
drag to the sampler

That's the bit I was on about. ;) Come on guys, we need a better way. I appreciate it's a bit tricky when it comes to keyboard shortcuts but for many controllers and sub-controllers it shouldn't be too difficult.

How about...?

For Controllers:
While in sampler mode, hold down pad for desired empty cell and press load button.
If a sample cell is already occupied, the sample will trigger as normal. Continue holding and use load to overwrite.

For keyboards:
Pick an empty slot by holding down one of the sample keys 'Z X C V B N M , ' and then pressing shift and <-- or -->.

For all:
If a loop is playing, that loop will be loaded and continue looping in the sampler. If no loop is selected, the track will be 'instantly doubled' to the chosen sample cell and continue playback from where it was, just as if it was another virtual deck.

If 'playback from -x- cue point' is already selected in the sample cell, the track will play from there instead.

Something like that anyway.

??

Questions / Objections:
Q: What happens if you hold down a pad from one deck and press the other decks's load button? A: The other deck is loaded to the sample cell. Unlike virtual decks, the sample pads are the same for both left and right sets of pads.

Q: How do you load a track from the 3rd or 4th deck? A: Switch deck focus (tilde ~ key) and the left or right deck will be loaded as normal.

Q: Why haven't Serato done something like this already? Why put all this emphasis on hardware controls and then force us to go back ten years and use the mouse/trackpad?

A: Over to you. :)

good one
Cwite 12:35 PM - 23 April, 2017
There is a hard ware short cut to load from what I remember. I don't use it very often coz I have a touch screen and just drag the tracks to the sampler. I think it is shift+empty sample slot, but the track must be highlighted in the search menu. Pretty sure that's it.