Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Dell Xps 13 vs Macbook pro 13 (wo Touch strip)

DJ Marv the Maverick 4:35 PM - 3 January, 2017
looking to get a laptop for mundane stuff such as work and perhaps a back up to my 15 MBP.

I haven't used Windows in 6 years.

Last Windows I used was XP.

I'm caught between buying between the XPS13 FHD non touch screen vs the new MBP 13 without the touch bar.

How is Windows 10, does one still need antivirus with Windows?

Is Windows 10 easy to use?

Price wise my configuration of both is in around €1200 but the Dell has the 7th gen Cpu vs the 6th on the MBP 13

I kinda suspect Apple might update the laptop in 2017 but then who knows Dell will be on the 8th gen CPU.

Anyways thought I'd get some feedback before I buy either.
Scully DJ Services 12:17 AM - 7 January, 2017
I'd recommend that you get a last gen XPS13 with a Skylake chip as the new ones have worse batteries and a bit louder fans. The Kaby Lake CPU also performs almost identical to its Skylake predecessor. I own a Skylake XPS13 and it is the best laptop I've ever used.

I would recommend buying one of these: www.ebay.com I bought mine from these guys and it was literally brand new. No marks on it or anything. I also have a good friend that bought the same one as me and his was new as well.

I would also highly suggest getting the touch screen model as it is actually really enjoyable to scroll through webpages with it and whatnot. By going with the 4K screen, you do lose a marginal amount of battery life, but it looks wonderful and I still get 10ish hours of battery with normal use on mine.

As for Windows 10, I personally love it. One of my main gripes though is the start menu, but that is easily remedied by going to ninite.com and downloading Classic Start. I really like how Windows 10 handles multitasking with being able to snap windows to any corner/side of the screen. Cortana also sucks too since it only uses Bing, but you can easily make it disappear. As for antivirus, Windows Defender does a good enough job as long as you aren't careless with your machine, but I personally keep Malwarebytes loaded on mine and do a scan every couple of months or when I feel like it just to make sure everything is still running in tip top shape.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:21 AM - 11 January, 2017
ordered the Kabylake XPS13 with the i7 processor and 8gb of ram.

I was going for the i5 model but a retailer had the i7 for just 50 quid difference. So I was like I might as well.

I was even look at the Spectre 360 but I hate HP with a passion, I still remember my old machine from Uni, HP Pavilion, that shit could burn a house down.

I also don't trust the hinges of the 360 to last only a matter of time before it starts to malfunction.
Scully DJ Services 3:58 AM - 12 January, 2017
Quote:

I was going for the i5 model but a retailer had the i7 for just 50 quid difference. So I was like I might as well.

I was even look at the Spectre 360 but I hate HP with a passion, I still remember my old machine from Uni, HP Pavilion, that shit could burn a house down.

I also don't trust the hinges of the 360 to last only a matter of time before it starts to malfunction.

Sweet. I hope you enjoy it. Did you get the touch screen model? Feel free to PM if you have any questions about anything regarding it. And yeah, I'm not a fan of the Spectre line IMO. Sacrificing performance and usability all for a bit less thickness.
Scully DJ Services 4:14 AM - 12 January, 2017
Also, I'd HIGHLY recommend going to Dbrand and ordering yourself a skin for the lid of the XPS. I personally have the black carbon fiber one and love it. It protects the lid from scratches and it looks super nice. You can also buy skins for the trackpad and bottom of it, but I don't like the feel of a trackpad skin and the one one the bottom is a PITA to install and you can't even see it. The one on the lid is great though. They also have 1$ shipping right now so its a good time to grab one.

dbrand.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:05 PM - 12 January, 2017
I bought the non touch version.

That's what I need.

I will check out the skins.

I will test it out with Serato just for fun and will let you know how I get on.

Peace
Scully DJ Services 2:15 PM - 12 January, 2017
👍 The only skin on there that I would stay away from is the white carbon fiber. Looks ugly in person. Everything else is great tho. My personal favs are the black carbon fiber, blue carbon fiber, matte black, and white marble.
Once you get the laptop, immediately head over to the Dell website and download the BIOS update for your model. I didnt update mine for a bit, but once I did performance got a bit smoother than it already was and battery life increased a good amount.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:58 PM - 13 January, 2017
is there a way to make Serato bigger on screen other than just increasing the font size?

it's a pretty snappy laptop, Windows seem to have come a very long way.

trackpad gesture ✔️
windows search ✔️

though I don't plan to gig with this device I will still like to put it through its paces.
Scully DJ Services 8:07 PM - 13 January, 2017
In settings/display did you set scaling to 200%?

I personally got rid of Cortana as it was annoying, and I replaced the standard start menu with Classic Start, which IMO is much better.

Trackpad gestures rock. You can customize them if youd like within the settings menu.

Did you get the BIOS update from dell website yet?
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:14 AM - 14 January, 2017
Yes did the updates, audio drivers, video card, bios etc

Wave form is stuttering though, but doesn't affect the sound.

I will dive into the display settings when I get home.
Scully DJ Services 9:15 PM - 14 January, 2017
Another option is to manually set the resolution to 1920x1080 and not use scaling. It won't look as sharp, but it should help with Serato
lenacantwell 9:09 AM - 20 March, 2017
Windows 10 is easy to use. It has play store like one we use in mobile to download app. Importantly anti-virus is requires for Windows10. Choice is yours now chose wisely.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:19 PM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Windows 10 is easy to use. It has play store like one we use in mobile to download app. Importantly anti-virus is requires for Windows10. Choice is yours now chose wisely.

i was having issues with mcafee, it kept causing poor WiFi connectivity. I uninstalled that and bought Kaspersky.
popnwave 10:00 PM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:

i was having issues with mcafee, it kept causing poor WiFi connectivity. I uninstalled that and bought Kaspersky.

I'd just use the built in Microsoft Security Essentials and keep the overhead to a minimum.
Scully DJ Services 2:02 AM - 21 March, 2017
Kaspersky is a great tool. We use it on everyones' machines at the company I work at and it does a great job. On my personal machines though, I like to just use Windows Defender along with a quick scan through Malwarebytes Free whenever I feel like it. Works great as long as you aren't careless with your computer usage.

I try to keep background processes to a minimum to help boost battery life even more, so not having a full fledged antivirus running constantly helps with that.
Mick Epius 10:05 AM - 24 May, 2017
Quote:

Hi there ,

May I know from where did you order our laptop?

I'm torn between xps 13 and the macbook pros. And the prices on various websites with various models are making me confused : touch, non touch, 6th gen, 7th gen, i5 , i7..

The listed prices are not consistent as well.

any advice?

Thx
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:28 AM - 25 May, 2017
eBay
Gandalf_93 2:11 PM - 9 July, 2017
On my Mac installed this protection program. I'm completely calm macsecurity.net