DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Record Pool For Mobile DJ

DJ Neboskreb 8:35 AM - 28 January, 2017
Hey Everyone,

I've recently started doing gigs as a mobile DJ. I'm currently working for a company so I get to use all of their music but I've had family and friends ask if I can play at their birthday or something. This would be perfectly fine if I had the music. I am apart of Franchise Record Pool, the only thing I don't like is that they don't have any charts.

I'm mostly looking for top 40/100 stuff in pop, r&b, hip hop and soft rock. What I really want is a record pool where I could log on and look at the charts and download all the songs there. I would like a mix of current songs as well as songs from years ago.

I have looked at a few pools, mainly DJ City and Promo Only. The problem I found with DJ City is that there was too much clutter and they only had current stuff, I could barely find anything from 5+ years ago. I haven't tried Promo Only, it sounds perfect, they provide me with the top songs of different genres each month and I like most of what they pick. The only problem is that they claim to have stuff from back in 2009 but when I pay the $40 I only get that month's stuff (and the 6 months previous if I'm a new subscriber) but I can't seem to find a thing in the FAQ on how to download, let's say, the 2012 March Mainstream Dance songs. If it's possible to download stuff from their previous years that would be great, exactly what I'm looking for.

I've also looked in to idjpool.com, I've heard it's really good and it has a section for top 40 and top 100 songs, but I'm not sure if that's only current or if I can download top 40 from years ago too. It's also really expensive, $50 per month is a lot for me seeing as though I only just started out.

If you have any other recommendations then please leave them in the comments :)
Rebelguy 11:25 PM - 28 January, 2017
Honestly $50 a month is nothing. IDJPool is a good choice. Promo Only is good for the charts.

Let me get up on my podium now and tell you about how back in the days of DJing with vinyl I would spend $200-$300 a month to make sure I had all the music I needed.
Dj_Nix 1:05 AM - 29 January, 2017
man i see why people get pissed and don't want to help people... as many posts have been done about friggin pools. all you gotta do is search.

serato.com
serato.com
serato.com
serato.com
serato.com
serato.com

top right... its your friend
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:34 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
I'm mostly looking for top 40/100 stuff in pop, r&b, hip hop and soft rock. What I really want is a record pool where I could log on and look at the charts and download all the songs there.

LOL, that would be too easy.

Actually come to think of it - I do use this feature (Charts) a lot at the video pools. I look at the chart and see what I missed that is trending.

As mentioned above - www.idjpool.com is a good choice - especially for weddings/mobile stuff. They do cross reference the Billboard 100 for the Top 40 stuff - giving you a weekly PDF of the new adds to the Hot 100 be it Country or Rap. You just have to search and find it.

Quote:
$50 per month is a lot for me seeing as though I only just started out.

I guess my other suggestion won't help. If you are building a QUALITY library - there is no easy shortcut, Even though you are starting out - if you start with quality it will make it better down the road.

In addition to idjpool above - I also love www.latenightrecordpool.com for the classics, throwbacks and old school that they post on the regular. I am constantly replacing low quality 128 - 192 bitrate tunes in my library from when I started with better quality when posted, When that New Edition BET movie was trending - grabbed some of the posted throwbacks - even replacing a 96kbs album cut = ewww....

Damn, just realized I went digital and gave real vinyl about 10 years ago around this time. Still fixing my library 10 years later
Dj Shamann 11:32 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
Hey Everyone,
I am apart of Franchise Record Pool, the only thing I don't like is that they don't have any charts.

I'm mostly looking for top 40/100 stuff in pop, r&b, hip hop and soft rock.

Franchise + www.billboard.com

DJ charts can be misleading, just because a bunch of us rush to download something, doesn't mean the public's on it yet (or ever will be)
DJ Neboskreb 3:41 AM - 11 February, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys, I know it's been a few weeks since I made this post, been quite busy with studies and everything and honestly forgot to check here.

I did a bit more research and signed up for iDJPool, it's been pretty good. It doesn't really have "charts" (it does have top 100 PDFs weekly which is nice) but instead I found a list of "top 100 greatest artists of all time" so I just search their name and start downloading all their songs. Thought this would at least give me a pretty good library and then afterwards I'll go back and download singles that I need.

I appreciate you all commenting, been having a good time with iDJPool. I talked to my parents and they said they'd shout me the first month's worth of subscription to help me get started and then I'll pay for the subscription after that. I do already have a job as a DJ but a few weeks okay I was only in training, now I've finished training and am getting my own gigs :D feels good.

Thanks again