Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Beatport vs. Traxsource

John Calipari 6:46 PM - 30 December, 2016
I've bought my AIFF House music pretty much exclusively from Beatport for years, not the least of which reason is because Beatport has a proper OSX App.

Anyone have experience or Feedback purchasing from Traxsource?
Detroitbootybass 5:23 PM - 31 December, 2016
I use Beatport if the song I am after can only be purchased there... but if it is available at Traxsource, I happily use them over Beatport.

Beatport has always been Euro-centric and its 'House' music is pretty much devoid of soul and lacks any meaningful connection to the roots of real House music.

Brian Tappert founded and runs Traxsource and he's been a part of the scene for decades as a DJ, producer, and label owner.

Beaport's House selection is more mainstream, fist-pumping, festival music. Traxsource's House music is typically more underground - they both can branch a bit in either direction, but the generality holds up pretty well.
deejdave 7:34 PM - 31 December, 2016
Kado............. look into it!!!

djtechtools.com

www.digitaldjtips.com

www.getkado.com

If you use Beatport this tool is too valuable for words. Not the biggest fans of DJTechtools team do to their extreme prejudice over Serato (mainly in favor of Traktor) but they certainly got something right here. I got a statistic e-mail from them last week showing most played genres, sub genres, artists etc. and the info I learned is priceless.............
John Calipari 7:45 PM - 31 December, 2016
Quote:
I use Beatport if the song I am after can only be purchased there... but if it is available at Traxsource, I happily use them over Beatport.

Beatport has always been Euro-centric and its 'House' music is pretty much devoid of soul and lacks any meaningful connection to the roots of real House music.

Brian Tappert founded and runs Traxsource and he's been a part of the scene for decades as a DJ, producer, and label owner.

Beaport's House selection is more mainstream, fist-pumping, festival music. Traxsource's House music is typically more underground - they both can branch a bit in either direction, but the generality holds up pretty well.

Cool, I have just registered for a Traxsource account, and just in time with the 15% New Years discount.

Beatport seems cheaper by .50Cents most of the time and they run better discounts (20% - 50%) throughout the year, but Traxsource has some tracks that BP just doesn't have.

I was 2nd guessing TrxSrc after reading where DJ Sneak came out ripping them earlier this year, and also on the TrxSrc's threatening disclaimer that during encoding, they encrypt each file with the Buyers info to discourage sharing.

I like Soulfuric so TS will be at least my 2nd go-to after BP.
deejdave 8:01 PM - 31 December, 2016
Also I have a VERY healthy STEMS collection and Beatport as well as Traxsource become a very real necessity for myself.
John Calipari 8:17 PM - 31 December, 2016
Quote:
Also I have a VERY healthy STEMS collection and Beatport as well as Traxsource become a very real necessity for myself.

Have you ever compared waveforms of identical WAV or AIFF's bought from each, maybe using Logic or Ableton? Wondering if one of the encoding engines is better than the other
deejdave 6:37 PM - 1 January, 2017
Using Audacity yes. They seem to be identical but I only did this with two files as I did not want to invest too heavily into files I already purchased LOL. I feel like the BP files were "louder" and caused a few clips but I may be making this up in my head............. I did it so long ago.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:04 PM - 1 January, 2017
i found beatport cheaper by up to 50cents per track, same track same edit.

last week I was going to buy some newer funk tracks from traxxsource but at the last minute decided to compare with BP, and got a better deal
John Calipari 2:32 AM - 2 January, 2017
Quote:
i found beatport cheaper by up to 50cents per track, same track same edit.

last week I was going to buy some newer funk tracks from traxxsource but at the last minute decided to compare with BP, and got a better deal

I generally found the same price gaps, at least for standard price, and promotional deals. BP will always be my first stop, but TrxSrc may be my second as Traxsource does have some more obscure tracks that BP just doesn't have or tracks that didn't encode to BP servers correctly, thus have low db or sound terrible.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:32 AM - 2 January, 2017
The ones I got sounded very great.

Came to €25 with the NYE10 promo code applied.

On Traxxsource I was looking at around $33 with promo code applied.
deejdave 3:16 AM - 3 January, 2017
Quote:
The ones I got sounded very great.

Came to €25 with the NYE10 promo code applied.

On Traxxsource I was looking at around $33 with promo code applied.

Any reason for the different currency? Not really sure if this is on purpose or accident as the numbers wouldn't be that different.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:30 AM - 3 January, 2017
I'm in Ireland which is a Euro currency zone.

Traxxsource gives me USD pricing, tracks are $1.99 mostly

Beatport starts at €1.30 (minus VAT)
John Calipari 1:58 PM - 3 January, 2017
I'm on Mac OSX and it's just so convenient that BeatPort has a proper 64-bit Mac APP UI.
deejdave 2:56 AM - 4 January, 2017
I have always steered very clear of any/all third party library apps with the exception of Rekord Buddy which I still do not use for organizing or editing. With the exception of STEMS I don't purchase nearly enough from BO to warrant using their app.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:43 AM - 13 January, 2017
I also prefer Traxsource. Like Detroitbootybass said, Beatport is more fist pumpish Euro House while Traxsource generally has what I need OR LIKE.

Traxsource does have an iPhone App - iphone.traxsource.com but kinda clunky

I also use the Traxsource downloader App when buying a bunch of files (more than 4 or 5 at a time) downloader.traxsource.com

One thing I mentioned on this forum a while back is that the genre definitions are quite different.

If you look at the Beatport 100 for Deep House www.beatport.com - it is quite different from the Traxsource Deep House 100 www.traxsource.com

The traxsource 100 is that "real shit" lol.

Uggggghhh out of the Beatport 100 deep house - only 1 or 2 of the Top 10 sounded "playable" - rest was tech house or trance-ish bullshit....

