Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is this brand new ddj sx2 a lemon?

woody1 5:35 AM - 19 January, 2017
Here is the issue

No audio EXCEPT when I cue the headphones, yes I have the lastest drivers and firmware. I have tried this controller on an old win 7 desktop, have tried this on a win 10 laptop. I have a ddj sr that works perfectly.

When I cue the headphones, if I rotate the cue/master knob nothing changes. All the trims are up. I have tried every setting in the sounds tab in windows. I am at my wits end and getting extremely frustrated.

I have read and watched every video online spanning the last 4 years. What am I missing?
DJ Tecniq 7:01 PM - 19 January, 2017
It's very possible. Pioneer def has some quality control issues. My first Pioneer S9 was defective. I would have your SX2 looked at or checked out by somebody. If you didn't purchase from an authorized Pioneer dealer you will have issues replacing or fixing it.
woody1 7:07 PM - 19 January, 2017
I bought it yesterday from guitar center. I am going to try virtual dj and rekordbox tonight.

Is there anything special i need to do other than what i did for my ddj sr?

I have my sr setup with nothing but headphones, i use the master cue knob to play around, i assumed i can do the same with the sx2.

The crossfader doesnt do anything either. Only cue and master cue
d:raf 7:08 PM - 19 January, 2017
This may sound like a dumb question, but where on the SX are you taking the sound out from?
DJ Tecniq 7:11 PM - 19 January, 2017
Make sure the switches on the SX2 are set to "Line" make sure your trim/gain levels are up to๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
woody1 7:13 PM - 19 January, 2017
I set up the sx the same as my sr

Usb to laptop running sdj, just using a set of headphones out the front. I have no external speakers on the sr or sx2. I listen to the master on one deck, twist the knob to listen to my cue deck.

Eq works, trim works, jogs work, pads work, up faders work. Crossfader does not work.
woody1 7:14 PM - 19 January, 2017
Trim and gain is up, master up. Switches on the dace for 4 decks are set to pc, if i switch these no cue sound at all.
DJ Tecniq 7:16 PM - 19 January, 2017
Check out this post as it may help you sounds like something similar to your issue. Good luck man
serato.com
DJ Tecniq 7:17 PM - 19 January, 2017
I would call guitar center immediately or he'll take it to the store and show them what's going on if they find it's defective send that pos back and order a brand new one๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Curious to see what the issue is.
woody1 7:23 PM - 19 January, 2017
I read that thread, thanks. Its odd I cant find anyone else online that has sound ONLY when the master or deck cue is on. It seems the no sound people literally have nothing. I reinstalled sdj, driver and firmware lasy night, no go.

I didnt know since the sx is a true standalone mixer i needed to do something different than the sr.

Thanks for any ideas
DJ Tecniq 8:01 PM - 19 January, 2017
Your best bet would be to bring this up over at the Pioneer DJ Forum as they may have answers or tell you it's a defect. Good luck again
forums.pioneerdj.com
woody1 8:15 PM - 19 January, 2017
Ya thats next on my list, I started here bexause the pioneer forum seems like a ghost town
d:raf 8:40 PM - 19 January, 2017
If you're taking sound from the headphone jack only, it sounds to me like it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. Cue button sends that channel to the headphones, master/cue knob switches between master output and the cued channel. If you were talking sound from the master out on the back then it would be a concern.
woody1 8:45 PM - 19 January, 2017
I have my headphones plugged into the front jack. There is no sound in the phones unless the cue button is on. On my sr, i do the same thing but i can set the master - cue rotary knob to the center and hear both the cue track and the master track. I can use the cross fader on my sr to go between cue and master sound and hear it in the phones.

Im either totally lost in space or this sx2 is wack. If everything works just fine on my sr with nothing but.phones, why not on the sx2?
d:raf 8:55 PM - 19 January, 2017
What about your crossfader assignment switches; what are those set to? Also does the sx2 have a "master cue" button in the center?
d:raf 8:56 PM - 19 January, 2017
Also, the SZ is a 2 channel controller with minimal channel routing options. The Sx2 is a little different in that area.
d:raf 8:57 PM - 19 January, 2017
SZ should be SR... stupid autocorrect.
woody1 9:01 PM - 19 January, 2017
The sx2 does have a master cue. I get cue sound in headphones using either master cue or deck cue switch but thats it.

