Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Transport functions (cue, cue points, play, etc) should override slip

msoultan 4:59 AM - 10 January, 2017
It's really annoying when you have slip mode enabled and you press a cue point and then it jumps back to where it was before pressing the cue. If you press a cue point, it should go to the location you jumped to and continue playback from there.

Also, when you load a track, it's resuming where you left off unless you load the track while playback is on. SDJ is not honoring the configuration settings of start from beginning of track or first cuepoint, but instead going to whatever random spot the playhead was before you ejected the track.

I think ultimately any transport features should override slip mode so that you can actually navigate around your track without having to disable slip just to do something you should be able to do (navigate) with slip enabled. I think the same would go for the touch strip as well...
Simon Love Carter 3:01 AM - 13 January, 2017
that's why I left SERATO for RB.....
SERATO team is not answering about this for years.... :(
msoultan 3:46 AM - 13 January, 2017
How the heck are you supposed to get anywhere in your track without turning off slip?! The whole purpose of cue points is to get to a particular point in the track very quickly - that is totally negated with slip. Even knowing the purpose of the slip functionality, I still see this as very strange behavior!
Simon Love Carter 6:47 AM - 13 January, 2017
Think... When you for get slip mode on and hit big cue to prepare and Beat match your next track slip stars is virtual play and than when you finale hit play to start the new track it stars from somewhere else but not the bevi Bing! Very annoying... It feels awful that SERATO team doesn't rispondi about it!
acemc 4:11 PM - 17 January, 2017
I totally agree about slip mode being reset when loading a new track,
However I actually use my cue points with slip mode engaged as an effect.
Perhaps an option in preferences for slip-cue on/off would be a better option for all of us.
msoultan 4:48 PM - 17 January, 2017
Yeah, the resume on track load is whack.

I can see that if you want to use it as an effect - how do you navigate your track with slip mode on? Or do you turn it off to cue and then back on when it's playing?
acemc 4:57 PM - 17 January, 2017
I just turn it off when I need to jump to specific parts of the track.
To be quite honest I don't use slip mode all that much. So I only turn it on every now & then.
Only use it for vocal stabs on cue points & a little bit of scratching (so it doesn't sound as bad as it really is - Lol).
DJMIYAGI 12:35 AM - 18 January, 2017
I can understand having slip disable when loading new tracks, but the whole point of slip in the first place is to trigger cues, a temporary reverse, scratch, etc. while keeping the song in time. If you don't want it to do that, just don't use slip? Not trying to discourage anyone, but it's not really a function that needs to be enabled all the time. It's more for on the fly remixes and things of that nature.
Watch this video from Shortee Watchwww.youtube.com
msoultan 12:41 AM - 18 January, 2017
Actually, there is a huge benefit to leaving it on all the time, especially on the smaller controllers with capacitive platters and vinyl mode enabled. Because it's so easy to stop playback by just glancing over the deck with your finger (not the case with cdjs as they require pressure), having it on all the time keeps the mix from getting messed up if you happen to touch the platter. Not sure if you have a controller, but because everything is so much closer together it's much easier to accidentally touch the platter.

It would be interesting to know if people use the cues more for transport functionality or effects?
DJMIYAGI 7:08 PM - 18 January, 2017
Quote:
Not sure if you have a controller, but because everything is so much closer together it's much easier to accidentally touch the platter.

I've owned multiple controllers and never touched the platter unintentionally. Maybe you need a larger controller if you keep bumping the platter all the time. Slip isn't a function to prevent messing up. Sounds like you guys are missing the point of its functionality.
msoultan 7:16 PM - 18 January, 2017
I very well understand its purpose and usefulness, I just don't see much use for jumping to cues when you can use the sampler. Being able to use slip *and* still have transport functionality seems much more useful instead of turning it on and off. As far as the controller aspect, that's an added perk to leave it on, and getting a larger controller defeats the purpose of getting a small controller.
msoultan 7:20 PM - 18 January, 2017
Like I've said previously, I think it would be very interesting to know how many times people are actually using cues in slip as an effect vs wanting to have twnsport functionality. It's a neat idea, I just question its current use and long-term usefulness.
Cwite 10:35 PM - 26 January, 2017
I use slip in various ways. I use it to jump out of loops to Cue points to grab a sample or a bar then release to go back. I use it to scratch, I use it to create a break and go effect, I use it to protect the decks from probing hands if I leave the booth. I use it to pitch play a whole section of a track rather than being tied to an actual Cue point. I use it to beatmatch a loop then press the main deck cue to drop it out of the mix then use play to bring it back in. Is this not what SLIP is intended for?

I see your point because I do navigate out of SLIP with Cues to a permanent part of the track too. But to stay there, is it not just as easy to hold the Cue down whilst it plays in the new position and quickly just click off and on the SLIP mode, this effectively resets SLIP to your new position.

I do agree that it should default off at track load though. That always used to catch me out.