Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

wireless headphones any one? is it a good idea?

Dj AR1 6:01 PM - 3 January, 2017
im thinking on buying a pair of wireless headphones to use on my gigs.

www.bestbuy.com

what do you guys think? is it convenience? is it a good idea?
spike12 7:17 PM - 3 January, 2017
looks like there's some latency issues from the reviews....

"Everyone with BT earbuds or headphones should have one of these. It turns any device with an audio jack into a BT enabled device at a very reasonable price. Only drawback is a noticeable delay in the audio when watching TV. Voices are not synch'd with the actor's mouth."
Dj AR1 7:25 PM - 3 January, 2017
Quote:
looks like there's some latency issues from the reviews....

"Everyone with BT earbuds or headphones should have one of these. It turns any device with an audio jack into a BT enabled device at a very reasonable price. Only drawback is a noticeable delay in the audio when watching TV. Voices are not synch'd with the actor's mouth."

How bout when is use with music?
spike12 7:28 PM - 3 January, 2017
I recommend you spend some time undesrtanding how music processing in your mixer works if you need to ask this question..

You're going to get lag between your ear piece and monitors/master out... this will cause problems when trying to drop or beat match from your ear piece.
Dj AR1 7:35 PM - 3 January, 2017
Quote:
I recommend you spend some time undesrtanding how music processing in your mixer works if you need to ask this question..

You're going to get lag between your ear piece and monitors/master out... this will cause problems when trying to drop or beat match from your ear piece.

it would be the same as with the cable. but wireless.
popnwave 8:37 PM - 3 January, 2017
Quote:

No, there is a small delay on wireless, it makes mixing harder.
Dj AR1 8:57 PM - 3 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

No, there is a small delay on wireless, it makes mixing harder.

Im going to give it a shot.
Cant go wrong for 25 dollars. Besides it can be use for some other stuff.
akakak 11:16 PM - 3 January, 2017
You're mad. DJing is like playing an instrument. Imagine if when you hit the keys on your piano, you didn't hear the note for half a second. It would be impossible to play it.

DJs spend hours trying to reduce the latency on their setups. To introduce latency when you've been told about it for the sake of getting $25 headphones either means you don't understand the issue, or you don't do anything live. You'd be better off using the earphones that came for free with your phone.
Dj AR1 11:20 PM - 3 January, 2017
Quote:
You're mad. DJing is like playing an instrument. Imagine if when you hit the keys on your piano, you didn't hear the note for half a second. It would be impossible to play it.

DJs spend hours trying to reduce the latency on their setups. To introduce latency when you've been told about it for the sake of getting $25 headphones either means you don't understand the issue, or you don't do anything live. You'd be better off using the earphones that came for free with your phone.

If you take the time and read better you could probably understand.
The piece to transmit cost 25 dollars. Thats why i said it wont cost much to give it a shot.
I created this post just to hear opinions. But not from ppl who are not reading the whole post.
Thanks.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:44 AM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
I created this post just to hear opinions.

And you say this ->
Quote:

So when the answer is basically - >
Quote:
You'd be better off using the earphones that came for free with your phone.

After explaining about the latency part....

How do you interpret that he's
Quote:
ppl who are not reading the whole post.

??

If there is .0000000000001% latency, then its not worth it for DJ'ing purposes, unless you're a jukebox.

If you're using it for OTHER STUFF, then you should have not directed the question to DJ's...

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind
Quote:
Cant go wrong for 25 dollars.

If there's ANY latency, we're not co-signing it for DJ'ing.
Dj AR1 4:44 AM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I created this post just to hear opinions.

And you say this ->
Quote:

So when the answer is basically - >
Quote:
You'd be better off using the earphones that came for free with your phone.

After explaining about the latency part....

How do you interpret that he's
Quote:
ppl who are not reading the whole post.

??

If there is .0000000000001% latency, then its not worth it for DJ'ing purposes, unless you're a jukebox.

If you're using it for OTHER STUFF, then you should have not directed the question to DJ's...

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind
Quote:
Cant go wrong for 25 dollars.

If there's ANY latency, we're not co-signing it for DJ'ing.

i haven't use it on anything else yet.
but ill take your opinion on consideration.
akakak 10:58 AM - 4 January, 2017
I read your post, I'm not sure how you inferred otherwise. You wanted to hear opinions. My opinion is that this is (obviously) no good for DJing, and you are on a DJing forum. I don't even know why a DJ would need wireless headphones - you should be stood by your controller *doing* something. The end.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:49 PM - 4 January, 2017
Don't get it twisted. If the wireless headphones had the same response time as wired headphones, then they would be dope. No wires to trip over, or jacks breaking off in a mixer after the infamous accidental mixer TUG that we've all done. The concept is great.
akakak 2:50 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
Don't get it twisted. If the wireless headphones had the same response time as wired headphones, then they would be dope. No wires to trip over, or jacks breaking off in a mixer after the infamous accidental mixer TUG that we've all done. The concept is great.