I really think i am missinv something aince the sx2 is different than the sr. Im gonna look at my xfadet settings in a minute
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:22 PM - 19 January, 2017
sounds like user error.........
woody1 9:23 PM - 19 January, 2017
Tell me the error, i would love that to be the issue.
d:raf 9:36 PM - 19 January, 2017
Going back through some of the earlier posts in this thread I thought I should clear up something:

Quote:
Make sure the switches on the SX2 are set to "Line" make sure your trim/gain levels are up to๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

This is wrong. Setting the switches to "line" only applies if you're using an external sound source like CDJ's or an Ipad/cell phone/etc. that's plugged into the inputs on the back of the SX2, and unless you have something plugged in there and playing you wouldn't be getting any sound from that setting. The switches should be set to PC if you're trying to play off of a computer.

Try this:

Turn off -all- the cue buttons, load and play your chosen songs, push the channel faders up, turn the "cue/master" knob all the way to the right and see if you hear the songs. Adjusting the channel fader levels should adjust the levels in the headphones.
woody1 9:41 PM - 19 January, 2017
If i turn the rotary to master without any cues on, there is no sound. I am set to pc on all decks.
d:raf 9:43 PM - 19 January, 2017
Are all the channel faders up, and is the master output knob turned up as well?
woody1 9:50 PM - 19 January, 2017
Channel faders max, trims all max. Thats whats driving me nuts making me think I missed a setup somewhere in serato or my pc but i did nothing different than I did on my sr.

The only sound i get regardless of what i do is cue when the channel cue or master cue is on
d:raf 10:17 PM - 19 January, 2017
I almost forgot; in SDJ in the "setup" options there might be a "split cue" section; what's that set to?

I've never tried mixing entirely in headphones without using sound coming from the master output, so I'm not sure if the behavior you're experiencing is normal or not without going home and trying it for myself.
woody1 10:19 PM - 19 January, 2017
I looked at that last night, it is greyed out, I cant click anything in regards to split cue
DJ Baby Boy 10:35 PM - 19 January, 2017
This does sound like user error (no offense) but push the master cue button until it lights up and then you should be able to pan between cue & master output using the knob no problem ... On the SX/2 you need to have that master cue button lit up in order to hear the master out of your headphones
woody1 10:41 PM - 19 January, 2017
So you need master cue and deck cue on to fade between master and cue via the rotary? Will try in about 5 mins
DJ Baby Boy 10:43 PM - 19 January, 2017
Quote:
So you need master cue and deck cue on to fade between master and cue via the rotary? Will try in about 5 mins

Yes ... In order to hear the master in any way out of your headphones you need the master cue button on
woody1 10:44 PM - 19 January, 2017
Odd but ok, will try in a minute
woody1 10:57 PM - 19 January, 2017
Ok with master cue on, deck cue on i can hear both decks, crossfader does not work though. I cant single out either deck by turning rotary knob from master to cue.
DJ Baby Boy 11:00 PM - 19 January, 2017
Quote:
Ok with master cue on, deck cue on i can hear both decks, crossfader does not work though. I cant single out either deck by turning rotary knob from master to cue.

Make sure that your specific channels are assigned to the crossfader to a or b ... Read the manual thoroughly man this is all pretty basic stuff and it shouldn't be this difficult
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:25 PM - 20 January, 2017
plug a speaker into the unit and try it out.

seems the cue is confusing you.

I'm sure you can buy a cheapo desktop speaker with line in somewhere.

Arion Legacy Deep Sonar 100 AC Powered 2.0 Speakers For Desktop PC, Notebook, Tablet and Smartphone www.amazon.co.uk
DJ Tecniq 6:38 PM - 20 January, 2017
What is you SX2 connected to? Studio monitors? Speakers?