DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DBX goRack

RonDu 4:26 PM - 3 January, 2017
Happy New Year All,

Any of you guys/gals/others using this piece of equipment? I haven't heard it in use yet but I am inquiring if it something worth getting as far as sound enhancement. I feel as though my speakers and sub sound ok as is but if it could make them sound even better I would be highly interested in getting one.

Also, what would be the best way to route this? Out to the tops then to the sub or the other way around?

Thanks
Ulrich von Hurtem 5:18 PM - 3 January, 2017
I like mine. I've only used it a couple times. I don't use it for DJing; I just use it for announcing roller derby. Mixs two mics, compressor, anti feedback, small, affordable, simple.

Compressor; very nice.
EQ: Presets only, so of limited use.
Sub synth: Nice if your music has less bass than your PA can produce.
Anti feedback: Glad to have it. I suppose, if it's working well, I won't know it's there.
Mute button: Handy for mics with no switch.

What are you hoping to get from the goRack?
What gear do you have now?

Routing: between mixer/controller, and active crossover. Active subs often contain an active crossover, as do a few power amps. I use a rackmount, Rane AC22b crossover.
577er 6:12 PM - 3 January, 2017
For $30 it's pretty handy. I use one between a dj mixer and a line mixer or between mics and a line mixer. It adds very basic EQ and a sub synth which will boost up the bass. Anti-feedback is very handy for mics.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:03 PM - 3 January, 2017
I mainly have used it for my mics. It works great.
RonDu 2:56 PM - 4 January, 2017
Oh, so it appears that you guys pretty much use it for mics. I thought it would be like an exciter or something for the audio.
Logisticalstyles 3:56 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
I thought it would be like an exciter or something for the audio.

That's how I use it. It's also great for mics as well. There's a lot of different situations where it can come in handy. For $30 it was just what I needed.
RonDu 4:18 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I thought it would be like an exciter or something for the audio.

That's how I use it. It's also great for mics as well. There's a lot of different situations where it can come in handy. For $30 it was just what I needed.

In your opinion, is the adudio enhanced?
RonDu 4:18 PM - 4 January, 2017
*audio
Logisticalstyles 4:57 PM - 4 January, 2017
Yes, it enhances the audio in my opinion. I once had a friend over and was playing some music without the GoRack engaged for about 30 minutes and then turned on the Eq then Compressor for the GoRack. He was blown away by the difference. I don't use the anti-feedback very often and the Sub Synth will add some extra bottom to your sound. I was told to only use the Sub Synth when using an actual sub though.
RonDu 6:48 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
Yes, it enhances the audio in my opinion. I once had a friend over and was playing some music without the GoRack engaged for about 30 minutes and then turned on the Eq then Compressor for the GoRack. He was blown away by the difference. I don't use the anti-feedback very often and the Sub Synth will add some extra bottom to your sound. I was told to only use the Sub Synth when using an actual sub though.

Cool. I think I'm gonna go cop one.

Thanks guys!
Ferdinand Castro 2:26 PM - 28 October, 2017
I need your help... after playing for a hour the sound from the System starts playing like a robot and is choppy, distorted and sounds horrible. I adjusted my buffer to 10 and Still the same problem. I unplugged the gorack and perfection. Why is my Go rack compressing my Music? What setting do I need?
577er 2:40 PM - 28 October, 2017
How did you have the go rack setup? Which features were on, at what number and where in the signal chain was it?

I've used it post controller and pre line mixer. It definitely adds some noise to a system but the anti feedback is great. The EQ presets work well for me. Haven't had this issue but I have found with some speakers the goRack is does not have enough output volume to dive them without having to turn the speakers up.
RonDu 3:53 PM - 30 October, 2017
Quote:
Haven't had this issue but I have found with some speakers the goRack is does not have enough output volume to dive them without having to turn the speakers up.

This I have noticed as well. I find I have to turn the speaker volume up 3 o'clock or higher.
RonDu 3:54 PM - 30 October, 2017
Someone also told me to just plug it into the Mic input in the back of the speakers. It does sound tremendously louder but would that be harming my speakers if I did that?
Sharod 6:48 PM - 30 October, 2017
Quote:
Someone also told me to just plug it into the Mic input in the back of the speakers. It does sound tremendously louder but would that be harming my speakers if I did that?

Never do this.
I too have had the same issue with the gorack. Bought a dbx PA2 and never looked back.
RonDu 9:28 PM - 30 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Never do this.

I too have had the same issue with the gorack. Bought a dbx PA2 and never looked back.

Glad I didn't. Thanks
djdonnydee 5:28 PM - 2 November, 2017
i had this happen to me using it with VCI 380 and it happened twice when it was unbalance so i stopped using it until i used it again with my 62 balanced this time. Everything worked great ... was your gorack to mixer balanced ?
RonDu 11:57 PM - 2 November, 2017
Quote:
i had this happen to me using it with VCI 380 and it happened twice when it was unbalance so i stopped using it until i used it again with my 62 balanced this time. Everything worked great ... was your gorack to mixer balanced ?

Balanced going into the goRack or out of it?
RonDu 11:58 PM - 2 November, 2017
You run the goRack into a mixer THEN your speakers?
RonDu 2:37 PM - 3 November, 2017
I think I'm gonna eliminate the goRack from my setup. Without it I have more control of my EQ and I can leave the speaker volume at 12 rather than pushing it at 3 or higher.

Or should I use it going into my outboard mixer which goes out to my speakers?

When I have time I guess I will have to mess around it.
djdonnydee 4:14 PM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Balanced going into the goRack or out of it?

i had mine unbalanced from gorack to speaker ... it worked good for about 3-4 hours unbalanced than it sounded bad.