Oh, yeah, no question. It would be awesome. But it's not happening from an analogue port.
Dj AR1 6:44 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:

thanks, finally some one get the idea.
it just an idea...
its nothing mandatory.

thanks for all your opinions.
Laz219 4:19 AM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:

The one reason I hate how light HD25s are...so easy to forget you have them on and walk off.
That being said, I've barely ever had the cable get in the way and cause me problems, I'd rather than simplicity of a cable and to avoid the aformentioned latency.
I've linked into home amps before that have a small delay between my mixer and the speakers and it makes it, not impossible but incredibly frustrating to mix.
djruff1 6:17 PM - 2 March, 2018
Quote:
djruff1 6:18 PM - 2 March, 2018
heck give it a try
tEEonEz 1:44 AM - 23 April, 2018
Not sure if this is still an open discussion, but I'm launching a solution to the wireless headset problem over at www.natus.one .. its a low latency lossless transmitter and receiver designed specifically for DJs and small home studios. It has a fixed low latency of 16ms which enables even superfast scratches etc. Have a look :)
Aptidda 4:06 PM - 23 April, 2018
AR1, you joking with that profile pic right?
Fyllur 4:07 PM - 7 August, 2018
I'd like to inform you that due to the nature of how signal is transmitted there will ALWAYS be some latency. Zero latency is a scientifical nonsense. The only thing you care of whether the latency is less or higher that the ability of humans to hear it.
Musical instrument is playable at 5ms for most people.

Wireless radio signal is quick enough for the latency to be unhearable pretty much the same as quick as for an electric signal to travel inside a metallic cable. The concern there is the sources of noise that can get into the signal. But for most applications this is not really relevant. Cables are safe and the air usually is not cluttered with other radio signals in specific radio ranges. (well ... usually)

An example:
This is probably not the best option for live DJ gigs but at home I'm using Sennheiser RS 195 plugged to the whole sound system. Most of the latency is intruduced by the digital parts like my Mac or the soundcard. Not the headphones. The audio is transmitted as a radio signal hence it travels freaking fast.

Bluetooth on the other hands can have significant latency of hundreds of milliseconds which is not only hearable moreover it is in the range of rhytms. Mixing the same two signals with this delay will effectively create a delay effect or a rhythm. Which is a big NO to use it for live playing.

An example:
I'm using Bose QuietComfort 35 II which are perfect BT headphones but when I connect them to the same software on mac (ableton, DJay2 etc.) the latency makes it impossible to use for serious for live playing. If you just want to preview the next song and do not rely on perfect sync that you need to do manually then this is still a working solution.

cheers
Rebelguy 7:12 PM - 7 August, 2018
Is it possible to have a wireless headphone system which will be useable for a live DJ situation?

Yes

Is this $25 option the one to do it?

Probably not.

Musicians use IEM setups at most major concerts nowadays. It is done with minimal issues. These are 4 figure systems though.
Aptidda 3:32 PM - 8 August, 2018
I just dropped 2 racks on this system to try for wireless mixing:

www.sweetwater.com

It is mediocre performance at best, Ill hold on to it just to say I have a wireless system. But probably not worth it for the average peon.
Rebelguy 7:56 PM - 8 August, 2018
Quote:
I just dropped 2 racks on this system to try for wireless mixing:

www.sweetwater.com

It is mediocre performance at best, Ill hold on to it just to say I have a wireless system. But probably not worth it for the average peon.

Wrong system for this application. You wasted your parent’s money again.
Aptidda 8:14 PM - 8 August, 2018
Ya it didn't work as I had hoped. Oh well, ill just keep it anyway.
ironwood0116 11:04 AM - 19 September, 2018
i would suggest you to check these two guides to find best wireless earbuds these days, www.pollowers.com and www.bestbuy.com
tEEonEz 12:15 AM - 21 October, 2018
Malty Mickhouse 1:54 AM - 23 April, 2020
If your mixer could delay the outputs or gave you control of it, it could be an option maybe, you may need to control the monitor outputs and the main outputs seperately, and sync them with your headphone output. I'm sure many club systems have to manage delay anyway. It would be interesting to experiment with, I don't know if scratching or even beatmatching would be harder or the same or impossible. All this for wireless headphones.
DJ Tecniq 8:05 AM - 23 April, 2020
No bad idea. I have used AirPods through SDJ’s offline player. There is delay 1-2 sec delay whenever I press the play button so you’re mixes and cue’ing will be off.