DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need to learn Dj terminology

Ramamoon 11:00 PM - 27 December, 2016
so i am a 13 y/o aspiring idm/edm music producer. and i am just getting into djing, and i havea numark mixtrack pro 3 and serato intro. i want to learn more, but i cant sustain a large cost, i just need to know the terminology of some things so i can get my feet off the ground. Thanks, ( and if you wanna check out my soundcloud, i have a new track dropping soon.
soundcloud.com/ramamoon. )
deezlee 3:38 AM - 28 December, 2016
Fresh = good
DJ Reflex 3:58 AM - 28 December, 2016
"Sync" is all you need to know.
SeriousCyrus 11:08 PM - 28 December, 2016
Most of the simple DJ stuff is easy? Most off it is written out on the mixer.... Google provides.

It starts getting complex when you start playing around with sound and how fx and sound manipulation work, you can get university degrees in that.

You might be better off asking what terms you don't understand, or describe the situation you think will have terminology.
Tommy Deem 5:28 PM - 29 December, 2016
Youtube -> dj lessons
Code:E 11:47 AM - 8 January, 2017
Quote:
idm

WTF is IDM. Dont tell me the "intelligent dance music" craze is a thing again. Fucking stuck up douche bags. think there 4x4 beat is better than anything else out there.
Quote:
You might be better off asking what terms you don't understand, or describe the situation you think will have terminology.

+1

You can't spend (at the point) too much time on the internet reading and learning.

Start building you library and developing a organization system that works for you. This will save you 1000's of hours in the future. Watch youtube video and start learning music theory. Start playing an instrument and practice everyday. Record what you do and listen to how bad it is. You will get better, and if your into it it wont take long.
Laz219 1:30 AM - 10 January, 2017
Was IDM a thing? I never heard that one..... definitely does sound douchey.
dj_soo 11:54 PM - 12 January, 2017
Late 90s - mid 00s.

Super pretentious crowd of chin strokers.

Some of the music was cool, but the whole scene was douchey.

Any genre that feels the need to put "intelligent" in front of it is just asking for mockery.
Laz219 2:39 AM - 13 January, 2017
I looked it up after seeing this, doesn't seem like I missed much!