I don't buy much on Beatport (only when can't find on Traxsource or itunes) but totally forgot I had the beatport App installed - wonder if I need to update it?
kbscholar 7:45 PM - 12 September, 2017
I have been a long time Traxsource supporter, since the days of Stompy ended. I really enjoy the underground selections, the organization, and the music player on Traxsource.

However, once I complete my cart on Traxsource, I will try to find the same track/remix on Beatport, because Beatport is typically 25% cheaper. That really adds up quickly.
John Calipari 2:27 AM - 17 September, 2017
Quote:
I have been a long time Traxsource supporter, since the days of Stompy ended. I really enjoy the underground selections, the organization, and the music player on Traxsource.

However, once I complete my cart on Traxsource, I will try to find the same track/remix on Beatport, because Beatport is typically 25% cheaper. That really adds up quickly.

Beatport has been on a run where they will do a 3 step level up to 50% off storewide

Week 1 they offer 15% for the first 2 days, then 10% off for the remainder of the week

If you redeem the Level Week 1 code with on at least 1 track purchase, you unlock Level Week 2 code for the 2nd week which is 25% for the first 2 days, and 20% off the remaining week.

If you redeem the Level 2 code on at least 1 track purchase, you unlock Level Week 3 code which is 50% off. This is where I really go off and grab everything in my hold bin

Note that the % off only applies to the Price of the track in MP3 format. The AIFF/WAV lossless fees are still an extra .75 Cents per regardless of the Promo Codes.

I've also noticed that Beatport's tracks, at least in AIFF, already come keyed so I don't need to analyze them for Key, just beatgrid.
DJ Levv 12:52 PM - 6 October, 2017
Beatport, their system works so much better than that broken website Traxsource hosts. I'm not much of a bargain hunter, DJ'ing is my profession and I want my music quick.

Iv'e had some run ins with the broken PayPal system of Traxsource and everytime something went wrong my account was locked and everytime they came up with a different excuse. After 5 times I just ignored them and never went back to Traxsource.
DJ Levv 10:22 PM - 8 October, 2017
Quote:
Beatport, their system works so much better than that broken website Traxsource hosts. I'm not much of a bargain hunter, DJ'ing is my profession and I want my music quick.

Iv'e had some run ins with the broken PayPal system of Traxsource and everytime something went wrong my account was locked and everytime they came up with a different excuse. After 5 times I just ignored them and never went back to Traxsource.

It seems that the issue has been resolved and more quick than I initially thought. They unlocked the account within 10 minutes due to an error in their system they just forgot to email me and there was a mix up in the registered account.

Well credit where credit is due, it all seems to work fine now, traxsource not so bad after all.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:10 PM - 9 October, 2017
Quote:
Well credit where credit is due, it all seems to work fine now, traxsource not so bad after all.

Traxsource is pretty good on customer support. One cool thing is that the can reactivate tunes that you have previously purchased.

I had a hard drive mishap where I lost most of music library from T - Z with my last backup being over 6 months old. I had access to and mass back up of record pool files but my only House was on that Mac.

I still find songs that I am missing. just shoot a email and they can reactivate the downloads,

Wonder does Beatport do that? I only have bought a handful from Beatport - not enough to "lose any".
John Calipari 10:39 PM - 9 October, 2017
I'm familiar with the Beatport Desktop APP and Website.

Although how Beatport categorizes genre is for shit sometimes.

Quote:
Wonder does Beatport do that?

I have inadvertently downloaded a track I had already purchased on another EP. I shot Beatport CS an email, and they credited my account. But what your describing would be great customer support by Traxxsource indeed.
Kleomantre 10:21 AM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:

I cannot say much about the catalogue of Beatport, which may well be rather on the commercial side of EDM.

I do hope that detroitbootybass doesn't mean that Europe is only a place of commercial music which lacks soul, vibe, heart. Although the US (i recall Detroit) is where house was founded, the States have not played much of a significant role in development on the production side of this music. Europe (UK/France/Germany/Netherlands in particular) is where house music was mostly developped into various directions.

I can understand why judgement may be clouded for the 'real 'music fans as ever since 2002 or so the commercial side of dance branched out to the States and Canada. Or better put mainstream US-artist/producers gave a podium to European producers and their sound. At first it was remixing stuff, then later it became collaborations when the general American public seemed ready for this sound. Suddenly there was so much fame and cash to gain that over the whole scene commercialization has become a key factor. That might give that idea Euro-stuff is soulless and such. Just don't forget that back in 2002 the average student in the US called everything 'techno', whether it would be deep house or hardcore. I know that by own experience.

Now i do have some issue with finding some soulful, european tracks as well from the past. Neither Beatport nor Traxsource seem to have the nicest remix/productions from Yoogie van Bellen (Saints & Sinners). Luckily though Oliver Lieb has remastered much of his past work and that has become widely available.

Who would know an online store to find much stuff from 1997-2005?
John Calipari 2:07 PM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
Who would know an online store to find much stuff from 1997-2005?

Ebay & a good USB turntable for conversion may be your best option here.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:12 PM - 20 November, 2017
Quote:
Although the US (i recall Detroit) is where house was founded, the States have not played much of a significant role in development on the production side of this music. Europe (UK/France/Germany/Netherlands in particular) is where house music was mostly developped into various directions.

Hmmm,,,, I'm sure Detroitbootybass will chime in but as far as the Origins of House here in the States...

True House Music started in Chicago around the same time Techno was emerging in Detroit

New York - early Disco, New Wave, and Electro influence Detroit and Chicago in late 70's early 80's.

Detroit - Italio Disco, Electro, Garage and Funk influence Techno - early 80s.

Chicago - Disco, Garage and Italio Disco influence House